Ratings: Vampire Hits Low, Idol and ABC Dramas Slip, Slap Swap Hurts NBC

Vampire Diaries Ratings Low

On this first Thursday of Daylight Saving Time, when TV usage was down 7 percent across the board….

ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy drew 7.4 million total viewers and a 2.1 demo rating, slipping 9 and 12 percent week-to week. Scandal (8.3 mil/2.6) was down 13 percent, while American Crime (5.8 mil/1.4) fell 30 percent from its bow.

Elsewhere….

CBS | Pending adjustments due to ACC basketball tourney coverage: Big Bang (16.1 mil/4.4) dipped 11 and 8 percent, while Odd Couple (10.7 mil/2.6) slipped 14 and 13 percent. Mom (9.2 mil/2.3) dropped a few eyeballs but ticked up in the demo, while Elementary (7.8 mil/1.5) gained two tenths.

FOX | American Idol (8.1 mil/1.7) was down 14 and 23 percent week-to-week.

NBC | Dateline: The Real Blacklist (or whatever it’s called) premiered to 4.5 mil and a 0.8, up in audience while matching the rating of The Slap‘s last turn in the time period (3.9 mil/0.8). The Blacklist (7.3 mil/1.7) slipped 11 percent and a tenth. The Slap christened its new 10 o’clock slot with 2.9 mil/0.6, down 12 and 25 percent from Allegiance‘s week-ago numbers.

THE CW | Vampire Diaries (1.33 mil/0.6) dipped a tenth to a new series low, while Reign (1 mil/0.4) was flat.

1. Tran says:

Last night’s Blacklist blew me away and kudos to Lance Henriksen for his guest starring role even though some people may remember him as Bishop from ALIENS (directed by James Cameron). Don’t know if CBS is going to renew The Odd Couple since the news broke that Mom, Mike & Molly and 2 Broke Girls are returning for their respective seasons. Guess we’ll wait and see during the upfronts come May if any of the three returning CBS sitcoms are going to be placed on Mondays and/or Thursdays next season.

2. Patrick says:

NBC was stupid to run Blacklist vs conf Tournament hoops. That is watched by tons of males, who probably make up a good portion of Blacklist. Given the ready availability of DVRs and on Demand, it was going to take a huge hit in viewers.

• Tran says:

Hope next week that the NCAA March Madness Tournament is going to topped Blacklist & Scandal as does the following week (March 26th).

• KatsMom says:

It was basically a glorified clip show this week though. What little important information was given this week will easily be covered with a short “Previously on” bit at the beginning of the next new episode.

• herman1959 says:

Ditto, this episode was a catch-up/filler. If you’ve been watching all season, you missed nothing last night. I watched it wondering why the entire time.

• MP says:

I felt the same way. For me, it was the worst Blacklist episode I’ve ever watched and I was bored. And I generally really like the show and look forward to it each week.

3. ondemand says:

ummmmm I certainly HOPE that the Blacklist moves back to Monday’s next year. NBC is KILLING this show on Thursday at a time, scary.

4. wrstlgirl says:

LOL at The Vampire Diaries. Sorry, can’t help it. That show just needs to end already. The Slap was a pretty good episode although I still have no idea where this show is going. It’s hardly even about Harry hitting the kid anymore. I’m only watching because I know it is a limited series with and ending.

5. Letti says:

I’m so happy everytime TVD hits a new low. That’s what you get for ruining this once awesome story.

• Kar says:

Word! Delena and these past few years ruined the show that used to be great.

• Joanne says:

I know. Just because 100 fans (with no life but a fictional couple) robot vote 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, they think that’s all viewers want. It’s the same people being obsessed on social media all the time, but it’s not the greater picture of viewers wanting more from a supernatural vampire show than a teen soap opera.

• WayneAdneyC says:

It started out great and then they broke from a solid state and just went in too many chaotic directions…but spending a whole season practically on one plot like the Elena/Catherine possession thing which for a small episode arch yes…long-term no.

• Fabian says:

I stopped watching once they killed Katherine. She was the one good thing left in the show and then they tried to ruin her character

• Kim&Bey says:

Boo hoo, things didn’t go your way and you been sulking for lord know how many years… you are all a bunch of sad cases…grow up will you.
      Even the great Empire was brought down a peg this week because of DST. Get with the flow or bugger off!

6. Kar says:

When do we stop blaming DST? Empire went up in viewers Wednesday night. DST didn’t affect that show but affects all of Thursday?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It’s just a week-long limited event series I am running. And no one is “blaming,” just offering a best possible context to digest the numbers.

• ChicagoDan says:

And AI on Wednesday was up. DST is in effect eight months out of year in most of country – standard time only four months. It seems like we should be calling it the ‘standard time boost.’

• GuessWhat says:

agreed…it’s still cold here. even with the extra hour of sunlight, I am not hanging out on my street corner. ha.

7. Elizabeth says:

When does this college basketball March Madness stuff end? It’s getting in the way of my tv. Last it pre-empted TVD and Reign and tonight it’s pre-empting Hawaii Five-0 and Blue Bloods.

• johnhelvete says:

This week is the conference tournaments and they end on Sunday morning. CBS airs the NCAA tournament which means shows that air on Thursday and Friday will not be on for two weeks starting Thursday March 19.

8. Dave says:

i wanna understeand, why this week nobody watched tv?

9. Boiler says:

Continues to be time to keep Hart of Dixie. Course rerun tonite:(

10. sara says:

And NBC ended Parenthood for this????

• schu says:

My thoughts too, although I’m still appreciative of the fact that Phood knew what was coming and ended strong. It is disappointing though to think it could have had a full 22 episode season because obviously nothing else has proven to do better in its place for NBC.

11. bigdede says:

Its the storylines thats hurting Grey’s and Scandal. Like who really cheering for Owen and Amelia? Owen is super boring and annoying. Amelia was cute at first but these last few episodes about that darn tumor sucked! And that idiotic kidnapping storyline ruined Scandal. So foreign nations would pay billions of dollars for a woman who was in charge of media relations for 2 years at the white house? Does the foreign nations know about Fitz and Olivia because that’s how the show made it to look. Not one time did the kidnappers say the wanted Olivia Pope cause she’s a fixer and may know some people secrets. No it was only about The President and white house.

• Patty Fraser says:

Grays will continue to go down Owen and Alex cant carry females interest, we need McDreamy back. The interaction between Merideth and Derrick is the base of the show and a good cheating storyline with him at home would be awesome. The sister or step sister most annoying actress she was in Emily Owens too. The whole brain tumor arc was BORING. Shanda is getting tired I think because the Scandal auction for Liv and the next few episodes were boring. Greys is going in the tank, either brink Derek back or find a new hot young doctor that can start a new story line that catches our interest.
      And get Olivia back to doing what Olivia does. This show was awesome and is now floating off somewhere weird

12. Sara says:

TVD was bumped where I live for stupid basketball. I’m sure that didn’t help much.

13. bryan says:

American Crime is a gem with great casting and camera work. Script is bold and raw. Hope more people will realize how hard it is to have such a good show on ABC.
    Blacklist is all Spader. He is amazing in controlling every scene. I am hooked every second!

14. 221bsam says:

Hmm, I love TVD & thought it was a great episode, I don’t affect ratings though ;)
    I know lot of people were annoyed by Ian Somerhalder at the weekend (myself included)~ his “please separate real life from TV” sermon & “oh hey look, here’s my real life fiancé that has no reason to be on stage with me at a TVD con” looks like they put their money where their mouth is… you want to put people’s back up & act like a hypocrite? you reap what you sow (PS I could not give a monkeys about his personal life)

15. Maryann says:

So The Slap is down 25% in the ratings from Allegiance’s numbers? Makes sense to me. I never made it past the previews on The Slap, but I was sold on Allegiance. At least NBC is airing the remaining episodes of Allegiance on their website.

• prish says:

I loved Allegiance. Hopefully, NBC/Comcast will change it’s mind and continue the show…hope springing eternal, here.

• prish says:

Thanks for telling us about the remaining Allegiance episodes being shown on line. I’m watching it, now. Thanks, again.

• JBC says:

I miss Allegiance too. Hopefully we will see all the remaining episodes. I enjoyed the fast paced action and the characters. Wish NBC would give it another chance. The Slap never interested me.

• JBC says:

Glad to know nbc onlne has the remaining episodes. Thanks for the tip.

16. Fabian says:

People should give The Slap a chance. I really enjoyed last night’s episode. I think the previews misrepresented what the show actually is.

17. Beth says:

I’ve officially deleted Scandal from my DVR.. kind of sad bc it used to be AMAZING. Grey’s isn’t too far behind.

18. Joanne says:

New lows? Not surprised about TVD. That’s what happens when you turn a once interesting show into purely an obsession for shippers…and nasty shippers at that. I feel sorry for Ian Somerhalder. I thought his direction was great this episode. But time to move on, TVD can’t be helped.

• mangolovenet says:

If I could somehow give you virtual props on your comment, I would! You’ve said it best for me. I once loved the show for its breakneck storytelling pace coupled with some good character development. I think the show suffered from focusing all their energy into the love triangle rather than continue showcasing its great ensemble cast. Maybe the dwindling ratings will make the writers wake up and course correct. Not all viewers are shippers. All we want is a good story that incorporates what used to make it great, regardless of who ends up with whom.

19. kmw says:

So it appears DST is true. Wow nothing went up. The only thing not affected is Empire

20. DavidSask says:

The here’s what you missed eps. of Blacklist was an insult to loyal viewers! Almost as bad as Sunday’s Good Wife. Vampire Diaries needs to end, quit renewing it already! I do like Caroline as a villain though, actress is doing good job!

21. Kate says:

Totally addicted to The Slap!It is really good!Don’t understand why it didn’t do better!