Castle Recap: Moonlighting Cursed — Plus, What's Beckett's Next Move?

Castle Recap Ryan Shooting

This week on ABC’s Castle, Ryan’s latest gig working private security resulted in a very public tragedy, while Beckett’s identification with a murder victim helped nudge her to make a career move.

What this Ryan-centric outing had over, say, Season 5’s “Fenton O’Connell” undercover op is that we had Ryan being Ryan — though he was markedly more serious, since he took it quite personally that the shooting of a congressman and an associate went down under his watch.

Also, the Case of the Week was pretty well-crafted. As Seamus Dever previewed for TVLine, it was told partially in flashback, as Ryan and other witnesses tried to piece together what happened — before he and Rick busted out standing silhouettes and laser beams to map out impossible bullet trajectories and such.

I feared, when I reported on the guest casting for this episode, that Reiko Aylesworth’s character would wind up being the killer, since the ageless 24 alum was the name-iest name here besides Desperate husband Ricardo Chivara. So I was pleasantly surprised to see that final zag happen, where the congressman’s wife had an (illicit) alibi. Instead, misleadingly meek chief of staff Megan was actually behind the shooting, though her motive was a li’l fuzzy. (That said, I would have also been fine with “billionaire industrialist” Carl Shelton being our killer; David Andrews always makes for a good baddie.)

As noted above, the episode afforded Dever the chance to tackle some decidedly intense scenes, especially when Ryan confronted brother-in-law Frank (Ghost Whisperer‘s David Conrad) about the money he’s been making on the side. (Note to self: spare press badges to the right event can fetch $5K, cash.)

The episode was, yes, rather Caskett-less — that opening bit with the PowerPoint grumbling was utterly disposable. But the examining Castle Season 7 Videoof the vic’s personal effects (why would Castle only now be finding out Beckett hates that part of the job…?), coupled with that rando guy’s raving about Kate’s reputation (and last week’s discovery that her classmate rose in the ranks faster than her), apparently nudged her in the direction of making a greater difference, by studying for the captain’s exam. Which surely would make for an interesting wrinkle in the season (?) finale in May.

What did you think of “At Close Range”?

1. Regina says:

If she gets Captain, work it in a way where we don’t lose Gates..double promotion?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yeah, something tidy, like Gates’ sister offers her a job at the same time etcetera.

• NF and SK fan always says:

ummm……sounds interesting way to say move some of the characters around……we already are.

• tyranthraxus says:

Get rid of Gates, push Beckett up to captain. Move Ryan over to Becketts old position, and introduce a new female detective to take Ryans position with Esposito.

My reasoning here is that, Ryan and Castles chemistry seems better and capable of providing some interesting scens than Castle and Esposito.

• NF and SK fan always says:

Hey, I like Gates, but it would be an interesting storyline, they need something new if they want to continue.

2. Barry says:

She said she hates politics and I thought being a captain would be boring for her so it’s like what is she going to do especially if there happens to be another season

3. Once again, Beckett is exhausting me. And I am confused to where they are going with her storyline. Is she going to get pregnant? Or go after being police captain and break up the nifty little family unit she has with Ryan, Castle, Espo, Lani and occasionally Gates?

4. Hannah says:

Anyone else thought the writers were alluding to Josh Gomez’s Season 6 stint “from the future” where he alluded to Senator Beckett having 3 Castle babies?

• CMG says:

Definitely, although I’ve been recalling that for a few weeks now, when this whole restless Beckett subplot got started. The trend in that direction definitely was much more pronounced this week than ever before. I’m hoping that they’re just toying with the viewers who remember that bit.

• NF and SK fan always says:

yeah I remember that, that was what i was hoping that would happen to but now I don’t see it.

5. James D says:

pretty good episode I figured most of it out within the first five minutes but still enjoyed the little bait and switch at the end. I didn’t mind the lack of Caskett to be honest but I’m surprised about Beckett wanting to make captain, not sure how that would work seeing as a big part of the show is her and Castle solving crimes together, not sure that is viable with her being Captain. I’m still optimistic that ABC will work out a deal to bring Castle back but dang it Tvline you aren’t making it easy with all these subtle hints that the end is nigh. Not cool guys :)

• lkh says:

So, the early scene in the car–to myself, if we don’t see that woman again for a while–she’s the killer. Yup, works every time.

Agree, either of the paths, Senator or Captain, it isn’t the same, probably won’t be accepted.

6. Cara says:

they are totally setting up for Senator Beckett…hope we get a chance to see it if they get picked up. ala parks&rec final season time jumps, nice wrap up of storylines.

7. DarkDefender says:

This season, with Ryan’s side jobs .. A recap was just begging for a “moonlighting” reference. Way to capitalize Matt!
    This episode wasn’t bad.. It sadly seems that they are tying up the storylines and character trajectories pretty tidily. Episode 20’s re-jump into Castle’s disappearance can’t come soon enough, but then there will only be 3 Eps left. I wish this was all a last minute fake-out.. But my gut says NF & SK are done and this is the end.
    #sadface

• tyranthraxus says:

Why sad? You got a lot more episodes than most shows ever get.

• lkh says:

I think you’re right–whether it’s Senator Beckett or Captain Beckett–it an’t the same show anymore. This sounds like prep for the finale–but, I don’t know if they’re totally prepared to finish it. Hopefully, if there is a series finale, it will be well done.

8. skrable2 says:

I’m not quite sure — if Beckett is feeling like she isn’t making a difference as a detective — how becoming the desk jockey in charge of the detectives is going to improve her sense of self-respect. At least as a detective, she actually catches the murderer.

• Just one thing says:

This is why they should’ve addressed her FBI stint head on after she left. Or maybe they’re capitalizing in the face that they didnt.
      At the end of the day, Beckett has always been perturbed by the politics and bureaucracy getting in the way of her job. Nothing she said about politicians at the end by the murder board was particularly ground-breaking. And as awesome as she is, she isn’t going to turn the tide on 50 years of political behavior, either as a captain or a senator.
      At least she likely won’t be able to change it within the confines of the series.

• jj rio says:

plot device decisions will be the death of the show. mark my words. the writers aren’t even trying anymore. sad, castle used to be a well written show.

• NF and SK fan always says:

i think that she was taking the exam to “prove” to herself that she could not that she wanted to move into the desk job. and stay just that.

9. Susan says:

I can’t keep track of Beckett anymore – she hated the politics in the AG’s office and now she wants to be captain? And suddenly getting justice for the victims is meaningless to her? Can we get to something a little more interesting like Castle’s disappearance. This whole Beckett doubting her worth again is boring, boring, boring.

• Just one thing says:

Can the writers keep track of Beckett? One luxury I think they’ve exploited over the years is having Beckett be the emotionally driver of story and often the catalyst for movement in Caskett’s relationship… even when it does fit her past behavior.
      They need someone to have doubts in the relationship? That’s Kate. They need someone whose past comes back to rear its ugly head? That’s Kate. They need some way to derail Castle and Beckett’s wedding? Kate was married before. They need someone to put in mortal danger? It’s probably gonna be Kate.
      Beckett has been their go-to character for soooo many plot devices and tropes, and while it has led to some really enjoyable episodes, interesting stories and great performances, I think it has also made the writers complacent.
      It’s not just Beckett’s characterization that they seem to be that way with, but when you compare just how much they use Beckett to transition into and out of story arcs – and not always to her benefit – with how much they use Castle to do so, it seems like a series of strange, uneven decisions.

• KCC says:

I see the show as Beckett being Castle’s muse, so of course she’s the catalyst for everything. Castle is using her experiences to fuel his creative juices. Even though the show is called Castle, it’s really about Beckett and Castle telling her stories.

• Cassie says:

That’s why this season is failing, because the muse has been sent to the background and Castle is being his own muse.

• adm1406 says:

I, too, think this season is failing because it’s too much about Richard Castle, with not enough of Beckett or the supporting cast – all of whom are:
            i) better actors than the king of overacting and master of daft, inappropriate facial expressions & actions Nathan Filion; and
            ii) more interesting characters than the one-dimensional Castle.

Personally, I have zero interest in why he disappeared: I’ve always watched the show in spite of, not because of RC/NF.

• R says:

It’s pretty amazing that you know that Beckett wants to be Captain when she herself doesn’t even know. She specifically said she wasn’t sure if being Captain was the correct next step for her. And again with the hyperbole; Beckett never said that her job was meaningless.

exactly (cheers)

someone else caught that line too. i think she was just trying to prove that she could do it not that she wanted too.

• Harry Wild says:

It called “keeping up with her peers”! Beckett would be a good Captain in a smaller city but NYPD? No way! She does not have the temperament for politics!

• NF and SK fan always says:

she said “it might not be right for her!” so I think that she wanted to “prove” to herself that she could do it if she wanted it. I think she’s still in her thinking mood and you’re right get back to castle

10. Just one thing says:

Great Ryan episode, nice drama and clean case.
    But I don’t understand how they can suggest that taking the captain’s test is a “next step.” It doesn’t take a lot of research to know she has a few other promotions before she gets to that point.
    Hell, you just have to be loosely paying attention to Benson’s trajectory on SVU over the last few years. I believe Sergeant and Lieutenant were her titles before she took over. Why would Castle writers try to cut corners or make unrealistic leaps for Beckett?
    If Beckett magically leap frogs up the chain, and they displace Gates as a result, that’s gonna be hard to accept.
    Great to see Beckett has a stellar reputation in some camps, and it’s always fun to see a nod to the time-traveling

• jj rio says:

Benson is a sergeant. She hasn’t advanced up.

• Just one thing says:

Thanks for clarifying! I thought I saw some promos or spoilers where she was head of the precinct for a while, but I distinctly remember Sergeant Benson.
        Still, the fact remains that promoting Beckett from detective to captain would be a crazy leap.

• Badpenny says:

Keep in mind that most Detectives are not even Sergeants. A more logical choice would be for Beckett to become Sergeant, or at best, Lieutenant Beckett, in charge of all Sergeants at the precinct.

• Just one thing says:

Yeah, I suggested Lieutenant last week, without realizing that there’s another step with Sarge.

• lkh says:

So JOT–you think the writers putting forth something that is hard to accept is going to be novel? ‘Why would Castle writers try to cut corners or make unrealistic leaps for Beckett?’–because that’s the way they write now.

I’m feeling a little grumpy. The episode was fine, SD gave it some thought and energy but the rest of the group just feels low energy and flat to me nowadays. Kinda putting in the time. SK was never like that-but I see it with her scenes now.

Anyway, so you’re thinkin’ it’s the political direction, Senator Beckett.

• Just one thing says:

You’re right. That is how they write now.
        Ironically, in episodes where NF and SK work LESS, they tend to give off a low-energy vibe. Since we know they’re not upset about a friend/colleague getting the spotlight, and considering they’re probably happy to have some days off, the only thing I can assume is they have less opportunities to find their rhythm within their altered work weeks.
        And I don’t know about the politics vs. senator options. Neither seems particularly appealing to me if we are look at the near future. If this is something they’re alluding to in regards to the distant future, right on. But it seems to me like Kate Beckett needs to be in the thick of the action – whether the show goes on with or without her.

• lkh says:

Good point about them picking up the rhythm together-that could account for it, but I’ve also noticed it in other episodes where they’ve been together more. Both SK and NF are doing it. I understand that their schedules are tough and they are probably really tired but so what…

I don’t know. It seems with these successful programs, that have a particular ‘recipe’ that seems to work, that gets them a certain amount of positive response which increases the number of seasons, that there is a formula that got them there, then a feeling/thought of the TPTB comes up with a need to change/adjust what has been working. Maybe because they feel the characters should ‘grow’ and not be stagnant, or maybe because clever stories have disappeared from the writers’ room that would be consistent with the prior story basis. For example, The Good Wife was a good, interesting series, great stories and dynamic characters. Now, she’s run for office–guess no private practice anymore even though that had been interesting and what made the show.Great court room drama. Was there anything more boring on TGW then that election? This show: Beckett is a homicide cop and Castle tags along after her- that is the program. This is what folks liked, this was the successful recipe. Good stories, good chemistry, great banter, flirting, great cast, ups and downs, etc. Again, unfortunately, when success arrives, it seems folks decide ‘let’s change it to something unrecognizable, change who the characters are, what their interests are, what their typical behavior is, what we have learned is their modus operandi, what is reasonable and possible’; nope it’s let’s let them ‘grow’ and change. I think it’s risky business to make severe changes in what has worked. Do we really want to watch a show called Castle, of which we have fond memories, and then it becomes actually about Senator Beckett? How would that work? How much running for office will we need to endure? What about Castle with a Captain Beckett. Can’t envision her in the field as a Captain–what’s Castle going to be doing ? This series will not continue with these kinds of changes. These are exit ideas. They move onto those pursuits, we will only see their intent to do so and will need to imagine their future lives ’cause they will be gone. I’m not saying these are unrealistic in real life, I’m saying this isn’t the show we know. Are we going to have yet another, ‘they move on then come back’? Don’t think so. No I can’t believe they will do that FBI gambit again, or the PI episodes, or Castle and Beckett fighting and getting back together, or any of the repeated tricks that are supposed to make it clever and interesting and dramatic because of the obstacle. I would welcome another copy of Hitchcock like the 100th episode, or a filler like Still, or many others that have been clever but not necessarily an ‘original’ Castle utilizing the same characters that we understand, a person that is true to themselves and proceeds that way.

(On a positive not, I liked the forensics stuff that Castle and Ryan snuck off to do–true to the characters, something both would be equally interested in and would follow up. Bottom line Castle and Ryan like gadgets. It wouldn’t make sense if Beckett and Espo had snuck off and done this.)

• NF and SK fan always says:

exactly and the show will not be a success without her.

• Just one thing says:

If Castle were to ever go Beckett – lite or Beckett – free, I know that my Monday nights would suddenly be available.

• NF and SK fan always says:

I would seriously miss her. She and Castle are why I started my true passion again-writing poetry, a lot was based on them! (or should I say their love affair). I just don’t see the show moving on without her!

11. ndixit says:

For heavens sake,please keep Beckett away from politics of any kind. I pretty much hate the future scenario mentioned in the time travel episode. Beckett would make a terrible politician. She sees the world in black and white and has a very idealistic sense of the justice system. No real politician, even an honest one, can be a successful politician with those traits. I fear that they may be leading Beckett towards that path and I really don’t think the job suits her at all. For another thing, she hates having the public eye on her, something no politician can avoid.

12. Er1986 says:

Hey Matt is the headline of this piece have a deeper meaning -i.e. Castle the tvshow is suffering from The Moonlighting Curse?

13. amogh says:

having read all the nikki heat books. …. I kinda expected kate’s choice for future. ….. Yes but putting kate as captain will put her out of field work which strongly hinders castle and beckett working together on a case (now she will have monitor the proceeding of all the cases of precinct)

14. a says:

It’s such a shame that the show is going to end on a cliffhanger, as per Amann’s previous interview. We all know by now that it’s not coming back and to end it that way is so unsatisfactory for fans and the people behind the scenes who still care. I wish ABC would just publicly admit that negotiations with NF and SK have stalled out and put all this speculation to rest. Let fans start to accept the end instead living on false hope.

• NF and SK fan always says:

exactly well done, just tell us already we know that it’s not coming back why give us fans -who want to show to stay-false hope that it will. just man or woman up to the facts!

15. Matthew Weber says:

Liked it, though it wasn’t a great episode. Liked the Ryan focused mob episode much better.

As for Beckett, I think she’s going to consider politics to clean up washington or whatever. Castle said “Could use more people who think like you do,” so maybe that’s the direction she goes in. Either way, any move beyond detective is going to end the show. I just don’t see how they can continue to season 8 if she isn’t solving crimes alongside Castle, Ryan and Espo. Her partnership with Castle is the entire premise of the show. The PI arc worked because it was temporary. Any move Beckett makes won’t be, which will make it much harder to write into the show given what the show is supposed to be about.

16. cherry says:

In my opinion, if it is time for Kate to move on with her life with another career, she deserves it. I think she will make a wonderful Captain, that would mean Capt. Gates may get a higher promotion and leaves the space open. What I would like to see happen, hopefully we get to see Beckett as a Captain, half way through season 8 if we get it. See how she would be as a Captain for a couple of episodes well, and also with pregnancy in the making, how she deals with it. If the show needs to end, I hope it goes out with a bang and look forward to bring back their relationship with more love and tenderness in it…….Castle was well accepted by a very large fandom and we deserved to see proper closure with the characters…….

• John NYC says:

Beckett doesn’t have the rank to reach Captain just yet. It could be that exam is just a test for herself to see if she should stay on that path. If so then she’ll put in for the intermediates ranks between her and that eventual goal. Sergeant, Lieutenant …

• NF and SK fan always says:

that’s what i got out of it that she was just “proving” that she could do it. not that she would take on that job. didn’t she even tell castle that she didn’t know if this was right for her?

• amogh says:

well detective nikki heat did become captain of her own precinct directly. No exam for lieutenant or Seargent.

17. Alie Hunter says:

The potential “Capt Beckett” arc is dumb. If Caskett isn’t at home viewers want Castle and Beckett working a case together. Putting aside the fact that a detective to captains promotion is as likely as me getting a unicorn for my birthday, captains are desk jockeys. They don’t work cases of the week.

18. mike says:

I think Kate needs something to remind her of the difference she can still make. Put her in cases that might be personal to her. I know after 7 years you’ve covered so much, but surely you could write something that could go along those lines.

• NF and SK fan always says:

to me that’s the whole point of these past esp, showing her that not everyone she thinks has it all really do. it’s making her look into her own life, she thinks that she has to prove herself.

19. paula says:

OK, first off I think if they end on a cliff hanger this season they will come back for a short final season to wrap up – like The Mentalist did. That way they can wrap up the stories as well as give the cast and crew time to line up other gigs. As for Beckett being promoted and ending up behind a desk – if there are really little Castles in the future Kate has to pull back on the chasing perps for at least a few years and that would work for transiting her to either Captain or Senator so this season’s big ending could be she finds out she’s pregnant. Also even though they have a very high solve rate for cases it’s still unusual for a team to stay together as long as this one has. The NYPD would promote or reassign them to spread their experience thought the department (also one of my complaints about NCIS – they would have moved Tony and Tim years ago). About the politics and the time traveler story line – he said “Senator Beckett” without specifying State Senator or U.S. Senator so maybe Kate ends up on a crime fighting task force with a State Senator looking over their shoulders and with the attention she’s gotten (from both the Bracken case and Nikki Heat) she’s approached to run for office when the Senator in question gets a job appointment in Washington or dies unexpectedly. If the show does a West Wing sort of ending – showing where everyone is years from now – I’d have Gates as a deputy police commissioner, Ryan as captain of the 12th (but being groomed by Gates for promotion), Kate as a state senator (with her dad running her office maybe) and Alexis as the Castle on magazine covers as CEO of her own company (with Espo maybe as her head of security).

• NF and SK fan always says:

love for that to happen but i don’t think that it will i think that the cliffhanger will be the series finanle….and no more.

20. KCC says:

I thought this episode was so-so. I always think Castle is at it’s best with the more comedic episodes. There weren’t many laughs in this one, except Ryan’s line that when you have a wacky theory you call Castle, not the voice of reason (Beckett) and Castle and Esposito being fans of One Direction. As much as I still enjoy watching Castle, I’m personally ready for the series to end. All I need to be satisfied is to find out what happened to Castle when he disappeared. I never understood having the characters lives tied up in a neat happy ending knot. Unless they do a time jump, however it ends will only point the characters lives in certain directions. I’m fine with thinking they’re all continuing to fight crime in the big apple until the end of time.

21. Teri says:

Hope Beckett goes Captain route and not Politics. She is not cut out for that. Seamus Dever wonderfully portrays Ryan with a lot of emotion and gave another fine performance. Loved when he asked his friend, Castle, for help building theory. This episode showed just how many storylines there are to tell. Seasons 8-9 are a must.

22. K says:

I have no idea where the writers are going with Beckett. I thought Beckett was going to start a family with Castle, but now I think the writers will go the career route. How is this story-line any different than the one at the end of season 5. They better not have Beckett take the captains exam and fail,

• NF and SK fan always says:

i think that she was just trying to prove herself and not really go for it all the way. she said that might not even be ready for this or the right thing……It may also be just a way out uncase there are no more esp.

23. Danica says:

I think it’s possible that Beckett will opt to continue with her law degree studies. She loves the law, she loves helping people, she loves seeking justice. She loves doing all of these things, but part of it is being “in the trenches” and being a part of the effect of securing justice. You don’t see the sort of movement she wants to ensure as a part of the political chain and there are too many other compromises she wouldn’t be willing to make. I could see her returning to the path of following in her mother’s footsteps and continuing to advocate for victims as an attorney. For me, this makes the most sense for who Beckett is and where she is in her life right now. Also, if there is to be an 8th season, this direction doesn’t interfere with the current dynamic on the show.

24. Simone says:

This kind of storyline is more fun and less confusing if you’ve read the books. Just sayin’

Also, I’m excited for whatever Beckett chooses to do next :D

25. Luis says:

First, isn’t Detective to Captain something of a jump, promotion-wise? Lieutenant, maybe? Second, could the writers be prepping any harder for a series finale?

• NF and SK fan always says:

that’s what’s scary is that they will screw that up too.

• Harry Wild says:

Depending on how the city ranks are arranged; you can have the same grade as a Lieutenant – it called “First Grade Detective” but it usually equivalent to that of a sergeant!
      A Lieutenant grade is in police management! A patrol sergeant is also considered in policy management in a large police force such as NYPD! They manage police officers! Captain usually is in charge of 200-500 patrol officers and detectives. But the show only specializes in the homicide squad and up the ranking to show importances along with eliminating the patrol duties officers and other detective squads. There is no lieutenant ranks that I have seen on the show either. Only sergeant for patrol officers; no detectives.

26. sigh says:

Where the heck is Lanie?

27. Dj says:

I think Kate will pass the Captain exam, but she will find out she is pregnant.

• NF and SK fan always says:

where did it say that she was “really” taking it? just because she was thinking about it, doesn’t mean that she will……

28. Solid Ep, and loved to see Seamus get more screen time. Plus, the Ep allowed for the set-up of the final season arc. Not sure where they are going, but Castle is a show that is unequal. It can go from very Dark, to very Lite. There is no other show like it.

29. lame says:

Wasn’t this the season of Castle mythology? Weren’t we going to at long last learn the reason for his writing obsession with gruesome murders. Or how he had so many underworld contacts. Will we at least get to see his initial efforts into serious literature and his insperation for that effort. Will we every get any answers to these questions.

• Gern Blanston says:

That part of the story is supposed to unfold over the last three episodes of the season.

• lame says:

The entire Castle mytholoy will unfold in 3 episodes? Yet I understand that writers are returning to Beckett’s, hmmmmm.

• NF and SK fan always says:

from what ive read is that esp 20 is the main one for castle vanishing, and the last esp is about beckett again but it has been changed form the two of them to her so we will see how that plays out.

main one being 7×20!

• NF and SK fan always says:

have you not been on here for a while esp 7×20 will give us some answers but i don’t think that we will get all of them i think that they will go into the season\series finale.

30. Viv says:

I thought this episode was really boring.
    No fun. No one-liners. No advancing the arcs. No real Caskett discussion. I would have been happy with at least one of these. Seemed like a season 6 episode.
    Oh well, can’t make them all good…

• NF and SK fan always says:

that’s because the focus was on Ryan’s character, not beckett , not castle, not espo…….only ryan and I believe that it did move forwards a little, my fav part was Ryan called Castle when he went to the out of the box theory-he is turning into a little castle himself.

• NF and SK fan always says:

maybe that’s Caskett’s kids-Ryan Espo and a new baby! complete family!

31. megh says:

in the mean time if castle writers are so focused on making beckett a superhero on show can we get nathan fillion to play a real suprehero in mcu come on its time i don’t mind a villain either

32. lauri5567 says:

I had posted a comment about Gates being Kate’s mentor and liking the Ryan episodes, but it’s been deleted. That’s the second time that’s happened. I wonder what is the deal.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Sorry, but a total of zero (0) comments from you are showing up in either our Spam, Pending or Trash folders.

33. lame says:

Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that we’ve seen at least a dozen episodes devoted to Beckett’s mythology and when we were promised an entire season delving into Castle’s we’re already into episode 19 and nothing. Are the writers going to repeat the wedding scenario and tac the entire Castle mythology to the last three minuets of one of the remaining episodes.

34. lame says:

There were so many lost opportunities, beyond Castle’s story. How much fun would it have been to see Castle mentor Ryan on writing mystery novels on a weekly basis at his loft, then Beckett could’ve been part of the process.

• NF and SK fan always says:

true to that, they have missed a lot over the years! That’s what FF is for, there are better witters IMO that capture the real Castle moments! But I still love the show watching re-runs now!

35. lame says:

If I were to guess about the main point of the season finale, it would be that Beckett is offered a job at a senators office and it’s presented in a way that would satisfy her need to make a difference.
    Now if we could see Castle start his actual novel.
    Of course that would mean if there were to be another season, it would be without the precinct.

• NF and SK fan always says:

that in my eyes wouldn’t work at all, people aren’t going to watch for one or the other character most want to see them working together as captain or senator will not fly with most fans and they won’t be back (season 8).

• John NYC says:

There’s no part of watching Beckett draft white papers on tax policy or Rick typing at a desk creating his next novel that would make for any sort of television I’d watch at any rate.

And Nathan paid his soap opera dues long ago.

Cop show with a comedic tinge. What was that tag line again? “Eight million stories…”

• NF and SK fan always says:

exactly, no one wants to see that, now if that’s where they show them and then end it fine, that would be okay-but the show won’t go on……

36. lame says:

The green light for next season was given in Nov and again in Jan by the head of programming at ABC. The hold is the contract negotiations. With viewers and demo down significantly, the leads may not get what they are asking. Not that I fault them, 60 hour work weeks gets old fast, six years could become unbearable.

37. Harry Wild says:

You don’t automatically go to Captain after you pass the test! You are on a list and the powers to be will assign you where you go to full fill your position. Since it NYPD; it could be anywhere and you don’t automatically end up in the homicide squad again; you could be assign to Captain of Personnel too!

• lame says:

This is setting up the scenario for Beckett leaving the NYPD in the season finale and beginning her journey to the stare senate. Most likely which we will never see.l