James Marsters Joins Jenji Kohan's HBO Drama Pilot The Devil You Know

James Marsters The Devil You Know

HBO is turning James Marsters into a man of the cloth.

The Buffy alum is set to guest-star in the pilot for Jenji Kohan’s Salem Witch Trials drama The Devil You Know, playing Reverend George Burroughs — presumably not a fan of the ladies on trial.

He joins previously announced cast members Eddie Izzard (Hannibal) and Karen Gillan (Selfie), among others.

Marsters’ recent TV credits include recurring roles on Hawaii Five-0Witches of East End and Warehouse 13.

1. Shannon says:

I love this actor and look forward to seeing him in this new role. He has such depth as an actor and great charisma.

2. ninamags says:

I love James.

Spuffy forever!!!

3. Becky says:

You had me at James Marsters! <3 I'm in!!
    The premise is also very interesting.

4. Tashi says:

This is such great news! James is a very talented and versatile actor.

5. Such amazing news…I’ll watch James Marsters on anything!

6. mjkbk says:

“……playing Reverend George Burroughs — presumably not a fan of the ladies on trial……”

The character Marsters plays was a VICTIM, not an instigator, of the Salem Witch Trials.

• Thanks for saying that! I was just about to post a link to the wiki! I love this part:

Burroughs was described in a reading by Frances Hill,[who?] “George Burroughs was confident, strong-willed, and decisive, a man of action as well as a preacher, unusually athletic and clever enough to do well in Harvard. Short of stature, muscular, dark-complexioned, he was highly attractive to women, as is shown by his winning the hand of a rich widow as his second wife when he was a mere village minister.” He lived at Falmouth (now Portland, Maine) until it was destroyed by the Wabanaki in 1690. He moved to Wells, Maine, believing it would be safer as there were fewer Indian attacks there.

In May 1692, during the Salem witch trials, based on the accusation of some of his personal enemies from his former congregation who had sued him for debt, Burroughs was arrested and charged, among other offenses, with extraordinary weight lifting (lifted a musket with a finger in the barrel), and such feats of strength as could not be done without diabolical assistance.

7. Eva Czarnojanczyk says:

So looking forward to this show. The cast looks so talented, especially Eddie Izzard and James Marsters. If it’s half as good as “The Crucible” it should be a gripping show. Wishing the writers, cast and crew all the best.

8. They could not have cast a better actor than James Marsters to be a part of this HBO production. I do not yet subscribe to that channel but just may need to now! I have followed James’ acting career over the years since his time on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I have been impressed, amazed and entertained greatly by the various roles he has played, everything from historical icon to hated serial killer, cowboy to cop, wizard, witch, criminal, cult leader, robot, rock star, lawyer, doctor, immortal…He has been remarkably versatile, playing these different characters bringing all to such vivid life and remaining forever memorable. It is with not just a little bit of excitement but rather a great deal of enjoyment and pleasure that I look forward to yet another with James as George Burroughs. I know without doubt this is going to be good and James will be fabulous!

9. Maggie says:

Only a guest-star? When is he going to get his own show?

• Ray says:

Probably…never

• supportspike says:

Wouldn’t that be awesome! James really shines in anything that he’s in but to truly watch his character evolve over weeks or hopefully years would be amazing.

• If there is a well-written character that is described on paper and waiting to come alive, James can make that happen…and to see it develop through his particular talent and skill over time is Magic.

• Bostonfan says:

Couldn’t have said it better. James is an amazing actor. He would be great in his own show but for now I’m looking forward to HBO and hoping he may be in more than the pilot.

10. Loved his acting stint on Warehouse 13. Glad to see him back in action.

11. Pat says:

Great news, looking forward to seeing it.

12. Lizo says:

He is one of those actors why I don’t understand how he doesn’t have a regular gig on a show.

• One of the biggest mysteries…James truly is an under-utilized talent. These past few years, he has grown so much, gotten better and better. Any show would benefit having him as part of their cast. The people behind this HBO production hopefully have discovered that, and with such a wonderful list of actors and crew involved, I can see that “The Devil You Know” will be a success. Hope it gets much recognition.

• Carla Krae says:

Well, one reason is he puts family first (two kids), so when he’s had at least one long-term offer he had to turn it down because it was on the opposite coast.

• But his children are young adults now, well, close…one is already in college and one preparing to go in a few months. So, now he is perhaps free to work farther from his home. Since they are not so very young any more, he has filmed frequently in Vancouver over the past few years and traveled much more.

13. sue martin tebbetts says:

He has many talents.I can’t wait to watch this.my husband knows when I watch James not to bother me

14. Belle says:

Congratulations BlondieBear!! Oy those cheek bones! The could cut a diamond :-D

15. Hilary says:

If he’s in it, I will watch it. That’s all I need to know. Done deal. In.

16. HAP says:

I have to admit that when I first read that the cast included Eddie Izzard and Karen Gillan, my first thought was that this was going to some sort of parody.

17. Sparta says:

Spike, is that you?

18. Ro says:

That’s Spike?!?!

19. Brigid says:

Tee-Hee, I’m so happy! I love this man’s acting and will watch him in anything. Still have my 6 foot cardboard cut out of Spike my sister bought me MANY years ago for Christmas. He is the reason I watched BTVS and the most complex character Joss ever created. Can’t wait to watch him on my tv again!!!!<3

• supportspike says:

Totally agree with you! I haven’t been so excited about a new pilot in years and it’s all because James is going to be in it!!!

20. Maria Colon says:

It will be nice to see him on TV . I watch anything he is in .I have always like him and his rolls

21. JessicaGozz says:

Well I must give it a try! =)

22. AnnieM says:

How did I miss this article before now? Can’t wait to see this – LOVE him. :)

23. fitz46 says:

James Marsters is such a huge talent. I have never understood how he hasn’t picked another series. I know , when his kids were young, he wanted to stay close to home but he really deserves to be on another series. I’m of the mind that he needs a different agent (nothing personal against Himber but anyone can get him convention gigs). I think a bigger name, more influential agency would get him more and better work.I think he was with Paradigm at one point, he should think about going back. Either way, am thrilled he’s going to be on HBO.

24. Hi my name is shannon tengaru I from nz in auckland call me on 0210487380 mob phone

25. When will this TV show,The Devil You Know, start,on HBO?