Exclusive

American Idol: Top 11's 'Party Song' Spoilers Revealed!

First, the bad news: The remaining contestants of American Idol Season 14 have missed their chance to bring MC Lyte’s “Cold Rock a Party” back into the public consciousness.

The good news? TVLine’s got your exclusive first look at the full list of song spoilers for tonight’s two-hour installment (8/7c on Fox) — the first live telecast of the season.

Not only will the Top 12 perform for the second time this week — under the fairly loose theme of “Get the Party Started” — but one singer will be eliminated (most likely at the end of the telecast) based on voting results of Wednesday night’s “Audition Song Redux” extravaganza.

(Fret not, Joey Cook’s absence from the Season 14 group photo above appears to be coincidental, since the official American Idol Twitter account confirms she was indeed on the red carpet at the Top 12 finalists party where it was snapped.)

Anyhow, here’s the full set list for the episode:

Adanna Duru – Bruno Mars’ “Runaway Baby”
Jax – Taylor Swift’s “Blank Space”
Joey Cook – Iggy Azalea (feat. Charlie XCX)’s “Fancy”
Maddie Walker – Jason Aldean’s “She’s Country”
Sarina Joi-Crowe – Demi Lovato’s “Neon Lights”
Tyanna Jones – Janelle Monae’s “Tightrope”
Clark Beckham – The Doobie Brothers’ “Takin’ It to the Streets”
Daniel Seavey – Pharrell Williams’ “Happy”
Nick Fradiani, Jr. – Avicii’s “Wake Me Up”
Rayvon Owen – Ellie Goulding’s “Burn”
Qaasim Middleton – Paul McCartney & Wings’ “Jet”
Quentin Alexander – Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep”

What’s more, Empire‘s Jussie Smollett and Bryshere “Yazz” Gray will perform the Season 1 soundtrack cut “No Apologies” during the episode, while possible future Emmy nominee Taraji P. Henson (who stars on the smash-hit drama as the inimitable and wildly quotable Cookie Lyon) making an appearance.

Whose song choices are you digging? Whose are making you say “Yikes!”? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. zac says:

Rooting for Clark but he really needs to pick a song that’s quite recent. And please let that Daniel kid finish in 12th place.

2. daynamoet says:

Yay for my Empire peeps performing toninght, that hould Ido that etra boost in ratings. But nay to the fact this is party songs week and I see no Beyonce, no MJ, no Janet, I mean what kin of party songs were thy thinking of? The only song choice I actually really like s “Fancy” and oddly enough Joey is singing it and haven’t been her biggest fan, but sh could have the most surrising performance out of everyone, i jst hope she doesn’t change the arrangement too much. Is “Rolling in the Deep” really a party song? I think my boy Quentin could’ve a better song. Nick’s choice is predictable. don’t know Clark’s song, hopefully it’s current but not sure. Tyanna definitely taking a page out of Majesty Rose handbook. Sick of hearing “Runaway baby” guess “Neon Lights” is good for Sarina, but I really wanted her to do Beyonce. I guess “Burn” is ok for Rayvon, I just would’ve likd for him to a more usher/chris bron/JT type of song. I don’t know Qaasim’s choice so I’ll keep an open mind. I Jax going to slow down “Blank Space” probably. I’m not sure anyone will make me dance this week. Hopeflly the little boy gets eliminated so I don’t have to hear him sing “Happy” wich will make me very happy.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

“Takin it to the Streets” current? Have you heard the Doobie Brothers? That was the title track of their 1976 album, their first with Michael McDonald as lead singer. A snoozy rock radio staple for a decade, but hardly a party song.

• Marsha says:

I can see Qaasim doing Jet. Very high energy song Also cool lyrics

3. sillyemmy says:

Is Clark Beckham is just saying to himself, “Hmmm… let’s see what Taylor Hicks sang in his season…”?

• Holly says:

Poor Clark! I love him, and I love that song (big Doobies fan, yes I’m dating myself.) However, Clark needs to pick something current if he is going to survive!

• Meme says:

I don’t agree. To me, he could pick any song from thirty or forty years ago and make it his own thereby making it current. He has a voice and a great way of delivering.

• Puchinsmom says:

Yes, Meme. I agree. I am really OLD and I love oldies AND a lot of the current stuff.If a song is sung well, and isn’t boring or conversely so changed as to be a mess, and if the singer has stage presence, then what in the name of entertainment does it matter when the song came from? Old people don’t need only old songs. I hope younger people don’t only like the current stuff.
          That said, I could live without the really tired theme nights. Sick of Motown night, and Beatles night. Etc. Not there aren’t great songs there, but for whatever reason we just keep getting the same old, same old. Groundhog Day!!!

• Holly, I wouldnt worry too much. I think America must like some oldies because the last 2 winners of The Voice and AI were Caleb and CWB who both did older songs.He is really good and isnt going anywhere!

• Clark is nowhere as talented as Taylor, nor is he performer Taylor is/was. Taylor was an entertainer as well as great singer. Clark only can sing in his style. Sorta like Taylor-lite.

• Simon says:

I’m trying so hard not to be one of those internet trolls that attacks people with a different opinion, but Taylor Hicks? Really? All I’m gonna say is I could not possibly disagree more. I’ll leave it at that for the sake of being civil.

4. Gaby says:

My ears hurt at just the thought of Daniel singing “happy”

5. Mike says:

Ill give my kidneys up just not to see (and hear) Daniel’s performance of Happy.

6. Jon148 says:

Why is it called the Top 11 when there is still 12 of them or is it because one of them won’t sing……I don’t like these same night eliminations didn’t like it when DWTS did it and don’t really care for it with Idol either……rather them just do the 30 minute result show

7. Tracey says:

Why oh why do these singers even try to attempt to sing an Adele song? All they end up doing is proving they CAN’T sing an Adele song. Stick to what you know. Adele and anything from Heart should be off limits to anyone and everyone.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

This makes me sad also. I have no doubt that Quentin can nail this song–if he gets a chance to sing. But this is one of those songs that should be on the retired list.

• Mary says:

I am hoping he surprises us but really Quentin do you want to go home. Maybe he is forced into singing it small list. I am so over that song Happy and the fact that Daniel is singing it has put me over the top. Clark, sings well but my gosh he doesn’t know any current songs.

• Kate says:

So this might come as a huge surprise but while Adele is a lovely, warm, creative person and has great charism and aura on stage…she is technically speaking a horrible singer. Thank god she has her tone but other than that her affected style of singing is very unhealthy. It is no wonder that she has had various difficulties with her chords. I study vocal performance and she is frequently mentioned by different professors as an example for unhealthy pop technique (as are f.e. Alicia Keys who can barely sing in tune anymore). Just saying

• Oh Yes Agreed! Ann Wilson of Heart is sooooo good!

• Gailer says:

How is this song a party song?! Headslap

8. Jake says:

I so love to party and get down to…Rolling in the Deep…nothing says “good times” like an Adele club banger

9. Kate says:

Really? I’ve been comparing Tyanna to Majesty Rose for weeks and now she’s doing Tightrope? ATTENTION TYANNA: DO NOT LET IT GO.

10. Hayder B. Hayden says:

I don’t know what kind of party this kids are going to, but I hate this play list. Where are the real party songs, like

1 Get the Party Started – Pink
    18. SOS – Rihanna
    19. That’s Not My Name – TIng Tings
    20. Enjoy Yourself – The Specials

and for Daniel

21. Tequila

• marie says:

PERFECT choice for Daniel! LOL!

• GOOD SELECTION Hayder B Hayden FLASHLIGHT brings back some good time memories! Hey What about Carwash, Prince Party like its 1999, or even a good ACDC song! ACDC really “brought it” opening the grammys. Everyone looked so happy to see them perform!

11. Peggy Micsky says:

Worst contestants ever, chosen by a bias toward blacks, especially with JLo. All they have to do is scream, dress like a fool and she just loses it. Keith and Harry have to prove their non-bias and politically correctness and JLo doesn’t even make an effort to hide it. Why do they get to pick two after America has voted. Does it surprise anyone that they picked two blacks? Used to love AI but I’ve lost interest in it because it’s so phoney and politically correct, it’s sickening.

• Mary says:

Wow racist much. They actually picked the two who deserved another chance if you ask me. I guess you have no problem not being politically correct, but have you maybe tried a little class in expressing your opinion.

• Brandon says:

Sorry, but you’re wrong.

• Angela says:

And the award for the most ignorant, ridiculous comment in this thread goes to…

• Adrian says:

Okay dude just say you don’t like Quentin and Adanna but don’t make the comment aimed towards Black people as a whole. That makes me so sick when people do that. And Why give her any time of day and slam her? The right people out of those on the bench because I sure is hell wasn’t gonna sit and watch them choose Adam or Mark.

• Debby says:

I also noticed that AI seems to be politically correct these days by having 3 white and 3 black contestants on both the guys and girls in the top 12. I think that this will be the last season of this show, which is sad, because of the new format. I wonder who the viewers actually voted into the top 12 and not just the top 10? I know I will not be watching anymore. It is not about talent anymore! Come on! Daniel? He’s a cute kid, but hasn’t found his voice! Speaking of the Voice…that’s where I will be!

• Pedro Blanco says:

You definitely a bigot. For the first time in years they have have very deserving black singers. You obviusly, don’t know much about music, if you think they can’t sing. This is a good year for singers. Normally, I prefer the Voice. But think they are pretty equal. The problem with America is that all most people look at is colr. and that is sadly your reality!

• wen says:

Wow. “a bias towards blacks” – maybe this is a joke post because I can’t believe someone would reveal themselves to be this racist. I’ve lost interest in this show too but not because of “a bias towards blacks” Ohmygod. It’s so sad.

• Ugh! They were the best talent to go forward! By the way, your comment is disgusting! Keep it to yourself if you are racist. People dont want to hear that. By the way, I am a member of DONT SHOOT PDX, BLACK LIVES MATTER!

12. Kal says:

Is someone going to inform Clark that he isn’t on a new incarnation of American Idol titles “The Search For A Superstar Who Performs Song Popular Before They Were Born?”

I mean, seriously. The Doobie Brothers? Did he call his mother to ask what was a popular party song when she was hip? The judges have GOT to call him out on song choice.

• karenb says:

Honestly I don’t think the contestants picked any of these songs. They were probably assigned. Either that or Clark drew the short stick haha

13. Mike spetz says:

I think Clark Beckham’s “Takin’ It To The Streets” will be outstanding!

• Kal says:

I don’t think it will do him any favors for votes. Does anyone actually think someone below the age of …I’ll give it some wiggle room and say 21 is going to say “wow, i love that song and i’m going to go vote for him.” Their mothers and grandmas? YES. But them..naw.

• Mary says:

Tough to say, but my son appreciates the older songs more than modern radio so yes some will vote. Personally I wish he picked a more current song so this “older” one probably won’t be voting for him unless it is a knock out performance.

14. marie says:

Qaasim: Interesting choice. Wonder how that will play out.
    Clark: I’ve loved the Doobie Brothers for 40-something years. But he needs to take a chance on a contemporary song or risk being labeled irrelevant.
    Quentin: Rolling in the Deep has been covered so many times on singing competition shows, but I am VERY excited to hear his take on it!

I. DO. NOT. WANT. TO. HEAR. DANIEL. ATTEMPT. TO. SING. “HAPPY.”

• Puchinsmom says:

Marie, I don’t want to hear Daniel sing ANYTHING ever, but that’s why the TV gods invented fast forward! I never watch without it, and I always end up using it with several people every year. BUT I always listen for a bit to make sure it’s not going better than expected. Happens sometimes. ( so far never with Daniel).
      BTW, I liked Happy last year when Majesty Rose sang it. But she was so infectious.

• Jac says:

Marie. Laugh. Out. Loud. (Too. True. <[:-D.)

15. Kenneth Chow says:

The girls song choices all seem like they are good fits for them…while, the boys, I’m not happy about Happy for Daniel, mainly because I want him to go…and why do Clark and Qaasim pick songs that are 50 years old…it makes me feel like they think are old fashioned… And why Quentin why????….*URGH*…in short, I don’t like any of the guys choices except Nick…

16. marie says:

My first attempt at commenting seems to have been lost in cyberspace, so if this is a duplicate, please pardon me.
    Qaasim: Interesting choice. Let’s see how that works for him. I really enjoy his performances so I hope it DOES work.
    Clark: I’ve been a Doobie Brothers fan for 40-something years, and I love this song, but he needs to sing a more contemporary song pronto if he doesn’t want to be deemed irrelevant.
    Quentin: Adele’s song has been done to death on singing competition shows, but I’m very excited to hear his take on it.
    I. DO. NOT. WANT. TO. HEAR. DANIEL. SEAVEY. ATTEMPT. TO. SING. “HAPPY.”

• Timmah says:

Clark is being smart. Most of Idol’s viewers are over 50. The path to winning this show is to stick to the oldies.

• marie says:

I’m not so sure about singing nothing but old songs; I don’t know many of the newer songs I hear on Idol but I enjoy hearing them and appreciate being introduced to new material. As I recall, last year’s winner performed a mix of older and newer songs, didn’t he?

• Meme says:

… and to have a voice that is so good that people want to hear it again.

17. Chris says:

It’s time for Daniel to go. How did he ever make it this far? I think the young girls vote for him just because he’s cute. That’s too bad because this is a singing contest and he can’t sing. I love Clark and Tyanna.

18. Rowan says:

I’m thrilled to see Tyanna singing Tightrope, though I do think there are better Janelle Monae songs out there.

19. JJ says:

Clark Beckham is morphing into the new Taylor Hicks.

20. donna says:

OY! I love qassim, but this song is awful. it doesnt have a great melody or rhythm, it’s hard to dance to and on the other hand– it doesn’t show much of vocal talent. i saw his youtube videos and he is amazing dancer, the choreography he had on the last two performances were not good combined with avg singing. i really hope he will survive this week and will deliver something solidnext week cuz he is super talented on all fronts

• Mary says:

Actually I think it might be a smart move showing that he can sing because the last few performances, although entertaining, were not that great vocally. If he can deliver the vocal without the dance moves people will say he got the chops, right now he is fun to watch but honestly I probably wouldn’t purchase his music after the show, which is why I wouldn’t vote for him.

21. moonriver22 says:

Random comments: First, “Happy” is a great song when done right. An older black lady (descriptive, not racist!) did it on The Voice last week and she was phenomenal. The problem is it’s an easy tune for average singers to use. Daniel will be a disaster.

The one I’m really looking forward to is Jax and Blank Space. I love her song choices and what she does with them.

As for Clark and his oldies, there’s nothing wrong with this. Lots of people love this stuff, and it’s not age related. Look at how many ancient tunes Caleb used. It didn’t hurt him any!

22. Pedro Blanco says:

Very sorry to see Lauren Lott get voted off there were several people that should have been off way before her. She brought it every week. Think by the time they get to the 24, it shoulld not be decided by gender but by talent. This is not a dance competition Like SYTYCD. No couples here!

23. Tara D says:

I love Quentin. Cannot believe he wasn’t voted through. Daniel needs to go home. Tonight’s song choices look fun!

24. Jill Moy says:

Maybe Daniel can handle Happy, a song a cockroach can sing!

25. JESSICA says:

I love. Maddy. Waker

26. Me. says:

Love to finally see someone sing another TS song. Can’t wait to see Jax tackle Blank space.

27. Jill Moy says:

Weak links are Daniel and Joey! Nobody ever liked Daniel as a singer! Someone please tell me what is the attraction of Joey, who is goofy and can’t sing a lick! Tell me PLEASE!

28. Judy D says:

I have been watching Idol since season 1. I will not watch it this season. The one and only contestant was not in the top 12 and that was Loren Lott! What the heck??? I’m so upset!! I’ve never been wrong about the best of the best, but this one really stumped me!!

29. Akdar says:

I used to think the there was too much fluff in AI and results shows were useless, but it turns out that the current format with rushed one hour shows that include also announcing the results suck much more. Songs are reduced to snippets, we barely get to see each contestant, and as they perform right after it is announced that they are advancing, they are all bursting with excitement that they have made it and are totally unable to concentrate on their performance and on the fact that they need to fight to stay on the show the next week. Many performances have been ruined by this.

30. Deborah says:

Doobie Brothers? AWESOME!!! I’d like to see some Steely Dan too!

31. I like Quentin doing rolling in the deep. I think if he does it more like John Legend it could be great.

I’m not feeling Joey’s but only because I keep thinking of is the Weird Al version called Handy. If she over takes the song and kicks in a whole new band arrangement then it has potential

32. Brother Andy says:

Quentin Alexander is the perfect blend of Adam Lambert (showman), Lenny Kravitz (style), and Jimi Hendrix (creativity). Why the constant comments about pitch — who knows? What he needs is to do is his own materials in his own way, customized, and he could be the mega-superstar he deserves to be. AI is a great platform to gain attention but actually too narrow for what he has to offer — heart, spirit, soul, sex appeal. Others may be more “technical”, more show-offy, more “polished”, but he is more appealing because he’s real and “raw”. I haven’t cared about any of this smaltz for 14 yrs, but after 30 yrs in show biz, I can spot a legend in the making. Mr. Alexander needs to sing, act, write, design, and speak for his generation. His voice could change history if presented correctly.

33. David Taggert says:

Joey Cook And Qaasim are terrible!!!! Shouldn’t have even made the top 12… the judges are a joke with their comments!!!

34. Vivian says:

Have you ever heard the saying ” if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all”!

35. Vivian says:

Say what you want but Daniel is doing GREAT!!!

36. Rebecca says:

The mentor seemed to have lots of advice fkr the white singers and said next to nothing or talked about the clothing they were wearing..thrift store..
    Was annoying. I want to hear eaual feedback for all contestants.