Hulu, Parenthood's Jason Katims Team for Faith-Themed Family Drama

Hulu Logo

Hulu is getting into the Jason Katims business — and vice versa — by ordering straight to series The Way, a 10-episode drama about a family at the center of a controversial faith-based movement, and its struggles with relationships, marriage and power.

The series marks the Parenthood/Friday Night Lights showrunner’s first non-network project. Parenthood scribe/producer Jessica Goldberg will write and exec-produce The Way, along with Katims and Michelle Lee.

“Jason Katims is responsible for the most groundbreaking shows about family seen through unique lenses,” Hulu SVP Craig Erwich said in a statement. “He and Jessica Goldberg have delivered a provocative take on a controversial, dangerous and thrilling world.”

“Craig Erwich and his team at Hulu have been so passionate from our first meeting,” Katims said. “It’s been a creatively rewarding, truly collaborative process from Day 1 with them.”

Production on The Way will commence this summer.

1. Tran says:

CLEAR EYES FULL HEARTS HULU CAN’T LOSE

2. Julia says:

I will watch anything by Jason Katims, so I guess I have to start paying for Hulu Plus!

3. Drew says:

Is this based on the religious group known as The Way?
    Whatever the case, I cringe whenever I hear about a faith themed project like this. Hollywood types have a way of depicting all religious types as brain dead morons who will follow any religion with no sense or logic. Or as liars who use religion to cover up their horrible crimes or whatever. Stereotypes that are pushed by people who don’t know anything beyond stereotypes. While they may sometimes be true, there are many, many perfectly rational, intelligent religious people. More than the stupid or evil ones.

• Et al says:

Religious people have far more to do with a negative perception of religious people than hollywood does.

• brandon says:

I agree with you, but the media doesn’t help by typically highlighting the crazies and not the huge amount of amazing Christian people.

• Drew says:

Religion has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of crazy people out there period. The media just highlights (or outright fabricates) the religious element of the stories.

4. Eric says:

The faith-based aspect makes me question this a little more than I normally would, but with Katims behind it, I have no doubt it will be excellent. Looking forward to this, and hoping it’ll come close to filling the hole left by lack of Parenthood.

5. herman1959 says:

I’m over Jason Katim’s writing; I’ll pass. There is so much more on hulu for me.

6. Joey Padron says:

Good news Jason got a new show pickup to series.

7. Rebecca says:

Love him! But I’m really bummed it’s on Hulu!!!