The Good Wife Mystery Solved! Where Is Jess Weixler's Robyn?

Is R. Kelly’s most ridiculous hit destined to play on an upcoming installment of The Good Wife?

Because from the way showrunner Robert King tells it, Florrick-Agos-Lockhart’s plucky (and currently MIA) investigator Robyn Burdine is trapped in the closet of the CBS drama’s tumultuous law firm.

They never let her out,” King said with a chuckle at last weekend’s PaleyFest, after TVLine asked him to explain the fan favorite’s absence since the second episode of The Good Wife‘s current season. But fret not: She’s still employed as an investigator at the firm — despite the fact that the hiring of Archie Panjabi’s Kalinda might’ve made her redundant.

“The secret obviously is that Jess Weixler is in L.A. and going out on auditions,” explained King. “We didn’t want to lose her or kill her off because we love the actress so much.”

While King’s admission that Weixler is seeking new acting opportunities is a pretty sure sign that the show does not plan to promote her to series-regular status in Season 7 — after Panjabi’s P.I. makes her planned exit — he sounded optimistic that viewers haven’t seen the last of her, either.

“Whenever or if Robyn can come out of that office she’s in that we never see, just like those decks on Star Trek that you never see, she’ll be right back in the thick of things,” he said. “We’re big fans. It all comes down to what Mark Saks, our casting director, can get/make happen.”

Relieved to hear Robyn didn’t get axed? Anxious to see her back in the mix with Diane, Cary and Alicia? Sound off in the comments!

(With additional reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. K says:

I really love her character and now that Kalinda’s gone, I’d love to see her promoted. Jess is so good at playing her. Hurry up and make her a regular! I’d rather see a familiar face be the PI rather than just hiring someone new

2. Diva DIary says:

Just hire her already. Someone needs to replace Kalinda when she’s gone.

3. cuius says:

After this week’s episode I think a few more should be looking for new jobs

4. Steven says:

They really should promote her to regular status. I just hope the show gets renewed for that final season.

5. Lois Potasch says:

Serious good character – and The Good Wife is wasting her. One of the few mis-steps that the program has made.

• Lincoln says:

They’ve made a ton of mis-steps this season after having been excellent every year before this..

• Lois Potasch says:

You are right – there have been several mis-steps this season. #1 being the campaign – without the interaction between the main characters, this show loses opportunities to excel.

• It was really hard for the Kings to top last year’s universally acclaimed season, Julianna Margulies said in an interview, that when they wrapped up season 5 that they were thinking, “okay how are we going to top this season”, and they ultimately decided to try something different such as Alicia running for SA. While I agree this season hasn’t been the best, I still think it’s pretty amazing! It’s hard to really top season 5, because it was just unbelievably amazing and with the exit of Will (one of the most beloved characters on the show) they decided to take a different approach in this season.

6. johnhelvete says:

I would like to point out that Jess Weixler directed a movie in 2014 that is coming out soon. This might be another reason she has not been available this season.

7. D. says:

I really loved Robyn and Jess Weixler, too bad they couldn’t make it happen (because of money, it seems)

8. Nate says:

Yeah, Robyn just needs to be made a regular, post-haste. I get the Kalinda redundancy, but with that character out of the way, the only excuse for not bringing Jess Weixler back full time is that they’re developing a spinoff for her.

9. Carlie says:

I like Robyn because she brings a youthfulness to an ageing (respectfully) cast. She’s fun and optimistic. As a younger viewer I like to feel represented.

10. Jason Paul says:

Has Good Wife been renewed? It’s ratings are pretty bad despite it being one of the highest quality shows on broadcast. I agree that this season with the campaign hasn’t been my favorite.

11. mollytanner says:

The Good Wife is usually so purposeful and meticulously planned that the way it drops characters is weird, like Robyn and Nathan Lane’s character and Taye Diggs’ character. Not even a sentence or two mention of, “oh, he left he’s in NY now” or something like that.

12. Gerald says:

If Robyn is not replacing Kalinda then how about bringing back Scott Porter’s Blake. He had good chemistry with the cast, can’t remember exactly how his storyline ended. He likely needs to be redeemed in some way. As far as I can tell Hart of Dixie is wrapping up this season.

13. Candy says:

The show just isn’t as good this year as in the past. Too many story lines going on and a little boring.

14. aph1976 says:

Since The Good Wife is mostly filmed in NYC maybe Jess Weixler likes working in Los Angeles.Maybe next season TGW will make her a regular once Archie Panjabi’s Kalinda is gone.

15. Carol says:

If and when Kalinda leaves I will no longer watch the Good Wife. I loved her part in the show. Julianne got rid of Charles now Kalinda, whose next on her chopping block. The show is not that good any more

16. Soooo, this tells us nothing. Hire her, we like her. Poop or get off the pot.

17. Danyele says:

I love Jess Weixler. She shines as Robin. Don’t replace her, the fans want her to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. racingphan says:

#SaveRobyn

19. rockerapau says:

I do hope they make Robyn a regular character, she’s so fun to watch. Also, I’m tired of characters getting killed or disappeared or threatened to be killed… The show needs some stability returned. I am very sad to see Kalinda go but I would feel ok if Robyn stayed in her place rather than someone new.
    Alicia needs to divorce Peter already! enough is enough! He can stay in the show, just split them up, change things up that way rather than shuffling law firms all the time. I enjoyed the first few seasons so much because of the depth in the cases and the interactions amongst the lawyers, now the cases just seem like fillers for some boring campaign “plot.”
    But if there are no more campaigns, you have to find a way to keep Eli, he is the best, he is soooo funny, please give him a girlfriend, he deserves a little fun. I also love Eli’s daughter and their dialogues together, such a fun dynamic.
    Oh and Alicia, stop kissing random people, you guys need to develop a new love interest for her, LOVE interest, something juicy and tender at the same time not random weird mood kisses that mean nothing.