Exclusive

Smallville Alum Allison Mack Gets Pulled Into NBC's American Odyssey

Allison Mack

Smallville alum Allison Mack has booked a “super”-compelling arc on the upcoming NBC drama American Odyssey.

Premiering Sunday, April 5 at 10/9c, the Traffic-like thriller stars Anna Friel (Pushing Daisies) as Sergeant Odelle Ballard, an American soldier who, in the midst of a SEAL Team Six-like takedown of an Al Qaeda leader, stumbles across enormously volatile intel. Soon afterwards, private military contractors arrive to take out Odelle’s entire unit, though she miraculously, secretly survives.

As the rumor that Sgt. Ballard is alive starts spreading — yet is dismissed as “propaganda” by nefarious members of the military brass — corporate litigator Peter Decker (Nurse Jackie‘s Peter Facinelli) and activist Harrison Walters (Jake Robinson, The Carrie Diaries) get pulled into the deadly conspiracy.

Mack’s role in all of this? TVLine has learned exclusively that she will play Julia, an intelligent and empathetic stranger who befriends Odelle’s daughter Suzanne in a bookstore — though all is perhaps not as it seems….

Since wrapping her run as Smallville‘s Chloe “The Original Felicity” Sullivan, Mack has recurred on FX’s Wilfred and guested on Fox’s The Following. Her American Odyssey arc begins with Episode 7.

1. Azerty says:

I was just thinking about her very recently and how much I would love to see her as a guest in Flash. Anyway good for her and that show sounds interesting. God I miss Smallville!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I’m two episodes in and I’m digging it. It just may fill the “24”-shaped hole in my heart this spring. And Anna Friel is pretty fantastic in it.

• Drew says:

I would love to see either Allison or Chloe on The Flash… But I don’t think it would be right for Allison to play Chloe on the show. Unless they cross into another universe (the Smallville universe)

2. Tran says:

She was so lovable during her amazing run on Smallville.

3. Sasha says:

Aww Love her! I want to see it, I’m not a fan of Peter Facinelli but if its good enough I can over look him>

4. Chris says:

Well they just gained a viewer. DVR’d!

5. BrightLight says:

They had me at Anna Friel but I’ll stay for “Traffic-like” because I still watch that movie like it’s 2000.

6. JC1 says:

Wow, hadn’t heard anything about her in a long time.

The show sounds interesting. The scheduling makes me think it will be DOA unfortunately.

7. Sarah says:

Ooh I’m excited about this! Digging the cast- loved Peter F in Damages. Hey Mitovich, if I season pass this, that won’t count towards ratings really huh? Just watching live? Super pumped.

8. wonderwall says:

Since wrapping her run as Smallville‘s Chloe “The Original Felicity” Sullivan– The amount of snark here is insane (unless I read that wrong) :p Chloe and Felicity are nothing alike other than their intelligence, blonde hair, and their bow wielding counterparts…
    Regardless, this sounds really interesting! I’ll be glad to see Ms. Mack on my screen again :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Zero snark, actually. (Once in a while, the Internet isn’t the worst of people.)

• wonderwall says:

Then I read it wrong :) Sometimes it’s difficult to gauge someone’s tone through text.

• wonderwall says:

Apologies if I offended you! This is great news though! Ms. Mack killed it in Smallville and I’m sure she’ll do the same in this show!

• Sarah says:

I actually thought you meant Keri Russel’s “Felicity” so I was like “huh? No she’s not.” I’m on the trolley now though. Where do I surrender my nerd card?

• Wordsmith says:

-Plucky, quippy, brainy blondes
      -Early members of the secretive inner circle
      -Serious computer skills
      -Hang out in the lair, watching on screens and providing intel to the heavy-hitters in the field
      -often serve as moral compass for conflicted heroes
      -complicated romantic entanglements with the Green Arrow

I’d say the comparison is an apt one. Feel free to read with snark.

• wonderwall says:

Don’t get me wrong, I love both Felicity and Chloe and don’t mind the comparison (what I would give to see them interact on screen together!). I just don’t feel like they’re similar whatsoever other than the superficial stuff (brainy quippy blondes, hang out in the lair, hacker skills, early member of secretive inner circle, their romantic entanglements with GA). Their personalities are completely different, they have different goals in life, etc. I didn’t meant to offend. I just don’t see it.

• ChrisGa says:

So you don’t think ALL those similarities that YOU mentioned are enough to elicit a logical comparison? Alrighty then…

Either way, totally understood Matt’s completely snark-free comparison and miss my weekly AM fix as Chloe was always my fave Smallville character.

• wonderwall says:

Like I said, it just depends on how one read it. Sometimes tone doesn’t translate well through text. I wasn’t trying to vilify anyone with my post, I was just making an observation of which was wrong and of which I apologized for so I don’t really understand the point of your response?
            Yes Chloe and Felicity have superficial similarities. But at the heart of it, they are quite different characters which is why I didn’t understand the comparison and in turn thought that it was a snarky remark. Surely you’d be more understanding of a person who just misunderstood something, right?
            Unless any of the EPs say that they drew inspiration from Chloe from Smallville, I won’t really buy that Chloe was the ‘original Felicity’. But that’s my personal opinion (I’m starting to wonder whether I should add a disclaimer to all of my comments saying “this is my personal opinion” so people will understand that I’m not trying to shove my opinion down anyone’s throats).

9. Ray says:

Nothing about Odyssey looks remotely “super” or “compelling.”

10. Drew says:

Teeechnically, Felicity Smoak was around before Chloe Sullivan.

11. chuckiechk says:

i’d love to see Allison mack appear as part of the arrow/flash universe. dc likse to pull from their past for their current projects, so I will never rule out any of the smallville cast appearing

12. Hot damn! The more Allison Mack on my TV, the happier that I’ll be!

13. aw says:

I miss Chloe and smallville

14. Joey Padron says:

Happy she’s gonna be on TV more! She was great on Smallville. Can’t wait to see her episode of The Following!

15. Love to see news of when Allison Mack is on my screen. So much more than the original Felicity that one!

16. Essie says:

I loved her so much on Smallville. I miss that show!

17. keith edwards says:

Gained a viewer…. Allison is so beautiful.

18. I wish; ‘Good Luck!@ to Allison Mack and Anna Friel in their new project.