Glee Recap: Soar, Losers!

Glee Rachel Jesse Kiss

A long-awaited lip-lock, a fierce Sectionals face-off and a flock of falcons — yes, falcons! — came together in bizarre, beautiful harmony on Friday for Glee‘s penultimate outing.

Let’s start with that first one: Jesse St. James surprised Rachel at McKinley — the air traffic between New York City and Lima, Ohio, has been unreal this season — to persuade her to accept the role in Russell Simmons’ new musical, in which he just so happens to be playing the lead. In his quest to convince her, Mr. St. James pulled out all the stops, joining her in a passionate duet… and an even more passionate kiss.

That’s right, folks, drink it in…

Glee Rachel Jesse Kiss

Anyway, despite Jesse’s pucker of persuasion, Ms. Berry ended up turning down his offer. Instead, she listened to Sam — or her heart, or whatever — and decided to re-enroll at NYADA. Of course, that school also being in New York, Rachel and Jesse’s paths (and mouths) are sure to cross again. After all, as Jesse said, they “make great music together.” Schwing!

(Real talk, though: I know the subject of Rachel’s romantic future has been a touchy subject for fans. Can we all agree that, if she’s to end up with anyone by series’ end, Jesse is probably the best option? Even if it’s just because of Lea Michele and Jonathan Groff’s real-life friendship and natural chemistry? Their scenes tonight felt kind of perfect.)

glee-sectionalsVICTORY (BY DEFAULT?) | I’ll cut to the chase here; despite Spencer’s injury and Roderick’s natural aversion to rhythm of any kind, the New Directions managed to out-perform Vocal Adrenaline and win first place at Sectionals. Actually, it’s not necessarily fair to say they “outperformed” their rival glee club, because the voting ultimately came down to the whims of a racist poodle — and we all know how unpredictable that can be. Personally, I would have handed the trophy over to the Falconers. Did any of the other groups manage to incorporate wild beasts — aside from Myron, doing a flawless impression of Sia protégé Maddie Ziegler — in their performances? I. Think. Not. But my own personal thoughts about the Falconers’ snub aside, it was great to see the New Directions placing their trophy alongside those from years past. (And don’t even get me started on the flashback shots of Finn.)

CAN WE TALK ABOUT SUE? | As I’ve mentioned in previous recaps, I have a Glee-related disorder that causes me to hallucinate quotes, musical numbers and even entire story lines, so let me just make sure I have this straight: This week, Sue “Lex Luthor” Sylvester transformed into a full-on neo-Nazi, shaving her head and screening Nazi propaganda to inspire Vocal Adrenaline in its ongoing quest to destroy New Directions. Even if she hadn’t lit Will’s car on fire, blew up the choir room or poisoned McKinley High’s drinking water — all of which she definitely did — that would easily go down as her craziest behavior to date. For Sue’s sake, maybe it’s good the series is ending; she’s a half-season away from joining ISIS at this point. And did she think Will would actually believe that she did everything to help the glee club? I’ve never been more confused by a television character’s motivations in my damn life.

And now, we play the Rating Game…
Rachel and Jesse: “Listen To Your Heart” — Rating: A-
Falconers: “Broken Wings” — Rating: B+
Vocal Adrenaline: “We Built This City”/”Hey Mickey” — Rating: B-
New Directions: “Take Me to Church”/”Chandelier”/”Come Sail Away” — Rating: B (mostly for Myron, to be honest)

So… What’d you think of this week’s episode? Were you glad to see Rachel and Jesse reunite? And did the New Directions really deserve to win? Drop a comment below with your thoughts on this episode and your hopes for next week’s series (!) finale.

1. Bizzle says:

I loved Rod’s Take me To Church… I laughed out loud when I heard the opening notes of Broken Wings.

I thought this was a great episode minus the awful Sue parts. And I had a case of the feels at the end. 😢

2. theschnauzers says:

Lea and Jonathan doing duets are just magical. I think you undergraded that one, to be honest. And who wouldn’t want another TV series with those two as the leads, or at least a new Broadway musical, for real. Those two do have palpable chemistry together.

The episode itself was certainly better than whatever that was last week, we saw more character development of the new ND’ers, and even by reference to Alistair. Having Spencer swinging from a chandelier — priceless and iconic.

And I’m hoping that even though it wasn’t, apparently, the last song recorded for the finale that the series somehow ends with “Don’t Stop Believing” Nothing else could possibly work, IMHO.

• Joyce says:

I loved the episode! It was nostalgic. It was a good thing I decided to give it a chance for the sake of Rachel and Jesse. In the end, besides their scenes, I’m glad to be reminded of other characters and the reason why I loved this show years ago.

• Annie Sisk says:

Did anyone other than me *not* recognize him? I mean I knew who it was, obviously, from the first note but I could not for the life of me visually tell that was Groff.

• Hurry friday says:

Yes, I want it to end with that song also.

3. At least this episode in my opinion was better then a past few except for the wedding episode I actually liked that one. Was not a huge fan of the music tonight oh well. I think most people knew they were going to win. I’m glad Rachel decided to go back to school and they mentioned that Blaine will go back to college and New York with Kurt. I kinda wish Jesse didn’t go back and they didn’t start dating but I’m pretty sure they do end up together. I would have loved to see her on her own being a strong independent woman. Not saying she can’t do that with jesse just idk I never cared for them but I will take her with Jesse over Sam any day. She in a weird way kinda cheated on Sam by kissing Jesse? Maybe not cause she kept saying what a good friend he was to her so mauve friends with benefits? Whatever everyone cheats on everyone on this show so I guess it worked. I can’t believe next week is the end. I kinda wish we still got more of the originals more this season instead if the newbies and had the original sing more instead if the newbies I know they are talented but I didn’t get that attached I would like a more resolution with the original characters.

• odd says:

I do not think she cheated at all. She has been calling Sma a freind the last 2 episode. We have seen nothing to suggest they are serious they have been dating 4 week tops.

4. laurelnev says:

I remember when this used to be a FANTASTIC show. That being said, Vocal Adrenaline DOES seem to depend on wheeling around sets every year, and they ARE quite over the top, considering this is supposed to be HS Glee Club. That being said, LOVED the New Directions selections for sectionals. When Glee gets back to its roots, even if briefly, it’s at its best.

5. Laura B says:

she’s a half-season away from joining ISIS at this point – LOL! 😂 but yes, I agree.

6. Mike says:

In Sue’s “confession”, I was almost expecting her to admit to burning down Dalton. It did double the size of New Directions.

7. Laura salini says:

I love the songs I will join them

8. anoin33guest says:

I am glad Rachel finds love again but i don’t get the argument that Jesse is the best choice because of Lea & Jonathan’s real life friendship. To me Jesse/Rachel and Lea/Jonathan are two completely separate things and it is always weird to me that people conflate the two. Better Jesse than Sam though.

• ee says:

Agreed, except for the part where Rachel ends up with anyone. I don’t understand the need to pair characters up for the sake of pairing. It is completely okay if Rachel ends the series alone. If anything, it would be more true to life. Honestly, I kind of feel like pairing her with anyone, especially Jesse, would be a slap in the face.

• truth says:

A slap in the face? That make no sense. Jesse has always cared about her. He did one bad thing 5 year ago to her and Rachel has forgiven him. This isn’t about a ship this is about how Rachel’s story-has always been about balancing love and career. So I am glad we may she that dream come true.

• ee says:

I hear you but I never cared for Jesse. It would be a slap in the face because it’s as if she is settling for someone because Fin is gone. Have her go off and realize her dreams and eventually find love again. Pairing her with Jesse is just too much of a neat pretty little convenient package. Plus, she made her decision about Jesse long ago, no need to go back now.

• Isobel says:

Given the time jump will be five years it’s realiistic that Rachel would have found love again, and maybe Jesse being an old friend during difficult times would make sense

• ee says:

Isobel- Oh, wasn’t aware of a time jump. I see your point that it would be realistic, however, Jesse would still leave a bad taste in my mouth. Want fans to be happy with how it ends so if Rachel with Jesse makes that happen I can deal.

• abz says:

• abz says:

The way I understood that argument was that because of Lea and Jonathan’s real-life friendship, their chemistry on screen is natural and that much better and believable. I’m one of those who is all for Rachel not being paired up at the end of the show, but if they insist on it, then Jesse is a million times better than her ending up with Sam..

• truth says:

I do not conflate the two but the fact is Rachel and Jesse have great chemistry. He has on more than one occasion proved her really cares for her. And she cares for him.

9. Marla says:

Even though I think NYADA really has nothing to offer her in terms of preparation, I’m glad it is giving her the option to experience college life and make friends and just be for a while without the pressure of striving. She’s going to be great and successful and she deserves it, but nothing wrong with downtime. If Jesse is who she ends up with ultimately, I don’t hate it. It’s better than Sam the McKinley assistant losing football coach anyways.

10. Kip says:

Rachel has been a really sweet and hilarious glee club coach, I’m going to miss that. I can’t believe the end is next week.

11. Heather says:

Umm… When did Jonathan Groff get so got? Dam!!!

12. Karen says:

I’m really stoked to have Jonathan Groff back, and think a Jesse/Rachel end-game would be great – though I’ve been really happy with the Rachel/Sam pairing as well. But one question about this episode: shouldn’t Rachel feel at least a little bad kissing another guy while she’s still with Sam? I mean, did I miss something?

• egads says:

Are they together? She called them friends in this episode and there’s been nothing coupley about them since the wedding. Why should she feel bad? Get some Rachel.

• truth says:

Why there is not indication they are exclusive they have been dating maybe 4 weeks. Plus she didn’t even call him her boyfriend but friend.

13. abz says:

Despite the ups and the many many downs the show has been through over the years, I know I am still going to be extremely sad next week when it says goodbye for good next week. I never reached the point of feeling the full-on hatred for the show that the majority of the fandom has come to feel. I definitely had my disappointments, but I’ve stuck with the show through the good and the very good as well as the bad and the extremely bad. But throughout, I’ve still felt a lot of joy watching. I’ve laughed a lot over the years. And regardless of any bad or inconsistent writing, these characters are still special and magical and I will definitely miss them. Seeing Lea and Jonathan singing and the trophy montage at the end brought so much joy and nostalgia. It’s gonna be sad that there will be no more Glee, no more Rachel Berry and co., but it will still be a show that had a major impact on television and was a big part of my TV life. Looking forward to seeing how it ends regardless of whether I will actually end up liking it or not.

• Angela says:

Excellent post. I completely agree. To say this show got goofy at times would be an understatement :p. But like you said, there’s enough great memories and moments and episodes that made this show special and worth treasuring, and we grew up with these characters and loved them through all the good and bad times.
      I got a little misty-eyed at that ending tonight, and I just KNOW I’ll be wiping tears away next week. I’m always a sentimental sap when it comes to series goodbyes, LOL. But I do look forward to seeing how they wrap everything up-I think there’ll be enough in there to make fans happy :).

14. pity online says:

W trakcie spotkania omówiono działania podejmowane
    w ramach rządowego programu pomocy dzieciom i uczniom w formie zasiłku losowego na
    cele edukacyjne oraz uczniom w formie wyjazdu terapeutyczno-edukacyjnego w latach 2010
    – 2014 oraz wydatki przeznaczone na ten cel z budżetu
    państwa w latach 2010 – 2014.

15. Izzy says:

This episode was good but the thing that annoyed me the most is the writing of the show and the storyline. What makes me mad is Sam and Rachel. They build up a story that they are together and then now she kissed Jessie? What happened to her and Sam? Did they break up? If they did they did not show that at all which left Samchel fans confused about their relationship. Come on glee at least try to write the storyline better and don’t leave anything hanging. Furthermore, what was the whole point of building a case of Rachel and Sam being together??? In my opinion that would be a waste of time. If they are not going to be endgame then they should not have put them together and focus on something else.

• Isobel says:

Given she and Sam were only together for four weeks and she never refered to him as her boyfriend I’d say he was more the rebound guy while she started getting over Finn’s death

16. Regina says:

Just came from a screening of next week’s final, tissues will definley be needed. Of course I won’t spoil, but for us Gleeks that have been with the show since the beginning its a great episode!

17. mc says:

The trophy montage tugs the heart. This show is down to it’s final episode. It was a messy run, but it’s still saddening to see it end.
    Is this actually the last competition episode?

18. Rafael says:

Madison sang last night, which is good, everyone in this show, except for Cory and Damian, will appear in the series finale!

So I think Jesse will officially surrender to Rachel, since they both kissed and then they will get married.

Sue will get arrested by the police and officially thrown into jail for the rest of her life.

19. schmooimax says:

I want Mr. Shue, in the final moments of the final episode, to give the following speech. “And of course, Sue Sylvester is not real. She is that nagging voice inside of us, the one that tries to stop us at every turn, to take us down, to tell us we can’t, we’re ugly, untalented, no good. We can listen to that voice, or we can shut it down…. blah blah….” Point being, Sue’s evil is the heinous doubt in all of us and in no way a real person.

• JoMarch says:

I didn’t read your post until after I had written mine, or I would have just added to your comment. What you propose would be great, but it won’t happen, unfortunately. The “unrealness” (made up word, sorry) of that character threw the show into real fantasy.

20. JoMarch says:

I read the recap so now I won’t have to watch the episode I have on my DVR. I probably still would have watched it if it hadn’t been for the Sue behavior. The character ceased to be entertaining a while ago, but most of the down slide occurred this season when her calculated, villainous (and usually funny) behavior turned into crazy-town, felonious behavior. She should be in jail and the other characters (I’m look at you Will Schuster) who put up with her behavior without calling the police are as crazy as she is.

21. analog says:

Jonathan Groff is looking good. Love that haircut.

• Fernanda says:

Yeap, Jonathan is LOOKING good. But when he kisses Rachel’s character I can’t forget that last sunday on HBO his other alter ego had sex with Kevin.These actors are amazing kissing and pretending to have sex with fictional characters.

22. LilAngel says:

St Berry is totally perfect and makes sense. Rachel was with Sam while she was in Lima and will be with Jesse in NYC. Also Listen to your heart is playing on infinite loop on my iPhone right now

23. Fdo says:

I can´t help it but i cry so bad at the last few minutes of the episode. And it’s kind of weird because i’ve been felling that this season and any season dince the fourth one, have been nothing but horrible, anyway i’m still watching but seeing those flashbacks made me feel so many things, when glee was a show about normal kids and music.

24. Jenna says:

I’ve mostly been a casual viewer of Glee, as I watch primarily for the musical numbers and not so much for the storylines. That said, I did get a little teary at the trophy montage. I enjoyed this episode and am looking forward to next week; but I expect to cry a little. Hats off to Fox for allowing this show a proper send off.

25. KC says:

Best: Jesse! The flashback at the end with the awards/Finn
    Worst: Newbies – sorry, but they totally lack the magic this show was built on.

26. lina says:

This was a pretty good episode! I really enjoyed the new directions songs. Sues character is just being ruined. She was best the first couple seasons now she’s just what for? What’s the point of her? She’s too much. Ruined. The flashbacks made me feel quite emotional. I like this new cast very much. But the old cast was so special together. magic chemistry. It was touching.

27. Lisa B says:

First of all, I didn’t see it that Rachel followed *Sam’s* advice about whether to choose Broadway or NYADA–she only made up her mind after she talked to Kurt, and I thought his speech about (paraphrasing) “How many people get to revisit a crossroads in their life and choose the different path” was so powerful. It was sometime after that when she made up her mind. This episode showed more depth (other than the Sue parts, which were mostly stupid) than the show has showed in the whole last two seasons, and I hope this is NOT the last time we see the actor who plays Roderick–he is incredibly talented. Why, oh why couldn’t they have found this group the first time they tried finding newbies???

28. mc says:

It would have been lovely if they got Anna Camp on the judges seat instead of the dog trainer. She was one of the 2009 judges together with the vice comptroller

29. shawnuel says:

Absolutely cannot stand Jesse (or Jonathan, for that matter). Utterly slick, passionless performer. To me, he showed his true character when he egged her all those seasons ago.

30. I have mixed feeling on the last 2 episodes. I think should have took out one of the random stupid episodes we had this season and put the 2009 episode in that slot and have the finale show be 2 hours instead of cramming everything in one hour. I hope the while episode isn’t about Rachel. We had enough of her this season heck even the entire run of the show. I know she is the star of the show but I would love to see the other characters their storyline get a well deserved wrap up. I guess I will have to see until the last show airs.

31. Shawn says:

If I was crying from this episodes montage how I don’t know how I will make it through the final episode. The show definitley has had its ups and downs especially in its latter seasons but still a big part of my life. I’m almost 30 and was never a performer but this show still always spoke to me. It’s message of following your dreams can relate to anyone. Plus what music will I buy now on iTunes. I remember when the show came out my boyfriend and I hosting a weekly glee night and our friends coming over and hanging out. there is no show since then with that magic to it.

32. Fred V says:

There really should’ve been a warning at the start of the episode – PTSD got triggered big-time during Sue’s dirty-tricks scene.

Once I recovered, I will admit the performance music was pretty epic “Chandelier” FTW…

33. Abby says:

does anyone else not remember how much of a horrible person Jessie was to Rachel? Why he is even back is beyond me!

34. I got this site from my pal who informed
    me concerning this website and at the moment this time I
    am visiting this site and reading very informative articles or
    reviews at this place.