Exclusive

One Tree Hill's Bethany Joy Lenz Joins Shonda Rhimes' ABC Drama Pilot Smoke and Mirrors

Bethany Joy Lenz is getting her con on.

The One Tree Hill alumna has landed a series-regular role in Smoke and Mirrors, Shonda Rhimes’ con artist-themed ABC drama pilot, TVLine has learned exclusively. (The project was FKA The Catch.)

The potential series centers on the strong successful Alice Martin (The Killing‘s Mirelle Enos), a fraud investigator who’s about to be the victim of fraud herself by fiancé Kieran (NCIS‘ Damon Dayoub). Between her cases, she is determined to find him before it ruins her career.

Lenz will play Kieran’s wife Zoe, a girl-next-door-type who is able to pass as Kieran’s sister in their cons. She loves her husband and loves their life — amoral though it may be — and she’s going to hang on tight as she senses him slipping away from her.

The actress-singer recently headlined the ill-fated E! musical-drama pilot Songbyrd.

1. Kayla says:

YASS! Loved her on OTH!

2. mariangela says:

This is great news!!! Joy on a Shonda drama!!! AMAZING!!! And zoe sound badass!! I hope this pilot is a go!!!

3. Matt C. says:

This news just made my day. Bethany is one of my favorite actresses, and I’ve been waiting for her to land another awesome TV gig after One Tree Hill ended. Adding her to Shondaland is a recipe for success!

4. herman1959 says:

The Catch was a better name than Smoke and Mirrors, but there’s still time to change it again.

5. Sarah says:

Mirelle Enos and Bethany Joy together is what my dreams are made of. This better be picked up, or else I am storming the ABC offices with tourches.

6. SPAMMER says:

SPAM DELETED

7. Andy J says:

I loved her when she played teenaged clone Reva on “Guiding Light”. She showed spunk and spark even back then.

8. Manu says:

a white chick as the lead in a Shonda Rhimes series? wow

9. esteban says:

Damn, she’s hot vs cute as a blonde. Wonder if she’s keeping it?

10. KalEpic says:

Smoke and Mirrors or The Catch?

11. Aimee says:

Was devastated when Songbyrd didn’t get picked up. Cannot wait for her to be back on tv! She’s been missed!

12. Arlene says:

glad she’s got a new gig, wanted to hear her sing, though

13. Mary S says:

This show sounds like the lamest thing I’ve read in a long time!! They are considering putting this show on, while still not renewing Forever or S.H.I.E.L.D. ???
    I don’t care who’s in the cast, the premise is weak and off-putting, while both Forever and S.H.I.E.L.D. have proven fan-bases…I don’t care who’s sleeping with whom, or who’s being paid off, I will boycott this and any other new show if they take Forever and S.H.I.E.L.D from me! I’ve lost too many shows already. I will become a permanent viewer of the Food Network if all they’re going to give me is two-timing spouses and con artists!

14. sd says:

Oh wow interesting mix of talents. Mireille Enos Bethany Joy Lenz Shonda Rhimes Betsy Beers and Jennifer Schuur. Will keep an eye on this.

15. Badgorrilla says:

When is Hilarie Burton gonna get some regular work

16. 20dj10 says:

Loved her on OTH!!! So happy to see her returning to tv again.

17. It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of info.
    I’m satisfied that you simply shared this helpful info with us.
    Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

18. Sami says:

I have mixed feelings about this. I absolutely love Bethany Joy Lenz – Haley James Scott was my favorite character on OTH and Bethany’s portrayal of her was perfect! I have been wanting to see her in an acting role once again, ever since those few episodes on Dexter (which she was also fabulous in).

However…

I used to be a MEGA Grey’s Anatomy fan until this season. I feel (own personal feelings) like Shonda has kind of let GA sink since Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder took off. I don’t watch those two shows (they simply just don’t fascinate me) so I can’t judge the writing and plotlines for them…but I have been an avid GA watcher from the beginning. The writing and plotlines are always about someone cheating and some ridiculous disaster now, I get it – it’s a drama show (I love drama!) but there is such a thing as unrealistically, over-the-top drama. Plus, as a sole believer in monogamous relationships who takes sex very seriously, I find it insulting how everyone is cheating on each other now. Arizona and Callie were ruined for me in the past two seasons. Derek’s maybe cheating storyline this current season. Also, April’s virgin/hypocrite storyline was very insulting to me as I am someone who is a virgin and waiting for marriage. Now, I honestly haven’t watched GA since it returned from Christmas break so it’s unfair of me to say the episodes sucked – I have just lost interest in the show now, especially since Derek died. I understand that Patrick wanted to leave (no ill feelings towards him at all) but there was no need to kill the character off. That was just very lazy writing, not to mention a slap in the face to the fans of not only his character but the Derek/Meredith love that has graced our screens for the past eleven years! Shame on you, Shonda!

My point in the novel I’m writing (LOL!) is that I don’t have a lot of faith in Shonda Rhimes anymore. I really hate to say that and I am honestly hoping to be proven wrong and pleasantly surprised with this new show of hers – I’m just not holding my breath. I am also a little unsure about the storyline of the overall show. I’ve never been into con, mob type things.

But like I said, I am very excited for Bethany Joy Lenz to be on my screen again. I will definitely give this show a chance and hope for something wonderful!