Ratings: Revenge Returns Up; Secretary, Good Wife Hit Lows; Last Man Drops

Revenge Cancelled Renewed

On this first Sunday of Daylight Savings Time, when families, conventional wisdom tells us, are outside tossing a Frisbee instead of plunked in front of the TV box….

ABC’s Revenge returned to 4.9 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating (per finals), up 28 percent and two tenths from its winter finale (which led out of Resurrection‘s 3.9 mil/1.0).

Opening ABC’s night, Once Upon a Time (6.7 mil/2.1) and Secrets and Lies (6 mil/1.4) each ticked down a tenth.

Elsewhere….

CBS | Madam Secretary (10.8 mil/1.1) and The Good Wife (9.1 mil/1.0) both ticked down to series lows. Battle Creek (6.9 mil/0.8) dipped 7 percent and two tenths from its debut.

FOX | Bob’s Burgers (2.6 mil/1.2), The Simpsons (3.7 mil/1.6) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.1 mil/1.5) slipped two, two and three tenths in the demo, respectively. Family Guy (4 mil/2.1) surged versus its previous outing (opposite the SNL special). Last Man on Earth (4.4 mil/1.9) dropped more than 20 percent from its solid premiere.

1. Zenobia Jackson says:

The Good Wife was horrible last night….this season has been a bad one for it after such a good start last year.

• Jimmy says:

Agreed. I wish the whole election plot would just be done already. As for the episode itself — waste of time. A classic filler episode to stretch things out. Good Wife would really benefit from a shorter season that would necessitate tighter plotting.

• jenna says:

IA..it’s been in a boring holding pattern. So many of the campaign tactics could have been combined and covered in less episodes if they felt the need to showcase them all. Especially since the tiny amount of legal casework has focused on old characters..Sweeney, Bishop, Canning, Elsbeth, etc. that required little setup. It’s as if the firm has no new clients or interesting legal scenarios to tackle. How is it even staying above water?

• Citygirl says:

With the ridiculous storylines and down right idiocy, if The Good Wife was on another network, it would have been cancelled by now. The show has been over rated for the last couple of seasons. It’s just a former shadow of what it once was. Alicia has to be the most boring character on TV. She has so much baggage, I’m surprised she became as successful as portrayed.

• Patrick says:

This is the problem. The show works best as a true ensemble, but that is not what Margulies signed up for. She wants a show where she is in basically every single scene. Its killing the show. I think maybe it gets a shortened run to wrap it up next year, but an outright cancelation will not surprise me. It is going to depend on CBS’s production slate.

• H says:

The real critics don’t seem to agree with you.

• D. says:

I agree this season has not been the best, but I loved last night’s episode, in no way was it horrible, in my opinion.

• cyrano says:

I totally agree with you. Its so perfect the way the episode was directed and handled. This whole show has progressed quite smoothly. The Good Wife is about Alicia. So if Alicia is in every scene that’s ok.
        I don’t get how ppl can b!tch that sometimes there’s too much off someone and then there is too little the next week.
        Her going out for the SA job is amazing and shows that Alicia is not just a 1 trick pony good at trial law. She can be the SA work on the other side of the fence. For 5 plus seasons she’s worked as defense council now going for prosecution is so perfect, the material is great. Shows can’t be about the same thing. The Mentalist was about red john and its cancelled now!!! It couldn’t evolve past its conceit. Good Wife has. This show throws curve balls and zig zags because its a smart show about a smart but flawed human being.

• Grey says:

OMG, “The Good Wife” was unwatchable last night. :-0 I had to turn away at about 15 minutes in but nothing any better (imo) was on elsewhere so I ended up re-watching “The Blacklist” ON DEMAND. I really didn’t think I’d be missing “Downton Abbey” this much this soon. “TGW” needs to drop the political storyline, or whatever it’s supposed to be, and get back on track asap. This is almost as bad as the Kalinda’s husband story.

• LoveJoy says:

TGW is terrible…

2. ChicagoDan says:

I bet CBS cancels MS – that renewal came far too early and on shaky data. (Well below what TAR used to do.) Does CBS really think MS can make it four seasons with these ratings?

• Tran says:

Madam Secretary already got renewed.

• Citygirl says:

Tran is right. Madame Secretary has been renewed. The ratings are solid every week, even with football interruptions. It’s The Good Wife that should be cancelled. It’s become boring and stale.

• ChicagoDan says:

I know it was renewed “That renewal came far too early…” The ratings are terrible on any metric. Way below what TAR used to pull in same slot. CBS can undo the renewal of this clunker.

• Mike says:

I might be renewed, but I think CBS is going to reduce episode order to something around 13, then use it as cannon fodder to fill the schedule or put it in a dead slot.

The show is just not that good and seems to lack heart or understanding. If you make a show about American government make sure you put America first, not the person in the office. The West Wing was liberal, but the heart of the show was centered around people who loved their country, and it worked for everyone. MS is about how hard it is for a woman to be the Secretary of State and balance life and uncover the evil in government. That is not what a Secretary of State should do.

3. Tran says:

The bearer of bad news belongs to Battle Creek. Looks like it won’t last that long and the 10 p.m. Sunday night time slot remains a “black hole” for CBS. Having a new drama series for CBS in that time slot is a worst case scenario but who knows during the upfronts come May if the network decides on which drama series should fill the void and a returning drama series is the best way possible. WARNING: Try not to whine, complain or throw a temper tantrum.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Revenge was pretty good last night but I hated what Emily did to Jack. I don’t really get it. MS was just okay and I love Secrets and Lies. Holds my attention for the entire hour which rarely happens. I bailed on Once.

• Betty says:

I think that Emily is trying to protect Jack, remember she told Margaux that she didn’t have any weaknesses when we all know that Jack is her Achilles Heel.

5. Boiler says:

Yea I know it doesn’t matter, supposedly, but how can you cancel a show, Mme. Secretary with nearly 11 million viewers. Just another example of the system flaws and it is a good show

6. Eric7740 says:

Once was really good last night, IMO. Great set up for the remainder of the season!!!

7. Iakovos says:

CBS has a mixed bag on Sunday. I, for one, am put off my sports overruns and it turned me off to programming. Got tired of waiting around! Quality shows, yes, but when you can stream or wait for a DVD set, why wait?!

• Tran says:

The real problem for CBS’ Sunday night line-up: football overruns and getting beat by cable networks from the likes of AMC, TNT, HBO, Showtime and several others. The network should make a decision if Good Wife is going to have a proper “final season” next year and they’re also making a decision on which drama series should fill the void in the 10 p.m. Sunday night time slot next season. I have a hunch is not CSI with Ted Danson.

8. kmw says:

CBS does have more viewers but the advertisers love that demo number and CBS stunk last night in that way. I can see Good Wife falling below a 1.0 soon. Battle Creek is done. LMOE actually did alright despite it falling. They still have better numbers than the other FOX comedies Revenge did fine but those number aren’t good enough to save it. Secrets and Lies did fine as well but it should be doing better. Those are horrible numbers for 10 o clock hour, which daylight savings time shouldn’t have affected

9. Drewer says:

How did FOX air 5 shows last night?

10. Jenna says:

I wish Battle Creek had gotten the Wednesday slot instead of Cyber; it’s MUCH better.

11. Kelly Deeny says:

I’m glad to see that REVENGE’s numbers went up. Out of all the shows listed above, REVENGE and OUAT are the only two I watch.

12. Susan says:

I really like Madam Secretary but The Good Wife wasn’t very good last night.

13. Dennis says:

Yay Revenge!

14. bill says:

The Good Wife has been pretty bad since the Carey Might Go To Prison episodes ended. Alicia has been getting way too much camera time lately. This show works best as an ensemble. The Alicia Campaign storyline needs to end ASAP.

15. LoveJoy says:

Not surprised about TGW, it’s been terrible this season..
    Good on Revenge..solid episode last night

16. Jonathan Lighthill says:

As a brit you guys don’t know when you have a decent show. Good Wife is pure class. Stop the criticism. Embrace the quality.

17. Letti says:

Thank God for Revenge. I hope we’ll get a final season next year. Shortened is fine too, just make it.

18. Jim says:

I USED to love this Show so much and wait all week for it to come on. But now it is HORRIBLE. Did they fire the Writers ! It was total torture to get through the Show and I actually felt a bit of relief when a Commercial came on !

19. gloria 098 says:

once upon a time: GO CAPTAIN SWAN! vote hook and emma

20. Aisha says:

I love that Alicia is now the SA, it’s now a whole new game! Of course the campaign story line was just too long as if the show is mainly about politics but I am sure more new exciting story will come out of this SA thing. And please we need more Peter Frollick! And I hope The Good Wife runs to 10 seasons with Alicia in the highest office, The president. And wait I love Alicia more than any other character on the show and all other shows inclusive