Pilots: About a Boy's Minnie Driver Lands Female Lead on CBS' Happy Life

Minnie Driver CBS Pilot

Minnie Driver has landed the female lead on the CBS comedy pilot Happy Life (fka Joe Time).

Penned by Bill Wrubel (Modern Family), the project follows a family man (Wings‘ Steven Weber) who struggles with the fact that everyone around him is pursuing their dreams and enjoying their lives more than he is.

Driver will play Weber’s TV wife. The role is technically “second position” to her About a Boy commitment, on the off chance the NBC “bubble” comedy gets renewed. As the actress herself explained on Twitter:

1. CBWBDK1 says:

That doesn’t bode well. I still hope about a boy doesn’t get cancelled.

2. Tran says:

This casting news may not bode well for About a Boy’s chances.

3. SJ says:

About a Boy has been dead since it first hit a 0.9 rating. The final nail in the coffin was the shortening of its episode order. What then sank that coffin into the ocean was the fact that NBC didn’t even air all of the produced episodes. Anyone who thinks this show still has a prayer either doesn’t know a thing about how network TV works or is very, very delusional.

4. Gwen says:

About a Boy = About to be cancelled! This show is dead and has awful ratings.

5. Ari says:

I love About a Boy, it’s the only comedy I watch on NBC now that Parks has departed. I’m hoping it comes back but I’m glad she’s found work if it doesn’t.

6. Runaway Sleigh says:

While I’m not happy that “About a Boy” is close to cancellation… I do have to admit that something changed between Seasons 1 and 2.

The whole Teacher/Fiona relationship was just forced.
    The “Will is Broke” Storyline has no impact and goes nowhere.

The Marcus Gets a Girlfriend plot line though seems to have worked somewhat.

Just sad things couldn’t maintain and grow for this show.

• Marilyn says:

Agree. Also, the network moved this show around so much, i couldn’t always find it. I also thought the best friend thing didn’t work; they didn’t have to make Will’s best friend quite so weird and quirky. Yes, should have kept Will wealthy. Think the writers didn’t know where to go with this. It co’ve turned out more like a Mom series, with depthy topics at times. It also seemed to make Will lamer and lamer. But the first year I loved the series, except for the best friend part. Didn’t fit then either.

7. Kyle says:

Eh, I liked Season 1 better. Season 2 is just boring.

8. The season one cliffhanger ending of Will moving away sort of ruined season two. It took a while for the series to get its rhythm back after it returned in the fall. Minnie Driver is terrific in anything and I’d watch a new series with her if it comes to that.