Ratings: With Empire Out of the Mix, Only One 9 O'Clock Show Went Up...?

Who stood to inherit Empire‘s riches, in the wake of the well-watched Fox behemoth signing off? Would you believe, almost no one?

In their first outings since Empire finaled, CBS’ Criminal Minds (with 9.9 million total viewers and a 2.0 rating) dipped in audience plus a tenth in the demo, NBC’s SVU (6 mil/1.3) fell 22 and 19 percent (tying its series low) and ABC’s Modern Family (8.5 mil/2.8) slipped 11 and 18 percent. (black-ish fared a bit better, only dipping 3 and 9 percent, to 6.5 mil/2.1.)

In fact, of all the broadcast shows airing in Empire‘s 9/8c time slot, only The CW’s Supernatural (1.7 mil/0.7) saw any gain, rising a singular tenth in the demo while flat in audience.

Elsewhere on the night….

NBC | Bubble drama Mysteries of Laura (6.4 mil/1.0) dropped 16 and 29 percent; Chicago PD (6.3 mil/1.5) slipped 15 percent in audience while steady in the demo.

FOX | American Idol (8.3 mil/1.7) dropped 14 and 29 percent week-to-week.

CBS | Survivor (9.5 mil/2.2) ticked down, while CSI: Cyber (8.1 mil/1.4) was steady.

THE CW | Arrow (2.8 mil/1.0) added a few eyeballs plus a tenth in the demo.

ABC | The Middle (7.2 mil/1.) slipped 12 and 18 percent, The Goldbergs (6.7 mil/2.0) fell 15 and 20 percent and Nashville (4.1 mil/0.8) dropped 23 and 20 percent from last year’s “On the Record” special.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Starting to feel worried about CSI: Cyber. Any chances it could get past its rookie season?

• Timmah says:

I’m not sure why you’d want it to. That show is terrible.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Really? If only CBS wants Stalker back on the air which I never watched it since the beginning and it still scares the crap out of me if viewers can complain nor criticize about it. WARNING: try not to go all crazy on me.

• lechatnoir says:

Its god awful. It looks like its been shot circa 1999 , only the half baked plotlines are modern. They should kill it. Enough with them spin-off . Arquette is basically a diseuse de bonne aventure pretending to be a Ms Cop.

• Doug Henning says:

Cyber is certainly a jazzed up show and is still top 20 total viewers… I still think however if they put the original CSI back to Wednesdays, it would draw bigger numbers… I still have a feeling that the Original CSI will get a farewell short season.

2. Erika says:

All shows all down,down and down again.Its daytime saving times strikes again I think.

3. Winny says:

gooooo supernatural!

4. HeatherC says:

I know it was a slow night but how did the rest of NBC do, specifically Chicago PD? Wondering about that one since it’s been on hiatus for a few weeks. Thanks! =)

5. Belle says:

I think using these metrics to analyze viewer’s eyeballs needs to be changed. I can’t remember the last time I actually sat down to watch a show live…I DVR everything and watch when I can. At least each network dipped in ratings; still hope for our ‘Bubble Shows’ :)

6. TheFan says:

I have to hand it to Survivor….they have a loyal fan-base. This show could go on and on

7. Coach Taylor says:

Stick a fork in Idol!!

8. Maxsmom says:

I stayed on Fox with the second hour of American Idol but I am in mourning for the loss of Empire.

9. Cindy Bayne says:

To me Supernatural is the only show to watch on Wednesdays.

• kat says:

only show to watch most nights. rather watch a rerun of Supernatural than new episodes of other shows. they should put supernatural, Constantine (I haven’t given up hope) and Hannibal all in a row (I know different networks, but still) Also, toss in Grimm. these shows go so does cable because hey, Colbert is gone and Stewart is retiring. What’s left to watch?

10. ninamags says:

Yay Sam and Dean!!!

Next weeks episode looks great as well.

11. Nicole says:

The middle was awesome last night. Such an overlooked show that doesn’t go for the corny punch lines and is hilarious but doesn’t get much love. I laughed so hard last night!

12. For once I don’t blame Criminal Minds for slipping in demo and such. It wasn’t a really good episode last night. I just hope it gets better and we can let that one just slip out of our memory banks.

13. Lauren says:

American Idol dropped because a) It (seemingly) randomly showed up on a different night this week and b) because the first person to sing on the episode was David Hasselhoff. This does not equal ratings gold.

• ChicagoDan says:

Different night? It’s been airing on Wed for a long time.This season, it only took last week off for Empire finale.

• Timmah says:

Allegedly they don’t care about the 18-49s anymore and they’re just trying to solidify their 50+ viewership. And it shows.

14. Tori Coop says:

Lol SVU. And Warren Leight ran reruns for 3 weeks because he was scared to go up against Empire. You still failed, dude.

15. Teresa says:

Empire is a really good show but, Nothing tops Supernatural and Arrow.

16. Jude says:

Where the heck did all our loyal fans go ? Supernatural hardly ever draws fewer than 2.1 million…. In fact we see quite a few 2.18 to 2.3 watchers. I hope they all come back. This is really shaping up to be a strong ‘brotherly’ season. Even the Cole episode was a lot more enjoyable than his intro episode was. LONG LIVE SAM & DEAN !!!!!!!!!!!

17. kmw says:

You would have thought with Empire being gone someone would go up, good for Supernatural though.

18. Jaime says:

If they had left Supernatural on Tuesday nights they would have at least one more viewer. It is my favorite show but I work Wednesday night’s and don’t have a DVR so I can’t watch anymore, so angry they changed nights on me

19. Crystal says:

I’m so happy my Supernatural went up!!! I love that show!!

20. lisa ketchum says:

Supernatural is the best! So glad its renewed for season 11!! ITs the only show I make time for.

21. MILDRED Jones says:

SUPERNATURAL should go back Tuesday’s, Wednesday’s too complicated. With the 100 on break, where will the show go? l LOVE SUPERNATURAL

22. Castiella Winchester-Collins says: