The Bachelorette Shocker: 25 Men Will Choose Between Two Ladies

Feminism suffered another sucker-punch at the hands of ABC’s reality-dating franchise on Monday night when Chris Harrison announced the upcoming season of The Bachelorette will begin with a runoff election between Kaitlyn Bristowe and Britt Nilsson.

Yes, the series that typically puts the power in the hands of its titular female singleton will begin by allowing its male competitors to strike the first blow.

“We actually decided not to decide: For the first time in Bachelorette history, we’re gonna have two bachelorettes,” Harrison explained cheerily. “The 25 men on Night 1 are going to have the ultimate say about who they think would make the best wife.”

The host did not provide any additional particulars about how the pack of men will settle on their pursuer.

“It’s an amazing opportunity,” said Britt. “It’s more than I can comprehend.”

“I think we discussed we’ll end up in the same hot tub at one point,” added the typically sarcastic Kaitlyn.

“Some lucky damn guys!” added Harrison, who, if he felt any embarrassment about the twist, certainly did a good job of hiding it.

The role-reversal start to the season is not unprecedented: In Season 6 of The Bachelor, the “ladies” chose between two potential rose-givers: Byron Velvick and Jay Overby. (Velvick “won” the election, though Mary Delgado, the woman he proposed to at the end of the series, was arrested for battery two years later after punching Velvick and giving him a bloody lip.)

The Bachelorette is set to premiere Monday, May 18, according to Harrison, while Bachelor in Paradise will return for Season 2 over the summer.

Thoughts on the twist? And will you be rooting for hilarious Kaitlyn or weepy drama-queen Britt? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

• Lucifer says:

I find it entertaining that so many people are extremely upset over this and are immediately bringing sexism into what is clearly a gimmick and nothing else. You know, reality shows rely on gimmicks as they begin to age and dip in the ratings. Also, they did the same thing on The Bachelor years back and nobody got all offended. #firstworldproblems

• Hilarysaurus says:

I was coming here to say almost the exact same thing. We live in an age where people apparently sit around waiting for something to be upset about.

1. Cathy says:

Hope it’s Kaitlyn in the end. I don’t think I can stand a whole season of Britt fake crying and letting us know how special she is.

• Timmah says:

I’ve got a simple solution to that. If Britt wins, I won’t be watching.

• Christina says:

Amen.

• Ames says:

Same here. There is only so much hair flipping I can take.

• Amy Knight says:

I won’t watch if Kaitlyn wins as only so much trash acting and swearing that I can take. Lol.. U people crack me up on how shallow minded U can be. Remember to not cast judgement on others. Especially on those U don’t even know and only basing it off of what u hear and think u see on TV..

• Suze says:

I wont watch if its Britt. The teeth licking, hair flipping and her spoiled baby attitude are a complete turn off…I like Kaitlyn…So I will be rooting for her :)

• Amy Knight says:

Teeth licking ? What r u talking about? Omg.. Let’s watch a trailer trash girl instead who swears, takes her bathing suit bottoms off in a group date to jump in a murky swamp and acts like a man instead… Hmm sounds like a real class act there.
        Team Brit All the Way!🌹🌹

2. Becca says:

This is idiotic. The whole point is for the bachelor or bachelorette to have choice on their season. This eliminates that. And will men leave if the girl they hoped for isn’t chosen on night 1? Will both girls stay on for the entire season? Dumb.

• POTO says:

I have read elsewhere that the Bachelor season where this was done had the men who voted for the losing lady also leaving on Night 1. That could conceivably cut the men to a mere 13 after the first episode.

• Timmah says:

The men applied for this show long before they knew who the bachelorette(s) was going to be.

3. J.B. says:

Yes, cause The Bachelorette has always been a hallmark of feminist empowerment.

4. gs says:

I just read the recap, I didn’t actually watch the episode, so I’m a bit confused. While the guys choose who they want to date on night 1, and whoever gets the most votes will be the Bachelorette? Or will the guys get to decide who they will date over the rest of the season?

• Mary says:

They did this once for the Bachelor. Two men started out the night with 25 women, then the women voted on which guy they wanted to be the Bachelor. The men had their backs turned so they could not see the voting process.

• Deliaa says:

I think that both women should stay and Duke it out! Why should 25 people be at the whim of one person? This concept is way more fun and the women will still have the upper hand over the men. So they each pick the top three taking turns picking night one. They go on one on one dates with their top three and then the next week they go on dates with the other person’s top three. They each eliminate two and then they continue until they have dated all the Men and then they make their choices.

• Amy Knight says:

That sounds good and I think that the producers are going to do something different than what they did before in The Bachelor with 2 guys on night one. I agree completely with this concept! It’s much more sensible! ❤️

5. God help the show if Britt is the one picked. I don’t really see them keeping it a secret though, the girl who doesn’t get picked will be back soon enough.

6. Marge says:

10 steps back for ABC who has been doing pretty good with it’s female-led and driven shows. Of course, this is trashy reality tv but still…
    I hope the season crashes and burns because this is abhorrent.

7. Carlyq80 says:

I hope whoever “wins ” immediately ditches whoever votes for the other girl…

• patti says:

hosnestly who do u think the guys will pick, britt of course, shes goergous.

• Dude says:

You’re crazy if you think she’s prettier than Kaitlyn.

• I agree that she is, but Kaitlyn is hardly bad on the eyes. I don’t think Britt’s beauty will make or break which of them connects with they guys.

• Amy Knight says:

She is both inside and out and I don’t see why other viewers don’t see this?? She was the ONLY girl that didn’t talk behind others back and was nice to everyone! She was even sweet enough to console Kelsey when the rest of the group of girls bullied against her and Brit was always there for anyone feeling down and out, never speaking a bad or negative word!
        Then Becca makes final two yet doesn’t know what she wants???? And this whole hatred for Brit arose from one single comment regarding if she could really see herself living in Iowa! Who wouldnt have that thought? Even if for an instant? Yet no trash talk on Becca but just Brit! That’s due to jealousy of her beauty because she is absolutely beautiful and other women don’t like it for some reason??
        ❤️🌹🌹🌹❤️TEAM BRIT!🌹🌹

• sarah bear says:

see this is the thing you britt fans are always saying that were jealous because we dont like her 😷 we do like her for multiple reasons. you guys think that britt never did anything.. she pretty much threw kaitlyn under the bus because she didnt get a rose she packed up her stuff because she didnt get her way she was ready to leave but than she was hoping that chris would beg for her to stay and give her the rose. but he sidnt because he finallly saw the person she was it was carlys fault for nothing other girls brought it up to and hefely suspicios about her so stop blamming britt alot of people hate britt because of her immaturity and the way she acts “childish”

• Amy Knight says:

Smh.. Wtf R u talking about? U r crazy! Lol
            🌹🌹🌹Team Brit!🌹🌹🌹

• Sarah if you’re gonna blame any body blame Chris. I looked at the entire season again just to see what people was saying about Britt true figureing that maybe I missed something that you all seen.and tobe hhonest. I seen Britt being nice to all the girls in the house. I agree about the one outburst whenkKaitlyn got the rose.but other than that she was not half as bad as a lot of the girls in the house. point being she don’t deserve to get slammed the way that people is slamming her.like I said I looked at theeentire season again just to be sure if I missed something.about Britt being phony and fake. and I did not see that. but I did see Kaitlyn. using foul language and getting naked on TV. And this is who you guy’s want as the bachelorette. SMH. That’s why a lot of Britt fan’s see jealousy

8. CK says:

I can’t eye roll anymore tonight. I just can’t. I get that the bachelor series is pretty superficial, but honestly, in what way are the guys going to choose the next bachelorette. I really don’t see them making a decision that involves personality at all so expect the contestant who wears a bikini to win. I really hope ABC pulls a Mona Scott and write the confessionals for the first episode to make it seem like body and bust size preference weren’t the sole factors.

9. Court says:

I actually like this – it will be entertaining. I was also getting the impression that the entire season would be the two of them…so who knows.

• Court says:

Though, if the guys have to choose on the first night…I don’t like that. Because one of them will get hurt and be humiliated. I don’t like that.

• Amy Knight says:

I think it will too. I think the producers have something up their sleeve and are going to have both girls through the whole entire season! It’s a great concept and surely will get more viewers to tune in!

10. Bobkat says:

Team Kaitlyn all the freakin way! Britt is just phony on all different levels 👊

11. Lizo says:

What the actual f**k.

12. kata says:

The ABC producers always wanted Britt to be the next Bachelorette but people got so annoyed by her antics and did not want to see her. Chris H is wrong, the bachelor nation is NOT divided. We do not want to see Britt as Bachelorette. We voted for Kaitlyn but they are trying to shove Britt down our throats. The choice is ours, watch or not.

• Cyn says:

Just because YOU don’t like her, doesn’t mean other people don’t. I really like Britt. I love that she’s such a great Christian and all the work she does to help other. Kaitlyn, on the other hand, is the trashiest girl I’ve seen on the show. How is she any better when she got naked on national tv and told the guy to “plow the f out of her within the first 3 seconds of meeting him. She’s not fun, she’s trash.

• BrittBrat says:

The claps for Kaitlyn were louder than the claps for Britt. I know that isn’t the entire population, but that says a little something about what some people think about Britt vs. Kaitlyn. I can live without seeing Britt again.

• NatalieB says:

Totally agree with you Cyn! Team Britt all the way!!! I hated kaitlyn

• Amy Knight says:

I agree 100000%! Brit is a Christian, is beyond beautiful both inside and out, and a genuine nice girl! Kaitlyn is trailer trash, Unlady like, a Wanna be rapper, and just a Trash Act!
        Brit=🌹❤️😇❤️☀️
        Kaitlyn =👎💩💤💩👿💂🚮

🌹❤️🌹🌹❤️🌹🌹🌹❤️Team Brit!❤️🌹❤️🌹🌹❤️🌹🌹🌹❤️

• Amy Knight says:

Thank you! Yes completely a Trash Act, Kaitlyn is, and need I say anymore! I’m glad that someone else saw this trailer trash rapper styled slut for the nasty trash she is! And also, she does not fit the mold for this show whatsoever and the ONLY reason there are two girls ,(being Kaitlyn added to the mix) is to obtain high ratings as it’s the 30th episode! And Kaitlyn was only thrown in the mix because of uneducated, just plain trashy viewers and their comments for Kaitlyn as it was always going to be Brit for next Bachelorette!
        🌹🌹❤️❤️Team Brit!❤️❤️🌹🌹

• Lol says:

Same person commenting under multiple names saying the same thing. Classy.

Kaitlyn is NOT trash. And Britt is a bit of a brat but she’s not a bad person. Britt fans need to CALM DOWN. Kaitlyn fans don’t insult Britt nearly as bad, they just don’t particularly want to watch her. I’d watch either.

So much of reality TV is distorted. You can’t wholly judge a person by what you see on The Bachelor. So everyone just grow up and take a chill pill!

• Tara says:

That is exactly my immediate thought when I first heard this. It’s ridiculous. .smdh.

• Kevin says:

Nah. If ABC was really that hellbent on Britt being the next bachelorette, they would have given her a much better edit.

• Dude says:

I love that Chris H tried to make it seem like a close call. “Who’s Team Britt?” *polite claps* “Who’s Team Kaitlyn” *thunderous applause* “It’s a close one.” No, it really isn’t.

13. wrstlgirl says:

Terrible idea. Britt I’m sick of you flipping your hair already. She’s so fake. Team Kaitlen all the way. But I seriously doubt I’ll be able to watch.

14. Karen says:

BIG MISTAKE!! Won’t watch

15. amanda says:

I dont think it is fair if both girls dont get a chance to go through the whole process its bad enough to be sent home on the bachelor. Ps #I liked Carley

• Thank you! I can’t understand how Carly wasn’t the obvious choice. Maybe she’ll end up on Bachelor Pad/Paradise and we’ll get to see her for many seasons to come, a’la Michelle Money.

• Delia says:

Carley is mean and jealous!! I think that it should have been Bekka, she wasn’t in love with Chris after all,so what would’ve been the problem?

• Amy Knight says:

Carly is gross ugly and mean! She’s a sleeze and will always be miserable as all she does is backstab everyone and belittle people! Cannot stand her! Ugh!

• Lol says:

Grow up Amy! Good lord, you saw a few weeks of that poor girl’s life. These girls aren’t allowed to leave ITM interviews until they say SOMETHING. Quit attacking people you don’t even know. Go study for your pre-algebra test or something, cause you act like a child.

16. Lisa says:

People need to stop crying and enjoy good old reality TV. Unless you know them personally, you have no idea if they are like what the edits make them. Congrats to both girls but Team Britt all the way!!!!!

17. Elizabeth St.Clair says:

WOW, with a 90 percent demographic of women and you came up with that? EEK. I hurt for both of these women. I mean to be chosen as the Bachelorette is like being given the tiara. you are the women every man in the room wants to date. now we have to suffer second hand embarrassment by watching this fiasco. YUCK. I love this show and am a faithful watcher and pull for those just trying to find someone to love. like the bachelor in Paradise this is revolting. theBIP needs a better format. because it is an unfair way to introduce people. This new Bachelorette, not even fair and its truly humiliating. fix it. there needs to be at least 40 guys and there needs to be a nice way for each girl to have a go. I mean this Bachelor just started with 30 women. again think hard how you format this one. you may just break the mild and really mess it up.

PS happy for Chris and Whitney, Whit I had you down all season.

18. Leila says:

You put yourself in Britt’s position and let’s see you not bawl your eyes out when a pack of jealous wolves year you down. First rose, first kiss, killer chemistry, prettiest girl brought down by vicious, carry women. Glad Britt got this chance to play fairly. Kaitlyn not impressed? Would you if you were up against Kelly Kapowski? Exactly. Go Britt. NM the haters.haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

• Amy Knight says:

Leia!❤️😉
      I love your comment and it couldn’t have been said any better. That is very true about those mean girls and especially to Brit! And,especially when Chris took Brit away to the concert across the street! What girl would not of gone? And then they all attacked her, or like you said, attacks Brit like a pack of mean vicious drooling wolves!👎😥 I would’ve been crying 😥my eyes out and left that night! Yes, I’m very happy Brit gets a chance without all the haters out there! Kaitlyn is bad enough and Im sure she will be just as classless on this show!
      🌹🌹❤️❤️🌹TEAM BRIT 🌹❤️❤️🌹

19. Kristen says:

Not a fan of Britt at all! Hope Kaitlyn stays on!

20. sandy smith says:

Don’t think either one is it in for love, I think the goal of both is to be exactly in this position…just not together…more exposure… not moving to Iowa…might as well keep them both, at least that might be entertaining…

• Cyn says:

Everyone complains about how Britt was in for the exposure, but we can sure as hell see that Kaitlin was too. That’s why she’s so pissed she didn’t get it alone, she thought she had it in the bag.

• Gwen says:

how was kaitlyn there for exposure and if youre telling me that YOU wouldnt be pissed in a similar situation as hers, youve got some weird issues. Britt is an aspiring actress, who lives in hollywood, not to mention kaitlyn came from a small town herself so she knows what its like. you cant even spell her name right.

• sarah says:

nah see now your just guessing why would kaiyn want to compete with aniter all over again sit your ass down an keep your mouth shut… nobody wants to compete again #teamkaitlyn all the way i hope she kicks that fake cry baby off the show sorry not sorry

• Delia says:

I don’t think that she was “pissed”, she honestly answered Chris’s question about how she felt about there being two, and she sad that it wasn’t ideal, duh? I think that she has a really good attitude, if she was “pissed” as you so eloquently put it, she probably wouldn’t have done it at all.

21. Brandon says:

I like both girls, but I prefer Britt. I don’t see how this makes the show any worse than it already is. It’s my guilty pleasure all the way.

22. Jake says:

Let’s face it. Brit is a fame whore and wears too much makeup and Kait’s teeth are jacked something serious. So let the guys decide who they’d rather breakup with 3 months after the show.

23. Tex says:

C’mon, I was actually excited that both would have a rose. Two love stories side by side. But no, it has to crush one girl right off the bat. Britt will get picked, she’s sweet and gorgeous but Caitlin has always been my pick. She’s funny, pretty, cool. I could watch her for weeks. Britt comes across too polished and in control of eliciting emotion

24. Gwen says:

So im assuming the men wont vote publicly since doing so might end with them having a target on their back by the girl who stays?
    Thew whole thing just seems stupid to me but whatever, if it was upto me it should be kaitlyn since shes not insane, fake, and an aspiring actress like her counterpart

25. Lacy says:

I hope britt wins.she’s a gorgeous young lady and very generous .what I have seen her action on Chris souls season it was amazing.On the night of ladies tell all I feel like she was telling the truth and it was worthy.#teambritt

26. Julie says:

I wouldn’t say Britt was a faker!!!hello here,get to the point she was telling the truth once she got to Chris town.at least she ain’t sh** tlkers and making ugh.faces

• Lol says:

She did sort of fake being okay with Iowa with Chris. I’d respect her much more than I already do if she’d been honest. Most people wouldn’t want to live there. I wouldn’t blame her a bit. I just wish she hadn’t lied.

27. Lilly says:

It’s weird how u guys say team kaitlyn when she was acting this and that thinking she was winning.but guess what..buh bye baby girl your going home.#teambritt

28. Jane says:

FYI the whole season wasn’t all about britt’s lies,and being a faker!!it’s her personality of what Chris has looked into her.#teambritt

29. Elizabeth says:

I totally enjoy britt.she’s an amazing person.I hope she get to be the next bachelorette.#teambritt

30. Elizabeth says:

Britt is amaze.I feel like she should be the next bachelorette she’s the perfect fit.#teambritt

31. Adams dee dee says:

Not feeling britt..who wore the same socks and shoes during the bachelor.

• Sheila says:

Sure that was just mean stuff from the others and Britt went along for laughs. Did you see her! No way she was dirty the entire show!

32. Mari says:

I’m surprised that there were actually Britt fans… Maybe it’s not fair to judge her based on the show alone, but I didn’t think she’d be so popular with all the drama she had. I’m rooting for Kaitlyn!

33. jade rak says:

I love britt i think she is gorgeous but kaitlyn, altho not as pretty as britt, is still beautifull with a one of a kind personality witch goves her the uper hand. Both girls would be great to watch, either or i am so excited for the 2015 batchalorett season. May the best woman win

34. Judith says:

Best show yet! 2 frightful people 1 beautiful love they r so happy! Warmed my heart they remind me of family who are like them n there happily married after so many years

35. Timmah says:

Bachelor Nation was divided, what were they going to do? 95% wanted Kaitlyn to be the next Bachelorette and 5% wanted Britt. It was the only fair way to break the deadlock.

36. Tara says:

I am really disappointed by this. My immediate thoughtwas they are shoving Britt down our throats. She was a fan fav and plummeted immediately after her shenanigans. The producers are her biggest fans, and as a result, they come up withthis nonsense. Now, I grew to really like Kaitlyn..however I will agree I was not a fan at first. In fact, Britt was my fav at the very beginning (even though I felt she was seducing him from the the moment she stepped out of the limo..ie: exaggerated hug, the intense fake hard unmoving gazing into his eyes) but her game was good..entertaining even…at first. It became tiresome and predictable. And eventually annoying and over the top! Then when Britt flipped out, it was borderline disturbing and scary and completely uncalled for. That being said, I went from wanting Kaitlynn sent home on night 1 (and was surprised she wasn’t ) to eventually rooting for her. I think she would make a great bachelorette. We watched her come on the show with a hard wall of sarcasm, but soften and really lighten up and became relatable and even likable. She was genuinely upset when she was sent home. Her upset was the most sincere. Britt’s was a joke. The stomping and dramatics. .the over the top theatrical hysterical crying….no, come on! Anyway, I feel the producers are shoving Britt down our throats. Kaitlynn fell hard for Chris and was sincere where Britt was not. Britt is looking for her big break, not love. They really made a mistake here. Britt is a beautiful girl, they both are…but Britt isn’t looking to get married. Come on ABC. We all watched the same season, and you guys can’t tell me you reallu felt Britt was sincere? GOod entertainment , yes..brought drama to the season, yes. She did not however, bring the sincere romance and vulnerability that America lives to see in a woman truly looking for love as the next Bachelorette. Huge disappointment. Another Juan Pablo season and/or outcome. Whatever. I will watch the first episode to see if it’s a divide amoungst the bachelors in their votes, or if one of the bachelorettes get eliminated on night 1. If so, and Britt becomes the bachelorette, it will be hard for me to root for her all season if her tactics are more for seducing and drama then for love. I hope ABC knows what they are doing! I still get this unsettling feeling that they are shoving her down our throats.

37. Annie Miller says:

To pit these two women against each other and let 25 RANDOM single men decide who deserves the honor sounds alot like a bar to me? It rings of sexism to me, big time. The “good girl” the “Bad girl” the “slut” who…who will qualify as a good enough wife? Come on? At least in the past this show pretended to be romantic. Pretended the people on there where truly wanting to get married. Now it is a glorified dating game episode.
    Oh, and are we supposed to believe that they will ever do this with two males on the bachelor? Hell no.

• Tennisnsun says:

Well they did do it with two males and it was a clunker. Besides that was still showing women had the power. With two women the power changes back to the men again as you said. At the very least it’s who got the most valentines or who got chosen last for the team. Emotions not easily dismissed for the “loser”.

• Timmah says:

You might want to google “Byron Velvick”.

38. Christina says:

Just a terrible idea. #teamKaitlyn

39. Leigh Oldham says:

So who cares? Chris is a chauvinist along with the rest of the people who run that show.

40. Paul Rodric says:

For the first time I WON’T watch the show

41. kim says:

Don’t agree with this strategy. Its hard enough and more nerves in one room already. They were already recently sent home from the show….how much can one persons nerves and self esteem stand. Why would they want to leave their job to have a 50/50 chance of Leaving the first night!! Absurd!! Only for a BIG PAYDAY I would hope!!

42. Janey says:

They should leave both girls on all season so they can fight over the guys and vice versa. Britt is only in this for the publicity and Kaitlyn will laugh through the entire season so give them something to fight about. And, Chris is NOT in love with Whitney aka 2nd best! He’s still pining for Becca….so obvious!

43. Al Monroe team says:

Team Britt all the way!!

44. Debbra says:

It is quite ridiculous that the public wants Kaitlin but the producers want Britt. It should be Kaitlin and how dare you do this. Why do the men get to choose. I will stop watching the show if you don’t correct this ASAP!!!! Is this Bachelor II???? The Woman gets to choose the guy, why is the guy choosing the woman again!!!!????

45. kristen says:

Britt is the worst, the producers are crazy to think she would make a good bachelorette. She couldn’t even handle not getting the rose on the group date. I feel bad for Kaitlyn to be put in that situation when she is clearly the favorite

46. JL says:

Don’t forget BRITT was the one who didn’t shower for days…GROSS.

47. Tracy says:

I think Kate is the way to go. I am not going to criticize Britt. We all have personalities and no matter what they are everyone wants love. However, the crowd cheered the loudest for Kate. My question is more how the girls will be able to express themselves in a way the guys will know to choose them. I don’t agree with the statement of who is the better wife. I think it should be based more on who the men favor the most or find themselves the most compatible with. How do you say one is more wife material than the other? Either way my vote is for Kate.

48. Jacqueline says:

Britt is in it for the publicity. she is young and fake. she counts on her looks. i hope Kaitlyn finds real lasting love.

49. John says:

I hope they don’t get rid of one of the bachelorettes. Let them both find love. It would ruin the momentum if they get rid of one. They can have the guys pick which one they want to date, but the woman need a say too. After all, they are the bachelorette…..