X-Files Revival Officially Ordered at Fox, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson Back for 6 New Episodes

X-Files Revival

The truth is out there right here: The X-Files is indeed returning to Fox, with original stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reprising their respective roles as Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

Fox has officially ordered a six-episode continuation of its phenomenally successful supernatural drama, to shoot this summer and (presumably) air at some point next season. (An official airdate remains TBD.)

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” said X-Files creator Chris Carter, who will oversee the new episodes. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The X-Files ended its nine-season run on Fox in May 2002, but the franchise was resurrected on the big screen in 2008’s The X-Files: I Want to Believe, a follow-up to 1998’s The X-Files: Fight the Future. When last we saw Mulder and Scully in Believe, they were grudgingly helping the FBI find some missing women/bust up a bizarre, Frankenstein-like operation in Virginia. Also important to know: The bureau had pardoned Mulder for going on the lam (at the end of the series’ run), Scully had returned to her medical career, and the partners were still romantically entangled and living together.

Duchovny will next be seen in NBC’s Charles Manson-themed drama Aquarius, while Anderson has Season 3 of Hannibal on deck. Coincidentally, the two shows will air back-to-back on Thursdays this summer. News of the X-humation comes roughly a year after Fox jump-started another one of its marquee franchises, 24, with a limited-series order. Although Live Another Day didn’t make much noise in the ratings, it was well-received by critics and fans alike.

PHOTOS The X-Files: 16 Things We Need to See in Fox’s Revival

“We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files — one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers — and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again,” said Fox chairmen Gary Newman and Dana Walden in a statement. “The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture — yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans, and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

What say you, X-Philes? Excited? Scared? Skeptical? Hit the comments!

1. Melora says:

This is only coming back because of the Twin Peaks Revival. I loved Seasons 1-5 of the show but seasons 6-9 were complete garbage. If they go back to the quality of the early seasons, forget the stupid baby, and get back to what the show was about instead of the romance…it has a chance.

• SUSO says:

Season 6-9 were complete garbage except that every season except the ninth had at least six-seven legitimately great episodes that remain some of the best genre work in television history.

• T says:

• Mark says:

execpt Fringe come on there has been exceptions

• ericcartman23 says:

Fringe is garbage.

• Lucifer says:

Though I enjoy both and own all the season box sets, Fringe was much more grounded and clearly had a series-long plan that benefitted them greatly. The X-Files, while very enjoyable, was sporadic with its storytelling and dropped the ball in the latter seasons. I am looking forward to this upcoming revival, though.

• csidangel says:

Couldn’t agreed more with you 😄

• pl says:

Only if the six new X Files episodes have an updated extraterrestrial alien point of view arc, will the series find success. The show’s original success revolved around aliens, and the “real life” claims made by real life “ufologists”, etc.,! Was Obama really trying to get “the truth” out there on Kimmel?
            But an X Files which would be just six different, monster of the week episodes, would be of no interest.

• Andres Mutul-The says:

1500+ videos…..

• bsdarty says:

T, you could not be anymore RIGHT!!!!

• mewp12 says:

No kidding.

• Kevin says:

Well said ! X-Files was one of the best long-running series ever created.

• Tiffany Munroe says:

Next to Star Trek Next Generation.

• In fact, at their best, the X files were the all time best ever TV series. With its many flaws, nothing compared with them. A revival was long overdue. Imagination was, and remains numero uno, and a lot more care with special effects. Somehow, I’ve ended up with two sets of the complete 9-seasons sets. To this day, I look forward to any showing of the X-files. I hope there is the tenacity and devotion to keep this thing up. Good luck.

• Connie says:

You are so right! I am so excited! They will receive a massive “encore” as well when the 6 episodes are up – step aside “Breaking Bad”…. X-Files is back!!!

• uklam says:

I have great expectations! I can’t wait until it comes out. I loved the entire series from start to finish.

• Neville Ross says:

I agree with you, but only if said garbage your talking about is reality TV-regular TV is still great.

• Bluejay says:

I agree. I’m pretty particular about what i watch & i can count on 1 hand the shows i regularly watch & that isn’t on network tv, it’s directv channels. Altho i will tune in to latenight tv now & then, will miss Letterman. Xfiles coming back sounds great!

• RS says:

That’s right !!!!! X -FILES is way better!!!!! Than the stuff that comes and goes now a days!!!!

• rockerrick says:

Right ON! Season 9 had great episodes (remember the human bat?)!

• Cheyenne says:

I liked the show until Duchovny went off. I never could get used to Robert Patrick.

• Micxhael Hewitt says:

Totally agree!

• BASF says:

I don’t know i kinda liked him, he had a nice character, later on I almost liked him better, although I found Mulders’ absence a bit weird and unexplained. However, they did great with transitioning between the two, I think.

• ben says:

Speak for yourself I loved every season. And to the person above this isn’t just coming back because of twin peaks revival. It’s coming back because xfiliacs like me and die hard fans have wanted it back in some form for years. The second movie was crap and only fueled fans desire for closure on the series although we thought it would be in one last movie form a mini series will do fine as long as they don’t mess it up

• Joseph says:

• Joseph says:

I totally agree Ben, I know that anybody who loved this amazing show knew that we been wanting something like this for a while! And even if that’s not the case then at least send it off better than I Want To Believe! And yeah, I would love to see this back on tv again especially if they just make it like season 1 but modern day and they don’t push too far or shoot too low, I think if they just stick with their original formula we’ll all be really happy, thanks X-Files!!!

• margy (@iwantmyduchovny) says:

There were three movies, which one didn’t you like?

• DYS says:

“This is only coming back because of the Twin Peaks Revival”

Which one can argue came back because of the 24 revival, which one can argue came back because of something else.

Does it matter what helped influence a return?

• max says:

Lets just all be grateful that the awesomeness that is called the X FILES is back :D

• Lauren says:

Seasons 6-7 were good. 8-9 were unnecessary.

• NancyBotwin says:

• Barcklay says:

AGREED. I’d like to see who’s on the writing team.

• AJ says:

Really everything after “One Son” in season 6 was unnecessary, but even then the quality was mostly very high, and still well worth watching.
        Season 8 was very different, but still good.
        Season 9 was bad by X-Files standards, which means it was at about the quality level of most other shows.

• Seasons 6 and 7 were not garbage. And next time when you voice an opinion, put ‘I think’ or ‘in my opinion’ in front of it; yours is not the last word on the subject.

• uffasan says:

That is implied when someone speaks, unless references are given.

• John says:

So why didn’t you put “I think” before or after your comment “Seasons 6 and 7 were not garbage”?

• Z says:

“And next time when you voice an opinion, put ‘I think’ or ‘in my opinion’ in front of it; yours is not the last word on the subject.”

“In my opinion, next time when you voice an opinion, you should put ‘I think’ or ‘in my opinion’ in front of it; yours is not the last word on the subject.”

Pompous hypocrit

• Cartman10 says:

Wrong. The X-Files was about to come back LONG before Twin Peaks, they’ve been working on it for much longer and double WRONG with your stupid comment considering that Season 6 is pure brilliancy, season 7 is great, and season 8 and 9 happen to be very good too. Season 7 has The Goldberg Variation, one of the best episodes of the entire series, plus great unique episodes such as Hungry and Closure not to mention the legendary Requiem. Season 9 has a good episode like Scary Monsters plus the brilliant and memorable Sunshine Days and most importantly one of the best episodes in TV history, Improbable. You wrote one of the most stupid comments in the history of the internet, congrats.

• LoneGunman says:

go cartman …

• skidder says:

The X-Files is one of the best shows EVER. My dad, now deceased for 12 years, and I would watch it and phone each other during commercials and even talk about past episodes whenever we had a thought. The episode with the deformed, inbred newborn buried in a field, the sons of a woman kept on a auto creeper, hidden under the bed, and then the weirdos leaving in their very old automobile with the woman in the trunk had a specific musical theme that we were both interested in, very old lyrics. I had researched online years ago. VERY INTRIGUING episode. Duchovany and Anderson had such great acting personalities; no one else could have pulled it off. GREAT SHOW.

• Angela says:

I know this episode…it was called “Home.” One of my favorites…dating myself but I have my favorites recorded on VHS.

• Angela says:

I don’t know the name of the song…something about Wonderful…wonderful..wonderful. They even killed Andy the cop to it right? I think I remember some Andy Griffith joke weaved in…

• S. says:

That episode was one of the most disturbing ever on tv. This series is so brilliant and the tone was somehow consistent even as it swung between drama and comedy, serialized eps and MOTW. The only bummer is that people like Vince Gilligan and Rob Bowman are busy doing other shows. Can’t wait to see what happens.

• lizzy says:

Me too!!!

• GSL1 says:

Good story about you and your father. Those are great memories. The great shows of television history are ones like X-Files with the depth and appeal across generations.

• GSL1 says:

Good story about you and your father. Those are great memories. The great shows of television history are ones like X-Files with depth and appeal across generations.

• Mrs. Peacock! I remember my dad pretending to be Mulder when he got his first cell phone! :-)

• I’d say Lynch let us know through Laura Palmer when she said “I will see you again in 25 years:, that this was a thought plenty before the X-Files thought about coming back.

Heck that quote happened before the X Files even aired their first show. Never underestimate Lynch’s sincerity, and sense of foreshadowing.

• Jenn says:

AGREE 100%

• i thought you were talkingabout an horrific baby like in dead alive at first, i would
      be pleased if they put one in the new episodes

• Steve M says:

Sadly, Twin Peaks is not returning :(

• hud says:

Take a look at Forbes current issue. All about the $$$$$.

• Michelle says:

Yes but read the comments underneath. X files was not a dead product on Netflix, it’s one of the most popular streaming programs there. Also, there had been talks about this amongst all parties involved including David and Gillian before the 24 come
        Back was initiated. So even though it may be “all about the money” to FOX, it’s not about that for CC and company. There is a sincere creative desire here which is what gives me hopped!

• Dr Rocker says:

I doubt that you even watched! Your sophomoric critique reads like you copied your big sister’s homework. There were many quality shows during all seasons. Frankly, season 1 contained several of the worst episodes. I think perhaps you should stay with Nashville.

• rockerrick says:

Did you actually see any of the episodes in any season? You sound off like all the other critics who never watched the show. The X Files had great episodes during all seasons and a few mediocre ones as well (particularly during season 1). Given your critique, perhaps you should stick with Nashville – it seems to be right up your alley.

2. Riana says:

Are they going to address the fact that they were wrong?

3. Morganic says:

4. alistaircrane says:

Perfect news!!! Very excited for the return of The X-Files! I love that we now live in a world where cancellation isn’t always permanent (Veronica Mars, Arrested Development, 24, etc.). :-D

• Sarah T says:

Well, we really need a limited run of Veronica Mars episodes that would continue after the movie… ;) But the X-Files does make me happy!

5. Katherine215 says:

6. Lysh says:

I’m SO EXCITED, but also hoping it’s well-written and better than the last movie. Maybe Vince Gilligan can do an episode. It’d be great if they filmed in Vancouver, too.

7. Dee says:

Awesome news!!!

8. Diana says:

Great! Now lets get a complete series release on Blu Ray too!

9. Wendy K says:

Very excited to have them back….. Hoping for the best :)

10. Couldn’t be more excited!

11. Schatzi49 says:

YES, there is a TV God.

12. Azure says:

so will the season 10 comics still be considered cannon? or relegated to alternate reality?

13. Lynne says:

YAY!!!!! I hope 6 episodes is enough for good stories!

• herman1959 says:

I think 6 episodes is a good number because they could have separate stories of the week bound up with a continuing story that pays off in 6 weeks – PERFECT!

14. Linda Marks Rogers says:

I cannot wait!!

15. I am so excited right now!!!!

16. susan west says:

I can not wait I love this show and have miss it..

17. dragons3 says:

Wonder if Mitch Pileggi will be back as Skinner. Also CSM. This is going to be either very very good or very very bad. It couldn’t possibly be worse than the second movie, though. Or could it?

18. Regina J. says:

Wonderful, wonderful news! Mulder and Scully … true chemistry. And the creative team behind the X-files have always given their all, even when they sometimes fell short (William!). But, it will be wonderful having the X-files back on tv…where it belongs! (Cue: X-file theme song and nerdy happy dance to accompany it!)

19. Marilyn Hay says:

I stopped being a fan of this show long before it finished airing in the first place and have no interest in seeing more of it. What I would like to see is a continuation, perhaps in mini series form like this of six eps a year, of FOXTV’s Almost Human. It was one of their top ten shows, has a strong following internationally and was terminated largely because FOX and Warner Bros couldn’t agree on budgets. Almost Human was ranking 29 out of the 50 top shows, tied with Castle and ahead of Elementary, far ahead of The Following, all of which have had multiple seasons. FOXTV lost 12 million viewers last year and at least half were people fed up with them for their cancellation of Almost Human. If they think bringing back this tired old show, however popular it was a very long time ago, will improve their ratings, they’re wrong.

20. kmw says:

The X-files did not go out very well , with their last two seasons being awful and the movie atrocious. I hope Chris Carter is able to give fans a good story. I wonder where FOX will put it on schedule.

• Brandon says:

8 and 9 weren’t completely terrible, IMO. There was Improbable, Lord of the Flies, and Redrum. Still, they were pretty bad, with a lot of the episodes just being “okay”.

21. Tammy says:

Wonderful to hear…. Love X-Files – Can’t wait to see them in action again. Yeah Fox!

22. natalia h says:

I AM BEYOND MYSELF. I don’t care what or how or when, it’s happening and I’m so, so happy. I started watching the series again (for the 11th time) last night and I’m just so happy. This was my first fandom, back in the 90s mygod. I say YAY.

23. lessthanrighteousindignation says:

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. And do not care why it is coming back – just care that it is. Hope Mitch Pileggi joins them.

24. Becky says:

I’m looking forward to this. I wasn’t happy with the last year or two or the movies. But, I don’t care. They earned a must watch designation with me from their outstanding first several years. I’ll be there.

25. FC says:

Sooooooo excited!!!!!!!

26. Drew says:

On the one hand, when the X-Files was good, it was really good. On the other hand, it went really, really bad after a while, mostly with the arc stories. The last movie was incredibly bad. Chris Carter inserted strange political jabs into it, showing that he wasn’t taking the story seriously.
    I want to believe that it will be good (see what I did there?) But I have some serious doubts. The Mulder/Scully relationship was a horrible move that will now be nearly impossible to undo.
    I don’t know.

27. baros62 says:

Only six episodes? Oh well, better than none!

28. Susan says:

Yahoo! Can’t wait!

29. M.F. Lueder says:

As a long time crazy ridiculous fanboy this is amazing news. I know some will be disappointed that it is only “6” episodes. But considering the show has been off the air for an entire generation I think fans should be estatic that it is back and not focus on the negative.

30. LISA says:

31. Jacob Suarez says:

Maybe Fox will bring back Firefly too

32. Tyler Steele says:

So excited!!! But, Scully & Mulder need to be boss figures, for a group of younger agents. Get rid of the whole FBI connection, that just muddied the waters terribly. Make them an independent watchdog group that investigates the phenomena. Tie up the whole alien controversy thing and move on to a different major story arc… that needs to be OVER. Scully’s kid, now 13 could be involved in a smaller arc, but don’t dwell on him… unless it turns out he’s Jesus… and even then, eh. And for the love of God PLEASE plan ahead and tie up any new stories that are told. Being independent they would have much more freedom to truly investigate the “unsolved” and would be taken seriously by their fellow colleagues obviously. And they could take advantage of confiscated alien technology and have cool gadgets.

33. Linda says:

I’m on board for this and I would imagine they’ll go places they never dared go in the original series, even though it was ground breaking.. how about disclosure at the highest level? But please NO ZOMBIES!! That would be so lame and just compromising the show’s integrity for the sake of capturing the younger viewers.

34. Lauren says:

So excited for this!!!

35. Carl says:

I bet the smoking man is still alive……

36. Carl says:

I hope the smoking mans in this one.

37. kmw says:

I don’t think you have to worry about focusing on Mulder and Scully’s relationship. Even if he wanted to (which he most certainly doesn’t) there is not enough time in 6 episodes to really focus on that. I also don’t believe for a minute that William will be addressed at all. Even though its only 6 episodes it will be interesting to see what they will do

38. Jay Welsh says:

Yes. Original concept would be brill. Just mulder and scully on intimate assignments of the paranormal. Great!!!

Yes. No more Doggits or whoever, whatever came after season 6.

Loved all 6 seasons but think season 1,2 etc are best.

39. Tahina says:

I’m dreaming, please don’t wake me up! AHHH!

40. 88Aladdin says:

I am completely over the moon about this news! So what if the last 2 seasons weren’t all that great. I think these 6 episodes could potentially be brilliant.

41. Cat Grant says:

Wow, what a shocker! (Uh, not really.) I get the feeling the only reason this is happening is because Duchovny’s divorce wiped him out, and Anderson’s movie career never got off the ground.

Hopefully this will new “series” will retcon everything after Season 5.

• Emmy Johnson says:

Gillian has done very well in the UK, both in theatre and TV. And she has been busy raising two children. She was brilliant in The Fall, and I am just as happy that she is doing a third series of it, as I am about The X Files.

• sundaynightaddict says:

So cynical! Duchovny just finished up seven seasons of Californication and Gillian Anderson’s TV career is going like gangbusters right now. Between Hannibal, The Fall and Crisis, I don’t think she’s hurting for work. Frankly, I’m surprised they were able to make it work with her schedule.

• herman1959 says:

Ditto to you and Emmy Johnson. Both actors have always said they’d be willing to make more episodes if things could be worked out, and it looks like they meant it.

42. jess says:

Scared, and skeptical. Being a huge fan of the show I was excited to hear of the second movie. Sadly to say, it had; in my eyes, been a bust. We’ll see how these six new episodes go. I’m still a fan of the original series and movie so I’ll definitely be watching.

43. Jennifer says:

I’m so excited!

44. gareeper says:

Yes, it is about time. Can’t wait HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.

45. Sculder says:

Amazing news! I love X-files so much! Seasons 5-7 are my fave! Jeeeez, I can’t wait.

46. Cindy Bayne says:

Thank you a million times. You have made my week, month, year. Thank you hooray I’m thrilled beyond belief. Finally.

47. Edward rasp says:

I am totally ecstatic. It is about time. Can’t wait.

48. Cindy Bayne says:

Thank you a million times. Hooray. Thank you. Finally. Yes I’m beyond thrilled. Thank you for making my day, week, month, and year. I’m so ready

49. annie says:

I am RIDICULOUSLY excited for this. As long as Chris Carter doesn’t screw it up it’ll be fabulous to see them back..