Good Wife Recap: Where There's a Will

the good wife recap

It doesn’t require a “spoiler alert” warning to say that almost nothing happens on this week’s installment of The Good Wife.

And yet, if the seeds randomly scattered over the course of the hour take root, it could be the start of everything that’s to come in the complicated, mixed-up, ethically murky life of Alicia Florrick — political candidate, power spouse, occasional trial attorney and most certainly a woman in denial about her mourning over the tragic death of her lover Will Gardner.

It’ll only take me a paragraph to recap the action in “Mind’s Eye” — an episode that takes place mostly inside Alicia’s very vivid, hypothetical-obsessed brain.

As our candidate for State’s Attorney battles laryngitis and braces for a crucial editorial-board interview (the result of which may break her current deadlock with Frank Prady), she mulls her answers to a series of very tough questions, reconsiders the state of her relationships with her children and her past/current/future lovers and also deals with Louis Canning’s wrongful eviction lawsuit against Florrick-Agos-Lockhart. Canning winds up unconscious in the hospital — not expected to live through the night – while a shocked Alicia pays a bedside visit, then begins eyeing her political handler Johnny with what appears to be slightly more than professional interest. (Or maybe she’s just really stoked to go into that board room and knock off the editorial board’s socks?) And that’s about it… sort of.

The real action happens Inside the Mind of Alicia Florrick, and sans red wine, it’s an almost impossibly fast-paced, free-association kind of place — funneled through whatever music happens to be playing in her headphones. (Anyone else find that construct absolutely real and delightful? And was anyone else utterly elated when La Florrick never succumbed to that night-time cough syrup — a twist that would’ve been too cheap?) With that in mind, I’m not going to even attempt to do a traditional recap in this post — but rather post the four most intriguing ideas/questions/developments raised in the course of the hour:

“WILL?” | As Alicia surfs the Internet, she encounters a pop-up ad for a credit-card company — and it’s Will Gardner’s voiceover asking, “What do you want in a credit card? Everything.” Our protagonist fantasizes several encounters with her deceased lover — some steamy, some quietly mournful — but all roads lead back to the fact that he’s gone — and she’s still reeling. We also see Alicia imagining: Johnny nibbling on her neck; a shirtless Finn atop her (with Johnny’s voice coming out of his mouth — “questions are for dopes”); and even Peter (with Kalinda snuggled in the bed behind him) asking “Why is it all right for you but not for me?” In the end, she says goodbye to dreamscape Will — and to reiterate, this happens while she’s sitting in the passenger seat, observing Johnny. (Does this mean no payoff with Finn? #NoMeGusta)

Alicia is a sexual, romantic woman who’s been repressed — or perhaps shut down — for quite some time now, and it’s clear that her hand grazing Finn’s as they sit side-by-side on a couch won’t be cutting it anymore. But since we haven’t really seen her fully engage in romantic discourse with any of the above fellas, it seems to me that our girl busting a big move with any of ’em might feel premature. Still, I like the idea of Alicia abandoning her sham of a marriage — how much political capital can it really be providing? and how come the press hasn’t noticed their physical distance? — at this point in her career. And yes, seeing as how she and Will had pressed pause on their sexytimes at the time of his passing, I don’t have a problem with her moving on from him, either.

THE KIDS | After Johnny reminds Alicia she might get asked about Zach taking his teenage girlfriend for an abortion, the sometimes scattered mom starts imagining her estranged son as a homeless man on a bench — asking why she’s still angry at him and (hilariously) why he’s her cautionary tale despite the fact that he’s a freshman at Georgetown. (Good point, kid!) She finally breaks down and dials his number, but he misses her call by seconds — another reminder of the missed connections we can still endure in this technologically plugged-in age.

TGW_614_11bMost interestingly of all, though, Alicia’s phone begins accidentally accepting Grace’s texts — and she learns her daughter is having a crisis of religious faith. Famed atheist Richard Dawkins pops up in Alicia’s mind, wondering why she would imagine Grace pregnant and sniffing glue just because “she stopped believing in fairy tales” — and Alicia can’t quite explain her sinking feeling. After all, she doesn’t believe in God — so much so that it makes her squeamish to promise Canning’s wife she’ll pray for him — and yet the thought of her daughter’s loss of faith is upsetting. Does Alicia want Grace to walk a moral path — but is nevertheless worried that if her daughter follows in her non-believer footsteps, she’ll lack the template for being a good person?

It’s fascinating that Alicia — even knowing Grace’s current crisis — can still ask her teenage daughter to do the praying on Canning’s behalf. In this ugly, murky campaign season, somehow the daughter had become the mother’s anchor — if not to a higher power, then at least to the kind of decency and honesty to which Alicia is still trying to cling. The flip of mom-daughter dynamics — the former often needs more “guidance” than the latter — remains one of my favorite aspects of Season 6. Let’s hope it’s not another three weeks before we check in on Alicia-Grace again.

BISHOP TAKES PAC | Also exciting: Alicia debating internally whether she could/should/will reveal that her former drug-dealer client Lemond Bishop is financing her PAC (a tidbit that’s beginning to pop up in the blogosphere). In a ridiculous flight of fancy — St. Alicia knows she’s not wearing a halo, but sometimes it’s nice to imagine one — she fantasizes the editorial board lauding her bravery in admitting Bishop’s financial help. But it’s Dream World Eli who snaps her out of it — and by the end of the hour she’s assuring Johnny she’ll take the lawyerly route: Telling the board that to her knowledge, Bishop isn’t funneling money her way. After all, the criminal mastermind merely told her that’s what he was doing — she can’t be 100 percent certain he was telling the truth, can she?

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING LIKED | I always like to believe Alicia is a good person at heart — and her decision to visit Canning on his deathbed plays this out — especially since she’s clearly not there to settle their lawsuit battle. Still, one of the questions posed by the editorial board in Alicia’s mind — “Are you acknowledging you’re not funny or likable?” — continues to drive her actions and the entire plot of the show.

Is Alicia’s inherent “goodness” a requirement for enjoying The Good Wife? Can she be a little bad and still be our hero? How about a lot bad? How about completely unethical — but only to serve the greater good? Imaginary Prady’s insistence — “Truth is just truth… sometimes, words have to mean what they say” sounds great on paper. But does Johnny have a point that truth “isn’t ‘this happened’ or ‘that happened’… the greater truth is in doing good”? Uff, my head is starting to hurt — although maybe it’s from the non-linear brain-bender I just experienced.

“Mind’s Eye” won’t rank as my favorite Good Wife episode ever — it wouldn’t make the Top 20, even — but I respect its ambition, its rawness and its unflinching avoidance of easy answers. Which is more than I can say for a lot of the shows backlogging my DVR.

As I grapple with those deep thoughts, I turn it over to you? What did you think of this week’s Good Wife? Did you love it or loathe it or fall somewhere in the middle? Sound off in the comments!

1. K says:

Why is she not going for Finn?

2. EJ says:

There shouldn’t be any divisiveness here. This was an absolutely excruciatingly bad episode. We should look at Julianna Margulies’ laryngitis as a metaphor for a show which has completely and utterly lost its voice. It was atrocious at every turn and the biggest piece of pretentious crapola I’ve seen in years.
    Shame.

• Lauren says:

Or one might say that someone’s voice is too loud while none of the other characters are even allowed to speak or have a reasonable thought. It’s very literally become too much Alicia to the point that it is practically nauseating. To think 3 more weeks of the campaign crap…are they trying to kill the show so they won’t have to deal with a season 7 because they’re fresh out of ideas?

• abz says:

There is no too much Alicia. There really would be no show without her.

• I beg to differ. I could write an episode of this show in which Alicia had 2 lines and only 1 scene, and it’d knock your socks off. How do I know this?

BECAUSE THE CAST OF CHARACTERS IS SO STRONG.

• abz says:

I never said the cast of characters wasn’t strong or that a centric episode for another character couldn’t be written. The writers are clearly capable of writing very well given their track record over the years, but it doesn’t mean they should cast their lead aside. She is THE central character of the show and it has primarily been about her from the very beginning. It doesn’t make sense to expect an episode without her having a significant amount of scenes in it. For me, at least. Of course, you don’t have to agree with me. I just love and enjoy all the characters, but she’s what first drew me into the show and continues to keep me tuning in each and every week.

• I agree the Kings and the other writers have shown, through 5 years, that they can write.

Which is why I’m still trying to come up with an explanation for how poorly Season 6 has been written, from episode 1 on.

• abz says:

The writing being poor this season can be up for debate. There have been some pretty good episodes this season. I, for one, loved Oppo Research and a few others were good to. I don’t have as big a problem with the campaign as most people seem to. Sure, the campaign may have dragged on a little longer that it should, but I find the whining and complaining I’ve been reading from comments throughout this season to be highly exaggerated. It’s not surprising that so much of the comments I’ve read want the show to go back to being about weekly courtroom cases and wanting the show to become a formulaic CBS procedural. It’s like they want to just sit back and mindlessly watch or want Scandal-type shock value scenes every week. I’m glad that the Kings aren’t doing so and still trying to find ways to be creative and artistic. The campaign will wrap up in the next 2 episodes probably, given that Johnny did mention it’s one week till election and it’s over halfway through the season so this is around where things are probably being set up for the next direction the show will be taking.
            People acting like this week’s episode was the worst thing they’ve seen because it didn’t further plot or X reason makes no sense IMO considering this isn’t the first time the show has used this type of episodic format (they did it with Elsbeth this season and last season with Will we got to see his thought process and how he ran through scenarios in his head before question Alicia in court and probably another time that I don’t recall at the moment). And this episode, while being filler, I think was a pretty good filler and not many shows can pull off a filler as good as this one.

• Somes rt says:

You seem a fun person to hang out with ! Lol .
      I loved this episode. Specially the religion part of it.

• Definitely agree, this was bad.
      To squander an hour of The Good Wife to have nothing happen? That’s almost criminal.

Kudos for the unusual idea … but I’m 40 minutes into it and I am now realizing I didn’t learn ANYTHING about ANYONE, and … wow, that’s a shame.

• Sally McLinn says:

I thought it was fascinating and well written. Different than other shows for sure.

• Gwen says:

“There shouldn’t be any divisiveness here” but I hope you will allow for dissent. I found the episode to be well-written and engaging and not pretentious in the least, and the framework for the episode was different from most hour-long dramas. I’ve read other “discussions” about the episode and I hope it is possible to disagree with your assessment without fear of being on the receiving end of some of the name-calling/insults I’ve seen in other posts. There is always room for more than one opinion.

• H says:

This show manages to reshape and renew itself every season. Pretentiousness was always part of the show, if you can’t take it too bad for you.

• Scooter says:

Thumbs up to your comment. Spot on!!

3. Ginger Snap says:

Just finding Alicia Florrick to be a tiresome woman who has lost her way.

Or rather, that she never knew it in the first .

Maybe they give her cancer so she become enlightened.

4. Gabriel Anthony says:

Most people hate the SA storyline. But I’m loving it. It feels so natural and this is tgw that we are talking. The Kings know what they’re doping. And I feel that this episode in particularly shows us that Alicia is not that “hero” of the show at all. I think that she will become a bad girl or sth like that

5. BrightLight says:

Well this was certainly an episode one could have skipped and missed absolutely nothing. And of course they had to play that darn chicken rap song again so it will be stuck in my head for the rest of the night.

6. liame says:

This show is “LOST”. I took a chance and watched it live because I was all caught up. Fool!

• nursegirl says:

absolutely worst episode; i keep waiting for the show to get better as in past seasons but sadly it is getting worse each week; sadly, i am done with the good wife, and i have been watching it from the beginning

• Grey says:

I certainly won’t be staying up again to watch it next week. I’m not a Nielsen member so it doesn’t matter either way but, I’ll just wait for the buzz of whether it’s any good and then watch delayed (or not) from here on out. I have to get up too early for work on Mondays to stay up for subpar (my opinon) episodes like this the night before.

7. Doo Bee Doo says:

There was a lot of deep stuff to grapple with in this episode, which is why I think it was one of my favorites this season (even if not a lot physically happened). Think you should’ve at least mentioned that there was a scene of real action – as opposed to Alicia’s imagination – between Alicia and Grace near the end of the episode where she asks Grace if she’s losing her faith.

I’d say more but I’m still pondering several scenes. So many emotions. For me it was Grace and Louis Canning that got to me the most, but I’m sure others have their storylines that they connected with more.

8. DavidSask says:

What the f**k was this episode? It was so bad, the writers, all staff trickling down in making it need to be punished! The show for some may already be a challenge, not staying in real time is a disservice for loyal followers!!!

9. nek38583 says:

I am a huge Goodwife fan and I never miss an episode, but even I have to admit worst episode ever. I think it was waste of time and talent. I hated every moment of it. I hope that they never do this again. Risk are sometimes worth it, but this was a huge let down.

• Kat says:

^^^ this! I totally agree…I hated this episode! And I miss having courtroom scenes involving other cast members. This political theme is just dragging on and on

10. Karen4527 says:

I feel as though there’s a writers strike on all the shows I watch.
    Good Wife I didn’t like at all tonight

11. dsrbroadway says:

I loved seeing how Alicia’s mind worked. And to say nothing happened? A lot happened actually, and I loved seeing it through her eyes exclusively. Dare I say, it made the SA storyline a lot more interesting. Now if only they could actually give us some actual courtroom stuff again.

• Diane says:

I really liked seeing inside Alicia’s mind, too. It was a nice contrast to the episode that centred in Elsbeth’s mind awhile ago. I liked seeing the differences between how those two think through things.

• Einsckett says:

I agree with you. I really liked this episode. It was not best episode, but it was bold and challenging.
      People’ve talked about what she was thinking and what her motivation was on the SA throughout this season. IMO this episode was the answer to those questions. Also, she needed to say goodbye to Will because he really mattered to her. (even if I was not prepared to that.)
      Writers did a brilliant job.

The only problem was a Will’s body double. Even in the dark, he didn’t look like Will. LOL

• cp1945 says:

He actually looked in profile like Johnny.

I loved this episode. It was fascinating to witness her problem solving process, using her legal training to argue both sides of an issue. Her underlying good person status was demonstrated by her response to Caning’s hospitalization: while Diane and Cary took a holding position on a settlement, Alicia went to the hospital, even with her crucial meeting pending. Even with tough ethical issues, she is still The Good Wife.

12. abz says:

I’m actually a little shocked by some of the comments. I actually thought it was such a fantastic episode and one of best ones this season. Loved seeing inside Alicia’s mind. There was so many complex things in this episode and it really dealt with a lot. The way they used the music in the show and how a change in the music showed her thoughts jumping constantly was beautifully done.
    And aside from the whole “Alicia and Kalinda being kept apart was intentional” nonsense, I loved seeing the way she thinks about things, even about Kalinda and how she knows its hypocritical sometimes the way she thinks about certain things.
    I even enjoyed the way that religion was handled with Grace and how despite Alicia’s beliefs she fully supports Grace. I’m actually not super religious at all, but sometimes I feel like Grace did in this episode going back and forth.
    I wish that she and Zach actually got to have that phone call, but it was nice to see what she was thinking about him and wanting to mend things.
    The Will stuff was definitely heartbreaking. But of course she’d still think about him. I like Finn, but I’ve really enjoyed Johnny Elfman as well too this season. I think he and Alicia just seem to click really well together. Another highlight was when she brought up the whole “good girl” thing, which was a pretty great moment.

13. Lam says:

Pitiful excuse for primetime. Writers and producers must be Bmovie rejects.

14. Tahina says:

We couldn’t have an Alicia/Kalinda scene together not even in Alicia’s mind.. another miss! what I liked” Alicia’s playlist! Loved the music specially the tango beat one and the chicken beat! .

15. Diz says:

This is one of my favorite shows but this week’s episode has to be one of the worst. It was just terribly stupid.

16. Sandi says:

I enjoyed it. That’ s what I like about TGW, it isn’t boring. I think it was too outside the box for most viewers though. The King’s are always looking for ways to challenge and to not be formulaic, I for one appreciate that.

17. knd says:

Not only was this episode epically bad but can we talk about that crappy fake “Will” profile ever? Plain awful.

18. Whatever. I think a lot of people are just angry about the stuff that happened at Paley Fest and are just taking it out on this episode. The “too much Alicia” comments are as transparent as a ziploc bag.

This was a great episode. This is why the show gets low ratings…only intelligent people can enjoy it!

• I have no idea what “happened” at Paley — what possibly could have happened? All they do is talk there.

I and several other frequent posters have been saying “too much Alicia” for QUITE some time now. Cary and Diane and Kalinda have been sidelined for quite some time, with only “let’s throw Cary in prison” as the exception to that … it’s such a waste of fine talented actors. The only reasonable explanation is hubris on the part of the star/producer pulling the strings. I CANNOT imagine the Kings have forgotten they created all these other interesting characters; they’re not utilizing them for some reason.

• Proved my point. Thank you.

Also, this is not an ensemble drama. For a show that clearly has a main character, they do fine with representing the other SUPPORTING characters. And the “Cary in prison” arc was a great showcase for Matt C. And it took up like half the season. You’re treating it like it was an afterthought.

If you have an issue with a Julianna Margulies headlining a show that she stars in then maybe you should stop watching.

• abjr says:

How does it prove your point that it was all about PaleyFest, if the person responding to you doesn’t know about what happened at PalelFest? Even Alicia wouldn’t support your argument here!

• Ginger Snap says:

I’m also someone who doesn’t know anything what happened at PaleyFest. I binged watched the last 5 and a half seasons about a month ago and Alicia’s arc has become loathsome and tiresome.
        Her speech during episode 6.11 explaining why she would be a good SA was sanctimonious and smelled of someone out touch reality.
        Since season 1, Alicia has always been an unlikable woman because of her choices which have always been expedient. She has never made a really difficult choice, instead opting for money and luxury every step of the way. Now, she’s added a thirst for power to her list of sins.
        With Kalinda leaving, It’s hard to see what more they can with Alicia in a 7th season.
        Time to retire this old mare. And put Alicia on a path to redemption before the series .

• H says:

No need to redemption. The character is flawed and by some aspects unlikable, as it was explicitly told in this episode. She’s not an heroine nor a villain. I’m enjoying the ride.
          great episode.

19. drhenning says:

Geesh… That was a wonderul episode so different than typical… I guess some TV watchers can’t stand off-beat episodes… What I liked most about it is it included a ton of recurring stars in one episode.. Loved JM getting her sexy on even if it wasn’t real..

• rowan77 says:

I think it may me more that they didn’t “get” the episode. It was too inventive and clever. I thought it was great how most of the show was showing how her mind works, and that showed us how, among other things, she decides to let Will’s memory go and move forward.

• HWah says:

Ah, yes, the inevitable “if someone didn’t like it, they just didn’t get it” comment. Sigh. Apparently it is impossible that reasonable people can disagree about the merits of an episode.

• Ginger Snap says:

That’s assuming we care about Alicia’s point of view. Which we don’t. She’s tiresome making the entire episode tiresome.

20. kn1231 says:

While watching the episode I felt like I was wasting my time, but the more I think back about it the more I realize that I actually enjoyed it. People have really criticized the last 2 episodes, but I think the show is a bit more tame now because something big is about to happen! Can’t wait to see all the stories continue!

21. Dani says:

It was a bit too gimmicky and was pretty much a filler episode. Nothing really new happened regarding the campaign or any of the main cases from the law firm. Something did happen to Canning but he is still just a minor character. They really have to push the story now, The election has been dragging so long. I will give the show up if they don’t even bother to name a winner by season’s end.

22. Lisa says:

It was too manic for me. My head is already manic enough without having to see that on the Good Wife! Hahaha. I will say her “goodbye” to Will did make me sad and I’m glad they didn’t just forget he ever existed like some shows do when someone dies. She needed the closer.

23. Stephanierestivo says:

The worst episode to date. Hardly kept my interest. More action, less imaginary scenarios.

24. I really should have skipped this episode like I planned.

25. lkh says:

WTF!! What was that! What was that? An hour of Alicia’s random musings? Bored crazy–kept looking for anything. What has happened to this show? You can pretend deep meaning here, or forward thinking, or whatever–it was just lazy writing. I can’t even express how fed up I am with this election. Pleeeeeze end it.

26. PFitzDC says:

It was a nice change of pace–but let’s remember that TGW did a very similar episode last year, with Will practicing for his cross-examination of Alicia in court–one of my favorite episodes of last year, as a matter of fact.

27. Carly says:

Although it wasn’t the best episode of the season, I liked this episode. It gave us a look into the hectic mind of Alicia Florrick. It let us see her inner struggles, which isn’t something always shown on The Good Wife.

I appreciated the creativity of this episode. As someone who misses Will Gardner, it was nice to see that Alicia still thinks of him and that he hasn’t been completely forgotten to her. It’s also nice because it gave closure to that story.

I love Johnny and I’m glad to see the show is giving Alicia and Johnny’s relationship a shot. Finn is a good guy and I love Matthew, but the relationship between Alicia and Johnny is interesting and appealing. It makes realistic sense. So all-in-all I liked the peak into Alicia’s mind and the mention of her fight with Zach that I hope is resolved in person in the coming episodes.

28. Stevie says:

my favorite show finally has “hit the fan”..
    what the hell happened?
    i can’t stand alicia anymore.

29. JB says:

This episode was utterly BRILLIANT!!!! It should be their Writing submission for the Emmys. Simply an astounding and incredibly smart piece of television. Love it.

30. Really??? says:

This show is really going downtown! I like it less and less week after week and what the author calls the show’s “unflinching avoidance of easy answers”, I call it the usual cowardness of Broadcast TV to make their leads face the music and their willingness to twist morality and bend it to their will and trying to justify it by putting us to sleep with such lame explanations as “truth “isn’t ‘this happened’ or ‘that happened’… the greater truth is in doing good”. I find this justification even more lame for lawyers who day after day base truth on “this happened” “that happened” in front of a jury and judges. Alicia Florrick is really not that saint this series is trying to make her to be.
    And the worst part is when she’s going to visit the dying man she hates which in the writers’ mind makes up for her dishonnest campaign but mostly, makes her a SAINT!!!!
    Aaaah, conservative America, you are just so hypocrit!

• H says:

She’s not a saint, and the “truth” theme was very interesting. In adult life, sometimes you have to lie to get ahead.

31. Ella J. Wade says:

This was a wasted hour of my life that I will never get back. What a terrible episode. Are you really out of ideas? So many strong characters and we have to watch Alicia with laryngitis. This show is not the same without Will Gardner. Sick of the campaign, boring.

32. Hege says:

I have been kinda tired of the show since Cary went to prison and Alicia running for States Attorney. For me, this was the best episode in a long time. It was different and it was fun to see how Alicias mind works.

33. LT says:

I stopped halfway through…this show is losing me this season.

34. dman6015 says:

Two years and counting – no scenes with Alicia and Kalinda in the same room. Margulies must truly dislike her.

35. B says:

bringing up the kalinda/peter storyline was a massive eye roll… the writers tried to do all sorts of meta in this episode but it felt disjointed and the faux will felt like a bad comedy

36. DW says:

Loved it. Very intelligent script and excellent acting as usual. Something different and very entertaining.

37. Jo March says:

Does anyone else have problems with this websit? There’s an empty side bar headlined “2015 renewal scorecard” that hides part of the page whether I’m on Google Chrome or Explorer?

38. Lisa says:

“and it’s Will Gardner’s voiceover asking, “What do you want in a credit card? Everything.” ” – It’s NOT Will Gardner. It’s Josh Charles so Alicia THINKS it sounds like Will Gardner and that sets off the fantasy sequence.

39. John Moshier says:

this episode reminded me of woody allen talking to a auther he was talking about in line at a movie

40. Deion says:

People get so uptight when dramas do surreal episodes. For years we’ve seen Alicia thinking and we got a visual of what that thought process looks like. I enjoyed it. I think I missed, however when it became Johnny over Finn. I saw when she kissed him, but I don’t think I ever noticed Alicia, noticing him.

41. BrianR says:

One word. Boring.

Plus Alicia needs to hookup with Kalinda.

42. V. says:

I really liked this episode. It was bold and Julianna Margulies as usual just delivered an amazing performance.

43. EJ says:

The episode was responsible for TGW getting its lowest ratings ever last night. Gee, I wonder why. It was the nadir of a truly disastrous season, that’s why.

44. Moe says:

Not understanding where this “thing” with Johnny came from. Don’t like it.

45. Marc says:

Brilliant from beginning to end.

46. don hudson says:

you give he star of the show laryngitis and we have to put up eith her croaking for almost he whole episode – other than during the fractured flashback/datdream scenes, which did nothing to advance he greater story. Rubbish.

47. Brian Medved says:

Wow, completely disagree with a lot of the poor reviews of this episode. I thought it was a really creative way to recap where Alicia has been, where she is, how she thinks, and her internal ethical dilemmas. It was certainly an improvement over the lengthy prosecution of Cary that tried to fill the void left by Will’s departure. I think this is a pivotal point for the show and whether it will continue to thrive or ultimately be cancelled. Alicia is at a crossroads, and I think this was an appropriate time to go inside her mind. I’m really disappointed that Kalinda will be leaving the show, and frankly, it will be impossible to replace her character. It may be too much for “The Good Wife” to absorb in the end, and I fear it will end up being cancelled. I hope not because I love the show, But this hasn’t been it’s best year. As I mentioned, the whole Cary in jail and Lemond Bishop thing dragged on way too long. This episode was one of the best of this season. It was very creative and I really enjoyed the change of pace.

48. Nettie says:

I never gave comment on this site before but I have read it for a while but now I have to say something! Michael, your summarise/recap is superb! Hope I have a thought process like you do someday..hahaha

49. Stefan says:

I am surprised people dislike this episode. To me it wasn’t just television, it was Art. I think they’ve done a beautiful job letting us into Alicia’s mind – from the show’s specialty where so many things are handled simultaneously to the playlist thing to the topics they covered, I found it all so enjoyable to watch. I mostly follow series to kill time, but here I spent 45 minutes smiling just seeing what I see. I have to admit the show feels a bit different this season and it can’t obviously top season 5, but, come on, it is still much better than anything else on TV. And I really don’t understand you when you say it’s not about Alicia. I love the other characters, but it kinda is about Alicia. You don’t even have to like her – that’s the idea, they are exploring whether we should like her. And the whole politics thing is the perfect way to do it. Still, I hope next season things go back to court, especially if it’s the last one (which I’m kinda certain it will be).

50. Worst episode of the series so far.