Matt Bomer Joins Lady Gaga for American Horror Story: Hotel; Jessica Lange Confirms She's Officially 'Done'

American Horror Story Hotel Cast

Matt Bomer is checking into American Horror Story: Hotel, while franchise frontwoman Jessica Lange is officially out.

White Collar alum Bomer has been tapped to star opposite Lady Gaga in the latest installment of the anthology series, it was announced Sunday at the FX hit’s PaleyFest panel.

Additionally, Cheyenne Jackson (30 Rock, Glee) has also joined the Hotel ensemble. There’s no word on the characters Bomer and Jackson will be playing.

Also during the PaleyFest panel, Lange confirmed her decision to not partake in the fifth season, telling the crowd, “Yes, I’m done.” She added: “We’ve had a great run here. I mean, I absolutely loved doing these four characters” in the original/Murder House, Asylum, Coven and Freak Show editions.

Bomer’s Hotel stay brings him back into the Horror Story fold following his guest stint in last season’s Freak Show. It also extends his working relationship with AHS exec producer Ryan Murphy; the pair’s past collaborations also include The Normal HeartGlee and The New Normal.

AHS: Hotel begins production this summer.

1. wrstlgirl says:

OMG!!!!

2. Arlene says:

damn, now i’ll have to watch

3. Kris says:

I love this show! Can’t wait!

4. abz says:

BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!!!! Really missed him since White Collar ended. Hope it’s for more than one episode this time. Just got that much more excited for the upcoming season. :)

5. zac says:

refreshing to see new faces. i love sarah paulson and jessica lange but I’m starting to get tired of seeing them play characters who pretty much have the same intentions as the ones they played before.

• I agree. I think that Jessica Lange is one of the finest actresses out there but it seemed that the only difference between some of her characters was the accent. She actually made some of the characters much more nuanced than they were written because she is such a brilliant actress but a woman can only do so much.

Fresh blood, especially the fresh blood of Bomer, should infuse the show with some needed new energy. I just hope that Lady Gaga doesn’t eff it all up.

6. Whitewraithe says:

I’m sorry to hear Matt Bomer has sunk to the depths of AHS, the most disturbing show on television. I’ve never watched the show and I won’t now even with Bomer.

7. Mary S says:

I have never watched this show. Not even a preview of it. BUT, I might have to tune in at least once, just to see how they handle Matt Bomer’s personality in conjunction with a HORROR story…He played Neal Caffrey so perfectly and with such natural good humor that I am curious about what kind of character they will have him portray…unless all that good humor was just really excellent acting…I am curious how adorable dimples fit into a horror story.

• S McMary says:

I’ve never watched AHS either although my nieces are huge fans. Like you, however, Matt Bomer may be enough of a reason to check it out, especially if it’s a fairly substantial role. While I admit it would be strange seeing the actor I loved as Neal Caffrey play a horror villain, I have no doubt he can pull it off. Of course, Ryan Murphy might cast him as the hero but that usually isn’t how he works. He tends to like to turn certain conceptions on their head. TBH, I’ve never gotten into any of Ryan Murphy’s shows but I appreciate the fact that he seems to have established his own repertory of actors that he works with again and again. The fact that said actors come back to work with him says a lot as well.

• Ray says:

Who says Bomer will be playing a villain? There is no word on his character yet.

• S McMary says:

True, but like I said, Ryan Murphy seems to like to take viewers’ perceptions of actors and turn them on their head so it wouldn’t surprise me if he was cast as the villain. And even if he was cast as the hero, so to speak, he would probably be a somewhat twisted hero. Again, I’ve only seen a handful of his shows but aside from a few exceptions, his characters always seem a little… off to me. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but I’m pretty sure we won’t be getting Matt Bomer as we’ve seen him before. And that can be a good thing, especially for the actor. Either way, I will probably check it out.

8. Kalee says:

Bomer, Jackson, and Gaga!? Is this hotel set in Fire Island?

BRB, imagining this campy scenario.

9. Eric says:

I am very excited by this news. I think it’s crucial for the show to switch things up at this point. Even though everyone seemed to hate Freak Show, it was personally my favorite season. However, I did get the feeling that a lot of it felt like fan service from season 3. Essentially the entire cast returned (with the all-star cast they have, that’s not necessarily a bad thing), it was shot very similarly (again, not a bad thing), and had a lot of the same sort of writing style as the third season. This didn’t make the season bad (as I stated before, it was my favorite), but I did feel like it shared too much with season 3 (my least favorite season), which left me with a bad taste in my mouth. For a show like this to work, things need to drastically change each season, and the casting and theming so far indicates that this is very much the case for this season. I am so very excited for one of my favorite shows to come back, and this news just makes me anticipate it even more :)

10. amysue4772 says:

Crap now I have to find time to watch this show

11. AnnieM says:

I really, really hope Finn Wittrock will be in this cast, also. He made Dandy the best part of Freak Show, IMHO.

• wrstlgirl says:

I couldn’t agree more. Dandy was awesome!!!! Now every time I see Finn Whittcock in anything I always yell “Dandy”, LOL.

• Belle says:

Did you ever see Normal Heart on HBO? He gave a heartbreaking performance (actually everyone involved with NH was superb). It was the first time I noticed him and then he showed up on AHS.

12. I am going to miss Jessica! Loved her characters!!

13. Matt says:

No!! I’ll miss Lange… Wish she would’ve done a small role at least

14. KC says:

So happy about this! Love Matt and Gaga! Really looking forward to this.
    Ryan Murphy always takes care of the people he works with and keeps bringing them back for other roles.

15. Lana says:

I’ll miss Jessica terribly. It just won’t be the same without her. My hope is that they can lure her back when they reach the final season. We know all the seasons are connected, so it wouldn’t be right to end it without her.

16. jasie says:

Anyone hope Ryan Murphy adds Jessalyn Gilsig to this cast? He used her on both Nip Tuck and Glee. Would love to see her iN AHS.

• abz says:

She’d be fun. I think Anjelica Huston would be an interesting choice as well.

• Belle says:

I thought about the following actresses: Glenn Close, Annette Benning or Michelle Pfeiffer. I know Glenn and Annette would knock it out of the park but I thought it would be great to see Michelle out of her comfort zone. I think she would surprise everyone and that is a good thing.

• jasie says:

Id enjoy all three of these actresses.

• abz says:

Glenn Close would be amazing. Watching her freakouts in Damages alone were terrifying sometimes.
          I’m all for a complete shake-up of the cast. I enjoyed a lot of them, but this type show has the luxury to make large cast changes and they should take advantage of it to keep things fresh. Of course I’d still love to see Sarah Paulson, Frances Conroy and Finn Wittrock and a few others in some capacity but I could do without a lot of them, Emma Roberts and Taissa Farmiga especially.

• AnnieM says:

I would love to see Michelle Pfeiffer!

• Ray says:

She’s on The Vikings now, I think.

17. Frank says:

Ryan Murphy should add Linda Gray to the cast. She would be perfect in the AHS series.

18. David4 says:

Best cast ever.

19. Timot says:

I am very happy that Matt Bomer going to join the cast of American Horror Story! season 5 should be quite interesting. Along with Lady Gaga as well!

20. Amber says:

what about the rest of the cast? are any of them returning?

21. abz says:

Since they started the whole “seasons are connected” thing, I’m guessing they could have Frances Conroy or Alexandra Breckenridge play Moira again as a hotel maid.

22. JBC says:

I’m good with this news. LOVE the very talented Matt Bomer, and curious to see Lady Gaga. Loved her performance at the Oscars, really showcased her talent. Hopefully Bomer’s character will have a better fate than his character in Freak Show did. Wish Ryan Murphy would have Matt Bomer and LG sing in the series, both being wonderful singers.

23. Julia says:

I’m perfectly fine with Jessica Lange moving on. Hopefully the new actors will help with the creativity of the new season. I am fully confident in Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer carrying the season.

24. thisismenow says:

No Lange + Adding Gaga is reason enough to check out of AHS: Hotel. I might be swayed if Lily Rabe were to return.

25. IMHO says:

I’ll be checking into AHS Hotel.
    I think it’s time for a new lead ,love love love what Jessica Lange has brought to the show for 4 season but I’m looking forward to Gaga and Bomer.
    I do hope some of the other regular players return like Evan Peters, Denis O’Hare ,Sarah Paulson , Lily Rabe ,Emma Roberts and Taissa Farmiga.

26. dj says:

I’ll definitely miss Jessica Lange. I wonder if any of the other regulars will be back.

27. Bunny says:

I am so distressed that Jessica Lange isn’t returning as she IS “American Horror Story”. I so enjoyed watching the original cast change with each new story! Bring her back….Please?

28. Tonia says:

Going to miss Jessica Lang, she’s an amazing actress, and was AWESOME in the roles that she played. Makes me sad that she won’t be back…..