Was Bachelor Too Dirty? Is Rick Grimes Out of Line? Did Boat Make a Boo-Boo? Loud Empire Lullaby? And More TV Qs

Glee Samuel Larsen

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Glee, The Bachelor, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Empire and The 100!

1 | Of all the guest stars on last week’s Glee, might the return of a dreadlock- less Joe have been the most shocking? (Seriously, where has he been all this time? Hiding his hair from E!’s Fashion Police?)

2 | For those children of the ’80s savoring (not binging) Netflix’s Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Did the use of a Baby-Sitters’ Club book as a key plot point make you feel a bit nostalgic for Kristy, Stacey, Mary Anne, Claudia and the crew?

3 | On Once Upon a Time, did Regina waxing nostalgic about “when it was just [Henry] and me, Robin and Roland” come off as a bit disingenuous? (In the course of saving Storybrooke from the Snow Queen during Season 4A, how much time could that ersatz family possibly have spent together?) On the flip side, was it nice to see continuity acknowledged when flashback Maleficent commended Charming on recognizing her, given her different look during the Season 1 finale?

4 | Why did The Good Wife’s The Good Wifefaux Will have 25 percent more hair than Josh Charles ever did? Wouldn’t a hairline, versus profile, be easier to match? Or was Alicia’s vision supposed to sound like Will but look like credit card guy?

5 | How big a skeeze does it make The Walking Dead’s Rick that he’s begun pretty blatantly flirting with a married woman? And were you surprised that the show didn’t do a cutaway to Sam-with-wet pants after Carol was done threatening the poor kid?

6 | Is Revenge staging an Everwood reunion? We could swear that picture of Ben’s ex-wife looked an awful lot like Emily VanCamp’s former co-star, Sarah Lancaster. RevengeAnd are those real dolphins in the background?!

7 | As much as we love seeing him pop up in our favorite shows, is West Wing alum Bradley Whitford old enough to be playing dad to Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s Jake Peralta?

8 | With the introduction of January Jones’ character at the very end of Sunday’s Last Man on Earth, is the comedy once promoted as a one-man show getting too crowded?

9 | Are you disappointed that Togetherness went there with Michelle and David in the season finale? Was it necessarily inevitable, or just a juicy way to bookend Season 1?

10 | Discuss: Would HBO’s The Jinx have had the popularity it does had NPR’s Serial podcast not primed the true-crime pump?

11 | Did Amy Schumer’s set during Comedy Central’s Night of Too Many Stars autism benefit make you wish Season 3 of her show would hurry up and get here?

The bachelor12 | Would it have killed The Bachelor producers — or the titular farmer himself — to clean the dirt from under his fingernails before “shopping” for rings? Also, has there been a less-suspenseful “Who will he pick?” finale in franchise history?

13 | Seriously, The Fosters‘ Stef, you kept a secret file on the shared laptop desktop and didn’t even give it a vague title?

14 | Regarding The Returned’s young Camille: Sure, Mom is understandably speechless. Dad, stunned. And maybe the shrink doesn’t want to alarm the girl. But really, none of the first people she runs into remarks, “We thought you were dead”?

15 | If Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Lady Sif had amnesia and only remembered bits of her childhood on Asgard, how was she familiar with the contemporary human retort, “Shut. Up!”?

16 | In a bit of rather obvious product placement on Fresh Off the Boat, did anyone else notice that the Pop Tarts box Eddie brought to Jessica came right off a modern-day store shelf despite the show being set in 1995 (see inset)?

17 | Were you pleased or disappointed to learn The Mindy Project‘s central couple are having a boy? (And what do you imagine was Mindy’s initial reaction to the sex reveal?)

18 | Are you hoping Switched at Birth actually makes “Batter Up” into a real musical? And does it remind you of Smash‘s “The National Pastime” number?

19 | How inconspicuously, would Person of Interest have us believe, could a hobbled Flashback Finch have affixed a bomb to the underside of his target’s car? Also: Reese and the shrink — do we want that to happen?

20 | OK, let’s get theorizing: What do you think happened between Chicago Fire‘s Severide and Dr. April Sexton?Empire

21 | Given how unrelentingly controlling Empire’s patriarch is, wasn’t it strange that Lucious let Lola leave with her mother once their secret connection had been revealed? Oh, and speaking of the tot: Who in history has ever been soothed to sleep by aggressive hip-hop? Finally, shouldn’t Derek Luke aka Malcolm be a front- runner for People’s next Sexiest Man Alive?

22 | On The 100, did you get Lost/hatch flashbacks when Murphy discovered the bunker?

23 | With the 12th-place ouster of Sarina Joi-Crowe this week, is it possible American Idol will eliminate contestants from most- to least-vocally talented this season, rather than the other way around?

24 | Was The Vampire Diaries‘ Humanity-Free Caroline channeling the episode where Buffy and Faith swap bodies?

25 | Huck’s family on Scandal sure went from screaming/calling the cops at the sight of him to spaghetti dinners and kisses-at-the-doorstep pretty quick, eh? Also: Anyone else picturing George Costanza’s fiancee (R.I.P.) every time “Susan Ross” gets mentioned?

1. Bianca says:

Regina didn’t have to mean they all spent that much time together – they didn’t have many chances – but having the three of them in her life was when she felt happiest. When she had Robin and Roland and finally broke the curse and Henry remembered her; she was truly happy.

2. 7: BW is 19 years older than AS, so technically, he COULD be his father. heh

20: I got the feeling that it had more to do with the new (old) guy because she cooled off immediately when Severide mentioned him.

• Erin B says:

For #20, I agree that she seemed friendly & then withdrew when he mentioned their other high school friend. Maybe he did something to her that Severide doesn’t know about…yet.

3. Viv says:

15. No answer to that question, but I have another one [spoiler]: is Mack going to store Hunter just in the trunk or what is he thinking? I mean, not that anyone would raise an eyebrow if Hunter just disappeares, because that would be part of his character, but still… and, I rewatched a few episodes yesterday and Hunter said in one episode that he thought Bobby vouched for him, because she runs something and she knows that, if she needed support, he would always be on her side. And Mack then tells her “On no, he could kill you” and that´s that? (and I honestly think something is up with Mack, but maybe just because I didn´t liked him very much in the last two episodes). I didn´t like the whole secret thing (although I really like Hunter since he first appeared, which probably means that they will kill him off), but I´m very intrigued now…

4. Mel says:

7 – Why, yes. Whitford is 55, Samberg is 36. Granted, that would make Whitford 19 when Samberg was born, but it is feasible.

• Allee says:

I’m guessing Jake Peralta is probably supposed to be a little bit younger than Andy Samberg.

• mangolovenet says:

Yes, you’re correct. I believe Jake is supposed to be 33. He mentions missing out on a dance with a girl during his Bar Mitzvah (13), then finally getting a chance to dance with her 20 years later. If they keep Whitford’s age, he would’ve had Jake when he was 22.

• LOL says:

I’m just sick of the teen parent excuse being used for every modern TV parent when it’s just an excuse to cast attractive young parents instead of actual age appropriate ones.

5. Mary says:

Re: Question #7: Per imdb.com, Bradley Whitford was born in 1959 and Andy Samberg was born in 1978, so technically, yes, Whitford is old enough to play Andy’s father.

6. MrMank says:

14 It’s not simply that Camille showed up alive after 4 years. She showed up, completely unaged, with seemingly no recollection as to what happened to her. No idea that her parents split up. I’d say yeah, it’s kinda smart that they’re not spilling the beans just yet.

7. gemapet says:

23: Yes. That Daniel boy may win it all, it seems…. Not happy about who was voted off, not only this week, but last week and leaving Savion out of the top 24 sucked too. Fast forwarded through a bunch of last night’s show….

8. cej says:

24. YES!!!! And I immediately thought of soul-less Angel when I saw Stefan in the preview for next week!

9. Erica says:

On Cougartown, have Laurie and Travis forgotten they have a newborn infant when they are sitting in a bar all day? (I like to pretend Stan is just in school all of the time. Its a harder to ignore the baby hasn’t been mentioned at all in like, whole episodes

• Shar says:

It’s okay, the baby is being watched by Ross & Rachel’s daughter who also magically could take care of herself.

• Em says:

They like to throw kids in there to make people relatable and then forget that kids are actually needing a lot of attention and therefore distracts from the plot. So I think kids on shows all have nannies or something.

10. herman1959 says:

(7) As noted by a previous poster, there is a 19 year difference between the two, so it is somewhat believable. What makes it even more so is that Jake comes off a lot younger (or should I more immature) than Adam Sandler’s 36 years.

11. Ian says:

5. I’m gonna defend Rick and say the flirting seems pretty much two-sided. And in a zombie apocolypse, I’m sure “married woman” means the same anymore. Especially when the man she’s married to is a complete douche.

12. bigdede says:

There is no way I’m going to believe Lucious would let Olivia just take Lola with her. Not once has Lucious ever shown himself to be that kind of man. I refuse to believe all these years Lucious let Olivia go without trying to track down his daughter

• Maxsmom says:

I can’t imagine how Olivia got into such trouble in the first place since surely Lucious should have been supporting her all these years. Was there ever a paternity test? Where exactly were Olivia and Lola going? Jamal went from, “I am going to raise her” to see you whenever in 24 hours? I love this show and the March 11 installment was breathtaking but also a disappointment.

13. Kim R says:

4. The Good Wife – For me it was the nose. They clearly did not consider the nose! :)

• Allee says:

He looked nothing like Will, but I wondered if that was intentional — for him to seem like he could have been Will, Finn, or Jonathan.

• fiberlicious says:

There was nothing in that profile that even vaguely resembled Josh Charles. I found it very distracting.

14. Allee says:

I was surprised Mindy was having a boy. I’d imagine her first reaction was disappointment, if only because they’ve previously discussed that Mindy wants more than one child while Danny wants only one. If he gets the gender he wants on the first try, he’s less likely to give in. Of course, it’s not like THIS pregnancy was planned.

15. LOL says:

6. Thought the same thing and upon researching it, yup Sarah Lancaster is Ben’s ex wife. That girl is always riding Emily’s jock.

16. Spence says:

Thank you for bringing up Camille on the Returned, I thought everyone’s reactions to her return was so weird and inaccurate!

17. labpar01 says:

Give Rick a break. He has PTSD, the whole place is completely unreal and he must feel like he is in a dream. Jessie seemed to like him alright before and after the kiss. He also is extremely hot and the best looking man in the place.

18. Nick says:

Rick seemed skeezy to us, maybe, but the rules of that world are different. Plus, I’m certain Rick has some instincts that are triggered about her husband. So I don’t really think that much less of him, all in all.

19. A fan of TV says:

2. I binged Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt but still appreciated the BSC references, AND how that brought Xanthippe down a peg! I always related best to Kristy and Dawn, for the record :)

5. I thought both Carol and Rick’s actions this week really blurred the lines on who the good guys really are. Obviously, we think it’s our core group, but with the exception of the likes of Aidan and (maybe) Jess’ doctor husband, no one at Alexandria seems that dangerous, stupid, or violent quite yet…

14. I’m really liking the Returned remake, but right now it’s literally scene-for-scene with the French version so nothing is surprising (and I dearly hope they make at least some plot changes regarding things that happen towards the end of the season). This Camille got the same treatment as her French counterpart.

17. I didn’t have a preference re: baby C, because I thought either could be mined for good comedy!

22. Yes. But then again the show gives me Lost flashbacks any time Kane/Desmond is on screen, anyway. Maybe in season 3 at the Ice Nation someone will shoot a polar bear, and then we can have the trifecta (unless the trifecta is already accomplished with the whole ‘survival in a strange land/camping gone crazy’ viba both shows are based in).

20. M says:

3 | The Regina thing was bad. All across the fandom, viewers are baffled. It’s almost like the OUAT writers room failed math. Oh, wait, they’ve been sucking at that since Season 1!

4 | In fantasies men give their lovers bigger boobs. Women give them more hair.

5 | Very skeezey. Which is worse, Rick and a married woman or Regina and a married man (spoilers to negate the creepy adultery storyline that turned off viewers notwithstanding)? Carol threatening Sam or Regina threatening Pinocchio?

7 | Hollywood: No Country for Old Men.

8 | They should have done at least six episodes of JUST Phil. Adding people is ruining the premise.

10 | Maybe not. Although I think True Detective got people interested in crime stories again. On the other hand, not loving American Crime. Weird camera work. Kinda boring.

17 | Disappointed. Danny and a girl would be far more interesting than Mindy and a boy.

20 | Severide must have hung with her when his dad was being a deadbeat. Other than that, I’m getting a little tired of Severide’s past.

21 | OOC for Lucious unless he’s got some other plan. LOL, I know right? Did they slip the kid some Scissor? Sexiest Man Alive for sure! I’d vote for him!

24 | Every fantasy show ends up channeling an episode of Buffy. It’s from flattery to laziness, IMO.

21. Amanda says:

16–Yes! I hate when there’s obvious flaws like that.

22. Cookely says:

Didn’t think Serena was all that.

23. 20. I thought April was a nurse?

24. Kel says:

#19- No to Reese and Iris. For one its majorly unethical. She’s good at getting him to talk, but that’s her job. Other than that there’s not much interesting about her and them dating really wouldn’t work with how the show is set up. I don’t see any sexual chemistry there, and also I don’t trust her for some reason. She’s a little too good to be true and I’ve felt just somethings a little off since her very first appearance. Reese and Zoe though make a ton of sense. Loads of chemistry, both have very unconventional lives and I think there’s more there that either would ever admit. They’re good for each other.

• Caseym says:

Agreed, but I hope they’re going *somewhere* with the whole Reese and Iris thing, because they’ve wasted a HUGE amount of time with it. Maybe she’s out for revenge for Simmons (one of her many many cop relatives?) Or working for Decima — i don’t care what, as long as we’re not supposed to believe it ends in happily ever after

And post Caroline Turing, are we really supposed to believe the Reese and Finch both got stupid and didn’t run a painfully thorough background check on her? I hope they know exactly what she’s up to and they’re playing her.

But POI has been so sloppily written later (see Finch, wheelchair, bomb) that I’m not really hopeful that this will ever make any sense. .

25. jbj says:

12 – It’s more cringe-worthy that a man who works with manure is a nail-biter.

26. Lerbert says:

6. Real or not this screen shot is the best.

27. mia says:

24 totally was. Loving humanity free Caroline and Enzo telling her no was awesome love that guy

28. Mommaknowsbest60 says:

Did anyone else think they saw Criminal Minds’ Derek’s girlfriend wearing a doctor’s coat that had the last name “Morgan” embroidered on it??

29. delfiteblu says:

20) I can’t imagine but it seems to be something SHE remembers well and he is totally clueless. The obvious answer is that he cheated on her but He’d have been aware of that. Clearly the scene is a setup to integrate Chi Fire with the new Chi Med. Whatever it was I hope it doesn’t make us hate him. 25) I was pretty surprised with Huck and the family dinner. I NEVER, since it came on, have missed a week of Scandal and it seems to me that the last time he had any interaction with them was when Huck took him someplace; a big FACTORY or something?? I can see it in my head; just not enugh to connect. And I was definitely shocked at his wife being so sweet to him. EVEN A GOODNIGHT KISS???? Wasn’t that long ago that he was tossing pebbles on the son’s windows to get a chance to see him.

BUT……… I also can’t help but think that nothing is ever as it appears on Scandal and someone might have gotten to her about the the B613 files. Just seems a really ballsy thing to do – you’re just beginning to reconcile w/your husband and you have access (???) to secret files containing the reason you WERE apart, as well as instant access to the Attorney General of the US and you go to him and tell him that your husband TOLD you about the bad stuff and with these files he can do away with it…………. that didn’t make sense in the Shondaland subdivision where *I* live!!

30. Bwhit says:

13) This Callie thing with Stef seems to be more about beating Robert Quinn at this point in my opinion.
    20) I’m going to guess he messed around with anything that walked (because it is Severide) but couldn’t do a relationship with her because she meant more to him but he was in high school and didn’t want to deal with it. Severide may get around but he is not a mean guy. I thought her name was supposed to be Maggie Seaver, not that I’m complaining April Sexton works better and doesn’t conflict with Growing pains!

31. ChicagoDan says:

21. I thought Olivia told Jamal ‘you still could be’ (LOLA’s) father when she was leaving. I got the impression that Lucious was using the Baby Daddy ‘confession’ as a ruse to save Cookie. And, isn’t the real question: why hasn’t a DNA test happened yet? C’mon this is the 10s, not the 80s!

32. Bill says:

8: He still is the last MAN standing, the new characters being women, so the premise still stands.

33. Ben says:

#17: Very disappointed that Danny and Mindy are having a baby. Doesn’t the introduction of a baby tend to ruin sitcoms? Also, I find it hard to believe that two OBGYNs would become pregnant accidentally.

34. Sarah says:

6 – Yes, Sarah Lancaster will be on this Sunday’s episode.

35. Meg123 says:

19) POI simply has become a stupid show. Now all of a sudden they wanna go ROMANCE? Hey they had Carter & Reese, both of them made click, their chemistry rocks and now they are forcing us to see something between Reese and this – very boring shrink? I’m sorry but i do not FEEL those two at all. They should return to Reese being the Man in the Suit. Nothing more and nothing less, because the show needs it BADLY.

21) Sadly i’m getting tired of EMPIRE already. It was fresh as it started, but right now i’m losing interest in this show. The writing is starting to annoy me and all these useless guest stars getting on my nerves. I would love to find out more about the characters instead of hearing guest stars perfom bad songs….and Cookie & Malcolm? I still am trying to figure out when he had fallen for her…..

36. Maxsmom says:

#20. YaYa/Dr. April is my least favorite ANTModel contestant ever but she seems to be the most successful. She’s a talented actress, works steadily and now the potential love interest of Kelly Severide, the best looking man on television. You Go Girl Indeed!

37. Maxsmom says:

I am in love with Unbreakable but I can’t imagine it on network television, I watch 2 or 3 eps. at a time and have 3 left, my 6 year old isn’t interested in the show but we jam on the theme every time

38. Kim (@AD76) says:

22) Yes! Especially since they also played music like Lost did. I thought, “Desmond is in the wrong location!”

39. onlyakb says:

Yay, someone else saw the Buffy & Faith vibe in Caroline, hahaha!!