Justified Recap: Go On... Take the Money and Run

Justified Ava Shoots Boyd Takes Money

You had to sense, as each minute of this week’s Justified ticked by, that something major was going to happen come 10:55 pm. That there would be a betrayal, and or a dead body (or dead bodies), and or a significant reversal of fortune for someone.

Yet out of the multiple scenarios that my brain bandied about throughout the hour, the actual twist that arrived is not one I quite considered.

Coming out of last week’s botched breach of Markham’s vault, Boyd still is looking to steal the millions and vanish (with help from Limehouse, who coaxed a sizeable fee for his efforts). Raylan, though, still needs to catch his adversary in the act, and to that end enlists Duffy to cue Katherine to find out the when/how of Markham moving his moolah — which she does, proving to Markham (as Raylan had just warned) that Katherine is setting him up.

We then get an amusing game of I know that you know I know you know, as Raylan dangles a decoy armored truck in front of Boyd’s men. But Boyd’s too smart to take the bait. And Raylan knows that Boyd is too smart to take the bait. So Boyd sets out to secure the money another, very different way, while Raylan comes to realize that the feds’ deal with Ava has expired, since no matter how this plays out, she didn’t deliver enough intel leading to Boyd’s arrest on RICO charges.

When Raylan informs Ava of her CI contract not being honored, she scrambles to come through, in some other way. Having discovered Dewey Crowe’s shark alligator tooth necklace at Boyd’s bar, she suggests they go after Boyd for murder — but Raylan notes there’s not nearly enough evidence. Ava counters, “What if I got him to confess?” during a meet-up, where she assures Raylan she will use every available wile to get Boyd to cop to the killing.

But first, Boyd has a rendezvous with Markham, to trade Katherine for the millions. The exchange is made, after which Boyd suggests they each ride off into their “respective sunsets.” (As Boyd speeds away, Katherine is left to address accusations that Markham was her mark all along, aka fear for her life.)

Boyd’s next stop is to see Ava. But as they embrace, Ava grabs the gun from his belt, apologizes in advance and then shoots him. When Raylan quickly emerges from the shadows, Ava explains that Boyd was never going to confess, so she instead gave Raylan what he’s always wanted — “Boyd Crowder, bleeding at your feet.” She hops into Boyd’s truck with her fresh fake IDs — and the millions in the back — and sets out to disappear, though Raylan assures her, “I’m gonna come after ya.”

What did you think of the episode “Trust,” and what Ava’s bold moves mean for the final three episodes of the series?

1. James D says:

Well hot damn Justified Bravo. I didn’t see that one coming. I probably should have considering Ava’s history and her propensity for survival and all. Man I’m going to miss this show. So Good.

• Brandi says:

Wow is right! Holy cow that was awesome. I loved when Boyd threw Kathrine under the bus and I figured Mikey was not far from going off the deep end with Duffy. Although I kinda hoped Duffy and Mikey would just ride off into the sunset empty handed as usual and say screw Harlon. Nothing good has come for them since they got there. Now Ava, what a women! But now I really do fear for her life. I always hoped she’d make it out and maybe she still will. What an awesome episode.

• James D says:

I totally agree Duffy and Mikey must survive this, especially Duffy Jere Burns is so brilliant I’d hate to see Duffy bite the dust.

2. Przykład three: Podatnik kupił samolot dnia 1 czerwca 2014 roku i sprzedał go 15 grudnia tego roku.

3. Cobra says:

That was so completely unexpected, and it was brilliant!

4. Ava hooks up with Constable Bob and they live happily ever after. Fin.

5. The Beach says:

Hilarious that Limehouse gave them new identities named Ofay.I truly laughed out loud.
    Jonathan Tucker steals every scene he’s in be it Hannibal, Kingdom or Justified. So good.
    This cast and the writers are just the best. I’m gonna really miss this show.

6. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I did not see that coming……. Ava shooting Boyd after getting Markham’s money?! This was a good ep. but I don’t see Ava getting away though, but smart move by her.

7. That was fun. I don’t know if the episode should have been titled “Trust” or “Hi Boyd!”. But what is Ava’s next move? She can’t use that truck for long and lugging around 10M is a little too conspicuous. My guess is that she is going to the only man who has been 100% on her side this season, the missing uncle Zachariah. (Being a Randolph, she probably knows where he would hide out).

8. BrianR says:

Go Ava go. I want her to be on a beach in a bikini and living large at the end. She’s been through hell.

9. The Carpooler says:

I did not expect that ending at all. Well done. I didn’t hear Ava say Boyd was bleeding at Raylan’s feet. Does that mean Boyd isn’t dead and we’ll see him yet again before series end? Note: I watch on Amazon Prime so I don’t see any previews for coming weeks.

10. I am STUNNED. How is it possible this episode was not the series finale. I just can’t even begin to process this episode. I had to rewind and make sure blood spurted from Boyd’s chest (it did).

Justified is going out in STYLE.

Oh, and that weirdo Boone who is off threatening everyone? He needs to die in a spectacularly gruesome fashion. I hope Loretta kills him with some Apple pie.

11. washcutt says:

The ending should be Raylan and Ava ride off into the sunset-smile. I “LOVE” these two. Never like the wife. This show rank up there as the “BEST” top Five Shows on TV.

12. Spełniałby wtedy funkcję podatkowego dociążenia najbogatszych, którzy w zestawieniu z dochodami najbiedniejszych płacą stosunkowo niskie podatki.

13. The Carpooler says:

The 3/31 episode was fantastic!! And yet…no recap here on TVLine? Where’s the love as we head to the final two episodes??

14. Ray Trull says:

Loved the series! Raylan is this generation’s Clint Eastwood. A not so squeaky clean good guy with cool dripping off his hat.