Arrow's David Ramsey Previews a Flash-y Wedding, Diggle vs. Ra's and the 'Very Serious' H.I.V.E. Threat

This Wednesday on Arrow (The CW, 8/7c), John Diggle and Lyla Michaels are heading for a wedding… followed by one hell of a honeymoon, when A.R.G.U.S. business requires the newlyweds to accompany the Suicide Squad on a deadly, not-so-romantic op.

TVLine spoke with David Ramsey about the un-Arrow-like nuptials, his “greed” for fight scenes and the ominous threats posed by Ra’s al Ghul and, eventually, the H.I.V.E. organization.

TVLINE | What does a wedding look like on the intense, gray, brooding superhero show known as Arrow?
I know, right? You know something — it looks anything but that, which is a great change for Arrow. It’s not brooding, it’s not dark. It’s actually bright, with color. Can you believe it? It’s a lot of fun, and we have a hint of Flash levity. But as you said, it is Arrow, so we can’t stay there for too long, can we?

TVLINE | So, what happens? The wrong color flowers get delivered, the violinist is late…? What sort of drama is on tap?
Deadshot, Floyd Lawton (played by Michael Rowe), shows up, and with him comes the Suicide Squad. And with that comes A.R.G.U.S. So, yeah, they have something to say about our honeymoon plans.

TVLINE | What does Cupid (Amy Gumenick) bring to the Suicide Squad? Has she acclimated well?Suicidal Tendencies
She acclimated well because she’s worked with A.R.G.U.S. and she knows her duties — and she like every one else has a couple of explosives planted in her spine. So there’s that! But she brings all of her questionable wit and questionable sanity to the table. We learn a little bit more about her. And we learn a lot about Floyd Lawton in this episode. The show has increasingly evolved Floyd Lawton from the sort of cardboard one-dimensional assassin that he first was to a more well-rounded, understanding of who he is and what makes him tick. So you’re going to find out a lot more about him this episode.

TVLINE | Fans seem to really enjoy Deadshot.
They do, they do. He’s a great character. You’ll learn why he does what he does, what made him who he became. And I think part of that is what Diggle has tuned into, what allows him to see the humanity of Floyd Lawton. Diggle in general is that kind of guy, one who sees the silver lining. Even thought I wouldn’t say he’s friends with Floyd Lawton, he certainly has learned to respect him.

TVLINE | In this latest Suicide Squad adventure, were there any action hero “firsts” for David Ramsey?
Well, it’s not a first, but any time they let me do my fights on-screen is always great. Diggle doesn’t get to fight enough — hashtag #LetDiggleFight, let’s do that. [Chuckles] I would love more of that. It’s an action show and Diggle is Special Forces, a four-tour veteran of Afghanistan…. This guy is the real deal. So there are no “firsts,” but there are some awesome fight scenes.

TVLINE | Is that important to you, getting to mix it up every few episodes? To remind us what a badass Diggle can be, instead of just running the comms?
I don’t mind running the comms; I think you’ve seen Diggle’s talent at that. [Laughs] So I don’t know if it’s “important” to me. Like any other show, these characters are fleshed out through time. You see these things and then they kind of fall away, to build other characters up, and then you see them again… It’s kind of a see-saw, and you like that as an actor. Listen, I’m a little greedy for action scenes. I’m a martial artist and any time I get to show off some of that art is great. I don’t know if I need it every other episode, but it’s always fun to do — and there’s always room for more.

TVLINE | Plus, running comms means fewer late nights outside in the rainy Vancouver weather.
Well, that’s always good, right? [Laughs]

TVLINE | By multiple Arrow_Ras_Al_Ghulaccounts, Episode 19, “Broken Arrow,” sounds pretty heavy….
Yes. Listen, from, really, [Episodes] 16, 17 on, to 23 [the season finale], it’s just ramping up. Ra’s al Ghul is no joke. And he’s going to get what he wants from Oliver one way or another. One way or another it’s going to happen. And speaking of Lyla and Diggle, they’re going to be affected in a very serious way by Ra’s al Ghul, because no one is off limits to him getting what he wants. In an upcoming episode, they will be touched in a personal way.

TVLINE | Are we going to get any new H.I.V.E. goodness during the remainder of this season?
That’s a great question — and H.I.V.E. is a part of the Big Baddie next season, so expect H.I.V.E, like Ra’s al Ghul, to affect the whole team. We’re going to get into why they hired Deadshot to kill [Diggle’s brother] Andy, who they are, what they do…. H.I.V.E. thus far has been quiet, kind of set back. [The writers] kind of planted them in a place last season or the season before that, and Diggle hasn’t really talked about them much, but H.I.V.E. is something very, very serious. They’re going to present big-time difficulties for Team Arrow.

1. Carla Krae says:

Thanks to David. Love all the things Diggle does.

2. Azerty says:

I don’t know why I read this interview with Diggle’s voice! When Oliver arrived in Honk Kong last season I was convinced that HIVE would be season 3 big baddie, it’s good that we will know more about Diggle’s brother death, this story is long overdue. Also maybe a comic specialist can help but what are the relation between Waller and HIVE, I tought Waller was running it and they went rogue so she created the suicide squad to fight HIVE? I have been really surprised of the lack of Amanda Waller this year. I am hoping more of her in S4, maybe she could cross over on the Flash too? I would love some Checkmate…

3. ” Ra’s al Ghul is no joke. And he’s going to get what he wants from Oliver one way or another.” and he doesn’t, he’ll get it from Batman.

4. Happy says:

I love Deathshot I hope next season he will appear in more episodes. Besides the actor is very handsome hehe!!

5. Happy says:

So HIVE is for DC Comics what HYDRA is for Marvel Comics.? IT should be interesting to pair enemies from both teams in a movie or in a TV show

6. Mannie says:

They should had added at least one more character to the Suicide Squad. Beuase the original squad was ok with more members unfortunately one died and the other one longer is part of but they at least should had considered adding one more member to make it more believable as a squad

7. Lisa says:

“And speaking of Lyla and Diggle, they’re going to be affected in a very serious way by Ra’s al Ghul, because no one is off limits to him getting what he wants. In an upcoming episode, they will be touched in a personal way.” uh oh – somebody needs to keep an eye on Baby Sara!

8. Sil says:

Love Diggle. I’d love for him to be in more of each episode, not a side kick.

9. Dave says:

i think the next villaain is going to be deggle’s brother.
    there, said it.

• nona says:

Isnt Diggles brother dead? Deadshot killed him

• Dave says:

yeah, but it wouldnt be the first time in tv history that a character that was given death since even before the beginning ofthe show, turns up to be alive. they made us see him in the flashbacks and usually if a character not usually seen is shown inthese occasions it meas that they’re coming back

10. sladewilson says:

#LetDiggleFight Okay, cool interview. As long as the Diggle Clan stay intact, I’m good. Ra’s – do not hurt the baby!!!!

11. Joey Padron says:

Great interview with David. Excited to watch new episode tomorrow night!

12. Briggs says:

Oh, please don’t let them kill of baby Sara! That would be too cruel. But I’m excited to see more Suicide Squad. :)

13. michael says:

Soooo…. Ray Palmer is now ironman?

14. Bob farrington says:

I think the Arrow team has lost their way it’s no longer what the comic was the producers writers have turned it into a sadist soap opera. I enjoyed the first two seasons so much I bought thinking the third would be of the same quality I purchased that on Amazon instant video is it just this show or is it DC not yet in cross over from comic to real people, they did Superman Batman well with different lead characters in the movies the only TV shows were a farce or comedy, I think you better get back to comic book escapism, Marvel learned you can tell a good story without dragging it out for years ruining a good product is it due to lack of ideas, bringing Tina back to life was a real loser, you need a visit by batman Wonder Woman Martian Manhunter to smack some sense into Oliver put this entire league of assigns string to bed before you mess up the one remaining good character Diggle, Flelicitiy has shown she is a user stop messing with what was a good product, Agents of Sheld writers and all figured out time to move on from the alien city they did Daredevil on Netflix in 13 episodes and Agent Carter in 8 so I was a big fan up to recently my wife leaves the room when it comes on now, fix things before it’s too late I grew up with comic books I have Spider-Man #2 and Marvel somehow beat up on DC an Arrow fan until recently hoping the future will go back to being an adventure show my Mom watched her soaps