Sleepy Hollow Snags Season 3 Renewal — and a New Showrunner

Fox Fall Schedule 2015

Sleepy Hollow has a new head — and, more importantly, a future.

Fox on Wednesday renewed the history-twisting drama for an 18-episode third season after closing a deal with The Glades‘ Clifton Campbell to take over as showrunner.

Campbell replaces Mark Goffman, who stepped down earlier this month in the wake of Sleepy‘s rocky second season, which saw ratings slide 40 percent versus Season 1.

Before creating A&E’s The Glades, Clifton had exec-producer stints White Collar, Profiler and SeaQuest 2032.

“I had the pleasure of working with Clifton on both The Glades and White Collar,” noted Fox president David Madden in a statement. “He is an excellent producer, and we can’t wait to see what this team has in store for Season 3.”

Per Fox, Season 3 will explore the evolving partnership between Crane and Mills after the pair scored a decisive victory over evil in the Season 2 finale.

In addition, TVLine has learned that the series will move production from Wilmington, N.C., where it shot Seasons 1 and 2, to Atlanta.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Ray says:

However, I think 18 episodes is too much for SH. It waters down the narrative and character arcs in a most unfavorable way

2. KC says:

Yea! One of my favorites…glad it got 18 more episodes!

3. Drew says:

18 episodes… I was really hoping that they would keep it shorter than that. I guess we’ll have to see how the writing goes though. The big problem is that Moloch is defeated, the headless horseman was neutered and we’ve been left with random supernatural bad guys with no real endgame anymore… is the apocalypse even still happening? The new season will have to get the show back on track with a definite arc. They should map out the rest of the seven years that we’re supposed to be dealing with, at least in broad strokes, so they know where they’re going. The show had a specific storyline and a specific timeline when it started. They should have stuck to that.

• LF says:

Just be happy that it wasn’t zero episodes. Take it. Hopefully, the new show runner will help and the network backs and promotes the series.

• Rachel says:

Lol seriously. I’m so grateful for any amount of episodes.

• Drew says:

An 18 episode bad season could be worse than a 0 episode season.

• murley says:

Well in fairness a bad season is relatively subjective and you can always not watch which would make it zero to you.

• Drew says:

That has to be one of the most annoying, yet surprisingly recurring responses to any discussion on this site.
            People have opinions about the shows they watch. Why they watch those shows or whether they should bother isn’t anyone else’s concern. Just respond to the comments about the show if you must, but nobody is looking for a life coach on this site.

• Lea says:

They could do what Teen Wolf does, divide the seasons in two and give us a major story arc that are distinct but are in line with the shows central theme. Explore the themes, myths and history and that shouldn’t be heard. Since 18 is what they went for but I personally think 12 is enough for the show. Less is more, I wish Fox knew the meaning of that.

• Lizo says:

Oh that’s a good idea. Do two 9 episode “seasons”, that way they are sharp, clear stories…but that blend into each other.

• Me says:

They tried. The new network heads at FOX nixed their entire arc, though.
      Old head: S1, Left them alone to tell their story.
      New Heads: S2, Stuck their fingers in everything. Made them reshoot. Made them rewrite.
      Season 2 is what you get when the suits meddle in the business of the creative team.

• TraciWells says:

They will try to do the same w empire season 2. Sleepy was a monster hit in season 1. Should just leave creativity to the creatives. Will never forgive when fox meddled n killed in living color. Also, get sleepy away from scorpion. Geeks/nerds rule on tv

• wild_child says:

incorrect, Fox execs had no choice but to step in once they realized how far off the rails Goffman had taken the story. The strongest episodes of the season were the last 3 and that was a result of the Fox execs stepping in and making Goffman make the necessary changes after they received so much backlash from fans. I’m not normally a fan of execs but it is their interference that salvaged the remainder of the season. Were it not for them we’d still be subjected to Katrina.

• I believe the writing team changed from season 1 to 2 which was part of the problem.

• Moloch isn’t the only demon or the only dark force. There is always something willing to take Moloch’s place. So, I don’t have a problem with that particular bad guy being banished. I wish they would fix the headless situation though. But, they could bring in another horseman. Agree, they could map out the next seven years. There are so many things they could delve into like the Seven deadly sins (things they have to go through to survive as witnesses).

• murley says:

Personally I am glad to see the end of molloch. He just never felt sinister enough. It was way too much of everyone talking about Molloch and how bad he was with very little of him actually being around and doing anything. I would like to see more about the horsemen and maybe a more complex web of threats versus one big bad and his underlings.

• Angela says:

I LOVE the idea of them taking on the seven deadly sins. That would be awesome.

• MelindaB says:

The first season was a crackerjack that left me with a dropped jaw pretty much every week. The second was bogged down by Katrina and her non-witchiness, even though we were told constantly how powerful of a witch she was; Headless/Abraham mooning over Katrina and subsequently being mostly de-fanged; and Henry/Jeremy’s petulant “getting back at Mommy and Daddy” machinations, turning him into less of a Horseman of War and more of a Horseman of Evil Temper Tantrums. Bringing Katrina into the season might possibly have worked, if everything hadn’t focused on her. The second season should have led to revealing one or both of the other Horsemen. Hawley wasn’t a complete waste of time, and yet he could have been better utilized. There was too much “monster of the week”, IMO.

• opheliablack says:

I thought the same thing, once the dust settled. How can they still be Witnesses if Moloch is dead? What are they fighting against? Where did everybody go- just wandered out into the woods?

4. Dmac says:

Such great news, this show could not be in better hands!

• Lizo says:

Shonda Rimes, Joss Whedon, Lizzy Weisz, Julie Pleck, Rob Doherty, etc. I don’t necessarily have a problem with Campbell, I’ve just never been bowled over by his work.

• Maggie_May says:

Most of those guys–and ladies– are already busy…

• tp says:

Julie Plec?! As in The Vampire Diaries? The same woman who said that VD was all about Stefan and Elena then changed it? Nope. Wouldn’t want her anywhere near Sleepy Hollow.

• Ashley says:

I agree that Plec is not a good fit for Sleepy Hollow, but I have no sympathy for people that thought statements made during TVD S1 (that always came with a qualifer) applied to the whole of the series. EPs don’t talk about seasons down the line during Season 1. The entire premise of the show was a major love triangle between one girl and two brothers.You can’t sign up for that premise and get mad when the other side of the triangle inevitably happens…it always does.

• I hate what Shonda did to Scandal. The first two seasons were badass and then the characters and writing lost their depth. Liv was turned into a glorified ho and was so weak. I couldn’t even watch that crap anymore. It was just crazy crap thrown out there just to be crazy (total plot points). There was no one to even root for. She totally lost me and I stopped watching.

5. sandy says:

yay awesome news!!!

6. Tammy says:

So very happy Sleepy Hollow is on for season three!!!!

7. Liza says:

Terrific news!!!

8. A says:

happy dat it was renewd but dey shd hav stuck wid 13 epi, dat way we wud get only 1 or 2 filler epi now m waitin for mindy project & the middle’s renewal.

9. Steven says:

Awesome. Let’s all just pretend season 2 was a horrible fever dream and move on.

• Ray says:

But that would mean Henry and flip flopping Katrina are still alive and kicking

• Steven says:

I liked Katrina and Henry in the First Season. If they were given a better purpose I think the show would have benefited from having them around.

• Jean says:

Agree. Katrina was supposed to be a kick ass witch and part of the team, the ichabbies and the horrendous treatment by the writers destroyed that vision. Season 3 could be a great way to make the vision a reality.

• sam says:

The ichabbies? Stay delusional if that makes you happy.

• Emma S says:

Blame Mark Goffman.. the fans had nothing to do with the treatment that Katrina got. If anything, Abbie was sidelined during the entire season..and even when Katrina had the spotlight..they never showed that she had any powers, they never showed her badass side…..UNTIL THE VERY END. Completely mismanaged and wasted potential. Katrina should have been evil from the get go..and it would have made for a hotter relationship between her and Ichabod.. because the sexual tension would have been that much greater… a wife who used to be good turned by purgatory/Moloch or whatever..showing her powers..and knowing he still had feelings for her, but couldn’t act upon them, because she had changed. She would have been much more interesting..and I’d certainly root for her. But, that’s not what Goffman wrote… Katia Winters was understandably upset…. They also screwed up John Noble’s Character, Abbie’s character, Crane’s character..all of it. It wasn’t the shippers fault for this one. That’s why Fox got rid of Goffman.

• Ashley says:

Seriously? Have your read the general response to her character? The media, the fans…the huge majority disliked the Katrina character & didn’t respond to her. It wasn’t a shipper thing. She was a poorly written, one dimensional character to begin with, and then was given way too much presence int the 2nd season, despite the fact that she was the least popular aspect of the show.

• You know what, I only started hating Katrina, when they had Crane bust her out of purgatory, leaving Abbie there because she was supposed to get rid of the 2nd horseman, and all she could do was levitate a tiny twig. It wasn’t even worth it to bring her butt to the present century. She was worthless. If they had made her kickass from the get go, people wouldn’t have had a problem. But instead, they separated Abbie and Crane for the family drama and tried to push Katrina/Crane who had no chem. With the right writers, Katrina could have been epic but they were so focused on the whole Henry is Jeremy crap and making him hate Crane which made no freaking sense. Okay, I can understand Katrina hate but Crane didn’t even know he existed. They made Katrina pathetic and expected us to swoon and pat them on the back.

• MeJ says:

Gas leak season!

• Drew says:

My idea: Season 2 was Abbey’s adventure in Purgatory. None of the “real world” stuff that happened in season 2 was real. It was just Moloch trying to manipulate Abbey for some reason.
      Yeah, that means that Henry and Katrina are still alive, but I’m sure they can be worked with somehow.

10. Babybop says:

11. kirads09 says:

Yay. Just hope they don’t get too bogged down in the “ship” between Abs and Ichi. What I mean keep the MAIN premise of the show focused on team witness fighting supernatural evil.

12. wild_child says:

This is great news. Goffman is out and a renewal. Great news all around. Now, let’s get this show back on track!!

13. kath says:

Good. The show deserves another chance now that Katrina and Henry are gone at last.

14. LF says:

YAY!!!!! NOW if the NETWORK would PROMOTE THE SHOW TOO, that would be great!. The network seemed to throw everything behind promoting Gotham. Left Sleepy Hollow to die. Caveat…the middle of the season of SH did lack.

15. Michael Bowman says:

Seaquest DSV was good until they made all of those drastic changes and it becoming Seaquest 2032.

16. aurat22 says:

Glad it got renewal and a good show runner. Just don’t leave Sleepy on a Cliff(ha ha) at the end of Season 3 in case season 4 doesn’t happen. Still mad about that happening with the Glades.

17. kmw says:

Well well This should be good news for Sleepy Hollow fans. Reduced episodes will help. So much for Bones getting renewed before it. I guess Bones fans are going to have wait until May

18. Matt C. says:

YAY! This made my day! I would have been devastated if they left things the way they did in the season 2 finale. It was the perfect segway into a new season with new stories to tell!

19. Larc says:

Great news!!!

20. Buttercup says:

Yay! I love Sleepy Hollow. It’s one of the best shows on TV. Looking forward to a third season!

21. Sierra says:

This is the best news I’ve had all week!

22. Gerald says:

Sounds good to me. Glad Fox is giving Sleepy Hollow a chance to redeem itself.

23. Susannah says:

So happy for Sleepy Hollow fans! Can I stop tweeting now?;)
    Really excited, it’s one of my favorite shows and now with the slate wiped clean, season 3 can be everything season 2 wasn’t. Can’t wait to see the new direction of SH this fall.

24. The_Kaibosh says:

With the new EP from the Glades taking over, will Season Three Episode 18 of Sleepy Hollow end on a cliffhanger too regardless of whether or he knows if the show has been renewed?

• Andrea says:

I don’t watch Sleepy Hollow, but that was my first thought as well, The_Kaibosh. Congrats to the SH fans on its renewal.

25. GhostWolf says:

Good news. Hopefully the new showrunner will not muck up the show (season 2 was subpar to season 1 and lost too much of its appeal with its scattered episodes).

26. APFW says:

YES, YES more crazy is on the way. Yeah to the fighting quartet!

27. Boiler says:

If Fox was smart they would pick up Perception

28. JimC says:

Very good news indeed.

29. Lysh says:

Now I wonder if they’ll supernaturally try to keep Katrina and Henry, or if they’re really truly gone. I’m glad they’re giving this show another chance. Hopefully this new EP can steer it back to what it was.

30. herman1959 says:

31. Jared says:

Season 2 was horrible. I stopped watching a couple episodes in which is ashame because I loved S1.

32. Remy says:

WooHoo!!! I’ve been stressing over this! I was not going to be ok if the season finale was the end. Hopefully, they can kept the momentum created in that episode going.

33. suzi says:

I am so happy to hear this, and SO happy that all the people who were positive the show was finished were wrong.

34. azu says:

Nonsense. should have been cancelled

• Debbie Abbott says:

So don’t watch. Why comment with bad attitude?

• azu says:

Why? Because I’m entitled to my opinion especially about shows that pander to fan ‘ships’. I loved d show in season 1 until they fell under the cliche and immature spell of promoting icchabbie which eventually led to the hatred and destruction of a character like Katrina who most fans saw as a threat to their favourite ship. Pandering of the highest order

• suzi says:

It seemed to me that the fans kept pushing Abbie and Crane, not the show itself, and that certainly impacted all the negativity towards Katrina. I did not hate her character as many fans, but I saw the potential for evil from the beginning–even in the opening credits–and I think her story was over.
          However, just because You didn’t like the what was happening doesn’t mean the show should have cancelled.

• Emma S says:

No..what impacted the feelings toward Katrina was the main characters were sidelined and Katrina was so poorly constructed and written, there could be no love for her. Even the actress who played Katrina said as much. The writers were at fault. Period.

• Ashley says:

How was the ship pandered to during Season 2? Katrina was a poorly written, one dimensional character from the start. That’s why people didn’t respond to her. You had to have seen the articles criticizing her character..this wasn’t a shipper thing. It was widespread opinion. A poorly written character is a poorly written character. And giving her way too much spotlight to the detriment of main characters is not going to engage fans. Since so much of Season 2 was about pushing the Crane drama, and the ratings took a dive b/c of it, it’s only natural that the least popular aspect had to be fixed.

35. Lizo says:

Yay! That’s great news! I actually didn’t *hate* season two….but it definitely wasn’t as good as 1.

36. Angela says:

Pleasantly surprised by this news! I haven’t seen any of the other shows that the new showrunner worked on, but I’m interested to see what he’ll do with this show. Here’s hoping he’ll fit in well and make the show work.
    Good to know the show’s getting another season/chance :). I look forward to its return!

37. Chol H Yoon says:

Great news, hopefully they can keep it more focused next season. Season 2 meandered a little bit in the end.

38. anto33 says:

So relieved….i was almost certain it will be cancelled.

39. dj says:

I never thought it would be renewed.

40. justsomeguy says:

Happy for the renewal, but a little disappointed Henry Parish is dead. Seriously, John Noble is one of the greatest actors I’ve ever seen, and I had hoped he’d be used throughout the life of the series, as friend or foe, either one works for me. Maybe he can reappear through flashbacks.

• rarefied says:

So annoying that they couldn’t figure out an effective way to use him.

• Emma S says:

His character was misused and poorly written. They should have kept him as a sin eater instead of turning him into a Horseman of War….and Ichabod’s son.

41. Aly D says:

Praise the baby Jesus!!!

42. Yayyy!!! I love this show. So happy about this!

43. Amy says:

Oh thank goodness!

44. Ron says:

OMG. OMG. OMG. Best news of the day!!! While I think 18 episodes is a bit much–I think that was part of the problem of season 2–I’m just happy for any new episodes.

45. Deion says:

Let’s hope Fox keeps it at 18 episodes so the writers can properly plan an arc and fill the hours with quality stories.