Pretty Little Liars Boss Previews Big 'A' Reveal: It's the 'Beginning of the End'

Pretty Little Liars Finale

For weeks, ABC Family has been promoting the “Big ‘A’ Reveal” in Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars season finale (8/7c), but make no mistake — even after the episode draws to a close, the series’ central mystery will remain far from solved.

“In a certain way, you will know who ‘A’ is by the end of the episode,” executive producer Marlene King tells TVLine. “I don’t want fans to feel like, ‘Oh, they’re just being dodgy again.’ We’re not. You will get a very big piece of the puzzle. It’s like I’ve said all along: The who is important, but the why and the how are also important. You will be left with a question to answer, but you will also be on the path to 100-percent discovery. It’s a huge reveal, and it’s done in a way that’s just so beautiful.”

King admits that some fans are “starting to guess right,” which was part of her plan all along. “As we get closer to the end,” she explains, “more fans are connecting the dots, which we hope they do.”

Speaking of getting closer to the end, King says this finale will set the liars on a path towards a new chapter — the final chapter — of their journey.

“This finale is the beginning of the end of the story we started to tell so long ago,” King says. “Within the next 11 episodes, there will be absolute completion to this story, but we’re going to save what direction we’re going in until after we tell you how this story ends.”

(Editor’s guess: Midway through Season 6 would be the perfect time for that long-rumored time jump to get the girls through college, wouldn’t you agree?)

We’ll have more finale scoop coming your way Tuesday morning, but for now, drop a comment with your thoughts and theories: Who is “Big ‘A'”?

1. Jooshua says:

I remember when they said that season 5 was the beginning of the end. Now.. just the finale is the beginning of the end? And we have to deal with the same mystery through season 6? Telling us who ‘A’ is.. again.. is hardly interesting. They could make Aria’s split personality be ‘A’ and I’ll most likely yawn.

I think I only watch now.. for the hilarity of Hanna.. and the awesomeness of Caleb.

I was hoping they would end the mystery.. and start a different mystery for seasons 6 and 7. Once again we are mislead by these Pretty Little LIARS!!

• Andy Swift says:

It sounds like the second half of Season 6, going into 7, will be a new mystery. So you’re * sort of* getting your wish.

• Nellie says:

Wait…….so we’re not going to find out who A is? I’m ok with that. I like having them be stalked by some unknown entity. Finding out would ruin it for me. I hope we never find out.

• Jooshua says:

Yeah, that will be nice! I’ve become.. disillusioned by the mystery. I love the characters, and the actors who play them though. So I will stay.. as long as they do!

• Kate says:

I think that if they keep doing this carrying on thing with A they will lose many viewers because they will get bored and tired of the cliff hangers i will stick to the end because im a die hard pll fan but this fanalie better be good im extremly exited but i hope im not left with the many A posibiliteies and hopefully ill know the one person who is behind all of this

• Shelby says:

Joseph D. Said A will be revealed by episode 11 s6

• lola says:

this show is awesome !!!!!

2. Tran says:

PLL continues to “jump the shark”. This series is always like a “soap opera”.

3. A says:

Aria is A…

4. abz says:

Lies! I’ll believe it when I see it. This woman has always been misleading with her interviews.
    How they expect to drag it out till the seventh season I don’t get. Is A gonna follow them to college? It has reached the point where this show can be entertaining sometimes but the overall story is just boring. Much like the Gossip Girl reveal at the end of the series, this reveal has been dragged out WAY too long and most likely will be underwhelming. I probably would’ve quit the show a while ago if I weren’t so stubborn with just wanting to find out who it is.

• LBM's Mom says:

I agree about the comment you made in reference to Gosip Girl. I loved that show, but was underwhelmed when I found out it was Daniel the entire time. I kind of figured it was him, his siter, or Eric for that matter. I’d be pissed if this storyline turns out to be lame after all of these interesting years of PLL.

• Dina says:

Marlene King said that season 7 will be life without A and Big A will be revealed in season 6 ep10 and I think Big A is aria because they were in the hall one ep and Mona yelled Big A and aria answered

5. Azerty says:

After weeks of teasing “the biggest reveal of all” actually maybe you might with the right clues if you are smart,possibly somehow know perhaps who A may be. Or not. That’s what I understand from the interview :)

6. Mary Wheeler says:

this is 1 show i hate to see end, it has been the best whodunit i have ever watched,too bad they cant milk it for some more time

7. Kathleen says:

I don’t really know how there gonna end this season.. but all I really want is for these girls just to get a happy ending! Nobody deserves the crap that they’ve gone through..

8. iHeart says:

so next season’s the final season? well probably about time, since the book series did just end a few months ago

9. Et al says:

‘A’ is Marlene King.

10. Angel says:

So maybe what she means is we will know who A is but not why A is? I hope that is what she means. I need a face. She said we will see A without the mask but I want to know if we will realize we are seeing A.

11. Jen says:

I’ve heard they may do a season through A’s viewpoint…I’m not sure if that’s still on the table but it could be interesting and give us some actual answers and insight into why they’ve been doing all this. That would also only leave one more season of the girls in the present time which is better in my opinion because I can’t see how they drag this out two more full seasons, I’m cautiously optimistic about tomorrow’s finale…

• Nich Leswig says:

They are doing a time jump I believe in the middle of next season to College, so ” something ” will happen that brings them back in for a season and a half … which is why I don’t believe we will be getting the full reveal tonight :/

12. chuckiechk says:

season 6 should be “why A did what h/she did”. Season 7, should be 13 episodes where the girls are now living their lives doing what they wanna do, being with who they wanna be with, and then the final episode should be a high school reunion, and the final shot should be the girls getting reading, “welcome home bitches”, then all four girls looking into the camera as the screen fades to black.

13. Deena says:

I don’t believe one word of hype from this woman. We will know nothing or get another false lead.

14. jada says:

I love this show i don’t want it to end. I can’t tell who A is.

15. kim says:

I think its Toby. His twin was Bethany and his mom was pushed by Mrs. D. Toby’s mom and Mrs D could be sisters. Not sure about that. Bethany was the one that hit Ali. I don’t know who hit Bethany but Melissa buried her alive. Maybe one of the liars but can’t remember (Emily because she thought she hit Ali when she was under hypnosis). Toby is getting his revenge on for Bethany and his mom.

• Michaela says:

I think that bethany had to be Ali’s twin. The reason why I think this is because when they discovered her body she was pronounced Alison. The only way that they could think that it was Alison is if the DNA from the bones matched with Alison’s DNA. The only way that the police would be able to confuse the DNA is if they were identical twins.
      In the Christmas Episode this past season it showed that Alison had found two identical yellow dresses that her mother had bought for her and Bethany. Her mother had told Ali not to tell her dad because he would get mad. I think that they put Bethany in the mental hospital and they were keeping her away from Jason and Ali. They didn’t want Ali to find out about her and when she did is when bethany went missing and so did Ali.

• Lauren says:

Bethany and Ali aren’t the same age though:(

• Slkhearts19 says:

Remember they didnt do a DNA test. MRS D automatically claimed it to be Ali because her clothing was the exact same.. The clothing being the exact same and her being found in the yard of the house she lived in basically makes it an open and shut identified body… Plus they mention tjr bones were so dry they could barely get DNA to prove it wasnt Ali after they found out. Even in real cases if a family member identifies your body and your dead somewhere you lived, they wont do DNA, UNLESS, theyre trying to find the murderers DNA, in that case theyd need your DNA in order to verify whats your DNA and whats not… regardless, the state thats why the body was recognized and buried as Alis with no dna testing.

• Michaela says:

I believe that Andrew could have the potential to be A. But he could also be on A’s team. Because he was obviously the one that broke into Mona’s house and searched her room for more clues that lead to finding out who his acomplice is. When he had heard that the liars were pounding on the door he decided to open the window and play the record that Mona loved. That gave him enough time to get downstars unlock the door and go out the back. Another reason why I think he could be A or on A’s team is because he had a screw driver that he used to break in that had that ice cream factory on the handle. Which is the same factory that A took all of his stuff that was in the storage unit that was rented in Hanna’s name. Boom mistery over!!! :)

• CoCo says:

Not sure about this because if you remember Toby got messages and was stalked by A too.Toby can’t be A, it wouldn’t make sense. It really annoys me not knowing who A is.

16. Pam says:

Im ready for the series to be over! The actors are looking WAY too old to be believable as high school students. I still watch, out of habot I guess, but I’ve seriously been over it for the last couple of seasons

17. Olivia says:

So the spoilers are true then (the last two or three episodes confirmed the direction but it could have been a coincidence).

“In a certain way, you will know who ‘A’ is by the end of the episode” & “You will be left with a question to answer, but you will also be on the path to 100-percent discovery”
    Basically we get to now what’s revealed from the blocks, but not who it is. To me that is not a revelation, it’s just another clue. A revelation is based on something you know already. Unless there’s a catch but from the spoilers I’ve read there is none regarding this specific part. Again, if these spoilers are true, I’m super pumped about another twist :)
    I keep quitting and coming back in the hope that this show gets its s#!t together and that I won’t be watching some teen-pandering shenanigans. I have to admit that my catching up has been quite entertaining lately, with the shipping aspect reduced to minimal and focus on the plot and the girls interactions instead. I will watch but this better be a real springboard for next season and a Nth red herring… or this time I will wait until the show’s over and everything is known for real to decide if it’s worth watching. It shouldn’t be too long anyway.

18. Rachel says:

At this point Keyser Soze might as well be A.

19. Kaylie says:

I think Mona is still alive and she is really big A. Or I am A cause this show is so confusing I genuinely feel like im losing IQ points by watching it and its a serious insult to my intelligence!!

20. Jenna says:

I still think Jenna is A and her twin sister. The clues always pointed to her. And the more obvious it would be, the less people see what is right in front of them cause they think it couldn’t be that obvious. All the eyes of all the pictures of Alison are always cut on in A’s lair. Jenna lied about not being able to see. She only had an operation on 1 eye, and so the other eye was probably never damaged and she could always see out of it. And as far as the twin thing, Jenna met with someone at a picnic table and said she had thought about what she would say if she had ever saw her again. As if she was a lost twin she hadn’t seen in a very long time and used to be close to. Then she gives her a package and says “All the girls are going to be there tonight, you know what to do”. Obviously the package was the Black Swan outfit that her twin showed up in later.

Then Mona was revealed at the end of that episode as on the A team and “crazy”. Mona reveals that A is a “She”. Then she tells A that she did everything she had asked her to. So obviously Mona got caught on purpose and faked being crazy to get into Radley and throw off the other girls thinking that A was Mona.

Jenna also set Jason’s house on Fire and then pretended to be a victim of it and that she had gotten a text to go there, also to throw them off. Why would A of tried to kill Jenna when it’s the girls that A hates and is after. A text they got from A that episode said “Where there’s smoke, there’s payback.” As in… there was smoke and fire and explosion in Jenna’s accident that all the girls were responsible for and never confessed or took responsibility for. Who else would hate all the girls that much, not only Alison and constantly refer to them as “liars”. The liars who lied about what happened that night and blamed it on Toby. It could be Toby also, though it makes more sense for Jenna to have to have the twin sister. Merlene keeps referring to “seeing double” and it was revealed before that the twin is a sister. Boy/Girl twins wouldn’t exactly be double and look exactly alike. The twin is probably identical and has been seen before in Rosewood pretending to be the other twin at times.

• Emily says:

That’s the most thought out answer I’ve read!

• Ali has a twin and that is A. That is the person who hit her in the head. The person her mother covered for. A mother wouldn’t cover up her child’s death for just anyone. Ali’s twin was committed to Radley probably for almost killing Alison when they were young (probably why her arm was broken when she was 2). There was an episode where Ali is a little girl & finds gift boxes of identical dresses hidden. Then they are always referring to twins.

• And Jenna said that she was happy to see Mona again because she was the first friendly face she met in Rosewood.. flashback of when she first came there and went to the party as lady gaga. Ali offered to make her part of the group and Jenna declined then walked over to Mona and they introduced each other and chatted. She was a friendly face she recalled. So Jenna at the picnic table was meeting with Mona when she was A.

• Glenda says:

Except Allison was getting texts from A before the Jenna incident. Wasn’t she?

• Breanne says:

Half of your answer doesn’t make sense. Jenna got an operation on both eyes, but only one at a time. She met with Shawna at the picnic table, and was happy to see her because she loved her. Mona never revealed A as a girl, she revealed red coat as a girl. And why would Mona send herself to Radley to throw off the girls thinking she was A when she already told them that she was A? Also, Jenna would have died in the fire at Jason’s if no one had gotten her out. And the Jenna twin theory just flat out makes no sense.

• Slkhearts19 says:

Only problem is the actress who plays Jenna said she wouldnt be appearing in season 5-7 very much and she wasnt sure shed be in season 6&7 at all. She said she rly wanted to be but the script doesnt have her in it

21. brandon says:

Everyone complains so much about this show. I still love it as much as ever! Can’t wait for the finale.

22. Drusilla Cromwell says:

I like the show and i will keep watching but the books keep going so ill keep watching

23. ChrisGa says:

I’m still watching but it’s become laughable how many “A’s” there’ve been at this point; this show has had more red herrings than a damn fish cannery. In my mind, no matter how often Marlene has gone on about revealing “A” by the end of Season 6, I still think the big reveal won’t happen until the last episode of the series. If it’s one of the main four, it’s got to Aria(she seems prone to fits of instability) and if not, my money’s on a still-alive Mona or Lucas.

24. peachsauce says:

A is Andrew!!
    He came back at such a ‘convienent’ time and has now been super suspicious. He totally tied up Mike. I think he had some love thing with Mona and is now trying to get back at all the girls for it. We’ll see tomorrow!

25. brandydanforth81 says:

In season 3,Mona told Toby SHE’S in charge now”.So who is Charles DiLaurentes?They said they weren’t going with thee twin sl like the books but Markene said the other day”you might see double”.Cant wait til Tommorrow to find out.I hope I can put clues thier ghee well enough or they make clear who is A.

26. Brin says:

I haven’t done any research to back up this theory but for some reason, I just have this feeling like A could be Hanna. Again, I’ve done no research and I’m sure there’s something obvious I’m forgetting that could completely debunk this theory but it’s just a weird feeling. I’m sure in 5 minutes, I’ll have completely changed my mind. ;) Anyone else have that thought or am I just crazy? ;)

27. Katie says:

My money is on Jenna or Toby (although a part of me hopes its Ezra). I think Bethany and Jenna are twins. Marlene tweeted that Marion Cavanaugh’s death is part of the solution of A. I think we would pity someone if their mother and sister were murdered. That seems like a better motive than “Aria has a split personality so she’s A.”

28. Amanda says:

don’t you guys read the spoilers? Mona has a twin. Her twin is mentally insane and her disease keeps getting worse by every episode. She finally gets so insane she puts them in a life size dollhouse.

29. Hope says:

I believe CeCe Drake is “A” for several different reasons I don’t want to list them all but the building blocks are an anagram for “Charles” & Marlene King tells us this is a huge hint to “A” & guess who’s recent passport had the name Charles on it? CeCe Drake, given to her by Allison.

30. Shay says:

Im probably wrong but part of me keeps thinking Meredith. She’s insane. Drugged Aria, locked her in a basement, it all started with her and Byron getting caught. She thinks the girls tried to catch her on fire at the race. She’s nuts. And blonde. People forget about her.

31. Icarus says:

Ok so um I think A is …
    A team of A so its like at least 4 Characters led by big momma A who is large and in charge and calling the shots from day one and all have one thing in common revenge against our pretty liars who are not so little any more and are somehow involved in something they did like a big wrong a big mistake a big no no…
    Hence so much death and chaos so I think these girls actually killed Jenna by accident since even before the beginning of this show hence the Jenna thing and we’re seeing her evil sinister twin sista wiping people off the face of the earth one by one in search of vengeance!!
    She acts like she doesn’t see but she sees all she acts like she only has one good eye but she has both eyes wide open and lies that she can’t see I mean it’s the perfect crime!!!!

32. Travis says:

Toby is Big A. The people are helping him are Andrew, Wren, Caleb, and possibly Mona n Bethany Young. That’s my guess.

33. stuntdevil28 says:

A suspects
    CALEB
    TOBY’S TWIN
    LUCAS
    MAYA
    CANT WAIT FOR THIS EPISODE

34. angel says:

If A is one of the girls I would be shocked bit that would be impossible right?maybe A is arias new soon to be boyfriend.

35. Brie says:

*flips table* I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO A IS GOD DAMNIT

I’m half convinced Marlene doesn’t even know who it is. They’re probably waiting for the last episode to draw a random name out of a hat and be like “meh, that’ll do. We’ve planted enough bogus clues to make this seem half-heartedly believable”. But I, for one, literally have no idea who it is and as far as I’m concerned it’s all pretty (hehe) fair game. I wish I was smart enough to pick up on all these not-even “clues” but I guess I’m just too rationally minded to untangle Marlene’s web of what-the-eff (and if you’re like me and are not even going to try, I consider us the normal ones!). All that said though, I really have hated to love the show and I’m going to be gutted when it finally does end. But I swear if A isn’t finally revealed in the season 5 finale I just–I will do nothing and keep watching it, naturally, but I am going to be horribly frustrated and will probably be extremely passive aggressive for a whole day.

• Issabella says:

I personally think it could be Aria’s mum. We rarely see her and she has complete access to all of the girls homes.
      Idk I’m probably wrong by it’s kind of a I wouldn’t be suprised if it was or wasn’t her moment.

36. Kelly says:

I am 42, a mom of a 12 year old who Has No interest in the show, a husband that thinks I am Nuts for Loving the show..and I am so Confused about Who A is! 😊 But I Do think Mona is still alive and Ali is innocent. That’s all I know for sure. One spoiler said A will “have a heart”, whatever that is supposed to mean… I don’t think we will Ever know the full truth. That’s why it’s a good show..and a soap. To keep us watching. But I love crazy crap like this. Lol.

• Yoli says:

I love knowing that there is another mom out there that loves PLL as much a I do! I’m 33 and love it so much! My 8 year old son says, mom why do you love to watch that scary show?! LOL

37. Linnea says:

im probably gonna rewatch the show i we find out who A is and see what clues there was. :P

38. Tamid says:

GUYS you have to remember something before making any A theories, Marlene said that A was in EVERY episode and in the pilot so I don’t really think it’s any parent or Cece or Jenna or even Mona. and there’s an interview i watched with Tammin Sursok ( Jenna) and she confirmed that THERE IS A TWIN. but it’s not like the books aka Ali. She also revealed that we will find who’s twin it is in season 5 (she did the interview before season 5 began). now marlene said a lot of us guessed who A is but no one guessed why…
    Im so confused…and as a commenter said if they don’t reveal A then Ill keep watching the show but ill be so frustrated and passive aggressive probably for the rest of the week..lol

BTW anyone read about Daisy#1??? if you haven’t, google it, it makes some sense.

39. mark barton says:

pretty little liars really more season and will be more -A too acan what will liars do next seanson

40. Jill says:

I’m like so upset I just really want to find out who A is like honestly I want to find out……… I think A is Mona’s Mom just think about it😑😑

41. Yoli says:

I love not knowing who A is yet, I am obsessed with the show because of all the mystery that’s what makes it awesome to watch. It keeps us on our toes and on the edge of our seats! It is such an Adrenaline rush! I am so not looking forward to the series finale anytime soon. Pretty little liars is by far the best show I’ve ever seen in my 33 years of life. And the books are so incredible too. I may be a bit old to be into the show but I don’t care. Love PLL!

42. Pllxxx says:

ANDREW IS A !!!!!!
    So obvious ahah

43. Abi how says:

I think it’s mike

44. Liz says:

I’ve read a lot of speculations about who’s really A. Also I was told to go back to season 3 and we’ll know who A is. Pll fans we are going to be teased again! Mona is in the doll house and supposedly one of the liars has a twin now excluding Ali and Courtney theory!! I admit this show blows my mind because I love a good mystery but I feel like my pll group and myself are all being teased!!! It’s the big reveal or not? Is this the beginning of the end or no? Can’t wait til 8 pm

45. Lady says:

‘A’ is a guy

46. Trish says:

I am so tired of the cliff hanger statements, the taunts that A will be revealed. this is dragging on way too long already. Just make it end. Its starting to be a disappointment with every ending of each show during the season. If I were those 4, I would have stopped already and moved on with my life rather than perpetuate the lies.

47. lola says:

I don’t want Ariea or spencer to be a

48. aero says:

I think big A is Maya, Emily’s first girlfriend. Even though she is “dead”, i think she is not . Alison faked her death so Maya can too. She was also in the first episode and i believe big A is a female .

49. Jizelle gonzalez says: