The Originals' New Rebekah Talks Meeting Claire Holt, Future With Marcel

The Originals Spoilers

As Rebekah plays out The Originals‘ version of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers this Monday (The CW, 8/7c), you’ll be happy to know that newcomer Maisie Richardson-Sellers has a special supporter cheering her on from the sidelines: the original Rebekah, Claire Holt.

“I met her a couple weekends ago, by accident, actually,” Richardson-Sellers tells TVLine. “I was out with some of the writers in LA and she stopped by. We had a great chat about it all; she’s very warm, very welcome and very encouraging about the work I’ve been doing, which is great. She’s a sweetheart, and an amazing actress, so it’s a privilege for me to take on after her.”

Don’t worry, there’s photographic evidence of this blessed union of souls:

Below, the new face of Rebekah Mikaelson discusses her character’s (literal) inner demons, a new “dynamic” with Marcel and why we should all be afraid of Dahlia.

TVLINE | OK, set the stage for us: Rebekah/Eva just slashed that guy’s throat and stole his girlfriend’s powers, so what’s next?
[Laughs] Well, there’s definitely going to be a battle. The fact that she suddenly woke up as Eva at the end of the last episode with absolutely no warning is definitely a concern. And the more we discover more about this other character, we realize she’s pretty powerful.

The Originals SpoilersTVLINE | And let’s talk about Rebekah and Marcel. You and Charles Michael Davis certainly don’t lack chemistry. What can we expect there?
For the first time ever, Rebekah’s more vulnerable than Marcel. She’s always been the all-powerful Original, but now she’s in serious mortal danger, so it’s going to be interesting to see how that changes the dynamic between the two of them. He’s determined to figure out what’s going on, so they’ll be sending some time together. We’ll see what that means for the rest of their relationship as it continues.

TVLINE | You told me you watched the first season of The Originals to prepare for this role. How do you feel about Rebekah and Marcel’s current standings?
I’m really into the whole forbidden love thing, and Marcel is really the only one of Rebekah’s lovers Klaus hasn’t killed. He’s the one constant in her life, apart from her brothers, so I think their relationship is actually very tender and loving. They have a deep caring for each other, which really comes through in their scenes together. I’m excited to see how their relationship develops, but her being in a new body is going to make that a little awkward for her — there are going to be a lot of problems there.

TVLINE | I’m nervous about Dahlia’s arrival, but I feel like crazy-Rebekah is the perfect person to go up against her.
[Laughs] We’ll see about that soon enough. In the next episode, we learn more about Freya’s backstory with Dahlia, so we’ll know exactly who we’re dealing with and how serious the threat is. The fact that the family also has this Rebekah/Eva situation to deal with isn’t going to make it easy for any of them.

Originals fans, are you still pulling for Rebekah and Marcel? And are you as worried about Dahlia’s arrival as I am? Drop a comment with your take on Season 2 below.

1. WTF says:

I applaud Maisie for taking on the unenviable task of replacing the incredible Claire Holt. I’m sure she’s doing wonderful work but I’ll never be able to see anyone as Rebekah but Claire. Wish she’d come back so I can watch again.

2. Kristina says:

The new actress is doing a great job with Rebekah’s character, couldn’t ask for a better replacement. But I miss Claire Holt :(

3. Essie says:

I think Maisie is doing a wonderful job with the character. I loveeee Claire Holt so I still hope she will eventually return in the future.

4. LL says:

I think Maisie has been doing a great job, although Claire will always really be Rebekah for me. She’s been doing a good job under tough circumstances.

However, Matt, Stefan, and Damon are all still alive. Marcel isn’t the only lover Rebekah ever had who is still alive. I wish everyone remembered their past on TVD since they did exist before The Originals.

5. Ali says:

The only thing I worry about is Maisie’s new Pilot (Of Kings And Prophets). She’s booked a lead role, so if gets picked up, we’re probably going to lose her.

• Letti says:

I think we’ll lose her anyway. She must have got only a temporary contract. She’s truly great, I’ll be sad to see her go… Let’s hope this means Claire is coming back.

6. Leeah says:

She forgot about Damon, Stefan, and Matt. To be honest, Stefan was more of a constant of her life if we are getting technical. She hadn’t seen Marcel since the 20s with Stefan and then spent all that time in MF with him.

• jbj says:

It’s just that, if you think about it, outside of TVD, Bex hasn’t had many lovers. So when it comes to Klaus’ megalomania, 50/50 isn’t bad. He has TRIED to kill all of them, though.

• DJ says:

He has tried to kill all of them EXCEPT Marcel. He may have beat him around a bit, even bitten him, but he always comes around in the end to save Marcel. I think that’s the true difference and probably what she meant.

7. Dominique says:

the show did a wonderful and amazing job casting three new actors for characters who were played by others before.

• I agree. I actually prefer the new Finn and the new Kol to the old ones. They couldn’t have chosen a better replacement for Rebekkah but I still miss Claire. Even Sonya was a great replacement for the mother.

• Letti says:

I disagree. The only good choices are the new Finn and Rebekah for me. Maisie is totally like Claire and it’s great. And Yusuf makes Finn memorable and alive, something the original actor failed to achieve, though he only had 3 episodes. As for Daniel Sharman, he had some great moments, but he wasn’t … enough Kol-ish for me. Though now I have hopes for Nate Buzolic to return. Now Esther…. I really hate her current portayal. She was even more believable in Cassie’s body, than in Lenore. I think Sonja was pretty much miscast.

• Kristina says:

I really thought they missed the mark on Esther too.

• Sonja is a much better actress than the girl who played Cassie. It was painful to watch that young girl try to portray an ancient witch. Painful. I also didn’t like Nate Buzolic at all. His acting is a bit manic and forced. Daniel Sharman portrayed a much more interesting Kol.

8. I loved Claire Holt and was sad to see her go but Maisie is making her loss much more palatable than I thought she would.

9. Lizo says:

I really like this new change of direction. I adore Clare Holt (and will gladly welcome her back), but the show didn’t feel the same withou Rebekah and I’m glad they’re doing this. And by adding some more diversity to the VD world.

10. spindae2 says:

It’s strange how great Maise is channeling Claire Holt, her snarky spirit and never ending hope. Claire Holt gave Rebekah so much soul and this are very tough shoes to fill in, but Maise is a perfect replacement.

I hope Claire enjoyed this year off and comes back for a new season.

• Pearl says:

Right? There’s a weird feeling of seeing Claire inside Maise. She studied her very well. From the way to talk, walk, the expressions, they are all just like Claire would do it. Kudos to her!!!

11. BrianR says:

I want Claire Holt back.

12. Erin says:

New Rebekah? You mean new temporary Rebekah surely. I like her but I don’t want her to stick around for more than a season. Original is always best.

13. zed says:

2×16 was a very good episode. It was about the Original family and all of their paranoid, strong, vulnerable, cunning and so many other feels. The threat of Dahlia is actually exciting. And I can’t wait for the showdown. Something tells me that something bad will happen and Dahlia will take Hope, so we get into season 3 where they have to get her out of her clutches.

I also think Vincent will actually be of help. I so loved cami and him bonding, They have chemistry and it is so fresh!

Loved the scenes with Klaus and Elijah. It was almost like TVD days.

As for new actors- Maisie is doing a really great job, and as someone said she is really channeling Claire Holt, who is and always will be Rebekah. And I hope that we see her again down the line at least as a special guest star.

Also, Nate Buzolic should return in his role as Kol. He just gives Kol the edge that was so captivating. There is this mischevousness that he portraits in Kol that is so entertaining.

Maybe Bonnie Bennett could save the day – interesting crossover- after she consumes all the power from Kai, who also has travellers magic… seriously, TVD and Originals crossing over would be so welcoming.

14. Sarah says:

I like the new Rebekah she’s really sweet but I really really really miss Claire Holt because the original Rebekah looks better with Marcel and I totally ship them together they have a beautiful undying love!

15. dodata says:

Maisie Richardson-Sellers is doing a great job. The old Rebekah was good, but I don’t miss her. Fully ready for a new tempo here.

• dodata says:

I fully welcome as many Rebekah incarnations as it takes. Heck, Elijah and Nic can be recast. I would love for Nic to be helpless to do anything- he is too much on his own unbridled power trip. It would be wonderful to see him trapped in a more mortal body, helpless to properly defend his daughter, hopelessly reliant on the will and grit of others to achieve that which he wishes. I hope in the next two seasons Nic will be brought to his knee. He most often seems to be the top dog in the house, it’s tiring.

16. Missing the ORIGINAL Rebekah, hope there will be room for BOTH actresses in the future but the original has too much sass to be written out without throwing off the balance with the seriousness of her brothers.