Exclusive

American Idol: Movie Night Song Spoilers Revealed!

Against all odds, there will be no Phil Collins ballad — or any soundtrack cuts from The Bodyguard, Frozen, Titanic and Armageddon — when the American Idol Top 10 (plus one contestant on the brink of elimination) tackle “Songs from the Movies tonight (8/7c on Fox).

That’s good news for Idoloonies who’ve vowed to crawl into their dryers and turn to lint at the sound of one more hopeful belting the umpteenth rendition of “I Have Nothing.”

More important than what the Top 10 won’t tackle, however, is what they will — and TVLine’s got your exclusive first look at the set list!

Adanna Duru – Jennifer Hudson’s “Love You I Do” (Dreamgirls)
Clark Beckham – Maroon 5’s “Sunday Morning” (Cheaper by the Dozen 2)
Daniel Seavey – Adam Levine’s “Lost Stars” (Begin Again)
Jax – Adam Sandler’s “Grow Old With You” (The Wedding Singer)
Joey Cook – Michael Andrews and Gary Jules cover of “Mad World” (Donnie Darko)
Maddie Walker – Deniece Williams’ “Let’s Hear It for the Boy” (Footloose)
Nick Fradiani – Kenny Loggins’ “Danger Zone” (Top Gun)
Qaasim Middleton – The Beatles’ “Come Together” (Across the Universe)
Quentin Alexander – John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John’s “You’re the One That I Want” (Grease)
Rayvon Owen – The Bee Gees’ “Stayin’ Alive” (Saturday Night Fever)
Tyanna Jones – Elton John’s “Circle of Life” (The Lion King)

Any of these picks strike you as pure genius? Who’s on a highway to the danger zone? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. webly3 says:

Why does American Idol pick the worst themes for each week?

• Smokey says:

Plus the Band will only have a small universe of songs they know or can learn in a short time. So this does little to help them “define themselves as an Artist”…. But then, that’s the Idol story and they’re stickin’ to it. ……………………

..I saw somewhere this week that Joey’s rendition of “Fancy” she sang last week – got a lot of cover, replays on social media. Joey has an album or two out previous to Idol, Several of the Idols this year have made some moves in Music pre-Idol..

2. gdv says:

I spot several potential disasters in that list. Definitely watching tonight.

3. ChellemaBelle says:

I really love Joey’s take on things, but probably would not have picked the ONE song that elicited a standing ovation from Simon Cowell (Adam Lambert’s cover of Mad World). Some songs should be retired like a jersey.

• Timmah says:

Yes, and Jessica Sanchez nailed Love You I Do. No one’s going to perform it better on this show. And of course Circle of Life is going to invite the inevitable Zoanette comparisons :).

• ali427 says:

Yes. Same for Jennifer Hudson’s “Circle of Life.”

4. Annie says:

“Mad World”???? He’s just setting himself up for Lambert comparisons, that was a bad move

5. Kaba says:

Quentin could do really well with his song.
    Daniel..no
    Qaasim, hell no.
    Finally Clark is in the 2000’s

6. Kristi says:

I find it hard to believe these are the real songs.

7. Viv says:

Not happy about the Lost Stars choice… it´s one of my favourite songs. Love the song. Love the movie.
    And: Circle of Life: cool.

8. just_jenni says:

Potential disasters: Qaasim, Daniel, and why did Tyanna pick such an overdone, mundane song to bore us with? But I’m excited by Joey’s choice, also Adanna’s.

• Adrian says:

How can you talk about Tyanna doing an overdone song Yet praise Joey for pretty much doing the same with Mad World?

• Holly says:

It won’t be the same, and it’s not overdone! Circle of Life is so tired and has been done about a million times on Idol. Someone needs to help Tyanna make better choices.

9. B.T. says:

Daniel’s Lost Stars (or as he’ll sing it “Lah Stah”) should be a riot. And even though it’s movie night, I hope Tyanna goes with the Broadway version of Circle of Life.

10. Alexander Jeffrey Aerni says:

I keep hoping to hear something by my favorite artist, Elvis Costello, in this case maybe “She” from the Notting Hill soundtrack since it’s movie week.

11. Brittany says:

My ears just hurt thinking about Daniel, Qaasim and Quentin’s picks. Tyanna’s should be interesting and I’m super excited to hear Nick with Danger Zone.

12. Dax says:

I’m not big fan of “quirky” so just tolerate Joey. Waiting to see how she does with Mad World since in my mind it will always be Adam’s.

13. nodekirk says:

Come Together has never disappointed me on Idol – which I think says something more about the song than anything else. But oh, the mid-tempo choices – why? Why?? WHY????

14. connerc says:

Not Come Together again!

• MAB says:

Every season someone sings “Come Together” and I am really not fond of that song.

• Betsy says:

Every. Effing. Season. Just stop please.

• Every Effing season we hear all of these same songs. There are literally thousands of good movie songs. Joey should do “Tom’s Diner” by Susan Vega. The movie a Walk Among The Tombstones with( Liam Neeson and ASTRO) x factor has the coolest version of Soundgardens (Chris Cornell) Black Hole Sun done by a woman and slowed down. I just love it! There are sooo many good Movie songs that have never been done on this show! The series show “Stalker” had a slow version of” I want you to Want me” by Cheap Trick” also done in a slower version. It was beautiful!

• That version of Cheap Tricks I Want You to Want me is done by Gary Jules. I looked it up and he also does a version of Mad World. Never heard of this guy, but the slow version of the cheap trick song is just beautiful! WoW

• Ok Stupid me! Gary Jules is the guy who did the cool cover of Mad World, the same one every singer is trying to emulate.

• There is a cool version of “Your the One That I want” by Lo Fang” from the stalker series too! Really slow and hypnotizing. I wonder if thats the one we will hear tonight. These songs have all been in movies also besides this series “Stalker”.

15. flutiefan says:

TVLine always complains about Against All Odds being overused, but I honestly can’t remember who did it nor do I recall a lot of people doing it. What’s up with that?

And who has done “I Have Nothing”?

The one I agree that’s way overdone is Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing.

16. cpod says:

There’s a version of “You’re the One That I Want” by the Civil Wars that’s really good. It’s slowed down and a ballad. I bet you that’s the version Quentin’s doing.

17. Hayder B. Hayden says:

I expect at least three epic fails tonight. Qaasim…no, just no. Quentin: why? Max– seriously?

18. Epazote says:

LOL. THESE SONGS.

popcorn.gif

19. Krystal says:

hi am Krystal Bousnakis
    I love see nick to win the show just like pihp pihp to and Scott he need win nick I am keep give 20 so he can win

20. Nina says:

I don’t know about the Lion King song, but Tyanna is amazing so she will do great

21. SueBee says:

does anyone know if american idol was on last night? i usually tape it but there was no show when I went to watch it :(

22. Betsy says:

Interesting. Mostly looking forward to whatever Joey does.

23. Craig says:

– Are Nick and Rayvon serious with their horrid song choice? lmao. Either way, I’m not big on either (Zzzzz for both typically) so I wouldn’t mind them putting a final nail in their coffin.
    – Adanna picking a rangey song? Big mistake I think. Her voice tends to crack all over the place whenever she attempts to belt it loud.
    – Maddie… lol… you’ve got to be kidding me. That has pageant cheese written all over it.
    – Qaasim’s sounds like a nightmare. but he’s smart to pick a song that requires next to no range whatsoever. So sick of that dumb OVERPLAYED song so there is no way I’ll like this.
    – Tyanna is going to Zoanette territory. That worries me, especially since Zoanette’s was so memorable.
    – Looking forward to the spins Quentin and Joey put on those songs. MAYBE Jax too if she doesn’t screw it up again for the third week in a row.
    – Clark should do well with that.
    – There’s no hope for Daniel regardless of song choice. Maybe he won’t even get to sing tonight. lol

24. James Albert says:

Quentin’s choice scared the @#*& outta me until I listened to Angus and Julia Stone’s version. If he does a version similar to this version he may pull off another “idol moment.” I love to see what he comes up so I can’t wait.

As for Joey, again it will be interesting to see how she interprets the song. Even with the Tears for Fears version, I just can’t imagine it – which means of course I’ll have the best seat in the t.v. room all staked out tonight!

25. Runner says:

Is this a joke?

26. CK says:

I want to be pleasantly surprised, but everyone besides Clark and arguably Adanna and Tyanna seem to be setting themselves up to fail hard. This is a terrible theme.

27. Carrie says:

Super keen to hear what Tyanna does with Circle of Life – she’s done brilliantly with her uptempo song choices so far and this song can really be belted and stylistically very different to what she has done so far – yet she has proven to be wise beyond her years and has pretty perfect pitch and a real ease with her voice, so I’m hoping she slays it, guessing its a favorite of hers. I know “Come Together” has been done before but it is so very Qaasim, I forgive him for not tracking song choices like us Idoloonies. Rooting for those two!

28. Laura Curtis says:

I am a Tyanna Jones fan. She is by far the best singer this season. I have been rooting for this 16 year old power house since I first heard her sing. I love Circle of Life and I look forward to hearing her sing a ballad. Go Tyanna !!!

29. SCS says:

It’s really all about Tyanna…she is the destined star.
    She’ll do great with Circle of Life.
    The rest are really poor choices…I see a lot of missed opportunities.

30. Hi says:

Anyone noticed that there is no Maddie in the photo. Is that a spoiler alert?

31. Emily says:

The one that makes me wince is Maddie’s choice. She needs to pick something… less mediocre each week.

32. Lilli Powers says:

Tonight’s show is horrible. Bad song selections. Really disappointed.

33. klara says:

Joey cook is the birds words like omg, Ariana grande is awesome and JLO’s dress is soooo cute #jlo’swhitedress

34. klara says:

Joey is awesome I love pie!!?

35. klara says:

I think Klara should win because she is pretty good at singing and she has great movie idea’s p.s I’m klare

36. merrill says:

I don’t watch American Idol ever! I just caught a young man singing a grease song and it reminded me of the one and only Prince! Quentin has a future! Coming from the “D”!

37. Veronica One says:

Ouch!

38. barbara says:

Movie week song choices suck…boring.

39. Shane says:

This is the worst season for actual talent.
    The judges save tonigt was a joke and wasted on zero talent.
    As stated by Simon mutiple times in the past as well as other judges this show is about singing talent and not about being a showman.
    This was a terrible night and the show is on the way out.

40. Ginger Snap says:

Can’t say that I am excited about any of these songs.

41. kevstar says:

The Voice not only has better singers, they have better songs, too. You’d think with so many songs from movies to choose fun, they’d choose better. Well, at least nobody is singing that boring sun from Once.

42. Pozwoli to na dodatkową ochronę w postaci tkaniny
    odbijającej promienie słoneczne, nie tylko w mieście, ale
    także na plaży czy w wakacyjnym kurorcie.

43. @nna89 says:

Daniel??? Seriously? That song last night showed that is not talent there!
    Love Joey and Clark! !!

44. Dude says:

Really someone should have done Young and Beauitful from Great Gatsby. Though I feel like it’s kind of cheating to choose songs from a movie like Across the Universe which is just The Beatles catalogue. They should exclude movies like that along with Mamma Mia, Jersey Boys, Rock of Ages…

45. E.J. says:

Tyanna Jones is on her way…her movie song felt more challenging for her, but her unforgettable performances, particularly her rendition of “Tightrope” have made her a real threat because she is the REAL thing. Joey is gathering strength and advancing. Jax is the antithesis of REAL…if mentors can control her “look at me” narcissistic-dramatic tics and convince her she can come out from behind the glittery faux tatoo on her face, help her find a song she doesn’t have to “rip off from say “Across the Universe,” she might find she has some talent. JLO told Tyanna to just keep being herself–one of the best pieces of advice this season.

46. lorretta says:

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too.
    This sort of clever work and coverage! Keep up the very
    good works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my own blogroll.