Exclusive

General Hospital Anniversary Promo Teases Reveal of Luke's Dark Secret

Loading video...

What does one give for a 52nd anniversary? Closure, apparently.

ABC’s General Hospital on Wednesday, April 1, will at long last reveal the truth about what caused Luke Spencer’s (Anthony Geary) psychotic break, as promised in the new promo above (which will air during tonight’s Grey’s Anatomy).

Guest-starring in the episode will be Dee Wallace (E.T.), as Luke’s long-lost sister Patricia, who will help answer the long-brewing, dark questions.

Also to mark the anniversary, select scenes from the sudser’s April 1, 1963 debut will be recreated, with current cast playing characters of yesteryear — including Jason Thompson (Patrick) as Dr. Steve Hardy, Rebecca Herbst (Elizabeth) as Nurse Jessie Brewer and Ryan Carnes (Lucas) as Dr. Phil Brewer. Y’all best do John Beradino, Emily McLaughlin and Roy Thinnes proud!

What’s your current working theory on what Luke/Fluke has been blocking? And does it involve Mitch Laurence…? (‘Twas a joke, kids.)

1. J.B says:

Ouch a OLTL dig. Still not over it. Still not over it.

2. Dominique says:

i think you’ll be hardpressed to find someone who actually still cares about luke and his secrets.

• Jimmy Parrut says:

you’re so rude!

• Elizabeth says:

I think people care to the extent that it has completely ruined a 30 year story that many people thought was foundational to GH…. all for Tony Geary’s ability to crap on longtime fans who had the audacity to appreciate the character he played for decades…. and to seek his revenge on their appreciation. Ungracious narcissist. He should retire.

• TheMom51 says:

“Tony Geary’s ability to crap on longtime fans”? Since when does Tony write his own storylines? Carlivati has been the one screwing with the history of GH since he got here…not to mention screwing up and over the OLTL characters.

• Dee says:

i love Anthony Geary!

• Bobbie says:

Then don’t watch.

• Kids charms 55 says:

Your sure right wet Dream Mo Ron and a frankenturd murdered one life and now it’s onto GH. Many fans since the beginning ha left . I wonder after Tony retires how many loyal fans will stay ? . Under these 2 hacks they never oncin8 years wrote produced a winet with One Life. They’ve been here 2 years and not a single Emmy under their belt . The charad continues . And having these actors play the roles of the original cast is stupid they cou,d have used the real clips . Just another bullet to long time fans of gh since 1963 . They murdered it in 2011 and the massacre continues .

• Tina Brown says:

I agree. He doesn’t write his own lines. Wake up people. I do agree it’s a stupid story line and they need to end it already, but he’s not to blame for it. If they wanted to have all these OLTL people on the air they should have kept the show on, along with AMC,

• Why blame Geary? He’s ALWAYS done well with the product that he’s given (“Disorderlies”, for example).

I personally blame Carlivati, HE writes the shows. He did SO well with OLTL’s final shows. What happened?

• if he did so well why is it off the air (OLTL)

• Abe Froman says:

Because ABC was determined to cancel all its soaps.

• Chloe says:

GH had lower ratings than OLTL, but ABC cancelled OLTL instead. That decision was not about quality or ratings. They wanted to cancel all three, but eventually Brian Frons decided to keep GH, which he preferred over the others anyway.

• GH Lover says:

Betty if you actually read the comment it says ‘ He did SO well with OLTL’s final shows, and all good things need to come to an end.

• crumbsandwich says:

Not ruined at all don’t agree with anything you’ve said. Kind of a bizarre comment…

• Chris Z says:

I remember when Luke first came on GH, he raped Laura and was a slime bag, I never really understood how he got to be such a great guy from those roots but lol it is a soap opera after all and that really IS why we love them so much, this does actually fit in the missing pieces well, for me any way. It makes a LOT of sense I love the coming circle aspect to all of this. I think it’s going to be good

• Lori says:

Agree with you Elizabeth !

• Zenobia Jackson says:

Wow…I completely agree. So many people are so in love with the legacy of GH and Luke & Laura that they will accept anything…including the dreck that has been coming from the current show runners for a long time. Cartini is so enamored with Geary that he allowed him to lead the charge in this horrendous and drawn out story line as well as the destruction of the foundation of General Hospital. It’s also clear that Geary’s disdain for Genie Frances has played a part in Laura’s obvious absence from the canvas.

I think that so many viewer buy into the theory that GH’s near cancellation a couple years ago is making them accept GH in any form…including the terrible state that it is in now.

• Linda Rogers says:

Genie Frances is no longer on GH because she moved to England with her husband.I think Luke killed his dad years ago. Or Luke is really a twin to his cousin and his mother gave away one boy to his aunt or is it his uncle?

• Becky Hagerman says:

Genie Francis would love to return to GH but Tony Geary refuses to do LNL and she doesn’t live in England try California. TG and RC don’t. Want laura & Tony leaving laura/ Genie should be apart of the show.

• shirley says:

Genie Francis lives in Maine and runs her own business which is a little furniture place. I plan to go there to see it in September

• dman6015 says:

Yes, she did move to England at one point to be with her husband, but have since moved back to America (currently in Maine).

• MissMel says:

I don’t think it has anything to do with Geary.I’ve been watching GH since I was 3. My aunt actually kept me home from school on the day of Luke and Laura’s wedding and they were always one of my favorite couples. In recent years, I’ve felt like they were played out. It seemed to me like the producers/writers had done everything they could with them as a couple and it just felt stale.

The writers had plenty of opportunity to take Laura in a new direction by having her marry Scott and open the Serenity spa with Lucy. She wouldn’t have had to interact with Geary at all if he was really that against her. But they dropped both of those storylines before they even gave them a chance.

• Janet says:

No he is a great actor , so you shouldn’t say anything bad about him

• Cheryl TeBordo says:

I have watched for 30+ yrs. Honestly the story has gone on way too long. I really don’t care any more. I’m very disappointed with the writing of late. Many characters have become horrible. Tighten up the stories and shorten them PLEASE!

• mfarris70 says:

The ratings say otherwise. I’m here and I’m loving it! Speak for yourself, sister.

• crumbsandwich says:

Right here! That would be”me” :)

• crumbsandwich says:

I think not. Anthony Geary is a very talented actor and I enjoy him good or bad Luke.

• I actually care more about Luke and his family and his past than I do about Sonny, the mob, and nu-Jason

• I doubt that very much!!

• Best comment of the night !! GH has gone so far off the rails in the past few months – there are fewer and fewer of us who really care (and furthermore – it gets more and more difficult to watch Luke’s brutality – I know soaps are an “escape” from reality – but there are just too many who see their reality played OUT on GH any more – and it’s difficult to keep watching …

• coachy says:

I do. He is the best actor by far. Why do you watch if you don’t like it?

• donholley77 says:

Having watched Luke since day one, I care! Knowing the character’s history, this storyline makes perfect sense, & I’m loving it!

• I agree. T
      his story line has gone on to long and needs to wrap up already.

• Abbey Aznar says:

You are wrong. Many of us care!!!!!

• Lilliputs says:

I think you are very wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still care about him and this show. I’ve watched it since almost the beginning. I just wish Laura could be there now too. Love GH

3. BrightLight says:

This really should have included the words “after TWO years we finally learn Luke’s secret (that was probably already used on OLTL”) ;)
    I really hope it’s not an April Fool’s joke and that whole reasoning behind Luke’s transformation is finally revealed once and for all. I’ll admit I haven’t hated this SL as much as others but I’ll agree with everyone who says this has gone on for too long. I know part of the reason why this got extended was due to TG’s back surgery and recovery last year and I completely understand that, but they’ve had ample time since he’s return to have already done this. Maybe they were trying to stretch it out to the anniversary show for a reason, I don’t know. I will say I can’t wait to see Dee Wallace as Patricia though. I’ve been excited about this since I heard about it last month.

• BrightLight says:

Forgot my theory: I think Luke killed his dad after he caught him messing around with Patricia and he thought his baby sister Barbara Jean could be next. Thus the reason he’s always been so protective of her.
      I’ve seen some say that they think Bobbie could be Patricia and Tim (Luke’s fathers) child. DW and JZ are only 3 years apart in age but hey it’s a soap so who pays attention to that right? Therefore I could totally see that happening. Although I don’t really want Luke and Bobbie to be uncle/niece because I love their brother/sister relationship (it’s always been one of the highlights of the show for me) but since they grew up together, it wouldn’t really change much.
      Anyway as long as on April 1st our long national nightmare is over I don’t care if Luke turns out to be possessed by ET. Thus explaining Dee Wallace’s appearance in this story.

• Amie says:

If Bobbie is the child of Patricia and Tim, she is both Luke’s sister and his niece. (Cue the exchange from Chinatown — Patricia: “She’s my daughter.” Tracy slaps her. Tracy: “I said I want the truth!” Patricia: “She’s my sister.” Slap. Patricia: “She’s my daughter.” Slap. Patricia: “My sister, my daughter.” Slap. Slap. Patricia: “She’s my sister AND my daughter!”

• Juli Schwartz says:

I hadn’t thought about that. Totally plausible.

• Chris Z says:

oh I think Luke, Bobby & Pat were severely abused and Pat may have gotten the worst of it being the oldest and when you go thru that growing up a lot is blocked out and denial sets in. It will cause personality disorders. It does explain a lot about him and when he finally does catch up with his sister I believe he’s going to lose it big time BUT I also think they are going to bring him to a good step towards recovery :) sorry guys, I’ve been watching this since the first day it came on and I came home from 1st grade and Mom was glued to the TV

• Stephanie Nicole says:

Love your ET/Dee Wallace comment.

• GH Lover says:

Hey BrightLight, You mean heard someone say

• sts says:

Was hoping Luke’s long lost sister would have been Helena Cassedine. Would explain her obsession with him.

4. carlee731 says:

I think the recreation of April 1, 1963 using current cast is a great idea. I can’t wait to see that piece. However:

This Fluke story is beyond stale at this point. Its expiration date was 6 months ago.This is the bi-annual Tony Geary Emmy Award storyline created especially for him. Unfortunately I think his performance during this story has been OTT even for him. Not liking any aspect of it at all except seeing Jackie Zeman more.

5. N says:

Thanks, Matt! I love the long long story of (F)Luke!

6. Abe Froman says:

Sure, can’t wait to see what Retcon Ron comes up with.

7. Amie says:

Dee Wallace is a great get. I love the idea of recreating scenes from ’63, too.

8. Et al says:

He learned his father is evil and he kissed his sister.

9. JT says:

Thank goodness, I’ve never been so sick of a storyline in all my yrs of watching this soap. I’m at the point now that if they killed off Luke I’d be thrilled. Problem is they’d just bring him back from the dead. The alternate personality has been done to death. Was not that long ago with Connie/Kate.

• Teri says:

Agree JT Also remember the OLTL storyline VIKI/NIKKI.

• leanne says:

I agree!!! I said to myself today that I wished they’d kill him and chop off his head so he cant come back. I use to love Luke but this story line has went too far and turned him into a sorry P.O.S! The normal Luke would never harm his family no matter what
      Mental state he was in.

• cheryl tebordo says:

I have been watching for over 3 decades. I grew up on the show and with Luke. I honestly don’t care what happens. That’s because the story has gone on for way way too long. I really am getting so sick of the light of the stories. It’s like a song being overplayed. Tighten it up writers and stop playing the stories out so long PLEASE. Btw you are doing it with Jake/Jason too. If it’s really him, let’s get on with it already!

10. Great article & promo! Nice to see GH finally getting exposure in Primetime; especially with this anniversary ep. Thanks Matt!

11. trisha says:

He was raped as a child

12. Ro says:

Holy cr@p!!! I had no clue he was still/back on GH. I watched during the 80s Luke & Laura wedding (when he had that awful poodle perm), but haven’t seen it in decades.

13. Prppy Westbrook says:

I’m always a sucker for a OLTL reference. Still miss my show.

14. Joey says:

Cool. Now they can work on ending this silly Jason plot. Honestly, I think they’re trying their hardest to not commit to Jake being Jason. They had him remember some things, but they could probably Soap Opera that with more mind control garbage, secret Government Organization Cassadine cloning, or something else. I bet they’re really holding out hope that Steve Burton decides to leave The Young and the Restless and comes back to GH. If they do finally commit to Billy Miller as being Jason, then that’s fine too. But damn just put this silly story to an end.

• This story is awful, one visit from Robin and it could be cleared up. I like the core families: Spencers, Webbers, Quartermaines. Hate Sonny and everybody relate to him

• aeromel78 says:

Not to nitpick, but Jason IS a Quartermaine. I read that when he starts to remember who he is, he’ll likely be more like the original Jason, aka not Sonny’s good. I would actually enjoy seeing him building a relationship with his family again. . .or what’s left of it anyway.

• Chloe says:

They can forget Steve B. coming back. His two besties, Jill Farren Phelps and Charles Pratt, are running Y&R. He’ll stay there until they’re ousted.

• McKayla says:

I hope steve burton decides to come back to gh

15. carolyn says:

Can’t wait. Love GH. I have been watching for 52 years.

• J.k says:

I wonder with so many dragged out storyline’s and people getting so fed up , sick of Luke. Really sick of Liz.
      Do the writers really care ?
      They should :
      I can say I always like the show, and
      My mother watched it when we were growing up, this is the first time I ever felt I could go with out watching it for months and months , I really hope things change

16. you are wrong says:

Jason Thompson (Patrick) as Dr. Steve Hardy????

Jason plays Dr Patrick Drake. And the other actors listed are wrong too

• git 'er done (and move to next SL) says:

As it says in the article, “to mark the anniversary, select scenes from the sudser’s April 1, 1963 debut will be recreated, with current cast playing characters of yesteryear — including Jason Thompson (Patrick) as Dr. Steve Hardy, Rebecca Herbst (Elizabeth) as Nurse Jessie Brewer and Ryan Carnes (Lucas) as Dr. Phil Brewer.”

• BrightLight says:

It’s just for one day since it’s the soap’s 52nd anniversary. They are supposedly going to have the actors mentioned re-enact some of the scenes from the 1st episode. I rarely read soap spoilers so I could have read it wrong.I have no idea how they are going to intertwine it with the Luke reveal though. They can’t make him imagine it (can they?) since Luke was obviously not around then. Of course they once had Luke have that Scrooge dream at Christmas so who knows anymore.
      That’s one of the reasons I was shocked they were doing the reveal that day since they had already mentioned a week or so back they were doing this re-enactment. Of course GH was originally a 30 minute soap so even if they did every line from that 1st ep they would have about 15 minutes to fill.

• dman6015 says:

Comprehend much?

• GH Lover says:

you are wrong, you need to re-read the intro and actually understand it. DUH

17. Diane says:

Luke killed his father

18. Juli Schwartz says:

I think he was molested by his father. You look at him raping Laura and now this. Makes sense…

• crumbsandwich says:

That would make sense. Maybe their father made him hurt his sister Patricia- that would explain her being in a wheelchair.

19. Joellen says:

Please end this Jack/Jason . Can’t wait to have Luke back I love him on GH been watching this soap for 37 year and love it

20. Lisa says:

The Luke story AND the Jason story lines need to end! Enough already! I’ve been a fan forever but come on…it’s hard to watch these days!

21. Laurie says:

April 1st. Maybe LUKE will be in the shower and it will all be a dream!

22. mfarris70 says:

I’m loving the Fluke story and seeing Anthony Geary flex some long dormant acting muscles. My own theory is that Luke (thinks) he killed his father but he’s actually alive and with Pat (hence the “double shocker” that was mentioned before. I don’t think the story will center on Bobbie since she’s only on the show occasionally. Note to the haters: you’re watching and you’re commenting, a win/win for the show.

23. Margi says:

I believe he killed his father

24. Rick Kitchen says:

Another Tony Geary Emmy plea.

25. frank bonini says:

I’m guessing it was that LUKE/BOBBIE/PATRICIA was abused by a family member/friend/neighbor in the basement of their home on Elm St…Or that during a REALLY/VERY drunken stupor,their dad did something REALLY-/VERY-sickening to 1 or ALL 3 of them…

26. Dee says:

I think he hit his sister Pat, with a baseball bat and paralyzed her

27. Dee says:

I think he hit his sister Pat, with a baseball bat. That paralyzed her

28. Dee says:

i love Anthony Geary!

29. Loretta Gray says:

Well the original actors are dead so using the actors that are on the show now is a good thing.

30. bonita myers says:

Luke killed his dad because his dad beat or raped Patricia.

31. Dee says:

I think when Luke was younger, he hit his sister with a bat and put her in a wheel chair and it dev

32. Dee says:

Father made him rape his sister

33. me says:

I beg he hit his sister w a bat and caused her to be paralyzed.

34. Lisa Hogan says:

what I’d like to know is when is Genie Francis gonna to come back? He helped her when she was going through a mental breakdown and she should help him. Plus I love Luke and Laura!

35. Irasema says:

I was a long time fan of OLTL and this Luke story line is sounding a lot like dsd (multiple personality disorder) . They did it with the Connie character and why not try it on Luke . Just saying

• Jess says:

They said weeks ago he’s suffering from dsd/multiple personality disorder. This episode on April 1st is supposed to tell us why or what happened in his childhood to cause it.

36. Shirley says:

I’ve watched GH for nearly 40 yrs, the stories have stayed current with the times and Luke’s character seems off balance with the natural order of drama flow! Yes, I will be glad when this is resolved,miss the wacky chuckly carefree Luke! All in all, kudos to the writers!

37. I am currently rewatching the Luke and Laura story and today Luke acted just like he did when he raped Laura and wanted power in Frank Smith’s mob! Back then we all thought it was his love and obsession for Laura that drove him. He wanted to give her everything! A guy from Elm St could only do that a few ways and for him it was the mob. BUT what if it was not Laura that drove him but the same dark side we are seeing today!? His tone and his mannerisms today are the same he displayed then……….is that on purpose or not!?

• Teri says:

I think you could be right. I read also somewhere that it has something to do with Larry Ashton ‘ s past and some criminal activity mob related. Need to search again.
      Thanks Sheila

38. sts says:

39. mistie says:

I think Luke and Bill were actually brothers. I think they were separated by their abusive father.

40. I had earlier thought that Fluke was actually Luke’s long-lost twin, which no one knew about, and had abducted Luke and held him prisoner. But, now that Fluke has been revealed to be Luke, perhaps Luke really did have a twin. I am thinking that if this is true, as a boy or young teenager, he might have unintentionally committed fratricide by the way of a baseball bat. Ever since then, he has deeply suppressed those memories and moving to Florida with his sister Barbara Jean helped him to start over. Perhaps the elder sibling Patricia Spencer was a material witness and has since lived in anonymity, helping to cover up the tragedy and trauma. Maybe she witnessed such incredible violence in a young Luke that she had to go in to hiding for fear of her own life. Since Barbara Jean was too young to know most of their tragic upbringing, all she can remember is the abuse from their parents, especially from their father. And if the long-lost twin theory does not come to fruition, then maybe Luke committed patricide, the murder of one’s own father. Whatever the reason for his psychotic break, I can safely assume it will be dramatic and shocking; all of this build-up until now must mean something. As for Patricia, I had theorized that it was Helena Cassadine, a possible reason for “Fluke” (the once-thought twin) allying with her. If that had been the case, it would have made for an awesome storyline wherein the major General Hospital villains had merged their agendas under a bigger picture endgame. But, this has proven to not be so. Darn it! ;)

41. Bobby says:

General Hospital is better than it has ever been. Witty, gritty, humorous and just f’in’ entertaining. Tony Geary is still one of the best actors to ever grace a screen. My ONLY beef is the time on story lines. Get them told and move on.

42. luna says:

he killed his uncle??

43. Lida Rogers says:

Patricia is really the mother of Luke, but also the boys were twins so she gave one each to her mother and her aunt…Or Luke killed their father instead of him running off or whatever it was.

44. denise e. kershner says:

This whole storyline is just plain stupid , i’ve been watching General Hospital since 1980 & in all that time i don’t recall an alleged sister named Pat ( not saying there isn’t/wasn’t one ) but personally i find it ludicrous to write a storyline that claims something from 40-50 years ago is only now splintering someone’s personality .

45. Maxsmom says:

I am both tired of the story and still curious to see how it all comes together in the end, Jackie Zeman is the reason I started watching this show and I am glad her exile has ended. I am still hoping that Genie Francis’ Laura will figure in this story at some point.

46. josh says:

He killed his father or his mother

47. denise e. kershner says:

Refering to my comment posted a moment ago : “or however many decades ” the alleged incident/s happened .

48. This story line has given viewers to little to long. They have brought the dead back to life with more interest and reality than Luke’s return. Nasty and boring and not believable

49. donholley77 says:

Carlivati & Co. Are NOT “crapping” all over GH & it’s history! Having watched Luke & Anthony Geary since Day 1! I care about this story & I’m loving it!!