Post Mortems

Post Mortem: Hindsight Boss Talks Becca's Love Life, Cliffhanger Mystery

Hindsight Season 1 Finale

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Wednesday’s episode of Hindsight.

“I want to go back!”

That’s a line not from Lost, but from Wednesday’s season finale of Hindsight, which found Becca once again destroying her friendship with Lolly despite trying to fix the past. (That’ll happen when your BFF finds out you’ve been hiding the fact that you had an affair in the future with the guy she loves.)

Now, Becca is screaming to go back — but to where? To find out the answer to that question — as well as  how all this time traveling is happening — TVLine chatted with creator Emily Fox. (VH1, if you’re reading, we so need a Season 2 after that cliffhanger!)

TVLINE | When Becca says, “I want to go back, I want to go back,” is she talking about going back to 2015 or starting this whole thing over again in 1995?
She feels like she’s hit rock bottom. She’s taken what looked to be a golden opportunity and it’s turned to straw. She has reached a moment of such desperation, and she knows in her bones that she’s screaming at nothingness. She has this feeling of being completely alone. Going into this closed box and screaming at the abyss is a moment of great desperation on her part and Hindsight Season 1 Finalegreat defeat. We all want to go back, without being super specific about where we want to go back to. The real message is, “I’ve got to get out of here.” She realizes, as she’s realized continually from the beginning, that she’s playing with fire and it doesn’t matter where you are, because you’re always going to have to face your problems, your decisions, the consequences of your decisions.

TVLINE | When the doors open, it seems like she’s looking up at somebody. Is it supposed to imply there’s somebody outside the doors?
We joked in the writers’ room that the doors open and there’s a T-rex. [Laughs] Be careful what you wish for! I don’t want to give anything away about what’s outside the elevator, but we loved the idea of the mystery. Suffice it to say, it’s an interesting moment.

TVLINE | In your head, do you know which of these many, many guys Becca is meant to be with?
I think I do, yes. We don’t have a second season pickup, but we have a grand design of what could potentially happen. We have always come into this with a bigger picture and understanding of what’s going on. You have to do that if you have a time-travel show, or you better have it. [Laughs] You better have some road map, or you’re going to get super, super lost. In my mind, even though a lot of Season 1 focused on Becca’s romantic jigsaw puzzles, we’ve always had the notion that this is bigger than just love. There’s more to it than figuring out who Becca’s supposed to be with romantically. Obviously, we focused on the friendship with Lolly, and that was one of the great joys… writing a female friendship that felt authentic and intimate without being romantic, because that’s just fun to write. A big part of being in your 20s is figuring out who you want to be and who you want to be with, and we definitely have a notion of Becca’s continuing journey.

TVLINE | If you do get a Season 2, will you explore how this is all happening?
Yeah, that was always our intention for continuing to tell the story. With a story like this, the design was always to tell a story that started out feeling very intimate and then build upon that… We’ve always taken a very philosophical approach to the show itself. It’s never meant to be an instructional video on time travel, because we all know that time travel is impossible. We’re not going to have a flux capacitor. With that said, you want to feed the imagination of the audience by giving them more and more and more… You start to see the plants growing from all the seeds that you buried in Season 1, and if we have the opportunity to do a Season 2, we’re hoping to see a lot of those start to bloom.

Hindsight Season 1 FinaleTVLINE | There’s a lot of curiosity about the bar patron/newsstand guy (played by Collins Pennie) that Becca encountered. Does he have to do with the mythology?
I won’t say yes or no, but he’s definitely a significant character in our confection of the mythology. I’d say he’s one to watch, without giving too much away. I love that people speculate about him. It brings me joy to see [online comments] like, “My husband and I had a long talk about that guy.” I’m so happy people are talking to their husbands about this show. That’s, to me, the victory in all of this. It’s such a female-driven show… so the fact that a lot of guys are like, “I made my girlfriend watch this show with me,” that’s amazing. It thrills me to my core. There’s lot of strong male points of view in this show through these various guys. It was always supposed to be a show about Becca, but also be a show about her group of people. All the men in her life, including her brother, are drawn very distinctly, and I’m glad people are interested in the guys as well.

What did you think of Hindsight‘s mysterious ender? Is Becca really as terrible a person as Lolly said? And what’s your theory on Pennie’s stranger? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. Amber says:

I’m going to be very upset if Hindsight doesn’t get a season 2!

2. Kerio says:

Hindsight is the highlight of my week!!! We haaaave to have a season two!!! And a date would be super great? :))

• Margo says:

It’s also a highlight of the week for me. I think it’s terrible that great shows like these often don’t see itself to completion. Be it because of poor reviews or not enough hype. It becomes very disheartening. I thoroughly enjoy this show and the adventure it has taken me on. I look forward to a season two, and possibly more. I will be devastated if “Hindsight” isn’t continued!

• Poppy says:

It was cancelled because advertisers weren’t interested. I guess since it was based in the 90’s they couldn’t get any current “products” to slip in and sell. Idk. Very frustrating

3. Sandra says:

UGH I am hooked on this show. Becca and I are the same age and I love love the music clothes etc… need to have a second series!!

4. Helena says:

VH1 needs to renew Hindsight. It’s such a great show.

5. Sydney says:

I truly loved the entire season of Hindsight. I wish the writers focused more on Becca’s career options as a result of her reliving her past- appreciating all the mistakes she made not only in her personal life but in her professional life as well. Hope to see Season 2!!

6. Tee says:

Hah, ‘many, many guys’ …

I know, right? It felt like too much, too intense, for such a short period of time. I can always tell when my best friend’s watches the latest ep on her dvr because I start getting rant texts about Becca’s love life.

I hope if the show gets renewed they show more with her career.

7. Ann says:

Becca is not a terrible person. She deserves a chance to redeem herself.

8. Fiona says:

I can’t take it!

9. Ginny says:

Oh m gosh I love this show! It has to come back!!!!! I didn’t realize tonight was the season finale and I just about had a fit when I figured it out.

10. Noemi says:

There has to be a second season! I became addicted to this show since episode one, just the thought of it ending like so ahh I’m crying

11. Lisa says:

Becca is charming and like-able but as the show progressed I began to see her as a flawed human being, someone very selfish. I am glad lolly told her off.I love this show! Can’t wait for the next season.

12. kayla says:

This is the best show I’ve seen in years! It hooked me right away. I just feel like I relate to Becca in so many ways! I love being taken back to the 90’s. I’ll be devastated if there is no season 2.

I do not think Becca is a bad person at all. She’s lost because everything is off course now and she is trying to figure life out just like everyone else. I really want her and Kevin together. I think Lolly is too unpredictable and as sweet as she can be is also immature. I do think Becca should have told her what caused their friendship to end right from the start though.

• Grace says:

I totally agree, but I’m sure Becca didn’t want Lolly to know what she had done in her past life, so that it could never poison their relationship again. And even in her past life she made a poor choice that she thought was protecting Lolly. A common mistake of what someone doesn’t know can’t hurt them. Also common is testing a relationship (like Monica and Chandler on Friends) before going public, so as not to ruin friendships. I don’t think she’s a bad person. She was an inexperienced person when she first met Kevin. And even in this lifetime there’s no road map. As much as she wants to “correct” mistakes and make things better by doing the opposite of what happened in the past, there is no way to know for sure what consequences will occur from these decisions in the new timeline. However, I think it was wise that she was trying to heed the “angel’s” admonition that the “end depends upon the beginning.” She is a good friend b/c this time she let Lolly pursue a relationship w/Kevin first, and Kevin is not interested. Even after this, Becca tried to stay away for the sake of the friendship with Lolly. She would only be selfish if she didn’t care about her friend. However, she already knows she loves Kevin. It’s like they are fated to be together, as he keeps showing up! How can you deny that you love someone? And she even tried to do it! I agree that Lolly is immature or she would appreciate that Becca is human and is trying to rectify mistakes made. Maybe she could realize how much love Becca has for her that she was trying to give up her love for her. Honestly, it is immature to dismiss a whole positive relationship b/c of one mistake that even had good intentions behind it. It is immature to think that most people can be defined by one mistake. She is a real human being, which means she isn’t perfect. Lolly should know that it’s what’s in your heart that counts. Clearly, Becca is certainly not a bad person, though at the moment she feels like one. If she were bad she wouldn’t be reeling from what Lolly said. However, even though people got hurt, she was trying to do the right thing. Breaking up with Sean even though she loved him b/c she knew it went terribly wrong in the future, was actually doing Sean a favor in the long run. Perhaps she did Andy a favor too. Who knows? That’s the brilliance of this show: it keeps you guessing.

13. rebecca says:

I love this show!!! Hooked me from the first episode!!! So different amd unique and really takes me back to a youger me in the 90s:) please have another season!!!

14. David Wolfe says:

I’m a guy who really likes this show, the characters and the whole time travel premise they use. It’s interesting to think about going back and fixing your mistakes for the last twenty years. I also think some fans are being too hard on Becca, as it’s not like she does whatever she wants without regard for those around her. She always considers her actions, it’s just you can’t always prepare for the outcomes. Regarding her romantic choices; well, her experience taught her that Sean wasn’t right for her long term, and since she was about to marry Andy in the future, thought maybe that was meant to be, but then felt the signs were saying that it wasn’t meant to be, at least not now. Then Kevin who may just be “the one” who got away, comes along, again, and who clearly had no romantic feelings for Lolly, but her future self walked away because of Lolly, and was willing to give him up this time as well. I believe it’s Lolly that is being immature and selfish, because as hurtful as may be for her, she can’t make Kevin feel something more for her and shouldn’t prevent Becca and Kevin from having a chance to be happy. Great show, great music, interesting reliving all the nostalgia, no cellphones, social media, different world. Love Becca and the whole cast, and looking forward to Season two!

15. Heather says:

More Hindsight!!!! Addicted to this show! Way better than stupid mob wives! Lol

• Ginny says:

Hear Hear! I race to turn the channel as soon as Hindsight is over… before I even catch a glimpse of Mob Wives.

16. mooshki says:

The show is way too good for VH1. I wonder how many viewers that kept away? Sure hope there’s another season!

17. Kenny North says:

I love this show, I understand it may turn off some people the concept, and I think the weird NEW TIME 9pm and then the next week changing back to 10 may have confused people or noone really noticed lol. I’d really like to have a Season 2 to continue the story. this is my “Wednesday show”. I know this show is supposedly catered to women but i’m a young straight guy who watches Walking Dead and am very happy with this show.

• Anita says:

Lol, I DVR it and have no idea what day or time it is on. I only know I’m so happy when it’s on my list to be watched!

18. Sabrina says:

Great season finale. I hope that there’ll be a second season even though the ratings are not good.

19. sareena says:

Hindsight is my new favorite show ! Waiting one week for it to come back on kills me!! Im obsessed i hope theres a season 2!

20. Alexis says:

I LOVE this show. You don’t find shows like this at all. The friendship between Becca and Lolly is amazing and you don’t find that in our day and age. I think Pennie is Becca’s mysterious guardian of some sort, he helps her think deeper about things and he’s also there for her to vent. There HAS to be a season 2!

21. We need a season 2 PLEASE!!!!!

22. oldbookworm says:

VH1, you need to pick up Hindsight for season 2, or I will disown you!

23. carol says:

Love this show. Loved the finale, but Lolly & Jamie are my favorite characters, especially Lolly. I will be crushed if it doesn’t get picked up for another season.

24. jski411 says:

Amazing show! It’s been a long time since a show has hit me so personally and deeply. I wish I could go back to 23. I lost 2 of my best friends at that age due to poor decisions and listening to the wrong people. I’m about to be 33 in a couple of weeks. 10 years younger than Becca, but I relate. I relate big time. Please pick up #hindsight for a second season. #hindsightseason2

25. Wendy says:

What we all wouldn’t do to go back and try to undo our wrongs. I love Becca. She is real. She is doing her best with her “hindsight”, but…some things are meant to be and can’t be undone, that’s life.

26. Kat says:

there NEEDS to be a season 2!!!!!

27. Jill says:

There MUST be a season 2!! I looked forward to Wednesdays since Hindsight had begun. Love the references and music. Takes me back! Laura and Sarah have incredible chemistry. Don’t let your loyal fans down!! P.S. I also DVR’d it if for some reason I couldn’t watch while it aired!

28. Wendy says:

Hope there will be a second season of Hindsight. Looked forward to Wednesday and having something to break up the monotony of the week.

29. Dee says:

I used to LOVE this show when it first started. The premise was novel, intriguing and kept me hooked. But as time went on the characters seem to have devolved from interesting to pathetic and predictable. The whole show seems more about Becca’s love affair with Lolly than anyone else. Instead of figuring out her own life we are subject to the ebb and flow of her attachment to this lilting-voiced ditzy brat Lolly who cares more about drinking, drugging and casual sex than she even will about Becca. So get off your high horse Lolly and do us a favor and disappear for Season 2. If I have to hear your wishy washy annoying voice one more time I will throw up. Either grow up or go join the cast of Romper Room where you belong. And as for you Becca, please get back on track with your storyline and get your head out of Lolly’s —–. Oh and by the way, it IS weird to want to wear your girlfriend’s robe. Maybe you should forget Shawn and Kevin and marry Lolly instead.

• slf says:

I have to agree. The premise has such potential but the plotlines have begun to amble aimlessly. First of all, how can someone be so in love with 3 guys simultaneously? Becca is way too flaky. And there’s your point about Lolly–why is Becca so obsessed with her? And despite her obsession and the ‘hindsight’ she is given why does she still allow herself to fall for Kevin? I think one angle that could be interesting but may be too late to pursue is why are both Becca and Jamie so screwed up? We know the parents get divorced so exploring the root of the family’s dysfunction could be something people can relate to. Another thing that is disappointing is Becca’s apparent lack of concern and support for Jamie. When she first came back and told Lolly what happens with him after their breakup she acts like it’s so tragic, yet she has very little interaction with him for several episodes and does virtually nothing to help him with his struggles. I could go on but I’ll stop. Suffice it to say I want to like this show and want it to continue but if the second season writing isn’t much better I doubt it will succeed.

• Yv says:

I’m thinking it’s because it’s not love with all of them. I had minor crushes on other guys while being in love with one, when I was younger.

She’s holding onto Andy because that’s who she’s been with for the last few years– and it’s her safe choice– her back up plan.

She initially clung to Sean because there was an inkling of doubt that maybe she went back to fix her end of whatever went wrong in their relationship.

But I think she’s in truly love with Kevin and they’re meant to be. But Lolly complicates that. She must’ve broken up with him his first go-round due to the pain of losing Lolly. If they had grown apart the first time, she wouldn’t be worried about falling in love with him.

• Quinncere says:

This is exactly what I said to my sister. Also, instead of walking away from Kevin, Becca called him and that’s how it started up. I do like the friendship aspect and this is how friendships used to be so it’s not hard to understand the attachment. I was yelling at my screen when Becca “let” Jamie go to The DR. Overall I enjoyed the show and hopefully they can tighten up the writing for season 2 cause I’m excited to see what happens.

30. Jeannie B says:

Please PLEASE renew this show! My “Lolly” (my BFF who I went to college with in the ’90’s) and I watch the show together each week (from different states) and text each other during the commercials. We LOVE this show, and I’ve even been able to get my husband to watch it (he adores the music). It HAS to get picked up for a second season!!!

31. Cathy says:

I love this show. It must go on.

32. Sayre says:

Was Loily too harsh on Becca? I don’t know. She did say that nothing could break up their friendship. And she could have said she needed to know what happened in the past earlier so that they could have prevented it.

33. Sayre says:

I love Lolly’s voice and mannerisms! I don’t get why people are making fun or being critical. I find her sexy and genuine!

34. Lindsay says:

Definitely hoping there will be a second season!!!

35. I graduated HS in 96–LOVE LOVE HINDSIGHT!! The music, especially the music, clothes, technology, everything seems to evoke memories of the happiest (more importantly the one time, undoubtedly, with the least amt of responsibilities) time period of my life.
    Please make a Season 2, and seasons beyond for sure! I wait with great anticipation for weds nights. I tell everyone I know how much I love the show. Please keep Hindsight going♡

36. Michelle says:

We absolutely *have* to have more of this show!!!!!! I think the person she’s stating at is the newsstand/bar guy. Love this show and I wait impatiently all week to watch!

37. Donna frarey says:

Great show. Really hope they come back. This is the 1st store I enjoy watching the out come. I liked every guy she was with do I can’t pick any of them.

38. Nat says:

Love Love Love this show ADDICTED I hope it has many more seasons to come! Hoping to get a date for Season 2 please :)

39. Mike says:

Please renew this show! I miss Being Erica and it reminds me a little of that show. I am enjoying this show very much. And I am not in my 20’s! lol

40. Ash says:

There has to be a Season 2.
    There HAS to be. You can’t do this to a person!!

41. Ash says:

Vh1
    You should be renewing Hindsight. If you don’t I sincerely hope another station decides to because it’s my new favorite show!

42. Robyn says:

There HAS to be a second season (and a third and a fourth, etc.)!!!!!! I Love this show – my husband loves it too. Who can we (the fans) write to to beg for more seasons???

43. Cassandra says:

I didnt think I would enjoy this show at first.. but i actually really like it.. i mean come on who doesnt want a do-over.. i like that it has its ups and downs.. definitely should be renewed.. I love the characters.. first show where i actually have no clue what is going to happen! please bring back a SEASON 2.. had no clue season was over until the end credits when they didnt show a new sneak peak to the episode.. so sad..

44. Amelia says:

This show is great and I hope it gets picked up with more episodes. 10 is not nearly enough.

45. Television says:

love this show…season 1 was too short.

46. Casey says:

OMG i need a real ending

47. Alexandra English says:

Please, please, please, let there be a second season! I love this show!! I need this show! It’s the only scripted show I can watch that doesn’t bore me. It seems so real! The acting is so good! Now I have nothing to watch on tv. When will season 2 come out!?

48. Wendy says:

In regards to Dee’s comment, you sure have a lot to say about a show you are displeased with? change the channel…it just takes the push of a button. I love the show and that’s why I watched it…

49. Samantha says:

I’ll be so peed off if series two is not made. Actually a joy to watch. Interesting and funny great music and just brilliant.

50. Catie McCauley says: