Fashion Police Put on Extended Hiatus in Wake of Exits, Controversies

Fashion Police Hiatus Fall 2015

The other Jimmy Choo has dropped.

In the wake of two successive, noisy exits that depleted Fashion Police‘s rejiggered panel by half, E! has put the snark-on-the-stars series on an extended hiatus, The Hollywood Reporter reports.

Fashion Police will return with a retooled cast — Giuliana Rancic and Brad Goreski are expected to stay on — sometime in the fall, in time for the Primetime Emmys (to be held Sept. 20).

Three episodes that were slated to be taped this spring, without either Kelly Osborne or Kathy Griffin, have been scrapped.

Osborne parted ways with Fashion Police in late February, after blasting Rancic’s questionable (though scripted) aprés-Oscars remarks about actress/singer Zendaya’s dreadlocks. Griffin — who was brought on to fill the void left by the late Joan Rivers — called it quits on March 12, saying that her style of comedy did not jibe with the show’s directive: “I felt forced to comment about pictures of beautiful women in perfect dresses and say kind of bad things.”

All of the above came on the heels of E!’s red carpet coverage coming under a greater scrutiny, as A-list celebs started to ridicule the ridiculous “Mani-Cam” gimmick and the #AskHerMore Campaign urged talking heads to ask actresses smarter, less-superficial questions — like those directed at male celebs.

Do you think E! made the right call? Who would you add to (or subtract from?) the cast for when the show returns in the fall?

1. Tran says:

With Kelly and Kathy out for good, where does Fashion Police go from here since the aftermath of the whole Giuliana-Zendaya fiasco?

• Lucifer says:

They will need to change the entire concept of the show, taking the comedy aspects out and going for clear cut fashion critique. Joan’s brand of humor (which Kathy and Kelly both promised to uphold, so people shouldn’t believe either one with their excuses) cannot be replicated so it’s best to just give a heavier focus on fashion. Only have people on who are either in the fashion industry or are very much into fashion. If that is the direction they go in, I think they could actually pull it off. But if it does not work out, E! should just call it quits and move on.

2. ed says:

why is this a problem? isnt her whole thing being mean for no reason?

• diane says:

Yeah, I thought her, Why was “Zendaya even there?” comments meaner.

• Dj says:

She was the one who said Zendaya hair smelled liked weed and then Giuliana repeated it. I believe the rumor that she wanted more power and wanted a say in who replaced Kelly and they told her no so she walked.

• TV Gord says:

Ah, the age of social media, when the word “rumor” has been redefined to mean something someone in a comment section dreamed up.

• kendoll says:

Really? So everyone else, even Giuliana, lied? I’m not buying what you’re selling.

3. Renee says:

Maybe we just don’t need this show anymore. How refreshing it might be to simply enjoy the beauty of the wearer and the garments.

4. Maru says:

Why go to an extendeded hiatus? I think it is better to cancel the show while the network can. I mean no Kathy no Kelly no reason to be on the air anyway. Give Giulana other jobs to do, enough with Fashion Police.

5. rachelb says:

they might as well cancel it while they’re at it

6. Renee says:

Kathy Griffin’s humor is not about tearing down women’s appearance. Rather, she finds the absurdity of their behavior and grinds into that instead (see Oprah, etc). Doesn’t surprise me that she left.

7. LADY_in_MD says:

They should get a panel of knowlegeble fashion experts who can still be funny not mean and comment on red carpet fashion

8. Sarah says:

I am tired of E! Too much Kardashian Krap and the more I watch Giuliana the more she gets on my nerves. Don’t get me started on Seacrest. Time to put this out to pasture. It really is not the same without Joan.

9. It’s almost like people are tired of seeing other people be mean for no reason.

10. TW says:

If you want celebrity fashion snark without the mean spirited commentary, try The Fug Girls site.

11. Lyn says:

Worth taking another stab at this fun show. The chemistry of the panel is paramount. How about rotating through a number of new co-hosts and see how they mesh. Something like what Kelly Rippa did to find her new co-host Michael. Possible winners who are fashionable, smart and sassy: Aisha Tyler, Famke Janssen, Victoria Zdrok, Kate Beckinsale, Aishwarya Rai, Cindy Crawford and Sharon Stone. How about a fashion mogul? I wonder if Stella McCartney would be interested?

12. arial2 says:

Without Joan, the show is flat. She had comedic timing that made her outrageous comments funny instead of outright cruel. I think, if E! plans to have a Fashion Police-like show return, they need a whole new group. It may just be me, but I always felt Giuliana never quite clicked as a panel member. She was either too mean or did too much fawning over E! stars (Kardashians) or her own idols, no matter what they wore.

• Mary says:

They need to revamp the show. It has to go in a totally different direction. Joan was one of a kind. Nobody can replace her, she was a comedian who could pull off mean and get away with it. I will tell you one thing if any of the Kardashians are on it I am out here. I gave Kathy a chance which I am not a big fan of but no way on the ones who make millions doing nothing.

13. Mama D says:

Yes, Thank God. Never will it be as it was with Joan Rivers. Let her and Fashion Police, both RIP. Enough with the fame whores.

14. T says:

I might be in the minority but I do want to see the show come back. I wish some how they could get George back and I like Giuliana and Brad. I want and expect them to put a little snark into it so that part has never bothered me. What did bother me was people who don’t know fashion very well which was Kelly and Kathy. Kelly use to parrot George and pretend she knew fashion and was doing the same to some extent with Brad. Kathy didn’t really seem to know much either. I enjoy seeing fashion that I might of missed during the week and certainly love the shows after awards shows.

• Lori says:

I’m with you! I like the show and thought they were usually on the mark for calling out the crazies and complimenting the A+ styles. I like Kathy but not enough fashion know how and I like Kelly but she got there because of Joan. Brad suits me fine, and G is second in command at E! so she’s not going anywhere. I bet if she hadn’t gone ahead with what was a terribly written “joke”, Kelly would have wandered off anyway and Kathy would have been let go. They had tons of great guest hosts, so should be able to find the right mix. I could care less about watching the award shows but I love the fashion focus so I hope the show continues in some form.

15. cjeffery7 says:

i think you’ve got to overhaul the show in order to keep it going. something about the format has to change as they don’t have the personalities at the moment to have it just be a sit around and chat type of show.

16. herman1959 says:

Just cancel it already.

17. Tricia James says:

There are options. Reba from, Shahs of Sunset, would be fabulous! Bevy Smith, Derrk J or Lawrence Washington, of Fashions Queens, would be fun and true for Fashion Police. You have so much better than NeNe Leakes, come on now.

18. triciabb57 says:

I would chose area, from Shahs of Sunset. Also, Derek J, Bevy Smith or Miss Lawrence would be perfect for Fashion Police. You have options and with all the drama NeNe Leakes brings, you’re asking for a whole different kind of trouble.

19. Amparo says:

I understood what Mrs. Rancic just explained. Behind a statement there is a story… those that make up stories for good or bad never take responsibility. Cowards and negative people don’t come forward. I am glad Mrs. Griffith is out. She did not belong there. Sorry for Osmond decision… but she just took a sad moment in the show to blow it out of proportion. Extremely immature. I understood her feelings for her friend but the drama was unneeded.
    When it comes to the gentleman :(… poor performance… extremely empty) and we want our Greek Stallion back.

I hope Mrs. Rancic stays… she represents fashion and good taste… just fitted so well with Joan Rivers comedy… Joan will never return but her show must stay… Again, I will love to see Wooppie in the show. She is the opposite to fashion… great sense of humor and with Rancic it will be a hit… put some color on the module…

20. Lonnie says:

This whole Zendaya episode is really a group of equalling, snarky crap. Zendayas hair was far from attractive, she is a very attractive girl and people this was “the fashion police”, please what else do you all expect; need i say more? However, I will, don’t make Juliana Rancik your scape goat, did she write her own script, think about that.

21. linda shafran says:

Giuliana Rancic has donated a great deal of her time rallying around women battling cancer. Neither “E” or her colleagues came to her defense. Her comments on Fashion Police were written for her and totally taken out of context. Wouldn’t blame her for not returning to the show. Why do people feel the need to pounce when there are unavoidable circimstances. Giuliana deserves to be vindicated. She handled this difficult situation with dignity and class.

22. Reblogged this on Fashionwidget and commented:
    Wow! & here I was thinking my DVR was boycotting the show.
    Sheesh!