Arrow/Flash Spinoff Swoops In and Casts Pippin Star as Hawkgirl

Arrow Flash Spinoff Hawkgirl Ciara Renee Cast

Broadway star Ciara Renée will spread her wings on the much-talked-about Arrow/Flash spinoff, our sister site Deadline reports.

The potential CW series, which will feature characters from both series, has cast the Pippin actress as Kendra Saunders, a woman who has recently learned that she’s been reincarnated many times. Make her angry, and she reverts to her ancient warrior persona… and sprouts wings out of her back. (Hence, Hawkgirl.)

PHOTOS Supergirl Vs. Wonder Woman, Black Canary and More: Which Crimefighting Costume Is Most Super?

Reneé’s Hawkgirl is likely not one of the “mystery” characters to which the production has alluded; those characters are said never to have been seen on screen before, and Hawkgirl (then played by Sahar Biniaz) appeared on Smallville.

As previously reported, the proposed “team-up” spinoff will also star Arrow‘s Brandon Routh (who plays Ray/The Atom), Caity Lotz (formerly Sara/Canary), The Flash‘s Victor Garber (Dr. Martin Stein/half of Firestorm), Wentworth Miller (Leonard Snart/Captain Cold) and Dominic Purcell (Heat Wave).

Renée also appeared in the Broadway production Big Fish and on an episode of Law & Order: SVU.

Thoughts on the casting? Sound off in the comments!

1. MeJ says:

This spin-off is getting increasingly random. Although Hawkgirl is officially the only exciting thing about it so far.

• Dude says:

Agreed. It feels like they were like “Well…with Supergirl at CBS, we officially have nothing worthwhile to spin-off. Guess we’ll bring in a mess of people and hope it sticks, lord know we can’t go with an original idea.” This is the epitome of unnecessary.

• I have feeling that they are just testing the waters here.
        I believe they will have heroes coming and going in the first 10 episodes, almost like a test drive… And based on the reaction of the public, schedules, chemistry and what not, they will chose the real set of the “league” and keep the rest in a guest capacity.

• Websnap says:

“Agreed. It feels like they were like “Well…with Supergirl at CBS, we officially have nothing worthwhile to spin-off. Guess we’ll bring in a mess of people and hope it sticks, lord know we can’t go with an original idea.””

Nothing worthwhile? They literally have a stable of characters to pull from with decades of stories to mine. I can just about guarantee Super Girl didn’t even factor in their plans. Just about every DC character has interacted with each other in one way or another. You only need Super Girl if you want to tell a Super Girl story.

• Virgil says:

I am trying to stay positive and believe that there is indeed method to this madness, thus why I keep proposing ridiculous theories that this is something other than a bad team series.

2. Virgil says:

This show gets wackier and wackier with each announcement. I have two theories: 1) It’s an anthology-style “Bold and the Brave” show with rotating characters and stories (one of which is a Black Canary story set in the past) or 2) It’s going to be a Justice Society show – maybe set on an alternate Earth – which explains Caity Lotz. Maybe Ray Palmer’s ATOM suit breaches the multiverse and he ends up on Earth-2 where he joins a team of heroes and reformed villains?

• JC says:

They already stated it is a team up show. They would not make CL contract just for flashbacks imo.

• A team up show is not a team show.

I think the idea that people have that this is going to be one big team is insane. There’s no way they’d be able to fit all these characters they’ve announced in one show and make it work. And why would Captain Cold and Heat Wave be in a team with Atom and Hawkgirl?

I look to the 2007 revamp of The Brave and the Bold as what kind of show this could be. Every episode teams up 2-3 characters to tell individual stories, but those individual stories are all chapters in one larger story that eventually leads to them all teaming up towards the end to take on the big bad and save the day.

• Virgil says:

Well, “team-up” show doesn’t necessarily mean team show, so it could still be a “Brave and the Bold” type of format. And I certainly hope that Caity Lotz is more than a flashback! I just read that Arthur Darvill (Rory, for you Whovians) has been cast as Rip Hunter – so time and/or dimensional travel could certainly be part of the story. I could also see this being a “52” type series where several seemingly disconnected stories slowly merge together over the course of a season.

• JC says:

Read any report about this show from the people behind it and you’ll see that they have stated that the characters on this show will be a team together.

• Wordsmith says:

I totally agree with your alternate-reality theory.

A few familiar faces, but set in a completely independent continuity, so that they don’t have to worry about accommodating the new craziness or incorporating it on the two older shows.

• Evan says:

Guys you are all missing something huge that is about to happen…. Barry Allen is going to go back in time and screw everything up trying to save his mother!!! Sara will have never died, Oliver will have become Ra’s Al Ghul, Ray Palmer never goes to Starling City and will build the ATOM suit in some other city! That is where we are headed my friends, as evidenced by the pictures that leaked with Oliver wearing the Ra’s costume

• Jon says:

“On a separate note, is it possible the hooded woman Ra’s was giving pointers to was either his OTHER daughter or … a resurrected Sarah Lance?”

Negative on both, Guggenheim confirmed that was Mesi Natifah/Talibah. A character introduced in the season 2.5 tie in comic books.

• Keano! says:

Guys, the flash can time travel, season three might end up in a whole new place

3. m3rcnate says:

Obviously i’ll give this a shot (love the Flash, enjoy the Arrow, loved Smallville) but this feels really random…and im anxious/worried to find out what the main plot of the show will be. When a show has just one main character, the main plot makes sense (for example if the main character was Hawk Girl, her mysterious reincarnated past + destined love for HawkMan would be the main plot). But with this random group of characters…whats the main plot?
    I worry they will over extend themselves with their budget, Arrow has already proven it cant afford good CGI for The Atom’s flying suit, now a girl with wings who flies?
    Overall as of right now i think i’d be more excited for a Martian Manhunter series, i think that would be awesome. Or a show about The Spectre, or Etrigan, or one of the best possibilities which is Nightwing. Have it be set right after he left Bruce to be Nightwing in his own city so hes not talking to Bruce at all. Then later in season..3 or 4 they can introduce Bruce Wayne, maybe even Batman.
    Also cool would be a live action Batman Beyond, a really old Bruce Wayne (set in the future) training Terry McGinnis…a high tech Batsuit…would be awesome. We be kinda like “Almost Human” but with Batman.
    So after all those awesome ideas that would be fantastic TV shows, they are going with a weird assortment of Atom, Hawkgirl, Cold Dude, Fire Dude, Fire Storm, Canary, etc.
    I will watch the show in general, but i will watch it more so for Caity Lotz.

• DougMac says:

TNT is already doing a Nightwing led Titans series

• m3rcnate says:

And right there, i am already more excited for that show which i have known about for 5 minutes, than i am for this CW show lol. If it wasn’t for Caity Lotz on this show my interest would be even lower.
        Just looked it up and im excited:

Robin / Nightwing…Dick Grayson.
        Batgirl / Oracle ……Barbara Gordon.
        Raven………………Rachel Roth
        Starfire……………..Koriand’r
        Hawk……………….Hank Hall
        Dove………………..Dawn Granger

Steven R. McQueen has been teasing his casting on Twitter, posting a series of photos. (He just quit TVD which would seem to line up with him making himself available for this show). I’m not saying im the biggest McQueen fan, but hes got the look and body for it, and TVD isn’t exactly high end writing to show off how good you can or cant act.

• Virgil says:

They teased The Spectre in the soon-to-be-doomed Constantine on NBC, so I am all for a full on Spectre series.

• m3rcnate says:

Yup i heard that too, and even if Constantine stayed on i dont think that should would have or could have given the Specter 1/100th the credit his character deserves. I mean that in terms of makeup, of CGI, of time spent flushing him out, and making his presence on screen be as epic as it should be.

4. James D says:

finally. I’ve been extremely disappointed with WB and DC with the lack of Hawkgirl and Hawkman on TV or Film. Smallville had Hawkman but their two of the best characters DC has and would make for a fantastic movie franchise, but i’ll take it on TV. Shayera is a total BAMF hope they do her justice.

5. Drew says:

I wish they would just tell us what this series is. It has been too long now, and each announcement that comes without context seems to make people less excited about this project.
    I’m sure I will watch it, but I find that I’m not super excited about it. If they told is that it was a Rip Hunter series that involves time travel that finds him interacting with other heroes, my enthusiasm would go way up. The mystery is working against it now.

6. I greatly enjoyed the mythology Johns built up around the Hawks, so I look forward to this. That said, I do prefer Katar and Shayera over Carter and Kendra.

7. AW says:

I’ll wait and see how this spin off goes!

8. tvones says:

You can only put so many in artow/flash. None some interesting enough to make their own show, so team up show is best. Its pretty hard to not like something you haven’t seen yet. Especially when its from same folks who do arrow n flash. Superman/Supergirl r probably the most boring of the superheroes. But I’ll give it a shot.

9. If super-heroin doesn’t work out, Hawkgirl, Supergirl, and Flash can become a band.

10. Joey Padron says:

awesome Hawkgirl will be on the show!

11. Lizo says:

Oh awesome!! I’ve never heard of Hawkgirl (not a DC gal), but she sounds awesome and I’m going to track down some of her comics.

• Jon says:

I would also recomend watching the old Justice League cartoon if you can get it (it’s on US Netflix), Hawkgirl is a major character there.

12. Ellie says:

I love superhero movie and tv shows (well some more than others), but I check out everything. This tv show is quickly sounding like a convoluted mess.

13. Ella says:

I don’t mind if this is a short series, like 10 episodes or something, but I don’t want Brandon Routh to leave Arrow and I am not interested in these other characters, nor am I interested in having TWO Black Canaries. Enough with the spin-offs already. Focus on maintaining the quality of the two shows you have because Arrow is suffering and you’re about to ship off one of the best things about season 3.

• Evan says:

I hope you aren’t talking about Ray Palmer being the best thing about Season 3!!! Most Arrow fans completely loathe Brandon Routh!

14. murley says:

Hawkgirl was actually on my list of potential characters who have never appeared because her “appearance” in Smallville was more of flashback or hallucination than actually appearing so I figured she was fair game. I am so curious about this show. I have faith because I love Arrow and the flash but I really have no idea what this show will look like and I am very curious.