Fox Lands House Creator's Spooky Crime Series Houdini and Doyle

Fox

Fox is exploring an unlikely pair of BFFs: Harry Houdini and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The network has bought, and sent straight to series, the 10-episode supernatural crime drama Houdini and Doyle. The project is inspired by the real-life friendship between the illusionist and the author famous for bringing life to Sherlock Holmes, our sister site Deadline reports.

In the series — from writers David Titcher (The Librarians) and David Hoselton (House) and executive producer David Shore (creator of the Sherlock-esque House) — Houdini (who believes in nothing) and Doyle (who believes in everything) grudgingly team up to investigate supernaturally tinged crimes.

Houdini and Doyle will also air on U.K.’s ITV and Canada’s Shaw Media.

1. Luis says:

There’s a 90% chance it will be idiotic, thought I will give the idea a chance based on the fact that they at least did have a real life acquaintance

2. Barry says:

Hugh Laurie should play Doyle. He could use his real accent which sounds nothing like his House character. Plus he is such a great actor it would be great to see him again in a TV series.

3. Brian Seiler says:

They…uh…they know that that friendship didn’t really end on the best of terms, right? What with the lawsuits and the hurt feelings and the utterly ludicrous seance from Lady Doyle and the posthumous accusations from Artie there that Houdini was a wizard who just wanted to trick people into thinking he was normal? I’m guessing we’re not getting anything even approaching the actual history here. Oh well – maybe it’ll be cool in a couple centuries when I’m just a head in a jar to watch the inevitable brain-o-vision show about Nas and Jay-Z solving music crimes from their flying rapmobile.

• You did see the part that it was a “supernatural” drama, right? Of course it won’t be anything like their real life. Nicola Tesla also didn’t help save supernatural creatures a la Sanctuary nor did he build communication devices for Warehouse 13. But ’cause it will be supernatural stuff, Houdini can actually be a wizard, which would make Conan’s accusation true.

4. Ray says:

This is going to be like a live action 19th century Scoobie Doo. I can already feel the lameness permeating from this project.

5. Tahina says:

Hmm, after David Shore slaughtered House finale, no thank you.

• I can speak only for myself but I loved the House finale. One of the best finales I’ve ever seen. So, if Houdini and Doyle’s story will be anything like House and Wilson’s, I’ll be very happy with it.

• Barry says:

I liked the House finale, too. I did feel bad Wilson was going to die, but the fact he and House got to ride off in the sunset was a nice touch.

• maria says:

The final episode was okay…but the entire final season, as a whole, was pretty bad. So no way will I watch another David Shore creation.

6. Ed says:

let’s have it star Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leanard (or Steven Fry)

7. I rran across this specific property and presumed you would possibly like it!

8. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

What happened to the Edgar Allen Poe tv series? I really liked the idea of that.

9. Sheila says:

Sounds intersting, but not sure about it as a Fox property.

10. azu says:

Since fox cancelled Almost Human and destroyed the interesting part of sleepy hollow, I have very little faith in them

11. Eric says:

Oh great, because we need ANOTHER procedural crime show. The characters of Houdini and Doyle could be interesting, but the fact that it will most likely end up being a case of the week show makes me not want to watch. Writers/creators/networks always bring interesting concepts to the table, but ruin them by turning the entire show into a procedural/case of the week. Case in point: Stalker. That show could have been pretty cool, but of course it ended up being a procedural. I understand that networks need a variety and that they need to put things on the air that will satisfy every viewer, but enough is enough with the procedural series. I feel like that is 95% of broadcast TV at this point.

12. Juli says:

David Shore is really a one-trick pony.

13. javadude54 says:

“Doyle (who believes in everything)” cracks me up because it was so true. He never met a spiritualist or little girl who had fake photos of fairies that he didn’t believe without a second thought. He was the anti-Sherlock Holmes.

14. The show is GREAT watch it in ITV pray for a season 2