Damian Lewis-Paul Giamatti Drama Billions Gets Series Order at Showtime

Is money really the root of all evil?

Damian Lewis and Paul Giamatti are about to find out, now that Showtime has ordered 12 episodes of Billions — which the network describes as “a complex and contemporary drama about power politics in the New York world of high finance.”

Lewis, an Emmy winner for Showtime’s Homeland, will play “brilliant, ambitious hedge fund king” Bobby “Axe” Axelrod, who’s on a collision course with the “hard-charging, politically savvy” U.S. Attorney Chuck Rhoades, played by Emmy winner Giamatti (John Adams, 12 Years a Slave).

Maggie Siff (Sons of Anarchy), Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife), Toby Leonard Moore (Marvel’s Daredevil), David Costabile (Suits) and Condola Rashad (Smash) round out the cast. (Siff and Akerman will play Giamatti and Lewis’ respective spouses — psychiatrist and finance-world performance coach Wendy and former nurse Lara.)

Billions, which will shoot in New York later this year and premiere in 2016, is written and executive produced by Brian Koppelman and David Levien (Ocean’s Thirteen, Rounders) and Andrew Ross Sorkin (Too Big To Fail). Neil Burger (Divergent) directed the pilot.

Stoked about adding some Billions to your life? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Great to see Damian Lewis back in another Showtime series after an amazing three year run on Homeland. RIP Brody :-(

2. analog says:

That premise isn’t really that interesting. This was probably ordered to series just based on the cast.

• Patrica says:

Completely agree. Showtime knows this show will get emmys based on this cast. This type of show doesnt sound appealing. I’m more excited about Twin Peaks.

3. Fyrkat says:

Definitely looking forward to this. Both guys can play ‘intense’ and to see them butting heads will be awesome. I can imagine the first stare down now. :-)

4. A fan of TV says:

Was this the show that was the subject of the blind item from years ago about the series lead being killed off? Everyone assumed the item was about Brody, and I don’t remember ever seeing the reveal (but that could be because I wasn’t paying close enough attention, full disclosure!)

• Bwhit says:

Wasn’t it Ron Perlman from sons? I think they revealed that after Clay finally got his.

• A fan of TV says:

Ahh OK! Not to be anti-googling it for myself, but what was the show he was booked for?

• Bwhit says:

One of the Amazon pilots that I watched and haven’t seen anything about since (it actually was pretty good).

• A Fan of TV says:

Ah, Hand of God! (Just Googled for title, thanks) I think I heard about this series, but hearing about it is as far as I got. According to Wikipedia it’s been ordered to series off the pilot you saw, but nothing more about it.

5. Bwhit says:

Damian Lewis AND Maggie Siff, I’m in for sure! There is a large void on Homeland since Brody’s exit so I can’t wait to see Lewis in another role :)

6. Georgia says:

This is wonderufl news! Paul Giamatti is one of the best dramatic actors on the plane — he could read the dictionery and I’d be there!And of course loved Damien Lewis not only as Brody in Homeland, but as the detective in NBC’s drama, Life and U.S. Army Major in the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers. Am sure Billions will be a great series! Looking forward to watching!

7. justsomeguy says:

Sounds pretty boring. Good cast though.. but pass.

8. bella says:

I’m in! Not really my kind of show, but with those actors, it should be outstanding.

9. Bill Cord says:

Good to see Lewis return to TV. He has been a favorite seen “Band of Brothers” and “Life”.

10. knd says:

I’m in!

11. kendoll says:

Looking forward to seeing Condola.

12. Shannon says:

This is smart TV and relevant in today’s society. A dreamy very talented cast with smarts. If Maggie Siff is on board it’s sure to be a success. She’s underestimated in Hollywood!! Damien Lewis nice you’re back and Giamatti never disappoints. It will be a great show and hope it gets a fair time slot. And lots of exposure. I’m in!