Dancing With the Stars Week 2 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

Dancing With the Stars Season 20

Not that Dancing With the Stars‘ title really needs to be longer — but after the powerhouse performances delivered on Monday’s installment, may we suggest that Season 20 be known as Dancing With the Stars: The Comeback Kids?

Following a season premiere that left much to be desired from the celebs on the dance floor, Week 2 found even the lowest-scoring couples making an excellent case for why they should walk away with this year’s Mirrorball trophy.

Charlotte McKinney, for example, displayed impressive precision on her cha-cha with Keo Motsepe (while also reminding us that cyberbullying is not cool); Redfoo, shocked by his last-place standing on the judges’ scoreboard, brought technical skill and high energy to his jive; and Patti LaBelle overcame an injured knee to salsa her way through a 50 Cent song (in style, might I add).

Still, not even a strong Week 2 showing would be enough to save one couple from elimination. Before we recap Monday’s results, let’s briefly hit the performance highlights — some of which will come as no surprise:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT | Rumer Willis and pro Val Chmerkovskiy (Cha-Cha) — Sure, Rumer and Val didn’t numerically score as high as the duo earning runner-up kudos in the paragraph below. But more than technical proficiency — which she’s got in spades — Rumer has demonstrated a commitment to perfection (“Do you need to take a break?” she countered in rehearsal, after Val suggested they take a short recess) and a natural ability to fully embody the mood of her performances. Rumer was all attitude on the dance floor — an integral part of the cha-cha — which puts her and Val just a hair above…

RUNNER-UP FOR DANCE OF THE NIGHT | …Nastia Liukin and pro Derek Hough (Rumba) — Conversely, Nastia possesses an inherent ease as she moves, and the pressure to be perfect obviously doesn’t faze her. (See: the 2008 Beijing Olympics.) But even after Nastia and Derek’s rehearsal video harped on the gymnast’s struggle to get “in character,” Nastia was nothing but smiles during her performance, which lacked the necessary intensity between her and her partner.

MOST OVERPRAISED | Willow Shields and Mark Ballas (Argentine Tango) — Hear me out: There’s no doubt that Willow places high on the list of Season 20’s strongest contenders. Not to mention, the Argentine Tango requires a passion and sexiness that the 14-year-old was, surprisingly, able to bring to her routine. Still, even as the judges watched instant replays of Willow and Mark’s performance, they failed to acknowledge how closely Willow kept her legs pinned to her body while executing those all-important kicks — a lack of criticism which will ultimately do the young competitor a major disservice.

WORST OF THE NIGHT | Chris Soules and pro Witney Carson (Cha-Cha) — In rehearsals, as Chris struggled to keep up with Witney’s choreography, the pro admitted she was “this close” to changing the dance moves altogether. Whether or not Witney ultimately decided to tweak the original routine, it was clear that Chris had a difficult time with relatively simple steps, leaving his partner to do most of the legwork (pun not intended, I swear!).

And, without further ado, here are the results, based on last week’s judges’ scoreboard and the home audience’s votes:

FOUR COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Redfoo and pro Emma Slater
Chris Soules and pro Witney Carson
Charlotte McKinney and pro Keo Motsepe
Suzanne Somers and pro Tony Dovolani

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Redfoo and pro Emma Slater
Suzanne Somers and pro Tony Dovolani

ELIMINATED
Redfoo and pro Emma Slater

“I’m just happy that I got the chance to dance,” the LMFAO alum said of his elimination. “I did my best, I think Emma is the best, and I wanted to be there for her.”

OK, your turn. Did Redfoo and Emma deserve to go home? Which pair will get your vote after tonight’s performances? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Tran says:

Didn’t expect to see the guy from LMFAO be the first celeb hoofer to be eliminated.

2. Moria says:

Totally agree Willow was most over praised (though not worst dance). I know she’s only only 14 but still maybe gently mention how she obviously couldn’t remember most of her dance. That’s where a female contestant is lucky to have a male pro taking the leaf and able to cover so well. Bachelor guy was by far the worst and hope he is the one going home.

• RUCookie says:

I appreciate Mark and his inventive choreography… but wow did he draw the short straw to dance with the 14 year old. Some of this stuff is just too sexy … kuidos for him for styling the dance to not look creepy. He deserves the credit – she is not that wonderful. Good, maybe, possibly. But definitely not “in it to win it” or “up there with Rumer and Nastia”. I don’t know what Carrie Ann was watching . . .

• D2D says:

Mark always gets the underage girls as partners. I remember there was this photo of him going around back when Shawn Johnson was his partner. He was visibly excited. The internet had good fun with the pic.

3. Nana3 says:

I was in total shock that he was the first to go. I thought either Chris or Suzanne even Patti were going to go before him. He wasn’t bad at all and I would of liked of seen him do ballroom. It seemed all the dances tonight were too short.

• sanchopanza says:

Huh – I thought it was just me. It seemed like at least for some of them there was almost no dance, after the showoff stuff at the beginning, and then boom – big finish. (Usually the woman drops over in the big dip.) Particularly Patti.

4. Delma Montgomery says:

Am sorry Charlotte & Keo she dances like Kim Kardashian no rhythm she’s not pretty at all. Your ok the judge are just being nice to you!!

• sicHabz says:

And this is exactly what they mean by cyber bullying and its disgusting and despicable. Trust me When I say this they were not just being nice. They are above people like u and my guess is your just jealous. I think she improved and still needs work but improving but people like u sometimes no room for improvement cuz too stuck in negativity. Kinda sad and pathetic really

5. KJ says:

NOOO!! He did NOT deserve to go home! He was the only reason I was looking forward to season 20. He has a hilarious personality and I saw great potential. He would have been the most entertaining celeb dancer this season. SO DISAPPOINTED!!

6. Kell says:

Wrong person voted off. Wow!

7. shellia j. atha says:

No he shouldn’t have been voted off. Wrong one was voted off! Who will i vote for, well it won’t be Derreck!! He is praised way too much!!

8. Brendan says:

Anytime people don’t like someone nowadays and they voice their opinion, suddenly it becomes “bullying” that person. >_< Many people found Charlotte obnoxious and questioned if having big boobs warranted a place on the show – I don't think she was cyber-bullied, I think she was criticized and some of it was warranted. There is a massive difference. Her calling it cyber-bullying seems like a not-so-subtle attempt to gain sympathy votes.

• David H says:

Your post is an example of how to express a negative opinion without resorting to juvenile name-calling. Most of the ones she read did not reach that standard. I don’t know what qualifies as cyber-bullying these days, but I do know what qualifies as civility and basic manners, and those posts didn’t make the cut.

9. David says:

Congrats you old batty woman voters. There goes the stating for anyone under 45. Stupid voting system. See ya

• Anna says:

I am a older white woman and really like Redfoo! I find him very charming and think he got sent home too soon.

10. BrittBrat says:

I knew Chris, Redfoo, and Charlotte would be in the bottom. I figured Redfoo would be the first to go, but I can see Chris and Charlotte being the next 2 out.

11. nancy says:

I thought Suzanne should have been the first to go home, not redfoo. I actually liked him! the 3 I wont vote for are willow, Suzanne or patti. I just don’t don’t think they have what it takes

12. JBC says:

I thought every couple was very much improved this week. I am sure if Redfoo danced as good as he did last night he would have not been eliminated. Enjoyed watching this second week.

13. RUCookie says:

Charlotte was over praised. I have no idea what the judges were commenting on because she lacks basic rhythm and was completely awkward through her legs. Looking at her scores and then at others, its easy to say that the sliding scale is back in full force. Chris (and Whitney)deserved those scores. While he is doing better than I expected, he was clunky out there…. who was smooth—Rumer. WOW – she was easily the dance of the night. That crappy scoring system may have given Derek and Nastia the lead this week, but I dare you to watch those dances again and not see the smooth sexiness that Rumer had (and she didn’t even do the Rumba).

14. Anna says:

Redfoo got robbed! I think the judges rated him to low the first night. He was so fun to watch and showed much potential. Sorry, I didn’t get a chance to vote…..I think everybody thought he was safe and didn’t vote for him.

• Joana says:

Usually I never have to stop watching a dance because of second hand embarrassment but man, Chris was just that bad. And I actually didn’t think he was that bad last week. Shame that Redfoo went home, I think he improved a lot this week. I would’ve sent someone else home. But I liked both the older ladies’ dances this week.
      Willow was good but I like my dance routines with passionate partners and that’s a no with a 14 year old so.
      Favorite of the night, Rumer for sure. Nastia was great but her facial expressions need improvement. I’m really rooting for Michael Sam to step up his game because I see potential in him to be great.

15. barb bowling says:

I really thought Chris would go home. He didnt dance well at all. He acts like he is bored with the whole show if the spot light is not on him. He put a jacket over his dance shirt. Why would he do that? He should be happy for the other dancers and show interest.

16. Ken says:

glad to see this couple go. Too goofy to be viable

17. Brian Roddy says:

Charlotte McKinny is a wonderfule example of never giving up. Bullied in high school and having to withdraw with 2 years remaining is a testimony of Faith & Family. She is an inspiration to all to rise above the bullying and never give up. A great family and a great person. Go Charlotte!!

18. Joneh says:

Please bring back Redfoo! He was the most improved among the other celebrities. i think he will do well if given a chance!
    #bringbackredfoo

19. Susan says:

While I just can’t take Redfoo seriously with that crazy hair, I admit he danced very well last night. I think Charlotte needs to quit portraying herself as the victim anymore. Time to move past it. She has big boobs and that’s what got her on the show, so what? Show us you can dance and people won’t talk about your body parts. I think the producers made her look silly the first week with the comical emphasis on her breasts. I think that’s just awful, she’s a person for God’s sake! I love, love, love Derek!! He has a rare talent for choreography and earning his partners’ trust. I think that’s why he does so well. He’s just so good, I almost think it’s unfair to the other dancers. 5 time winner, maybe he should have sat this one out and give someone else a chance? I’m glad he didn’t because I love watching him!

20. darlajean says:

Derek and Nastia had the dance of the night- by far. It was amazing. Cariel Ann said Nastia was on another level and when they showed Witney upstairs she said Wow and thst she got chills. Rumor and val are very cocky and arrogant. For her to say they didn’t have a lot of competition is horrible. There was never any other star who said something like that and there were many who were soooooo much better than her. If it was anyone else on the show who said that, people Luke you would be all over them and writing nasty things about them. Because it is bruce and demi’s daughter…it’s ok for her to say that. FOR me, Especially now, SHE Is Ruining this Season With THAT attitude. I hope she goes soon. I would like to see nastia win or riker. They are both nice and humble and so are their pro partners. Go Derek and Nastia!!!

21. Chantelle Vachon says:

For our enjoyment & pleasure, Bring Back Redfoo!
    Judges veto.
    Don’t let him go!

22. Des romano says:

America got eliminated I really wish the big breasted show off Charlotte Mckinney went home!!!!!

23. Ann says:

From what I saw last week, the right couple went home tonight 3/30/2015.