Hart of Dixie Cancelled? Recent Tweets Indicate Season 4 Will Be Its Last

Might Hart of Dixie‘s upcoming Season 4 finale be its series finale instead?

A flurry of speculation around the fate of the CW series has begun on social media, following a few curious tweets sent by those involved with the show.

On March 6, creator Leila Gerstein tweeted a series of rather final messages regarding the season’s upcoming episodes:

Meanwhile, star Scott Porter had a few words to say on Friday about the show’s struggling ratings. In a tweet that has since been deleted, Porter wrote, “Folks wondering why #HartOfDixie got canned? Simple numbers game folks. Ratings still matter and dictate wins and losses. You have to WATCH.”

Back in January, CW President Mark Pedowitz spoke at the Television Critics Association press tour about Dixie‘s fate, saying only that Season 4 is “not necessarily” the show’s last.

“We have to see the ratings,” Pedowitz added. “If [Dixie] ends, it’s a great series finale. And if it doesn’t end, it’s a great season finale.”

Dixie‘s Season 4 premiere pulled in 1.2 million total viewers and a 0.4 demo rating, while its most recent episode drew 1.12/0.4.

Last December, Gerstein told TVLine that she plans to give all the characters “a happy, celebratory conclusion” at the end of the upcoming run, “while still leaving some doors open for the future.”

However, she added, “I do feel like 76 episodes of these particular love stories is plenty.”

A rep for the show had no comment. Sources tell TVLine that the network hasn’t yet reached a decision about the fate of the show, which airs its season finale on March 27.

What are your thoughts on Hart of Dixie‘s questionable fate? Hit the comments!

1. Tran says:

Is the CW debating this whole issue involving the fate of HoD?

2. Liza says:

This is a wonderful show! So refreshing and unique! I hope it is not cancelled!!

3. Ray says:

Anyone can see it’s clearly been canceled.

4. D. says:

A 0.4 on the cw is not bad at all, especially if you consider HoD is on fridays and numbers are low for all networks…

5. John NYC says:

Like the show. Some quiet gfn is very welcome in my tv.

Great collection of acting talent including very far down the marquee.

6. opus says:

Here’s my beef. Beauty and the Beast, a truly crappy show, has already been renewed for season 4 when season 3 has not even started. And CW knows it is going to do badly since they are using it as basically a summer replacement. Hart of Dixie, on Friday nights, is doing as well as or better than BatB did on Monday nights, and is a far far superior show. Where is the justice if HoD is canceled? And what do the producers of BatB have over the people at CW to keep it going?

• brandydanforth81 says:

Let me explain-Batzb is a cheap international/co-production that gets lower liscening fees & has a third production compny paying costs.BatB was two seasons away from syndication when given a third season and at 76. Episodes Dixie can be syndicated.Batzb does very well/makes money internationally -enough ive heard to cover its oroduction costs-.HoD not so much.Its not all always about raw ratings or realitive ratings but the fact that HoD has reached the point where Czw can get a good return for its investment while Batzb hasn’t yet.Also, quality has nothing to do with cancellation or renewals -money does.If a show makes money in some way to cover its production costs,it’ll be renewed.If not,it’ll be cancelled.Quality is also very subjective.

• Jared says:

Hart of Dixie was NEVER competing with BATB for a renewal since it now looks like it will be airing as a Summer series. Reign, 100, Jane the Virgin those were the series that were on the Fall schedule along with Dixie. It still sucks because HoD is basically getting the same ratings as those already renewed series which have some of the biggest shows on the network as a lead in.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Yes but my point still stands-HoD in near enough syndication,CW needs the room on the schedule & Czw can now get a good return for its HoD investment while they can’t the other shows that were renewed.As someone else,when HoD was left off the early renwals,it was obvious it was to be cancelled

• brandydanforth81 says:

Also as I said,CW cares about proper endings for long running shows -Hozd will have one,the shows renewed won’t this season.

• zac says:

The 100 was Emmy nominated and critics (abd I personally) love it as well as Jane the Virgin which won the CW its 1st Golden Globe and is also critically acclaimed. Anf it already reached the syndication numbers.

• Ari says:

I feel like HOD would actually be a really excellent summer show. If the CW is really planning to start investing in new programming for the summer they should have at least considered HOD getting one more season for summer 2016.

• Dave says:

The Monday slot the put BATB in was a low rates spot for the network. BATB is also being used in the summer/spring and has been getting OK Ratings.

• David4 says:

Why not make HoD a summertime show then? The ratings are insanely stable.

7. Rebecca says:

Noooo!!! What a shame I love this show!!!!

8. Boiler says:

not greatest ratings but its doing better than some already renewed shows. If actors want to keep doing it should go on

• brandydanforth81 says:

But some of the other renewed shows ratings aren’t good even though they’ve been renewd.I really wish you’d stop this weekly thing about HoD & Czws other shows,it’s old.HoD can be syndicated with 76 episodes ,Reign,Jane,The 100 cannot.HoD will have a proper ending, Reign,Jane,athe 100 wont( Likley end in cliffhangers).Rachel wants to be a full time mom.Also,Czw HAS to cancel some shows to make room for new ones.HoD has reached the point CW can recoup its losses financially with it & get a deccent return on thier investment,Reign,Jane,The 100. Have not.Hozd was only renewed for this season for syndication & closure,not because it’s ratings we’re good last spring especially.HoD is sadly cancelled,the other shows renewed -it’s time to accept,live eith it,deal eith it. & move on,

• Boiler says:

Cause I don’t like the other shows

• brandydanforth81 says:

Well, that’s fine.But you have to accept that HoD is done and move on just like I do,just like I did when abcfamily ended Melissa & Joey recently ect.Im sure you’ll find a new show to watch & love.

• Jared says:

I totally agree, which is why The CW should have billed Hart of Dixie as its final season like they have with many of there veteran series.

• lois says:

Don’t have nothing to do with her being a mom at all. So who will support her? Hayden parents was working people and didn’t have money like that. That is being lazy and want someone to take care are her. Cancelling her show didn’thave nothing about her being a full time mom . Moms still work at sosomething. They just gave her 10episodes and no one is hiring her.

• Who do you think you are! Just coming around and telling people they should change their opinion because you want the show to keep going on! Don’t get me wrong I want this show to stay on more than anything but you don’t have to tell other people that they are wrong because they think the show should be over! So get a life besides changing people’s opinion and maybe even be the the one to make hart of Dixie keep running.

• oldfan says:

brandydanforth81 — maybe you do not care for Hart of Dixie, that is fine, but stop insulting those of us who LIKE the show, do NOT want it to end, and do NOT care about beauty/beast or jane..
        HOD is a fun family show that many look forward to watching each week. Now with the two marriages and the thought of Zoe with a baby .. That alone is an entire season of the whole town helping, the messes the ladies can get into.. What a waste to cancel a GOOD show.

9. Lola says:

thanks tvline for addressing the 99.9999% cancellation of Hart of Dixie. Maybe we will get something official now. I find it ridiculous that the cw is not commenting. When the actors Wilson Bethel and Scott Porter tweeted their goodbyes at the end of filming the network had them retract.

In the meantime network President stated that they would see the ratings which to everyone’s surprise have been better than even other non Friday shows like Reign. He has also said that it wasn’t necessarily the last season.

What are they trying to accomplish here? Keep us hanging until after the show is off the air?
    We as fans deserve better

• brandydanforth81 says:

Yes,they were trying to keep fans hanging.Is plain as day CW always intended this season to be the last but never officially announced it as such like they should’ve .Hzid & Reigns ratings difference this season is negilble btw.

10. H says:

The show is done, and I say this as a fan. Ratings are bad, the show doesn’t make money to the network, there’s no space in the schedule. The fact that B&tB and Reign have similar ratings and still got renewed means that they were instead of HoD when the CW made a choice a few month ago. Only a ratings boost, which was very unlikely anyway, would have saved the show.
    We must be glad we had this final season, which was great mostly because there were no fillers; the short episodes count ended up being a blessing in disguise. Most shows get axed without a proper conclusion, so kudos to the CW.

Now my predictions for the finale:

Time jump, so that Zoe can take the pregnancy to term (otherwise it would be too short) and have her baby boy.

One couple will get married. Zade don’t need that since they have an even bigger commitment, and George/A.B. are still too fresh (moving together maybe?) and are busy with they professional lives. Lemon and Lavon have this star crossed lovers things going on for a long time, so their the ones who will get hitched.

Finally Autumn Reeser, as announced, will pop up as the new girl in town much like Zoe was in the pilot.

11. kn1231 says:

Hart of Dixie is the last show on the CW that I watch. I’ll be sad to see it go because it will be an end to an era for the CW (at least to me). Hoping someday soon we get a show that can entertain like One Tree Hill, 90210, Gossip Girl & Hart Of Dixie.

• Greg says:

Jane the virgin is the only one thats left in the same vein of those shows. Otherwise the network is all supernatural/comicbook

• pamela says:

exactly! Where are the Gilmore Girls and Dawson’s creek, all gone and replaced with fangs and uniforms. Unfortunately I don’t watch jane the virgin not my thing.

• Ari says:

I like that CW has a lot of supernatural/comic book shows. That’s a niche market that isn’t really being filled by other networks.

12. Diva DIary says:

With the way this season has been going, I doubt it could end well enough to satisfy fans.

13. TW says:

This makes me so sad. This show filled the void that was left when The Gilmore Girls ended. I feel lucky that we will at least get closure on most of the stories. Hopefully some day the whole series will end up on Netflix so I can binge watch from beginning to end. :)

14. Jared says:

This is exactly why The CW should have billed Hart of Dixie as the final season to begin with. The CW continues to stay quiet but I doubt actors or creators of the series will discuss its cancellation pretty openly if that’s not the case behind the scenes. It sucks because the ratings are comparable to other series already renewed on the network that don’t air on Fridays. Either way I loved the show and can’t wait to watch the finale!

15. LE says:

I so don’t want HOD to end, but this season has been playing like a final season and it seems that all of the characters are getting a happy ending. I hope there is a ray of hope and HOD gets renewed for at least on more season but I’m not holding my breath

16. Liz says:

i really hope leila just didn’t know what she was talking about! loving this season!

• brandydanforth81 says:

Scott Poter confirmed its cancellation ,Wilson joined another show,Scott & Wison tweeted farewell tweets months ago while filing-it’s csncelled

17. Anon says:

at least it got 4 seasons…..The CW has axed other shows with comparable ratings, much earlier…See Life Unexpected.

The CW gave it a lot more rope than other networks would have. Constantine did double the numbers, but only got 13 episodes.

• Bwhit says:

I agree! I am happy they gave the show these 10 episodes to tie everything up. I loved the show October Road and Abc cancelled it right when it really started to find its feet. I doubt we will always have to wonder what happened with Zoe and company and I’m greatful for that!

• Allison says:

I loved October Road too!

I do appreciate that CW gives fans an ending (as long as the show has been on more than 1 season at least) when a lot of networks don’t, I just don’t feel like 10 episodes was enough to wrap everything up the way LG claims. I fully believe if they had been given a full 4th season (22 episodes) it could have been done but 10 episodes was just too few considering where things were at the end of season 3. I know it got a short season because of the ratings and that 10 was the number because of RB pregnancy, I just wish they could have filmed these 10, gone on hiatus, then filmed the final 12 which could have been aired either next winter/spring like this season or next summer. Then they could have billed that as the final season from the very beginning. I realize it’s unrealistic in today’s tv universe, with these ratings, etc but if they really do want to have summer programming, this show would have been a perfect fit!

• H says:

A bonus feature on the second season DVD set of October road is a 5 minute mini episode that wraps up the main storylines and gives all the main characters a happily ever after

• brandydanforth81 says:

Lux was years ago when Czw ratings expectations were much higher and it didn’t have two full season and wasn’t near syndication.At least Lux got a proper ending.

• brandydanforth81 says:

NBC & CW have very fpdiffernt ratings expectations and operate differently so you can’t compare them

18. Lynne Albritton says:

I and my family love the show keep it on the air please

19. Ashton says:

Dang it! I just started watching this show! It’s adorable!

20. Torella says:

I dont wathc the show but I think the professional way is for the creator of the show to announce it officially about the cancellation and not said it through indirect tweets where viewers start to wonder if yes or no. I mean the creators need to step up and say it once and for all the show had been cancell, why the different hints.

I agree with one of the commenter here where she says in this business of TV what it matters is the money because at the end that is what matters, the mighty $$$ for the networks if the show is not producing good money in order to cover expensive production costs, they rather cancell it or renew a show. The last the networks take into account are what viewers and quality sometimes is taken into account but other times it does not, it is relative.

21. Jo says:

I agree with Jared’s comments below. It was Low of the CW to not call this a Series Finale from the beginning. It is obvious that is what it was the whole time and they just didn’t think they would get the ad dollars for a cancelled show. Luckily there are no shows beside HOD on the CW that I can’t live without.

22. JJ says:

End it. The cast feel like it’s ending and the EP indicates that it’s ending. The show will end in a satisfying way. Why create another season filled with new conflicts, love triangles, and messiness? There’s no need to make people hope that it will get renewed.

23. Joey Padron says:

Hope the show won’t get canceled & hope they’ll get one more season.

24. Victoria beltz says:

I love the show ,I hate to see it end ,I enjoy watching it .I faithfully watch it every week ,

25. bette says:

Why do they have to cancel such a pleasant and fun loving show. I think it makes everyone feel good. Sick and tired of all reality shows. Not to mention crime shows. Give us some fun and keep zoey hart and the refreshing cast Please!

26. Amy says:

*sighs* Such a shame when the show really hit its stride this season. But as I’ve commented previously – I hope other show runners learn from Gerstein about how to end a series. While there are still eps to go, I’m sure we’re not going to get a epic fail like Dexter/HIMYM etc

27. Michele says:

Hope HoD is coming back!! All the characters are quirky and very entertaining. Love the story lines and all the twists and hilarious turns. Always makes me laugh and forget life’s worries for an hour. So many shows on tv today are so dark and depressing, HoD is not one of those! Give it at least one more season!!!

28. Sonja says:

I love the show. Please don’t cancel.

29. B says:

This is a charming show that I’ve enjoyed very much. It does feel like they’ve been wrapping things up though, so if they’ve had a chance to end it well, that’s a good thing. Even so, I’ll miss it.

30. vicki says:

There are so few shows left on tv that are simply fun. I loved Hart of Dixie and so did my grown daughters, it was our discussion of the week. I hope they see all the love and change their minds.

31. Krysten says:

I think it is disgusting that news sites are only picking this up now. These tweets was posted a week ago and no one cared until now. No one ever gives any info or spoilers when fans ask. The network and entertainment sites have really lacked publicizing this show and it is no wonder it is getting cancelled. No one cares about it and it’s a shame because it is a unique show that isn’t like anything on tv right now. I think Leila and the cast knew all along and the fact that Pedowitz gave false hope and didn’t have the decency to announce it as a season finale when everyone involved clearly knew that was the case (tweets from the cast and LG saying they were prepared from the beginning) is disgusting towards the cast and crew and the fans. They announced it was the final season of gossip girl, Nikita etc but of course we never got the same decency for our show which fought bad ratings and bad time slots over the years and stuck around through lack of respect from the CW. They renew rubbish rated shows like Reign and treat them like gold and we don’t even get the decency of an official announcement. Once this show is done, I’m no longer watching the CW.

32. pamela says:

I’ve considered the show to be cancelled for months, if it isn’t it will be a very unexpected nice surprise.

33. Barbra Stephens says:

I love the show, especially Lemon, what talent! Her acting ability is tremendous and the episode with her mom and sister shows it. Her emotions were so strong. If the show dies, she needs to go on to bigger things!! Levine reads the cards too much. You can tell. It makes him look like he’s not doing his home work! I hope it stays on!!!

34. Tv diva says:

NOOOO…This sucks!! This show has so much charm and heart, pun intended. Instead, we get Izombie crap! Supernatural is getting tired and Vampire Diaries should have been canceled a couple seasons ago. I tolerate The Originals. I don’t watch Reign, 100 or Jane the Virgin, so what’s left??

35. Nmattson says:

Honestly this show is a breath of fresh air compared to the over exposed crap reality tv we are constantly slapped in the face with every time we change our channels or go on social media. It’s classy, funny, emotional, has very mild sexuality, exceptable for all ages kind of tv series. I think this kind of show is pushed aside too often. It would be a shame to cancel it when other horrible/boring/exposing shows advance.

36. Amani says:

Please please don’t cancel this show!! It makes me so happy! The characters and story line is unlike any others!

37. MP says:

This used to be my favorite show until that train wreck that was Season 3. I think the writers brought this situation on themselves. Season 4 has been much improved, but it’s too little, too late, unfortunately. And it’s such a shame because it’s one of the few shows on TV that’s pure fun and charm and quirkiness, a true escapist TV show where you can just forget about your world for an hour. I will miss Bluebell very much.

38. raelene says:

OMG Please don’t let this be the last season…one of my all time favourites!!!

39. patty paul says:

I am really surprised….my favorite show.please don’t cancel…I really love this show. You can cancel arrow in it’s place.

40. Tracy says:

I loved Hart of Dixie in season one! It was a great show and the chemistry between Zoe and George was off the charts! The George/Zoe/Wade triangle was working too but then the show started listening to the rabid Zade fans who went nuts for Wilson Bethel and went off the rails! HOD started heading toward Zade and teased us with Zeorge but never delivered! That’s when the show lost me! If HOD had given Zeorge a real relationship, even briefly, things might have been different but instead they focused on the unrealistic and often snippy Zade pairing and the rants of the low mouthed, over the top Bethel fans while ignoring the Zeorge fans! Enjoy cancellation, Leila Gerstein, you earned it!

41. Leticia says:

Add Jaime King to list of cast members saying goodbye. She posted a message to fans on her instagram tonight. Sounds like cast & crew have been notified of the cancellation while nothing official has been released yet. I’m definitely sad to see it go but this talented cast will have no problem finding new projects. At least fans are getting a proper series finale and not a cliffhanger. Farewell, Bluebell.

• Audrey says:

Scott Porter cancelled his tweet, but Jaime’s goodbye to Hod is heartbreaking… I’m speechless.
      Shame on you CW, just say it and stop torturing fans.

42. vikki says:

Why is it we can’t have a light hearted show with quirky fun loving characters great music and just feel good stories instead of reality TV, murder and violence ? Shame on you C.W. did you ever think if you publicized it more and made it easier to find ratings would have been higher.

43. Audrey says:

I don’t understand why they just don’t say it’s cancelled.
    We can only hope for a miracle, but after these tweets it’s not easy.
    At this point I just hope they’ll make it a summer show.
    I’m so disappointed, this show deserve more, loyal fans deserve much more.
    I’ll miss the amazing cast and the unique nature of this show.

44. Boiler says:

I love this show and find it horrible, if this is the end, at how CW seems to be dumping on its fans by keeping their mouths shut about its fate. I have to assume that recent comments by Ms. Gerstein and actors make them feel it is gone. If I remember right the finale is the lead in for whatever new show is coming on Friday so maybe that is why. It is too bad a fun and feel good show doesn’t appear to have a spot on TV. Guess that is basically the way of the world now….murder, “reality”, sex and comic books.

45. Jessica says:

I am so sad this is happening. This is such a great show. It’s fun and quirky. Y’all should keep it for the fans after all tv is for the fans.

46. Rhonda says:

Keep the show going!!!

47. Mary Lee says:

I have been watching since the start… Hart of Dixie is one show that got me to actually sit and watch TV… guess I can stop now and start reading a book or crafts… nothing really good on TV anymore…

48. K says:

Seriously?!

Ugh everything on the CW is all sci-fi now!

49. HBH says:

I’m sad about this, but it was totally expected. I know many people love this show, so it sucks the ratings don’t add up. personally i have work on fridays so i can’t watch it live, but i always watch it first thing saturday morning. at least every character in the show is getting their happy ending

50. cynde29 says:

So sorry to hear about my fav show. It’s good clean tv.