Reality Check: 'All Bets Are Off' on American Idol! Plus: Is Crazy Failure Worse Than a Total Lack of Risk?

“Baffling.” “Crunk.” “Taking chances.” “Butt booty naked.” “Shrinky dink.” “Bear running through the woods.”

These are just a few of the unexpected words and phrases spicing up the conversation on this week’s installment of Reality Check — where my co-host Melinda Doolittle and I dish the crazy, back-to-back Top 12 and Top 11 performance nights on Season 14 of American Idol. (Sorry, Sarina-Joi Crowe’s elimination left us too devastated to dig into The Voice this time around.)

What it all comes down to, my friends (yes, that was a sly Alanis reference), is that Idol has brand new front-runners after a week that was the living embodiment of Diana Ross’ “Upside Down.” Yet while we find plenty of time to celebrate the emergence of Joey Cook and Tyanna Jones as the proverbial “Ones to Beat,” we also offer up some very necessary advice for Qaasim Middleton, Jax, Clark Beckham and Rayvon Owen.

Also, another Important Debate arises: Is it better to try for greatness and fall flat on the floor (yes, that was a sly Carrie Underwood reference) or to take absolutely no chances and leave us uncomfortably numb? (Fret not: Melinda channels her inner Olivia Pope and handles this topic.)

So press PLAY above for the full Reality Check experience — then hit the comments to #IdolAgree or #IdolDisagree! (Don’t you just love it when I use Fox-approved hashtags?)

1. Lunakit says:

QUICK POLL: How many times have you refreshed your screen looking for the new Reality Check since yesterday??? TVLine must be loving the extra page views they get on Mondays…! (Not that I’m a conspiracy theorist or anything ;-)

2. S says:

Just curious when Carrie Underwood fell flat?

3. Zach says:

Rayvon is my favorite right now, his voice just makes me happy!

& Is it just me or is Joey Cook’s voice & tone thinner then angelhair pasta?

• Thin!? I think it’s quite thick and crunchy, like praline. But that is definitely not for everyone.

• Syb says:

Wow i think quite the opposite. Jax has a thin voice. Its pretty. Its not a bad thing but thats thin. Joeys voice is pretty rich to my ears.

• Puchinsmom says:

Yes, Syb. I agree about Joey’s voice. I love it! Can’t decide about Jax though.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree as well. I am liking Joey more and more, if nothing else for her sense of style and knowing exactly who she is. I have never cared for Jax and her thin, baby-whiny breathy voice.

• Mary says:

I agree about Joey. I liked Jax at first but all her songs are blending in for me. She reminds me of Marilyn Monroe singing for the President. Rayvon is the same, beautiful voice but needs to change it up or he might be a goner this week.

• darcy's evil twin says:

yep. I’ve made the identical comparison re: Jax. And Rayvon is one of the contestants that needs to step it up a notch.

• deedee says:

Joey was great this week! I fear that her quirky stylized performances are going to get too one-note, though. She should give us something straight every now and then – kind of like Cindy Lauper pulling out a “True Colours” or a “Time After Time” in between the “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”s and the “She Bop”s.
          Tyanna is, imo, the it girl of the season. Totally authentic, full of joy, bursting with life, and so, so likable. She’s the one I most look forward to seeing each week.
          Quentin was in my top 3, along with Tyanna and SarinaJoi :'( , but after hearing him sing a few weeks now, I really don’t think he’s all that good.
          The rest are all ok, but I don’t see any stars among them.

• dax says:

your comment about Tyanna was very accurate, a lot of people say Tyanna was their favourite but you are one of the few who expand on their opinion, if I am right, why is Tyanna not talked about other than superficially.

• marie says:

Good to “see” you, deedee!

• karyn says:

I agree with the pro-Joey contingent. Jax is totally marketable right now but I’m not sure she really has the vocal chops to keep doing interesting things. Joey has the voice and each week I’ve been glad she was still around just b/c she was different (and different on this show is definitely good). But Fancy was the first time we saw her apply her unique style to a song in a way that she could have an actual hit rather than just having a cult following.

• bobsaccamanna says:

I don’t know if this makes sense but I think Jax is trying hard to be what Joey just naturally is without trying. Joey’s not faking it, the performer we see on TV is what we would see if Joey was out on a street corner singing. I get the sense that Jax is trying to cultivate an image and a sound, just my opinion.. And now that Joey seems comfortable, I think she will get better and better, her version of Fancy was easily my favorite Idol performance in two season, certainly better than anything we saw last season. I think you hit it right on the head Karyn, her performance of Fancy elevated her way past “cult”. I also think it was very telling when JLO mentioned that she can see Joey making an album of songs in that vein, quietly Joey said” that’s all I want”. That shows me her heart is in the right place, she wants a career in music,and is not necessarily looking for superstar status. I kind of see her as this seasons Crystal Bowersox.

• Puchinsmom says:

Yes, bob! Really astute commments. I hope Joey keeps showing us her best. I’d like to hear her let loose and belt out some notes. She sort of did with Fancy, but I think she has all kinds of levels we haven’t seen yet and, as her confidence grows we’ll see more of. I actually enjoy her songs with the instruments and the playfulness. But Fancy was way better. And won a lot of fans over.

• bobsaccamanna says:

@ Puchinsmom-last season, I don’t recall ever going back and watching a youtube replay of a performance, I think I have watched Fancy 10 times already, and you’re right, I think as her confidence grows we will see even more growth.

• darcy's evil twin says:

bobsaccamanna, you made some insightful comments, and I agree. “King of Spain” was pretty good, but up until Joey did “Fancy” I thought of her as a novelty act. And although Fancy was quite good I really enjoyed Caleb Johnson’s “Dazed and Confused” last season. Because I’m old. :-)

• bobsaccamanna says:

LOL Darcy, I was old when the Gong Show was popular.

• marie says:

LOL, that’s why I like it around here – just a bunch of old farts shootin’ the breeze about Idol.
            Re Joey / Jax: I’ve liked Joey from the start, but totally agree that “Fancy” was her best yet. I don’t know about the actual quality of her voice – I think she may be making up a lot in style – in FABULOUS style – what she may not have in actual vocal chops, but if that’s the case, I totally don’t care. I said it last week: I’d pay good money to hear her sing, particularly if she had some jazz in her show.
            I still like Jax despite her poor showing last week; anyone can have an off-night (a shame about Sarina Joi!). The Taylor Swift song was a disaster, but the first half of the Beatles song was divine. I think she may actually have MORE pure voice in there somewhere than we’ve seen up to now.

• Timmah says:

Agreed, and Clark is Lee Dewyze.

• blargsmurgle says:

Except lee dewyze can’t sing to save his life and Clark has one of the best male voices that has ever been on this show. On top of that, lee is a folk singer and Clark is a soul singer.

• MAB says:

The first time I really liked Joey was this week with Fancy. She is very quirky & fun but to be honest I cannot see her being a main stream success. She is following the style of Post Modern Jukebox. She is actually copying them. Everyone thinks she is brilliant but if you listen to Post Modern Jukebox she really is not original at all.

• bobsaccamanna says:

That may be true MAB, but by that token is anyone on the show truly original other than maybe Quentin.. I don’t think someone like Joey is looking for main stream success, she seems pretty smart about who she is, which will be a niche artist with a fan base big enough to make a living doing her style of music. I may be wrong, but I’m sure most people watching Idol, myself included, had ever heard of Post Modern Jukebox before Joey performed their song, so it seemed fresh and original unlike the usual idol rehash of the same old songs done over and over. I was thoroughly entertained and those moments have been few and far between on Idol recently.

• MAB says:

I didn’t know about Post Modern Jukebox till she mentioned it. I give her a lot of credit because she gave them the credit. She did not try to make anyone think she created it herself. I really like Joey. I just don’t see her as winning. I think she is surprised herself about how far she she’s gone.

• Ann says:

She actually DID give them full credit in her after comments.

• MAB says:

Yes, she did and I have total respect for her for doing that.

• joey says:

Michael Slezak will be pleased to know that Haley Reinhart has made contributions to the Postmodern Juke Box.

• Me. says:

Definitely. Actually it sounds more like Joey is talking not singing. Love Rayvon.

• Temperance says:

He has a great vioice, Too bad everything he does is SO BORING. It’s *nice* (in the not good way), expected (in the not interesting way), and his look is so *done*… I feel like I’m looking at any number of kids that wander the halls at any university school. I literally forget what song he did by the end of the show. That’s what he needs to fix.

4. webly3 says:

I agreed with Melinda. Your Wide Awake of Rayvon scoring was a tad ridiculous. I really enjoyed this edition though. :)

5. Reb says:

The black people always die early. Thanks Melinda that was funny!

6. Christian says:

Poor Maddie! Never gets mentioned on Reality Check.

• Poor girl had a ruptured appendix…she may not perform Wednesday!

• Wen Lueker says:

Isn’t the show on Thursday this week?

• Smokey says:

When I had a ruptured appendix, I was 3 days in the hospital,.. it was very painful to be moving around much for the next 10 -12 days due to the incision, especially getting up & down from a chair. — ———-it takes some time to heal. Maybe she can sing Thursday, but it will be really pushing it and probably need pain killers if she can at all..

• marie says:

OMG that poor young lady. I went through that this past New Year’s Eve. I was in the hospital for a week. The pain before i had surgery was unbearable. I don’t know how she performed! This can be a very dangerous situation if she goes into sepsis. Right now she just needs to take care of her health and I wish her all the best.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Glad you are okay, marie. I spoke to someone recently that had a ruptured appendix and they didn’t even realize theirs had ruptured, which is unusual. So Maddie’s pain may not have been as severe as yours. Sure hope she makes it back. She was one of the contestants that I saw as having the potential to be on an “Idol Trajectory” (I just made that up – I can’t think of how else to explain what I’m trying to say).

• marie says:

Thanks, DET. I am indeed fine now. I think “Idol Trajectory” works very well as a descriptive term.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh dear! Yes, her performance deserved a mention. Wow, sorry to hear about the ruptured apendix. I wonder how they’ll handle this?

• Timmah says:

I think there’s a strong chance she was the one eliminated based on last week’s votes, so they might just skip her doing the Save song because they’re not going to use it on her anyway.

7. Runner says:

Melinda you are giving me life today! LOL! Other than that, this was a very accurate breakdown of affairs. Thx for nixing the Voice as well.

8. Marta says:

Thanks, this has helped me cope with Sarina-Joi’s elimination, of which I’m still not over. Though I don’t want to lose any more of my favorites, another shock boot of a contender this week for justify/validify the lost or SJC in a way. (Quassim could go and I won’t mind….)

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

It is kind of silly to label anyone as a frontrunner before the live voting begins. Good performances and praise from the judges does not bestow frontrunner status; rather, getting the most votes is what puts someone at the front of the pack. Voters vote based on a variety of reasons, and the quality of the performance is just one factor. Since the show never releases vote totals, the only way we can know seems to be in front is to see who never ends up in the bottom three. That insight is not even available this year, where the low-vote getter is the only person whose results are specifically mentioned. If this format continues, we will never know who the true frontrunners are and who is truly trailing the rest of the pack, waiting to be picked off like a wounded baby gazelle hunted by lions.
      Past experience is helpful, however. We know that WGWG generally do well, women get picked off early, and AI voters love country. On that basis, I would say that Adanna, Tyanna, Jax and Qaasim have the most to worry about, with Clark, Nick and baby Bieber feeling somewhat less stressed at this point. I wouldn’t be shocked if Quentin or Joey–despite destroying the field last week–wound up going home. Talent does not always win out.

9. Jenny says:

I confess to obsessively checking and rechecking tvline for a new installment of Reality Check. I find this show so entertaining and informative, that I can’t help being obsessed.

10. Christian says:

Is Michael still interviewing the eliminated contestants.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I hope so. I’m trying to remember when he starts doing those that are eliminated. Is it when they get down to the Top 10? It’s the Top 10 that go on tour.

11. sg54 says:

YAY REALITY CHECK! I was pleased that they raved on Joey, but I wish they had talked more about Clark’s Wednesday night-it seemed like they almost forgot about it, when I thought it was far from forgettable. I’m predicting either Daniel, Qaasim, or Rayvon to go home tomorrow.

12. Kate says:

See Michael, even you know you don’t want to cover The Voice.

• Angie_Overrated says:

The Voice is still eliminating droves of contestants in preliminary rounds. There’s not much to say yet until we get to the finalists. I wouldn’t jump to that conclusion of yours.

• Timmah says:

One thing’s for certain, nobody is turning their chairs around for a voice like Daniel’s. The group of finalists they’re assembling is going to make Idol look like a high school talent show.

• bobsaccamanna says:

We can debate Idol over the Voice or vice versa but two things are for certain. Singers like Daniel, or Lazarus, or Sanjaya, etc.. never make it anywhere near the live shows on The Voice, and despite the fact that The Voice always seems to have better and more polished performers, Idol always generates twice the blog interest. And I’m still old.

• Timmah says:

The Voice gets twice the ratings though.

• MAB says:

Only because of the judges. It surprises me that it gets such good ratings because I find the whole process as totally boring until they get to the live shows and then it’s over in the blink of an eye. You just don’t get invested in the contestants like you do with Idol but that’s just my opinion.

• Puchinsmom says:

How many of us commenting on this site are old? It’s kind of cool. Not that I mind a diverse group, I’m just surprised. (BTW, I just started on medicare, so I guess I’m officially old).

• darcy's evil twin says:

Several of us are old but that doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate good vocalists, performers, and good music. After all, we saw some of the best “back in the day”.

• bobsaccamanna says:

I totally agree MAB, the biggest issue with The Voice is the speed in which the contestants are eliminated without a chance to see any growth or variety in someone you might like. I also think that’s he reason that Idol generates more blog interest, we all are afforded the chance to get invested in our favorites and actually see them improve if they stick around long enough. And I’m right behind you Puchinsmom, let’s put it like this, I have been to upwards of 120 Springsteen concerts dating right back to the beginnng1973. When he started performing the marathon 3 hour plus shows back in 1978 I would still be up on my feet screaming for encores when they ended. Now I wish he would just start acting his age and get the hell off the stage, I’m exhausted.

• Angie_Overrated says:

There are definitely a few of us posting here who are not teenage girl “swaybots” as Slezak so affectionately calls them. I got the sense I was one of the older ones, but if you’re collecting Medicaid, you’ve got me beat by a decade or three! lol Which is cool. It’s interesting hearing what people who were teenagers when Karen Carpenter and Smokey Robinson were in their heyday have to say about music today.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Dunno about that. Remember Reagan James, Jessie Pitts, and Tyler Three Names from last season? They were all Daniel-levels of awful and they were finalists. But in all fairness, last season was The Voice’s weakest talent wise.

• bobsaccamanna says:

I never check the ratings, The Voice really does that much better Timmah?
        I guess part of the reason other than the talent would be that the mentors/judges are so much more likable. I just wish The Voice wouldn’t rush through the live shows as quick as they do, we hardly get to know some of the contestants before they are gone.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

The Voice has a 50% more total viewers per week than AI. The margin is even greater in the 18-49 demographic coveted by advertisers.
          I have the same problem as you with The Voice live shows–they dispose of their contestants too quickly.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’ll tune into The Voice if nothing else is on but it’s all about the judges, not the contestants. And while I love Blake Shelton I’d like to see more of the contestants.

13. Becca says:

Go Joey

14. Leticia Prado says:

Jason Averett, I love you. And I loved the Bjork mention. My heart is still bleeding from her latest record.

15. PatD says:

Another post falls off into the netherworld.

There must be something really wonky in the forum coding on this site.

16. Eurydice says:

It’s ok if you don’t cover The Voice, Michael – I actually watch that show. But I depend on your reviews and Reality Check to let me know what’s going on with AI. :-)

17. brother andy says:

It’s unfair to take complete amateurs, throw them on stage, then hack them to pieces as to why they are not more professional. Yet, Joey is like eating too much candy — wonderful idea, too much of a good thing FAST! She’s Cyndi Lauper, which means little at time does it. Jax is so stylized to the point of absurdity — a throw-back to the 60’s when “girl” was pronounced “gull” in every song. You keep hyping Tyanna but what I see/hear is someone with unruly hair, dressed as Pee Wee Herman (in too small of outfits) and no sex appeal at all, with a shrillness dogs respond to in a negative way. Adanna is simply sloppy in breath control, diction, and needs to learn to clean up vocals. There’s only one person who is a star and that’s Quentin Alexander — who just needs to work with the right producers and he’ll give the world magic.

• Ok…Tyanna is like 16 years. I DON’T WANT HER TO BE SEXY!!! She’s a kid for cry out loud, she doesn’t have to be sexy!!!
      What the hell!!!
      I love the fct tht she’s not sexy, she’s not trying to be sexy, she’s just singing the hell out of every music.
      Pray sister!!!!

• marie says:

Amen to that! I totally agree. She’s a delightful YOUNG lady whose presence on the show is really quite refreshing, and she can sing like nobody’s business! Plenty of time for “sexy” in three or four years.

• darcy's evil twin says:

PREACH! I appreciate the fact she’s acting in an age-appropriate manner and turning in good vocal performances.

• Kevin Samples says:

While I understand why many viewers may appreciate that Tyanna isn’t trying to cultivate a sexy image, I can also understand those who find Tyanna’s presentation all-too-similar to a lead character on a Disney Channel program like Hannah Montana or a Nickelodeon program like Victorious. It just seems kind of juvenile, and if you prefer a more adult-oriented performer, it can be unappealing. Lucrative (at least in the short-term), but definitely not everyone’s cup of tea.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Good point, Kevin, but those Disney performers grow up. Hopefully Tyanna won’t end up like Britney Spears, though. Or running around with Justin Bieber like Selena Gomez.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Brother andy – I think pronouncing “girl” like “gull” might have been a result of the British Invasion in the 60s.

• karyn says:

You say it’s unfair to hack them to pieces but then you go ahead and do it.

• jennvozik says:

lol, i know. Hypocrite much, Brother Andy?!? Just watch Janelle Monae & you will see exactly why Tyanna was styled the way she was. And it won’t even take magic to find it.

• Temperance says:

While I agree about Quentin, pretty much the rest isn’t terribly reflective of reality. Q won’t win, of course, but he could have a career. Tyanna is amazing, though.

18. karenb says:

I must be the only person not on the Joey train. Seriously-she comes off as very gimmicky to me. I think that Quentin is the real deal. I like not knowing what he’s going to do next. He’s the interesting one for me. And I enjoy his singing. Joey-not so much.

• Me Too! I love Quentin!

• karyn says:

I like Quentin for the same reason I like Joey – they both have good voices and a better idea of who they want to be musically than the other contestants. BUT, I hated his Rolling in the Deep. Harry was right that Q obviously had no idea what that song is about b/c his interpretation was jarringly bad.

• Lemon says:

If you listen to his interviews, Quentin is very thoughtful about the way he is doing things. The theme that week was “Party Songs.” He took a song about a painful breakup, and lightened it up to match the theme. That’s what Harry and J Lo were arguing about after Quentin performed, and J Lo was spot on.

• karyn says:

I understood why he did it, I just think he crashed and burned in the attempt. You can’t successfully turn a song with a domestic violence theme into a “party song” by speeding it up so you can dance to it.

• thank goodness somebody else shares my opinion about joey! gimmicky is a good word for it!

19. Wen Lueker says:

But Why no Voice commentary? To me there are far more interesting voices happening there.

• joey says:

The Voice is a game show. American Idol at its best is a way for America to discover and vote for someone who might become a household name: Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Clay Aiken, Daughtery, Katherine Mcphee, Adam Lambert, etc

• wen says:

Granted, The Voice needs a success story more than someone opening for a name act. But Idol hasn’t had a success since Philip Phillips – and even he is not likely to have the longevity of Carrie or Kelly. I think last week on Idol revealed these contestants to be not quite the talent they were touted to be. And the judges – the new mentor – are softer on critiques so far this year – So, the kids are not getting the coaching they need. The Voice has several contestants who are ready for prime time – I zip through Idol on my dvr in about 10 minutes.

• joey says:

The more Idol tries to be like the Voice, the less likely it is that they’ll produce a star.
          When the Voice produces a star, then I’ll be a believer. Do the Voice contestants get a lot of mentoring? Yes. Then, why no stars in 7 seasons? Because it’s a game show pretending to be a singing competition.
          It reminds me of a 4 handed card game. The coaches are the card-players. The singers are the playing cards. The coaches compete against each other to get the best hand.
          Sometimes a singer is an Ace of Spades or a King of Hearts, and all the coaches want him or her. Sometimes the singer is a Six of Diamonds or a 5 of Spades and only a couple coaches want him or her. Then the two coaches try to convince the 5 of Spades or the Six of Diamonds that they are actually Aces or Kings. Two weeks later they’re thrown on the discard pile.

Fine, game shows can be entertaining. Will they produce a star? Maybe. But the Voice is mostly about the coaches, and when Idol starts making the show about the judges–season 12 and 13, then they will fail in their mission to find a star.

20. Emily says:

Can they interview Sarina (and maybe even Savion)? They used to do that, even with people cut way early….

21. Lyn says:

Michael and Melinda – hysterical as always! Can’t wait to see what Quentin will do next. He’s got so much soul – so much potential!!!!!!!!

22. Lavender Rose says:

Hi Michael, I discovered your Reality Check videos around last year (although I’ve been a fan of American Idol since day one of season one). Reality Check has become one of the highlights of my week! The discussions between you and Melinda are hilarious, engaging, and incisive. My only wish is that they could be longer – like 1/2 hr to an hour (One can dream!). Keep up the great work!

23. Veronica One says:

I like Jax just fine. But she, not Qaasim, is the promising contestant whose bench isn’t deep. At this point, Joey, Quentin and Qaasim are the ones that will convince me to keep watching. Tyanna is a delight, more like a pro than anyone else. Her performances delight me, but she alone will not keep me watching. I need those four to protect me from the toxicity of Daniel’s high-school-talent-show performances. Daniel won’t be a star. Daniel won’t keep anyone watching. Justin Bieber isn’t even Justin Bieber anymore, and he at least was cute, not just childish and small. The producers should stop sticking it to Rayon and Qaasim and give the Daniel the go-home treatment.

24. marie says:

I rewound three times to hear Melinda sing that snippet of “Rock Steady.” :-)

25. fullyCOOKed says:

Not even an image or a mention of Nick Fradiani? Really??

• darcy's evil twin says:

I put Nick in the same category as Clark and Rayvon – he’s a very good vocalist and totally competent but he needs to step it up a notch. I can’t quite put my finger on it but even though he’s very good his performances border on being quickly forgettable unless you’re a huge fan. If anyone needs to have an “Idol Moment” quickly, and I hate that term, it’s Nick.
      I thought “Wake Me Up” was an odd choice for Nick – the lyrics just didn’t seem to fit. He seemed too old for the lyrics to me – when I was 28 I had two college degrees, had purchased a home, was working at my second job, and had been married for six years. So for me personally the song seemed odd but it was a solid performance. JMO

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

Here’s my thoughts on Nick, Clark, and Rayvon–very nice voices, very solid performances. All three are very good, but in this case good is the enemy of great. They are comfortable at or near the top of the rankings, and are not pushing themselves to be great. They are like Lt. Data playing violin in STNG–technically spot on, but utterly lacking in emotional impact.

• karyn says:

They forgot Nick for the same reason I always do — he’s forgettable. He’s perfectly competent, good looking and I have nothing really to criticize him for. I’ve rooted for him just b/c I like seeing someone older who doesn’t need to be taught the basics about being a singer but he has never had a performance that makes me see him as a potential star. He seems like the front man for one of those bands that play in casinos that you don’t notice until you run out of money and have to sit around waiting for your friends to be ready to leave.

• Temperance says:

Seeing as I didn’t remember that he was on the show… no, it kinda didn’t matter. It’s kind of a blessing, really: the new haircut is tragic.

26. darcy's evil twin says:

Mr. Slezak and Melinda, as usual the two of you were totally entertaining! I was also sorry to see Sarina Joi Crowe leave, as she was certainly better than Daniel Seavey, but that seems to be the way the Idol Train rolls – every year some front-runner flies right off the tracks in the early season. I think the girl’s got talent and I wish her well.
    Although everyone, including M&M, is talking about Qaasim and the Emporer Not Having Any Clothes, I would also put Jax firmly in that category. I know I am in the minority here but if you can’t sing Taylor Swift better than Taylor Swift, or at least manage a decent karaoke cover, it’s time to hang it up. There is no argument Swift is a great songwriter but her vocals aren’t the greatest. Jax’s breathy, whiny vocals just don’t do anything for me. I’ve said this before but every time she sings all I hear is Marilyn Monroe singing “Happy Birthday, Mr. President” and yes, I am showing my old age with that comparison.
    Rayvon has an amazing voice but M&M are correct – right now he’s just a guy with an amazing voice. I LOVE Clark but he also needs more emotion in his songs. And I sure hope Maddie is going to be okay – it would be a shame to lose her, as I was starting to see some similarities to Carrie Underwood.

• Syb says:

Somebody above said it better but to me Jax is all image management with a prettyish voice and nothing of substance underneath. There seems to me to be no authenticity to emoting lyrics like I Wanna Hold Your Hand while fondling your parents’ faces and wearing a meme dress. It suggests to me that she would be as happy with a cable reality show as a singing career. Dont know her and dont know if that is accurate or fair but that is my impression since I first saw her perform. It comes off to me as very manufactured edginess that keeps me from leaning in when she sings. I do feel like eventually she will do something I love though.

27. John says:

My age enables me to tell you Tyanna put in more than a Michael Jackson jig in “Tightrope” but to see it you need a keen eye and memory! No, not the hair, dress or other jig- this one is seen in the last one breath line “high and low, wether it’s…” It’s her mouth in one instant! Plus, she can sing all the Ross songs (near end she looks to her right and looks like her), Houston songs, Franklkn songs, and Zjsckson songs! Here is the kicker, she can dance like MJ, too’

28. John says:

Tyanna should sit on a high bar stool in a polka dot dress with 6 slips and a gray wig and sass a verse of “Somewhere over the rainbow” then tear off the dress and hair and really sing the rest!

29. jane says:

Finally Joey gets noticed by Slezak and Melinda. But the funny thing is, she has been consistently good all this time. Fancy was awesome, but her Shop Around or Sweet Pea or Keith’s Somebody Like You were just as good, quirky, funny and awesome.

30. Andy says:

The new producer “help” is ruining a lot of these singers. This producer sucks. The one last year did too. Go away

• joey says:

Randy Jackson did suck as a mentor, so does Scott Borchetta. At least he seems to suck. He should have told Jax not to do a Karaoke of a Taylor Swift song.

• Temperance says:

Honestly, it’s been a mixed bag so far. The most obvious mistakes were both with Jax: 1) telling her to change up her (already perfect) I Wanna Hold You Hand, and 2) doing Blank Space at all (just because he discovered her doesn’t mean that specific-to-original-artist of a song should be covered – ever).

31. Carol says:

Reality Check was so great this week, can’t wait for the next one!

32. Lking says:

Better late than never! Agree with all that was said and then some. Big oversight that no mention of Maddie having to be rushed to the hospital with a ruptured appendix and still singing. Can’t wait for tonight’s show to see who gets to stay. Also will there be a top ten your.

33. Smokey says:

the Thursday night show this week could have some interesting turns. ……………….the unfortunate emergency appendix surgery and recovery time needed for Maddie, could prevent her from singing this week……. I believe the elimination from the top 11 will have to be either Qaasim, Daniel, Maddie or Adanna, with Rayvon only slightly possible.

34. PFitzDC says:

Slezak–ARE there songs of Sarina’s on iTunes? (Or any of this year’s contestants for that matter?) I found one Sarina-Joi song (Hold on Me) and thought it was pretty mediocre, but I loved much of what I heard on Idol. But am wondering if Fox isn’t doing an alignment with iTunes this year????

35. gayle vitela says:

Anybody else having trouble viewing? I get the same message on my pc and my tablet (both run Chrome): This video is unavailable in safety mode

• darcy's evil twin says:

I am running Chrome on my laptop and I am having no problems. You might try going to You-Tube and watching it there. I’m not sure what “safety mode” is. Maybe someone else is smarter than me.

36. C says:

Any word on the song choices for tonight?

37. J. Griffith says:

that David 15 year old has no business being there on idol. he is so so bad. wow who is voting teenie boppers. very unfortunate