Kathy Griffin Exits Fashion Police — Read Her Official Statement

Kathy Griffin Daytime Emmys

And then there were two.

Following Kelly Osbourne’s dramatic exit from E!’s Fashion Police just a few weeks ago, newcomer Kathy Griffin is also handing in her resignation — and tweeting about it.

“After 7 episodes of Fashion Police, I discovered that my style does not fit with the creative direction of the show [and] now it’s time to move on,” Griffin tweeted Thursday night. “I wish E! and the E! team only the best and I hope to continue to make you all laugh performing live or on television, where I can be smart, irreverent, unrepentant and unafraid in observational way that is candid, honest and justified.”

Read Griffin’s statement in full below:

Shortly after Griffin posted the above, E! responded with an official statement of its own:

We can confirm that Kathy Griffin is leaving E!’s Fashion Police. We wish her all the best and are grateful for her time on the show, as well as the many laughs that she gave us all. Fashion Police will return, as scheduled, on Monday, March 30 at 9pm with our talented Co-Hosts Giuliana Rancic and Brad Goreski and Executive Producer Melissa Rivers. No further information is available at this time.

For those of you keeping score at home, this leaves Rancic and Goreski as the show’s only remaining full-time panelists.

Joan Rangers Fashion Police fans, will you miss Griffin on the panel? Do you think it’s time this show just acknowledges it’s run its course? Drop a comment with your take on this latest scandal below.

1. Kim&Bey says:

Oh thank heavens..this is great news!

• Lucifer says:

Kathy Griffin’s statement proves she is a lousy comedian and was a horrible choice to take Joan’s place. You don’t replace Joan Rivers, a trailblazer of comedy and unafraid of our overly sensitive PC society, with the epitome of why political correctness is garbage. Good riddance.

• Did you read the whole statement? Kathy and Joan are both great comedians. As Kathy said in a polite way…it is not her comedy to make fun of people for not reaching “unattainable perfectionism”. This does not make her “lousy”, this makes her honest.

• Lucifer says:

Joan Rivers made fun of everyone and that’s what the show was about, the comedy of fashion. Everyone was made fun of, even the traditionally attractive people. Nobody was off limits. People like Griffin just like to pretend the show targeted anyone who was ugly or overweight. She probably knows what she is saying is BS, but she also knows it will get her brownie points while giving an excuse to jump off that sinking ship. Just like how Kelly exacerbated the Zendaya controversy to jump ship.

• arial2 says:

But the thing is this program does not make fun of everyone; it picks and chooses. God forbid that they should ever criticize any ETV star (think Kardashian) no matter how outlandish they dress. If the show truly made fun of EVERYONE, I might enjoy it. If JLo or Kim Kardashian chooses to wear a fancy bathrobe as an Oscar or Emmy dress, they rave over it. If anyone else dressed that way, they’d be the target of harsh criticism. The show has descended to the point that the hosts’ heroes can do no wrong, while everyone else is targeted. Perhaps if they gave honest criticism instead of playing favorites, the show could survive the loss of Joan. SHE went after EVERYONE!

• Temperance says:

Since she actually is a pretty amazing comedienne, it obviously proves nothing but – quite like me – she can’t not vomit whenever she sees the disgusting skeletor of Ghoul-ee-anna. *gags*

• JoMarch says:

You obviously don’t even know Kathy Griffin’s comedy if you use “political correctness” in the same paragraph you’re talking about her. If you don’t like her fine, but at least know what you’re talking about. Kathy Griffin is 180 degrees from PC.

• Patty says:

I agree. I watched the show that started all the fuss with the weed comment. Giuliana did not say weed. Actually, Kathy said weed first. For her to continue putting the blame on G is so wrong. Saying she wouldn’t have said the joke is a lie. Glad she’s going away. You gotta watch what you say when it’s on tape.

2. Brandon says:

Why the face? Guess I don’t need to watch anymore.

3. Mariana says:

The best thing they could do is just end this show, rather than prolonging it’s death like this… It should had ended when Joan died.

4. Sally says:

Who the Eff is Joan Rangers?

5. Amber says:

If Guiliana was fired, would Kelly and Kathy come back?

• Christina Reynolds says:

Thought the same.

• Andy Swift says:

That would work for me.

• B says:

I’d approve of that change! Guiliana really adds nothing to the show, but personally I would love is stacy london joined the panel

• LADY_in_MD says:

Stacy with brad and bring in Clinton would be really good and don’t bring guliana back the three
        Of them are people who know about fashion who can still be funny I did enjoy brad :-)

• B says:

clinton might not work out because of network conflicts since he’s on the chew but it would be fantastic to have stacy and clinton back together. No one can replace joan with wit and comedy so instead they should fill the panel with people who can make knowledgeable commentary on fashion

• LADY_in_MD says:

I forgot he was on there
            I agree with you knowledgeble people if a kardshian comes on Joan will haunt that set!

• catherine says:

That would be great. Or at least someone with actual style and fashion knowledge. D list celebs with truly poor style should not be critiquing red carpet attire.

• Carl says:

I LOVE Giuliana!!!

6. Christina Reynolds says:

Is Melissa next?

7. m3rcnate says:

Could have told you that….oh wait, i did tell you that. Back when people were throwing around your name on here as replacements for Joan i said “NO WAY, she doesnt fit, Joan could say what she said cause she was respected in the fashion world and because she came off as a sweet heart”.

8. Missy Kelly says:

The show hasn’t run its course but maybe Juliana Rancic has. Have never been able to see what the E! folks see in her

9. MrMank says:

Yawn, yawn, and yawn some more.

10. Fea says:

It is over without Joan. They should have ended it when she died.

11. aurat22 says:

I think E has run it’s course. Used to love it when it was actually about entertainment and the people who create it not just psuedo reality shows, an on air gossip rag, and a crime report about which “reality star” is doing time now but maybe I’m just old and cranky.

• Susannah says:

I agree with this, it’s all Kardashian all the time on that channel now. I bet they’ll use one of them as the new host of The Fashion Police.

• Moria says:

Totally agree. I can’t even stand to watch E! news anymore (and I started watching back since when Jules Asner & Steve Kemetko were on) because now it’s one big daily Kardashian commercial. As a long-time Kathy fan, she’s not dumb. She could see this show as a potential danger to her career. Yesterday it was all about “racist” Giuliana, next it could be Kathy. And Kathy does not apologize, yet the network would have forced it. One joke out of context (notice how she emphasized context in her statement, and her career could be permanently damaged. I’m sure her contract had her playing nice a lot more than she wanted to in the first place. And now, certainly some Kardashian or 2 will be taking over this show as well as who know what other barely qualified reality “star”. All while she would be forbidden to use any backstage info in her act, so what the really is the point anyway. Perfect time for her to skedaddle!

• Tess says:

I had recently seen the unedited transcript for that episode with the Zendaya comment and the whole situation played out very differently than what it was edited down to – I think that is why Kathy noted “context” within her statement, because if the show did not edit down the comments about Zendaya there would never have been a hoopla over it in the first place. It is hard to do a show where you do not have control over the editing and if someone else doesn’t think context is warranted and cuts it, suddenly your far more innocent comment comes off racist or sexist or degrading in some way and you’re the one left having to say you’re sorry. For someone like Kathy, who is generally quite unapologetic, she probably has realized this program isn’t ultimately looking to do right by its hosts so much as create controversy along with mean-girl comedy. Can’t blame her for seeing the writing on the wall and thinking now’s the right time to bail (plus, I wouldn’t be surprised if she knew who the inside odds were on to take Kelly’s seat and didn’t like the choice and wasn’t being given the chance to veto it). I only went back to watching the show when Kathy joined it (after a long time of not because it got too “mean girl” for my taste while Joan was still alive); now I have no reason to watch. Not sure anyone else will feel it’s worth tuning in for either…

12. Mags says:

I’ll definitely miss Kathy. I think Fashion Police is done. Plus, if they add another Kardashian it’s definitely done for.

• Sam says:

I agree. I thought Kathy was a great replacement. No one could replace Joan, but she was doing a decent job. Kelly added nothing to the show and she knew it. She pretended to throw a fit over the Zendaya comment and act like she was taking the high road by “resigning” aka forced out.

13. Aisha says:

Okay, I’m 100% not forgiving Giuliana for her part in it because she went along with it, but the first person to actually say weed in reference to Zendaya was kathy so I really don’t care about anything she has to say.

• J.B. says:

That’s not exactly true. The “joke” was written for Giuliana Rancic. There’s more to this whole hoopla than you obviously know. I’d take some time and find out how this whole idiotic drama came about. What was said was extremely inappropriate but to put it solely on the people in front of the cameras does a real disservice to them. E! and the producers of the show had more to do with this than the common person is aware of.

14. Counselor says:

Guiliana should be next.

15. cjeffery7 says:

only problem with canceling it is they won’t have a vehicle for Rancic outside of E! News. maybe it’s time for Guiliana to move on too?

• Temperance says:

Skeletor should retire from TV. She’s pretty revolting… a sure, immediate channel change in this house.

16. Tran says:

A couple of big time quitters. First Kelly now Kathy. Where does Fashion Police go from here since the aftermath of the whole Giuliana-Zendaya fiasco?

17. I don’t watch the show but saw Kathy Griffin do a horrible job of fashion reporting at some award shows or events. Why can’t the fashion police find some people who actually know the fashion wor l d?

18. Runner says:

This show is old and dated. Making fun of celebrities is just not that interesting anymore (not that it ever was). It was only fun with Joan Rivers because she had to talent to transcend the shallow context and bring real comedy. So no Joan, no show. Just cancel it already.

19. Linda says:

Go back and watch the Controversial Fashion Police clip. Wasn’t it actually Kathy who first made the comment about Zendaya’s hair smelling like weed before Giuliana chimed in in agreement? It is possible that she was asked to leave and this is the traditional way of celebrity face-saving.

20. jason says:

I would really like to see Nene Leakes and Nicole Richie take the open positions.

21. Jim Grana says:

Kathy Griffin is ‘right’. She is ‘wrong’ on Fashion Police. No is the time to make one more truly wonderful change. Please, please get rid of Brad, bring back George. Brad is Bad!!!!

• Will says:

eww George was THE WORST! Brad is a huge upgrade. He actually gives details, is more naturally funny, he just works better overall. Never liked George who loved everything ..always kissing up to celebs like Rihanna, etc. No thank you.

22. Et al says:

So the panel now consists of the anorexic woman and other. Those ratings should prove funnier than the show.

23. Moria says:

There obviously is a market for such a fashion police show. This is not the only one, just maybe the biggest. Many news magazine shows will give a segment for coverage after big award shows for the exact same thing. Same as shows like Wendy Williams. I love them & try to watch them all. (I actually miss how CNN and CBC/ITV (can’t remember) all did half hour weekend news shows just on fashion. UH! The Best! Sorry sidetracked…my point is there is a market. Just maybe not as E! does it. Certainly not with nouveau riche Kardashians or other even less tasteful celebs. On the other hand you can’t get big designers/stylists because they won’t bad mouth colleges. But without real fashionistas in place, we get the dreaded Kardashians & NeNes, and the show is useless.

24. Lisa says:

Is it possible Kathy has a better offer? Maybe the other sinking ship The View.

25. DavidSask says:

Cancel the show already and start new fashion show with heavies in the business!

26. SW says:

I will miss Kathy Griffin. I thought she was a good replacement for Joan Rivers. This change bums me right out. Kelly was neither here nor there for me… I wasn’t going to miss her.

27. johnchip says:

This was the rantings of a self-indulgent mean spirited fading celebrity. Tense hyperactive vitriolic foul mouthed women are not funny or attractive. She was classless with no fashion background and had nothing to offer to this show. She is no Joan Rivers. Good riddance. And does she really think the public is so dumb they don’t know she was actually canned?

28. betty judge says:

Hell, put Lady Gaga on the show, think it would be interresting !

29. mooshki says:

I wish they’d hire the Go Fug Yourself gals or Tom & Lorenzo.

30. MattySi. says:

I have a feeling ABC wants her to cohost The View. I’m thinking like Nancy ODell with Access Hollywood, she has to wait awhile before starting work on another show.

31. JoMarch says:

Right after Joan Rivers died Kathy Griffin popped into my mind as a likely replacement candidate for FP. She is bright, quick and witty and well-known for her jokes about pop culture and current cultural icons. I thought it was a great fit.
    Even as a fan of the show, there were times I cringed at some of the cruel jokes Joan made at the expense of others. I don’t feel that people, just because they are well-paid and famous, are fair game for cruelty, and some of the remarks were cruel.
    Kathy’s statement was well-written and kudos to her for moving on if she was uncomfortable with the tenor of the show. (Although she knew what it was like before she took the job; maybe she thought she could change it and discovered she couldn’t).

32. Lynn says:

I thought the new FP was great! KG was doing a fab job! Going to miss her & KO. Sad face – keep it strong & be not afraid!!

33. Mel says:

Let’s face it. She desperately wanted to make fun of the Kardashian’s fashion “sense”, but E! executives wouldn’t allow it. So instead of being stifled every week, she chose to leave. Joan Rivers could get away with it because she was Joan Rivers. She would have told the executives where to shove it if they tried to censor her. Griffin doesn’t have that power at E!

34. Hmm says:

I love that Kathy Griffin used her statement to promote her other endeavors. Lame.

35. Joyce says:

I will miss Kathy. She is funny raw and says it like it is. Isn’t that what comedy is all about. Joan would have been proud. The I’m sorry I said that. It was insensitive is ridiculous. Let’s not hurt anyone’s feelings. Give me a break. It’s comedy.

36. Torella says:

This should tell everyone it is time to cancell the show once and for all and leave it just like it is. These 2 departures is a sign that the show must not continue. Please no replacements for Kelly and Kathy cause the show wotn be the same.

Kathy probably thought she could fill Joan shoes so she gave it a try and at least she acknowledge she could not do it and did not feel she was up for the challenge.

E! has to cancel the show and Melissa Rivers should support the decision if E! decides to do it so. I bet celebs will be thrilled to know if the show is cancel.

37. Marmar says:

Kathy Griffin is no loss and certainly not Kelly Osborn! It wil be hard for anyone to fill Joan River’s shoes – period but Kathy Griffin was not the right choice.

38. Heathers says:

Thank gawd. She’s an effin pig!

39. Jim J. says:

This news makes me sorry for even thinking that Kathy Griffin was the perfect successor to Joan Rivers upon Rivers’s death. I’ve heard the negative opinions, and “Fashion Police” is really a terrible program, Joan Rivers or no Joan Rivers, and Kathy Griffin really sucks. They should practically just dump the show right now.

I wish there were other shows commenting on and criticizing celebrities’ Emmy, Oscar, Golden Globe, etc. fashion.

40. JoeT says:

I thought Kathy was a good replacement for Joan. Not sure what Kelly found do worrisome the show has always cut sharply. But maybe the show can morph into a real show on fashion, with fewer punchlines. Will watch if it continues, will not lose sleep if it does not.

41. Fann says:

The show without Joan was not fun. No one can replace JOAN

42. Cearce says:

Griffin was a fresh voice and much as I valued Joan Rivers’ contributions to many aspects of entertainment, her humor seemed to me to be out of place and ugly in a show about style. I watched for her co-hosts–Rancic, Osbourne, and Kotsiopoulos–and because I liked seeing the pretty people. I looked forward to more of Kathy Griffin, Osbourne and Rancic and I was trying to like Goreski, but after the loss of Griffin and Osbourne and after Rancic’s peculiarly insensitive remark about Zendaya, I am less interested. I do wish the show focused more on the value of women in ways beyond their looks. It’s time, people.

43. B says:

Goreski, George, Rachel Zoe, and Nicole Richie would be the best panel! Goreski, Zoe, and Richie have history and George was on the show from the beginning and his absence hurt the series! George, Goreski, and Zoe are stylist to the stars and Nicole Richie is a fashion icon and designer!

44. Shells says:

So funny that she speaks against making fun of bodies and promoting the idea of perfection all the while donning her breast implants, face lifts and whatever else she’s had done! That’s the joke, right there!

45. Miamenu says:

its time for the show t respectfully bow out. Its never going to be the same, they have tried and the experiment failed its time to move on.