The Voice Battle Rounds Recap: Kid, Rock!

This is how The Voice Season 8 Battle Rounds end — not with a bang, but three performances draaaagggggggged out over the course of a one-hour telecast.

It says a lot about young Sawyer Fredericks, then, that my pulse is still racing despite the episode’s sluggish pacing. This self-possessed 15-year-old with Pantene-commercial tresses and a very distinctive tone seems almost guaranteed to be a part of the competition well into spring — with only a truly terrible (aka “unique”) arrangement from Coach Pharrell capable of knocking him off his path to greatness.

As for the other two Tuesday-night Battles? They proved as unsurprising as the contents of Blake’s cup or Pharrell’s penchant for chapeaus — not that there’s anything especially wrong about either of the above.

Before I inadvertently insult a hard-working coach, let me get to ranking tonight’s Battles from least- to most-promising winner:

3. TEAM XTINA: Rob Taylor defeats Jeremy Gaynor on Maroon 5’s “Animals” | My favorite part of this showdown? Xtina riffing on Adam Levine’s melody line during rehearsals. And while I respected the freshly energized coach’s efforts to push these fellas outside their comfort zones, the end result was a little ho-hum. Jeremy’s physicality on stage seemed to mess with his pitch, while Rob’s high notes came off as slightly unpleasant — despite their accuracy.

2. TEAM BLAKE: Corey Kent White defeats Jacob Rummell on Hunter Hayes’ “I Want Crazy” (Jacob stolen by Pharrell) | I’m not gonna lie: I found this Battle to be something of a draw. Jacob took more intriguing liberties with the melody, to be sure, but his emotional investment in the lyrics never went past surface level. Squinty McHunkyface, meanwhile, played it more straightforward country — but I’m not sure I came away with any sense of his artistry. For a minute, I got excited that Blake might choose the poppier of his two contestants — opening up Corey for a fascinating Pharrell steal. But, I mean, on a show that show flat-out spoils its Steals prior to commercial breaks, I’m not sure why I was expecting the unexpected.

1. TEAM PHARRELL: Sawyer Fredericks defeats Noelle Bybee on CCR’s “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” | Noelle’s Quilted Northern delicacy was easy on the ears — but her tone went a little haywire whenever she stretched beyond her limited range. When Sawyer crushed it with his harmonies and made the classic-rock jam sound as fresh and new as a magnolia bud in late March, Pharrell had no choice but to go with his four-chair turn. I seriously can’t wait for the kid to get pushed (just a tiny bit) outside his classic rock/folk comfort zone.

With that said, I turn things over to you.

What did you think of Night 4 of the Season 8 Battle Rounds? Who was your fave? Did the coaches get it right? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

1. Jobless says:

That last battle was hilarious to watch because of how much of a farce it was. We all knew who was “winning”. It didn’t matter how much better Jacob was than Corey. Blake made up his mind on that one as soon as he paired them together.

• LADY_in_MD says:

Totally agree with you when he put his head in his hands i rolled my eyes totally playing the camera when everyone knew what was coming

• Gailer says:

I feel there’s been a couple conspiracy steals this season, this was one if them! Didn’t notice them before on the voice. Is this new?

• HTGR says:

Yeah, totally. I’m in with their was probably a lotta behind the scenes talking about potential steals (not that that is necessarily a bad thing though since it might lead to less wasted steals).

• Normandy says:

In season 4, there was some speculation that Blake had set up Caroline Glaser to be stolen by Adam. Hell, in an interview someone flat out asked Caroline about it and she thought it was possible.

There are also people speculating that Craig Wayne Boyd to Gwen for a makeover and then back to Blake was staged.

• Angie_Overrated says:

If that’s the case, then the coach who should be credited for CWB’s win should be Gwen, not Blake. The makeover is what won him the title.

• Jenks says:

I totally agree with this. Everything about the CWB makeover show, including his openness to changing his look, made me sit up and take notice of him. I ended up loving his voice and performances, but I have to confess, his new hotness is what made me notice him. If that makes me shallow, then so be it.

• Like A Boss says:

I Disagree

• Jon says:

If CWB’s win was indirectly due to his GS makeover, would you do the same to Sawyer Fredericks (and trim his lustrous blond locks)?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Like a boss, you’re entitled to your opinion even if we don’t agree.
            Jon, I don’t really care about Sawyer one way or the other, so I don’t have an answer to that one. Craig Wayne Boyd I thought was very talented but had no sex appeal until Gwen did her thang with him. Then he was talented WITH sex appeal. And I firmly believe that that’s what clinched the win for him.

• tvtjw says:

It’s hard to imagine the coaches “making over” Sawyer to increase sex appeal. Unlike CWB, Sawyer’s look is much a part of his personality and who he is. Then, there’s the fact that CWB was 34. No matter how fantastic an artist Sawyer is, it’s hard to see a fifteen year old boy as “sexy.”

• Funding Pro says:

So true Jobless.

• Well, first Jacob wasn’t better so that argument is a moot. And second, lots of times the battles are already predetermined, it isn’t about surprising people it’s about crafting your best team. Hopefully the duet goes well along the way. Sawyer and Noelle were by far more winner vs cannon fodder with everything canted towards Sawyer for me.

• TinLV says:

I disagree about Jacob. in my opinion, he had the better voice, but there wasn’t anything wrong with Corey’s voice either and the song was better suited to him. We all knew Blake was going to keep him no matter what he did anyway. I’m glad Pharrell stole Jacob, though. That kid belongs in the competition. This is “The Voice” after all, so the best voices ( not the prettiest people) should be there in the end.. Sawyer is another one with a great voice. Seems to be a really young group of great talent this year.

• Birdy says:

I think Jacob was better, and I bet Blake did, too, but he knew Pharrell would steal Jacob, so kept both his young’uns in the battle….

• Jill Moy says:

Corey was boring….Jacob was suoerior! The true crime was Jeremy leaving the show….RIDICULOUS! He had the pipes to win and he DID win his battle!

• JM says:

Jacob was far and away the better voice, AND he had better stage presense. Corey completely forgot what Meghan told him about not closing his eyes.

• Pasha says:

Jacob’s voice is pure, more suitable as a voice over for Disney’s movies. He reminds me a bit of a previous contestant, Shamuel, was her last name, I think.

• Tom22 says:

I wish they had scheduled that one when someone still had a save that they could use. It would have been more interesting and I liked that girl. Her voice and persona is so fresh but not a teeny bobby. I’m not sure that she would have been saved but I wouldn’t have minded seeing her one more week.
      I love that song and he had a tremendous way with it. If it were solo it might be on my “top performances ever list” for both idol and The Voice. (that’s a fairly long list after 14+7 seasons and near 3000 performances; I might have near 50 on that list which is only about 2% of performances).

• Tom22 says:

I’m talking about Sawyer Fredricks and “have you ever seen the rain”. BTW I looked him up on YouTube an most of his performances aren’t very high quality recordings and he was a few years younger. He had sung that song before and certainly had an extra edge with that but we all new he’s someone The Voice producers are counting on giving us great performances throughout the season.
        They probably wanted to finish the battlerounds with a really good performance. The adage “leave them wanting more” is why the “pimp spot” weakly always needs to be one of the things they see in rehearsal that has big promise.
        His voice has changed now and he’s got much more power than the YouTube videos. Daniel Creevey might have had the same growth in power if he had waited another year.

2. Sawyer is just a BEAST!!! :) Liked him, Corey, and Jacob!!! :)

3. Kaba says:

Can you put Koryn on the poll for those lovely 3 seconds of ‘Love Me Harder’ so I can vote for her instead?
    Tears…I wanted to hear her :(

4. Kaba says:

Jacob thoroughly beat Corey…but it’s stupid to think Blake had anyone other than CKW in mind for winning. Whatever.

5. Ami says:

Just noticed that Pharell has four of his original team members stolen …

6. forever054 says:

rumor has it Anthony Riley is out that’s why there is gonna be a three way knock out

7. Ana Andrade says:

They always montage the battles I want to see. Last week I wanted to to see Deanna Johnson sing Love Me Like You Do. This week I wanted to see Brooke Adee sing Style, one of my favorite Taylor Swift songs :(
    Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield is a song that I really like and wanted to see be done on the show and they montage it :(
    As forvthe battles shown:
    3. Jeremy should have won. I also hated the arrangement. I wonder what Adam really thought. They murdered Animals, and not in a good way.
    2. I think Corey sounded better but Jacob had better stage presence. I’m happy both made it through.
    1. Noelle and Sawyer sounded lovely and I’m glad Sawyer made it through.

• HTGR says:

+1 about the montages, I mean kip all that only to end up with a show with such a dragging feel to it? what were they thinking!

8. PatD says:

Holy smokes. I think I’ve already watched that Sawyer/Noelle duet like five times, and I never do that. The vocals weren’t the greatest, but more importantly there was something so pure and true in that performance, it actually made me a bit misty-eyed. Both of those kids totally understood their voices as a vehicle for the song. Usually, when singers are encouraged to work off one another on this show, it results in cringe-inducing, contrived mannerisms. But not with these two. They looked into each other’s eyes with such caring. Kudos to Adam for his very on-point remarks, and to Pharrell for keeping the production to a minimum. I really felt like that was the first “moment” I’ve seen on one of these shows in a long time, and if Michael and Melinda don’t spend some time talking about it on next week’s Reality Check… well, I just give up. Xtina was soooo right. You can’t teach what Sawyer has.

Also, quick side note: Blake takes a lot of bashing for his country bias, but I have to say, I am 100% with him on noting how perfect Noelle’s voice would be for country. I hope he helps her go ahead in the biz.

Please, please, please Pharrell, don’t spoil this for us all.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Could not agree more. I am obsessed with Sawyer but have thoroughly enjoyed this ultimately very touching duet too many times already. And I have only just begun.

• HTGR says:

It’s a darn shame she got left and setup to leave. Sawyer is voter catnip so couldn’t lose. And she was paired when no steals were left. bah.

• Vizay says:

I feel Sawyer is like a young John Denver. There is purity in his notes and in his spirit. That’s what made John Denver so popular in his day. Singers lined up to work with him. Even Sinatra himself did a duet with him. Everyone just wants to stand in your shadow when you’re that good. Does anyone else see the comparison?

• Birdy says:

Vizay, yes, come to think of it, he has a tonal quality much like John Denver’s–pure and with a dynamic range. Not many people probably think of JD as having had tremendous range, but he did (listen to “Readjustment Blues” if you don’t think so!). I think Sawyer is very much in the same vein–able to scale it back when called for, and belt it out when prudent. What a talent! I kept trying to think of who he most reminded me of, and it could be John Denver.

• Jon says:

I can see the John Denver comparison, but to me Sawyer is like a young Jim Croce mixed with James Taylor (and that’s high praise, IMO). And at 15! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a kid this young on The Voice with this much potential.

• Birdy says:

James Taylor was the first person I thought of, and I’m still on with that comparison, but I think his voice has more in common with John Denver’s. I get an Arlo Guthrie vibe from him as well. Totally agree with you on his potential. He is other-worldly.

• KP says:

I would love to see more duets from these two.

9. MA says:

Sawyer and Noelle were fantastic. I wish someone had stolen her.

10. Jill Moy says:

Oh well, 1 gone, two left. Jeremy deserved the steal from Pharrell! Jeremy should have moved on for sure! Just because one has that high sound doesn’t mean they are wonderful. Anytime anyone hits a high note in all rounds, the coaches are awed

11. jw says:

Sawyer is impressive, but I’m concerned that he won’t know what to do when they finally take that guitar away from him.

• I dont know if Pharrell will take the guitar from him. Pharrell agreed to let Sawyer stay in “his own lane” when he took him for his team. That is what won Sawyer over with Pharrell is that he said he wouldnt take him out of his style. Now I hope Pharrell sticks to that!

12. Angie_Overrated says:

I wasn’t as enamored with Sawyer as everyone else seems to be. He seems like a great kid, he’s very likeable, and he has a sweet inoffensive tone, but that performance was a black hole of charisma. Any energy that was in that studio has been forever absorbed into the abyss that was that performance. Just wasn’t feelin’ that one. :(
    On a positive note, I greatly enjoyed Jacob tonight. So cute and so earnest. And I love how gender ambiguous his voice is. He seriously sounds like a super deep woman, which is kind of cool!

• Timmah says:

I agree about Sawyer. He’s all right, but I don’t get all the fuss over him. I would have picked Noelle in that battle. As for the last battle, didn’t care for either one. No one really stood out for me tonight, though I would have liked to have seen more of the montaged battles.

• Rain says:

So happy to see other’s agree with me. I find Sawyer sooooo boring! I really liked Noelle’s voice in that song so much, sad to see her go.

• as says:

Angie, Sawyer gave himself over completely to a duet to accommodate the ‘delicate’ voice of his partner….he deserves more props for that and the judges said as much. I thought he was amazing.

• Birdy says:

He is fabulous. Period.

• Angie_Overrated says:

That may well be true, but as a duet performance it was pretty lacking in my estimation. I’m glad you liked it though.

• Birdy says:

I’ll grant you that the duet did not play to Sawyer’s forte. I’d have preferred another showcase for him. However, he did just as he was told, which shows that he’s not only talented but coachable. And that he doesn’t let his ego get in the way of what he’s instructed to do. Sawyer has, I think, a lot of range that he hasn’t shown yet. Last night he was restrained, which shows he can be. Unlike some of the singers on this season. Don’t you all get sick of these big-voiced singers who can’t seem to ever be subtle, or don’t seem to know how to sing at anything but all-out volume and/or intensity? (Hannah comes to mind, as do some of the other gals on the show–great voices, but “similar-note performances.”

• Angie_Overrated says:

We’re going to have to agree to disagree here, Bird, but I’m glad you liked him.

• JM says:

as, I agree. He even stated as much in the interview, saying that his voice is stronger but Noelle’s is more delicate. Pharrell basically told him he had to accomodate Noelle for the duet, and he did just that.

• Meme says:

I so agree! He will be a superstar someday.

• Timmah says:

If he was so interested in fair play he should have ditched the guitar. He got to determine the pacing of the performance.

• tvtjw says:

Precisely. I thought that when he was allowed to shine more on his own in Man of Constant Sorrow, he was better, but I still loved Sawyer here. I’m excited to see him sing solo again. There’s definitely a reason to fuss over him.

• Jenks says:

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who did not hop on the Sawyer/Noelle bandwagon. Her voice was barely there and he had zero stage presence. I did like his performance in the blinds, but he will need to step it up for me to vote for him.

• Angie_Overrated says:

We are members of a small and secret society!
        I mean, they sounded fine. But their inexperience on a stage absolutely showed.

• Birdy says:

But isn’t what this show is helping to do–give them experience on a stage? Or are we looking for already-polished pros? If you want the “right person” for a job opening, sometimes the one with the least experience is the right one, not the one with the most.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You bring up a valid point, but people who are too green don’t have much of a chance when they’re competing against people with a lot of performance experience. And there are more than a few folks this season who know what they’re doing performance wise.

• analythinker says:

I’m tired of agreeing with you, lol.

• Tom22 says:

I’m curios Angie, do you like that song or Credence Clearwater in general ? It’s a very powerful song for me and needs to be sung firmly and yet patiently.
      I can imagine some people not feeling the powerful timelessness of the song though, especially for people who might take lyrics more at a literal value rather than a collection of images and a notes that swell and ebb. (I’m fond of songs that mention rain and sun and water as to me they poetically represent the visceral smell and feel of the world and somehow bring up past, present and future as they emphasize timeless march of history:which is a very comforting and epic feeling to me. I love Led Zeppelins “fool in the rain” and of course the Beatles “here comes the sun” and the emphasis on Sun and Water in the Grateful Dead’s Ripple.
      Somehow all of those songs take a patient tempo and yet require some key strong but understated swells.

• Cip says:

Couldn’t agree Tom22. Sometimes less is more and last night’s performance of “Have You ever Seen the Rain” proved that. Quite frankly, I much prefer this slowed down, lazy version of it over the original. It made me pay attention to the lyrics. And incidentally, not all performances and performers need to be full of “charisma” on stage in order to be identified with. Look at Dylan and Paul Simon. I’ve seem them live and would hardly consider their stage presence anything to write home about. But damn, I’d see them again in a heartbeat

• Tom22 says:

I was trying to say i very much liked his pace.. sorry that didn’t come across. I thought he was doing exactly what I like.. strong but udnerstated.

• Birdy says:

Agreed, Tom22. I’m so sick of singers belting it out at the top of their lungs or at the top of their intensity levels–every song, all the time. Does nobody know how to change it up to be subtle or quiet or lazy, or whatever a song calls for? And I’m tired of “charismatic personalities” being given more weight than pure talent. Dylan probably doesn’t move out of a three-foot circle while he performs, does his customary mumbling into the mike, and certainly doesn’t exude charm and personality (LOL!), but like you, I’d see him again in a heartbeat! Same with James Taylor. Actually, JT put on one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen in my life. It was him, his acoustic guitar, and a tape deck he brought to back himself. He was incredibly good technically, along with charismatic, with that pure voice. Real talent doesn’t need elaborate effects in order to shine.

• Cip says:

The second half of my response wasn’t directed to you Tom22. :) It was in response to those statements above saying the Sawyer was “boring”. I couldn’t disagree more with them

• Laney says:

Agreed. Not a fan of his yet, and sad to read all this gushing. I enjoyed all the singers and admire their courage. And, I do recommend a make over to take Sawyer out of the teeny bopper look, I also noticed he doesn’t open his mouth sometimes which garbled words. Hopefully Pharell will help Sawyer and not just decide to let him do his own thing-dump the guitar!

• Birdy says:

I can’t imagine anyone doing a makeover on Sawyer! Why? So he can look generic? So he can look slick and polished? That’s not who he is, and his individuality is one of the reasons people like him. So sad that uniqueness and individuality are so undervalued. There’s more than one “look,” more than one type of voice, and more than one type of personality when it comes to talent. There are so many “today’s star look and sound” types on the show. Do we really need another? He shouldn’t let anyone change who he is just so he can win. Does his voice need work? Sure, but so does just about everybody else’s on the show. Does he have potential? Loads and loads of it. As someone in another post said, there are different kinds of mega stars. He could be a blues, folk, folk-rock, or crossover star. Doesn’t have to be pop or pop-rock or soul.

13. PatD says:

They shouldn’t take the guitar away from him. That’s not who is, and I don’t want him being forced into something he’s not. I don’t want to watch him follow the competitive show’s format. I want to watch him do his thing. He may be only 15, but he has a better sense of identity than most the older, way more experienced contestants.

• And I hope they dont do a haircut makeover on Sawyer! It did look great on CWB, but Leave Sawyers hair alone please! I dont want them to change him at all. Hair or song style! After all, we like him just the way we first saw him! That hair is just a part of his artistry! LOL It comes with the package! DONT CHANGE HIM!

• JM says:

I don’t think you have anything to worry about regarding the hair. Pharrell would never do that, and I doubt that Sawyer would let him. I have mixed feelings about the guitar. It’s fine for awhile, but at some point I think he will need to put it down and show more energy to win.

• Birdy says:

PatD, do I ever agree with you about Sawyer having a better sense of identity than many of the more experienced contestants. I hope he never changes who he is as a person and as a performer. It’s very sad to me to see someone who’s unique (in today’s world) not being valued for his “differentness.” It seems everybody wants to see hip-but-homogenized talents who “fit the mold.” Slick, with louder-than-life voices and all this “charisma.” Seems that the ones who look the best and sing the loudest (whether the song calls for it or not) get all the fan adoration. There are some great voices on this show this season, but most of them are just about interchangeable, imo. Sawyer’s just as talented, but in a different way. That doesn’t make him “less” talented. He’s not a pop star, thank God, and I hope he never becomes one. And he’s got charisma; it’s just understated. I guess a lot of folks think charisma means having “hit-you-over-the-head” personality and “stage presence.” Personally, I’d take someone like Sawyer over Ashley, who has an awesome voice, but so little personality behind it. And even if Sawyer might not have a chance of winning, as some folks here feel, that has no influence on me “picking” him. He’s got awesome potential, and while I hope he wins, I’m not going with someone else just so I can back a “winner.”

14. Sarah says:

This isn’t based on tonight but overall it seems like this year the pool of talent seems even deeper than usual. There are a lot of genuine contenders and they’re going to have to cut some really talented people in the knockouts.

15. christina says:

How do you rate the best battle last? Lmao I can’t

16. mssone1993 says:

I was looking forward to this episode since they have some freaking exciting and recent songs such as Animals, Love Me Harder, Style and I also freaking love Unwritten. CAN’T believe they just “montaged” like 3 of them and expect me to see performances of the other two songs that I never heard of.

17. Jill Moy says:

PHARRELL steals (saves…how are these steals?) the 19 yr. old at the end but passes on Jeremy? One can win the show the other, only average. Now I realize why I don’t watch The Voice….NEVER AGAIN!

• Jules says:

Before you decide that you’re NEVER watching again, the battles are NOT done in the order they are aired. A friend of mine worked on the show a few seasons back and I got to go to a few tapings. They film it by teams. Usually two teams taped in an early session & the other two taped later that day. That’s why they wear the same clothes, it’s all done in a day. Pharell could’ve already been out of steals by the time Jeremy performed.

• Jill Moy says:

Pharrell said he didn’t take Jeremy because he was waiting for something to “jump out at him”, so he had a steal left!

• Normandy says:

When they talk directly to the camera to comment about things happening, that’s filmed long after the fact and they stay stuff to work within the narrative of how they edit the episode together. Last season they used the exact same Blake clip of him talking about waiting to use his steal TWICE! Last season Gwen says she’s looking for a country guy and then steals Craig. She didn’t say that to the camera and then go out and steal Craig; she said it long after the battles were over.

18. rj says:

yo,noelle bybee should have been stolen. this is why this show doesn’t make superstars . while she may not have the best voice .she certainly has the looks . the most famous artist don’t have the best voice . they have a certain “it” . witch she has . com-on judges you just passed on a chance to find a superstar .

• Jill Moy says:

She couldn’t be stolen…only Pharrell had a steal left and one can’t steal his own contestant!

• HTGR says:

She could’ve been if they had planned it out better.

• Jill Moy says:

You’re right HTGR! The whole show is in the editing and I GUESS, they get the results they want! Jeremy keaving the show was a travesty! So, I believe the whole show is phoney with the fake talking of the judges, planted singers, etc, etc.Why not have an honest show and be truthful! Same thing on AI, terrible talent jept, superior talent gone! I don’t watch The Voice anyway, I decided to watch this episode. I am not watching anymore….too fake….the fake talking of Blake and Adam….too childish for me. Whe Jeremy wasn’t saved, that was it for me as he vocally may have been the best thus year. They’d rather keep the 19 year old at the end of the show who could neever win!

• Carrie says:

The whole point of the show is that the best voice, it is not a beauty competitition. Music can be made for music’s sake and not just over commercialized, image driven fluff with video vixens and pop tarts in unitards, albums should be artistry not just about the cover photo shoot. Barbra Streisand sings a line about keeping her nose to spite her face. Pavarotti was at least 100 pounds overweight and Janis Joplin looked like she never met a makeup artist or hairstylist (thank god!). Mamma Cass, Etta James, even Aretha…none of them are pretty like Taylor Swift and they could all out-sing her with one vocal chord tied around their neck! Not that Taylor is not talented, but she could not compare vocally to someone like Kelly Clarkson in a battle, and that is what this show is supposed to be about. I’m glad the judges stick to that ideal before voters start casting off folks who are not pretty.

• moonriver22 says:

But all your examples are of people who performed long before videos and reality TV. It’s not just about being pretty. I’d word it to say we vote on the whole package. For example, I couldn’t tolerate Danica last season, but it wasn’t about her looks. It was her demeanor and just what I was watching when she performed.

• Jill Moy says:

Mentioning Taylor swift in the same comments with these other singers is a joke! If Taylor swift sang in those eras, she would never get a record deal! My opinion is, she has very limited talent. She gets all these awards which is ridiculous and she is a LITTLE on the oretty side! To me she has a strange look to her face that to me is not appealing! To me her voice is totally annoying! She belongs in KARAOKE at best!

Before THE DEAREST CLUB starts attacking me…..This is my opinion, so don’t get bent out of shape and call me troll, etc., etc.!

• HTGR says:

Yeah, but the fact is these shows are not all about the best voice or most radical talent.

It’s just about, depending on the show in some cases, who production pushes and who they try to tarnish, who the very not representative voting demo votes for, luck of the draw (a bad song here or there might be doom, it doesn’t mean you might not be perfectly fine real world, the setup on these shows isn’t like what would go on if someone was making it real world), what your genre is, etc. etc.

Cute guys routinely last longer than expected, quite a few times country singers have lasted longer than you’d have expected, etc. so why not cute girls for a change since the whole thing is random anyway?

And who is to say the poster pushing something commercial is any worse than what happens 90% of the time on the shows anyway? Heck, it’s probably better just for the fact that someone gets a contrast that gets better support in the end perhaps instead of getting quietly dumped off.

If you try to take it all seriously it just leads nowhere. Believe me.

• HTGR says:

Plus, she is more than looks. Her tone is just awesome and there is almost a sort of delicate floating lilt micro tremor break thingy to it in a way. I don’t know if her range is super huge but she could certainly be an awesome tone singer and I’d bet Blake could’ve done she great things with her. On the iTunes you can hear her voice better without any crowd/guitar as strong/nerves.

• tvtjw says:

It doesn’t matter how pretty Noelle is, Sawyer truly outsung her. She was in no way a potential superstar.

Also, “superstar” does not just apply to top-of-the-pop charts. Sawyer could become a megastar in a rock or blues genre. There are many different kinds of stars.

19. Jules says:

I personally LOVE Jacob and hope Pharell does right by him. He looks like he could be his little brother. I’m still shocked he got rid of Kimberly!! I like Lowell but not better than her. And he would’ve for sure been stolen by Adam. I think he’s gonna regret that one. Christina isn’t letting Kimberly go.

20. Viv says:

Is this just me or are the montaging more performances than usual? Somehow I have the feeling we didn´t see as much actual singing….
    I didn´t like the Animals rendition. It´s something about that song. If you change it too much, it just doesn´t work anymore. At least it didn´t for me in this instance.

• Normandy says:

They always do three battles per hour, so if the two one-hour battle shows had been two hours long, there wouldn’t have been any montages.

• Sharon says:

I agree with both your points.

It’s more and more “reality TV” and less and less “singing competition.” Three songs in an hour is ridiculous, especially when we don’t get to see talented and interesting performers who’ve caught our attention in the blinds and who then get the montage kiss of death. I presume they want to give their coaches and guest mentors lots of air time, but I find the results of that decision boring and irritating. I watch this show first for the singing, second for the contest element and third for the celebrities. The interplay between the coaches is fun, and clips of coaching/mentoring is interesting (when it’s specific and intelligent advice), but I’d like that to be much more subordinate to the singing than it is.

And I don’t think either Rob or Jeremy was well-served by Animals. For Christina to decide she should challenge them with a song that isn’t in either singer’s wheelhouse — in the battle rounds, yet — was poor strategy on her part and hurt Jeremy.

21. Xtina showed a shocking lack of understanding of how Maroon 5’s hits work: They have the catchiest hooks since we first tried heroin. Messing with that is to leave you with an obnoxious song with nonsensical lyrics and dog eared crafted melody. So you had a battle with no discernible melody, no beat, and a ton of really high notes. Poor montaged Noelle was sunk the minute Pharrell picked a song squarely in Sawyer’s wheelhouse and totally 180 degrees wrong for her sweet breathy voice. The switches were jarring. Sawyer needs to work on having body in his voice throughout his entire range because the minute he got out of his middle range he lost everything that makes his voice sound awesome. Corey is a cutey but goodness they were nervous. Jacob is another cutey but he’s just another vaguely androgynous musical theater kid who is gonna sing Train and then go home. I Want Crazy is actually a good song for him, Everybody’s Got Somebody but Me from the same album would have been even better, but Mraz’s part on that has soooo many words and it’s not quite as peppy.

• Angie_Overrated says:

The mistake in your logic is that all Maroon 5 songs have already been composed and recorded to elicit maximum obnoxiousness with lyrics best understood by those who do not speak English.
      I think what I’m really saying is that I am not a big Maroon 5 fan. :)

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Oh and the fact that Adam Levine range is limited to about 3 chords.

• Oh they are terrible songs. But once they are in your head you can’t get rid of them.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Thus the reason I run screaming LALALALALALA with my fingers in my ears every time I hear that one terrible song… something about really wanting to love somebody? I’d think harder what it is to get the right title, but if I accidentally get it stuck in my head, I may have to give myself a transorbital lobotomy with an ice pick.

• HTGR says:

Yeah I don’t think what they did with the Maroon song worked out so well.

And yeah it was a shame to see Noelle so utterly set up to go home. I knew she was going home before they even started. It was a bad pairing and setup for her. The whole duet thing has totally messed some contestants in the past just from the fact it has to be a duet alone and in other cases by the way they pick the song and set it all to work.

22. kelly says:

Umm… that Hunter Hayes song is more pop than country? Really? Blake said that twice, but it sure sounded country to me! Is it just me?

23. Alan Dvorkis says:

I am obsessed with Sawyer. He is along with Dean Ray from Australia X Factor, the best new singer I have heard in years.

24. HTGR says:

Quite the shame to see Noelle Bybee, the cutest of all contestants for this spring’s singing shows (and seemed super nice too), already gone and she did have such a super cool tone.

I knew she was done for though before she even opened her mouth. Sawyer is the sort of contestant he is just voter catnip for reality tv singing shows so she was 99.9% doomed from the start. And then when Sawyer did really well it went to 100.0%.

The other pairings seemed a bit sleepy to me, the episode did rather drag along.

25. Trey Lorenzo says:

Because I am a huge huge fan of The Voice, especially the beautiful Christina (love her) and cool Adam Levine, I must be honest about my complete disappointment in the arrangement of Rob and Jeremy’s rendition of Maroon 5’s Animals. I wake up and go to sleep to that amazing song just about every day. I love the lyrics, I love the arrangement, the video, and I love what it stands for, etc! And I completely love the way Adam rips it…period! And, I can rock that song from beginning to end the way it was meant to be ROCKED!….Like the almighty Adam does it. That is a rock/ love song and I am completely disappointed in the way she coached it. It’s not an r_&_b song or a gospel song…not even close! The breaks, the riffs and the melody totally sucked…all wrong! I am a black r&b/pop vocalist who also loves and appreciates good rock/pop music and artist…and who also plans on becoming a contestant on the voice hopefully next season. My 2 favorite coaches up until tonight were Christina and Adam. Now it’s Adam and Pharrell for sure. it was as if she wanted to completely embarrass and eliminate both of them. Lol Am I the only one that could tell in Adam’s body language that he hated it too? I’ve seen the disinterest in his eyes before with contestants and i saw it again tonight when he heard their rendition. He was just trying to be diplomatic and politically correct when Christina asked him if he liked it. She wouldn’t have had to ask if she knew it was hot…point blank… period. His eyes and body language said it all! #ITSUCKED

26. Paula says:

I’m a little worried about what Pharrell is going to do with Sawyer (song choices for instance… remember what he did with DaNica?) but on the other hand, this kid has a lot of charisma and talent (people already love him) and he is a potential top three at least, so if he doesn’t make it to that point, I will probably blame Pharrell.

27. Robert says:

Sawyer all the way! Pure talent, an old soul with greatness to come. Once in a lifetime singer…

• Birdy says:

Absolutely! This kid doesn’t need any gimmicks, he doesn’t need to be a “personality.” All he needs to do is go out there and sing and play his guitar. So refreshing these days!

28. Lulu Evans says:

Sawyer all the way!! What a refreshing talent he is!!

29. Jeff says:

I’m done with this show, it keeps getting more and more about the celebrities and less about the competitors. We don’t even see all the competitors, we see friggin rehearsals so the celebs get their camera time. We see sob stories of people that don’t even get picked for the show and then good singers don’t get on tv because they have no sob story. Done done done.

30. Sharon says:

There are moments when Sawyer’s voice is pure magic. But he needs coaching to stop singing through his nose so much of rest of the time.

And while I agree that he seems genuinely sweet, humble and unspoiled, I wish someone would take him aside and suggest he stop prefacing every comment about what he never expected to see or do with the opening, “Living on a farm, I never expected to [insert all possible life experiences].” Yes, I know he’s home schooled, but surely he’s occasionally gone to town to visit the dentist or help mom buy the chicken feed. It’s fair–even sweet–that we hear this home-schooled farm youngster is dazzled to be on an international TV program, but we can hear it once or twice in total, not several times in every episode. This is the fault of the show’s packagers (producer, director, editor), who are relentlessly turning these “voices” into television characters: the moving (or not-so-moving) back story, crying or having eureka moments in rehearsals, and repetitive comments that reinforce someone’s “role” (aka stereotype) on the show: the farm kid, the singing soldier, the hearing-impaired woman, etc.

I mean no disrespect to the contestants or the journeys that brought them to The Voice, but just let us hear more singing.

31. moonriver22 says:

Well, I’m glad to find a site where you can see comments. That’s the best part, because it always fascinates me what different people think!

For me, I love the coach bantering on this show because I think it’s truly entertaining. These are 4 icons who know their music. But like everyone else on the planet, I hate the montages, particularly when they get sacrificed to sob stories and rehearsals.

I really love this show (even though this season isn’t quite as captivating for me as others) but my fear is that they’ll make the same mistake Idol did and not listen to what viewers want. This is one issue where there seems to be 100 percent agreement.

32. I watch the Voice and will continue to do so. That being said, I don’t get all fired up about it like I use to.
    I don’t want to watch re-hashes of ‘their road to the Voice’ over and over again. Everyone has a hard luck story that makes it all the more dramatic. The stiff, awkward choreography on the stage is almost painful to watch as you can almost hear them think, ‘ o.k., now I move to that side of the stage’. Also, a good part of the time, it appears that a certain song/song style is choosen that definitely benefits one singer over the other. As if they’ve picked the singer that they want to go through and now, have to make it happen.
    A 2 hour program with 4-6 actual singing battles. Way to much filler. Way to much wasted time.

33. JM says:

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised that Christina chose Rob over Jeremy. I really liked Rob’s voice but thought he was doomed against the more attactive and well-built Jeremy. Especially after Adam’s ‘regal’ comment. So glad that Christina didn’t listen to Adam and went with the ‘voice’ over appearance.

• Paula says:

The same thing happened to me. After the battle I was surprised because Jeremy didn’t seem to be the same person we saw on the blinds, he seemed uncomfortable with the song or maybe he was nervous… anyway, Rob was better but I thought “now she is s going to pick Jeremy and is going to be totally unfair”. But then I was “yes, Christina, you did the right thing.”

34. Mira says:

Sawyer Fredrick’s sounds like the dearly departed John Denver…. the timber of his voice is very similar and you can see him as the next Dylan or someone like that(If he writes songs) his look is amazing and friendly and so likable) but that said….The format of the Voice is beyond boring now!Although they do have the best singers… very strong…but within an hour of show, you come to realize its all about the Judges smirking and twirking and talking and smiling on themselves….there is probably less than total 8 minutes of real entertainment and 40 minutes of commercials…it’s the most commercial show on the air today…you just know that after they segment the artist with the coach and mentor we go to commercial then after 5-6 minutes of commercial the battles begin…then after we go to all the judges boring comments…The only way to watch this show is on fast forward…I don’t want to listen to the judges insults of each other and the fake war between Blake and Adam…I want to hear the Singers sing! More than a little…I will say this whoever is doing their sound, is amazing! Because on Idol it sounds very live and not a lot of effects…and you can hear the cracks and faults of the singers voices, but on the Voice…it is Pro all the way…record ready…

35. Meme says:

Sawyer Fredericks’ voice gives me goosebumps no matter what he is singing. That kid has something very special, and I hope he makes it all the way to the finals.

• Birdy says:

He does have something special, Meme, and I’m with you in hoping he makes it all the way through!

• as says:

I think he’s amazing. He’s authentic…not a bit contrived…he’s completely believable. Has a musical identity and a strong strong unique voice….has “a look”…..is humble….and is so young and cute to boot. Sawyer has the X-Factor .

36. Birdy says:

There’s a lotta great talent on this show, but I’m hoping to see several of the contestants show more diversity and give us a better sense of how far they can stretch outside their comfort zones. I mean, wouldn’t it be crazy to hear Hanna sing a subtle, but powerful, ballad? (Like that’ll happen, but I’d love to hear it. Her practice sessions showed a lot more there than her on-stage performances.) Or, it’d be great to see Ashley show less polish and more personality…. I want to hear Clinton give us some rough and raw sound (I think he’s capable!), and so on. I want to hear Sawyer really belt something out, even more than he did in the blinds. That being said, I’m thoroughly enjoying this!

37. Shelli wilson says:

Sawyer rocks!!! That is all. ❤️

38. ABox says:

Anthony Riley was truly one of the leading talent this season on The Voice. I’m so sad to hear he had to drop out of the competition. But I’d love to know the real reason for his “personal” decision to leave the show. I’m not sure their “official” explanation or the rumored motive tells the whole story. Does anyone know the FULL & complete story for his exit?