Gossip Girl's Chace Crawford to Lead ABC Drama Pilot Boom

Chace Crawford Boom

Former Upper East Sider Chace Crawford is getting his hands dirty this pilot season.

The Gossip Girl star has been tapped to lead ABC’s Boom, in which one of the largest oil discoveries in American history leads to an economic explosion in a North Dakota town, our sister site Deadline reports.

Crawford’s character, a natural-born hustler named Billy, moves to the town of Bakken with girlfriend Kelly in the hopes of escaping substantial debt — potentially risking both of their lives in the process. He joins previously announced cast members Don Johnson (Miami Vice) and Scott Michael Foster (Chasing Life).

Since Gossip Girl ended its six-season run in 2012, Crawford has kept a relatively low profile on the small screen, though he did appear in Glee‘s 100th episode as Dianne Agron’s emotionally-distant love interest.

Does Boom sound like something you’ll invest in? Drop a comment with your thoughts on Crawford’s casting below.

1. Steven says:

I’ll watch this. Chace is gorgeous and he was always just a glorified extra on Gossip Girl. He never got a chance to show what he can do.

• Ray says:

Boy is pretty, but he cannot act his way out of a paper bag. He has the Same monotone delivery and expressionless face no matter what the scenario.

• Jen says:

Could not agree more!

• Me says:

Lol this cracked me up..and I kind of agree..I’m not too sure he is able to captivate viewers in a lead role, supporting role; yes! BUT he is gorgeous and I’m hoping he can prove me wrong. I loved him on GG.

• Dude says:

That’s because there isn’t much he can do. He’s a pretty boy not an actor.

• H says:

After season 3 there were only 5 main characters, and he got all the lines and screen time he wanted; he just couldn’t deliver.

2. MIKE says:

Could be interesting.

3. Will says:

Wow, talk about a “what ever happened to…”
    Has he done anything post-Gossip Girl? Too lazy to check IMDb..

4. Dennis says:

Sounds like LONESTAR… which lasted two episodes. But, Chase rocks!!! Good luck to him!

5. H says:

Bummer! I was interested in this pilot, but he has yet to prove the ability to act. There are a lot of other young actors with similar pedigree and fame that would deserve a role like this. Let’s hope the producers know what they’re doing, or he might be the reason this show won’t go to series.

6. Sabrina says:

Not impressed with this casting. I don’t think Chace is a good enough actor to be able to lead this show and this makes me less interested in the pilot.

7. Me says:

I’m definitely going to watch and support him, hope he gets to show us abilities & talent he did not show on GG.

8. curtlyon19 says:

adding this actor makes it a must see for me

9. mollytanner says:

I like Chace. Nate Archibald was at his best when he was establishing a friendship with Dan Humphrey and that brief moment when he was pursuing Jenny. I don’t know why they didn’t just go with Nate and Jenny. Now whatever happened to Ed Westwick he was by far the one who was singled out as the actor with most potential?

• Anna says:

Ed Westwick was the most polarizing because how disgusting Chuck could be. In terms of talent Leighton Meester and Blake Lively were always front and center.

10. dr says:

Chace is GORGEOUS! And this sounds a great opportunity! I will definitely catch up! Missed him so much.

11. In my opinion, I would not do anything for less than $20.
    It is not a good idea to rely on driving
    around the wealthy neighborhoods the day before trash pickup and scouting for old computers;
    you’ll end up spending more on gas and time looking for the stuff than you will
    ever end up profiting from it. By good morale we mean esprit de corps
    — a fellowship that’s created by working together in a common enterprise.

12. tsevca says:

I thought it was something historical reading the description. Trailer showed just a Dallas wanna-be.