Scoop: NBC's Monica Potter Comedy Is DOA (For Now, At Least)

Monica Potter NBC Comedy Pilot

NBC and Parenthood star Monica Potter are getting a divorce. Or is it a trial separation?

Either way, the Peacock network has decided not to move forward with its untitled comedy pilot starring Potter and exec-procuced by Ellen DeGeneres, TVLine has learned.

According to multiple sources, NBC and Warner Bros. (the studio behind the project) mutually agreed to put the pause button on the potential series for creative reasons, with an eye towards redeveloping it next season.

The multi-cam project revolved around Potter’s Bridget, whose dating life is complicated by her busy family and her three ex-husbands (played by Eddie Cibrian, Donald Faison and Rory Scovel).

The pilot was penned by I Hate My Teenage Daughter creators Sherry Bilsing-Graham and Ellen Kreamer.

1. Alex says:

The script was so so awful but I even still I would’ve liked to have Monica on my TV every week. So… sort of bummed?

• Bill says:

How do you know the script was so so awful? Did you write it? But agree with you about Potter. Would love to see her back on a TV show weekly that makes the best use of her incredible talents.

• esteban says:

probably one of those nuts who hunts down stolen pilot scripts

• Alex Warheit says:

If by “one of those nuts” you mean I live in LA and work in the industry, then yes, “I’m one of those nuts”.

The script (at least the draft I read) was TERRIBLE. Terrible. Really obvious and clunky and CHEESY and the characters of the three ex-husbands were so one-note it was painful. (The character that Rory Scovel was to play went to Harvard… and so every line of his he mentioned he’d been to Harvard. You see what I mean?)

• Barry says:

I heard that Monica was awful. If the script was so bad, why are they wanting to try it again with a new cast?

• Alex says:

No one said anything about trying this script again with a new cast. They’re taking a break from it for “creative reasons” — likely reworking the script, which as I mentioned, was cheesy and stale. Possibly bringing in new writers entirely.

• Barry says:

What do you think put the pause button on means? It’s not to bring Monica back. It’s to bring the SCRIPT back. Warner Bros. owns the script and would be the ones who would bring it back, without Monica.

• Sara says:

I don’t know, I’d say that putting the pause button on it means that they’d be reworking a whole bunch of stuff, but mainly the script, with or without Ms. Potter.

• Alex says:

No – Monica is a producer on the pilot and the script was COMMISSIONED for Monica and made for Monica. That’s EXACTLY what the pause button means. Monica was onboard before the script. It’s the script that needs retooling. The project was titled “Monica Potter Project” before there was even a script. The pause button means to re-work the show – which is a Monica Potter show.

She wasn’t CAST in it, it was written so she would have a show.

• Alex says:

NBC wanted a Monica Potter show and that’s why this script exists at all. The re-tooling may be to re-work the script (which was not good) but they still want a Monica Potter project.

• Barry says:

How funny, if this was written FOR Monica, then why does she have three exhusbands instead of two? Maybe the script was written before she was attached? You clearly don’t know what you are talking about. Again, Warner Bros. owns the script. NBC doesn’t. The retooling is getting rid of Monica.

• Alex says:

Are you serious? I was being nice before because I thought maybe you were confused because you didn’t have the fact but now it’s clear you’re just a troll. YOU clearly don’t know what YOU’RE talking about.

It’s a fact: the pilot was produced by and written for Monica – the series was “loosely based” on Monica’s life (which is why she has three exes instead of two, as you mentioned). Go to the Deadline article about the series being picked up -direct quote, “loosely based” on her life. Straight from Deadline.

I’m done commenting on this article because arguing with someone who ignores facts is arguing with a crazy person.

• Sara says:

Because you should believe everything you read online. Deadline does get things wrong now and then.

• Alex says:

Sure – but the plot of the pilot IS loosely based on Monica’s life. It’s a fact. Deadline isn’t wrong.

• Bob says:

Sorry Alex, but as someone who knows the person who packaged this show, the narrative from Barry is not far from the truth. Monica is not a bad actress, she just wasn’t right for this.

• Alex says:

Even if that’s true (which we have no way of knowing it is), Barry’s narrative is still COMPLETELY WRONG. He’s arguing that a script was bought, then Monica was cast in it. As I’ve stated repeatedly, it was intended as a Monica vehicle, Monica produced this pilot, the script was written for her based on her life. His narrative makes no sense whatsoever.

• A Fan of TV says:

Isn’t the show supposed to be based on Monica’s own life? I find it hard to believe she would be terrible at passing that off believably, because she’s not a bad actress. Maybe the trouble is she’s never really been the lead before, and is best when she’s part of an ensemble or doing more dramatic work. Her funny moments are always subtle, and sitcoms can be pretty in your face…either way I adored her work on Parenthood and want to see her on TV again somehow, if not this.

• Barry says:

She’s not a sitcom actress. It is just the wrong format for her.

• A fan of TV says:

To be fair, though, most of the networks are brutal at Crafting quality sitcoms, so I don’t doubt for a second the script is bad, too. I see its getting a but finger-pointy and I’m not interested in joining, but NBC comedies are so hit or miss for quality these days. I mean, you don’t sign Eddie Cibrian to a major role if you’ve got something Emmy-wprthy to work with in the first place…

• Leah says:

How were you able to see the script? What was so bad? Cheesy? Thought the cast looked great!

• Alex says:

I posted my thoughts above but basically the script was really really obvious, one-note, and cheesy. Example: the character that Rory Scovel was to play went to Harvard… and so every line of his he mentioned he’d been to Harvard. Or the other characters would call him nerd or whatever. The characters were that thin, no depth at all. And a TON of obvious, expository dialogue. I think they were relying on Monica’s charm to be able to carry the show but not even she could probably surpass a script that bad.

• Sam says:

Scripts get read all the time. Whether one is journalist, somehow connected to the studios or simply a leaked script. That’s how it happens and people give their opinion.

2. Bill says:

I’m sure it didn’t help that Ellen’s current sitcom on NBC isn’t doing well and was generally panned by the critics.

• Zach says:

It may have been panned by critics, but it opened to decent numbers.

• Dude says:

It’s not the best but I actually didn’t find it that terrible compared to other recent multi-cams. There were at least one or two genuine laughs which is more than I can say for most modern sitcoms.

3. schu says:

Hope Monica is back on our TV screens in some capacity soon enough!

4. After Parenthood, I’ve been waiting for the show! Sad to wait for another year.

5. Marilyn says:

Noooo. I love Monica Potter. Hope they get this pulled together.

6. It clearly shows how popular will Google Plus became after the launch of its full version. Better
    not buy someone a beer if they may give you a link one day.
    This is free to use and takes zero computer language to build your own site.

7. nickchoo says:

On the plus side, hopefully this means Donald Faison will stay with The Exes (assuming it gets renewed) :D

8. craig says:

Good! Eddie Cibrian is just awful.

9. CJ says:

I hope they re-work it as a single cam, and cast someone more likeable than Eddie Cibrian.

10. Joey Padron says:

Bummer her show won’t move forward. Hope she’ll be back on TV soon.

11. Et al says:

Wow. If it’s below the standards of today’s NBC it must be really really really bad.

• herman1959 says:

Ba-boop! But seriously, it sounds like someone at NBC had sense enough to pull the plug before things went too far. It will be hard enough to sell Monica Potter in a comedy without this crazy premise – it sounds like Mysteries of Laura on speed. They definitely need more time to get it together; bravo to whoever made the decision..

12. Ram510 says:

That’s fine, I wouldn’t want to see her in a comedy anyways

13. I don’t know enough about what the show was supposed to be about. Considering that NBC is the only network this year that NOBODY has anything good to say about their new shows for this past season, I will give them the benefit of the doubt here that they didn’t think it was going to work. Right now, it looks like that they only have Chicago Med and Coach for new shows next season. I would expect them to come out with a ton of new reality shows, or they will have to renew State of Affairs and The Mysteries of Laura, neither of which I consider to be good.