Good Wife Boss: Alicia-Kalinda Separation 'Intentional'

Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi The Good Wife Season 6

The Alicia-Kalinda reunion that Good Wife fans have been clamoring for may be nigh.

Reminded of the fact that Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi haven’t shared a scene together in more than two seasons, series cocreator Robert King told TVLine Saturday at PaleyFest that the decision to keep the two characters apart “is very much intentional to raise expectations,” adding that viewers should, “stay tuned.”

But with Panjabi set to exit at season’s end, time is running out. For his part, King agreed that the former besties’ relationship — which was irreparably damaged when Alicia learned that Kalinda bedded hubby Peter — needs closure.

“Some of our favorite moments in the first two years were their drinking scenes together and the friendship that was there,” he shared. “[But] we always bumped up against the reality of what would really happen if one of your friends slept with your spouse.”

That’s not the only loose end that could use some tying up before Panjabi punches out this spring. Kalinda’s star-crossed romance with co-worker Cary also remains unresolved. The latter’s portrayer, Matt Czuchry, confessed that even he doesn’t know how their love story will conclude.

“I just read Episode 20, and then we [still] have 21 and 22, so I don’t know yet,” he said. “Most importantly, I’m just hopeful that it’s a great sendoff for Archie.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. justtobesane says:

According to Archie Panjabi, she wasn’t even invited to the PaleyFest for TGW last night. It’s obvious they don’t care about Archie/Kalinda anymore and saying that the Kalinda/Alicia separation is “intentional” is just them making excuses.

• B says:

Went to look for a source because its so unbelievable that archie wouldn’t have been invited, but lo and behold she mentioned on twitter that she was ‘unaware’ of the event. Shameful.

• Nancy says:

Considering that Alicia and Kalinda WORK together it is ABSURD that they would NEVER have any scenes together. And considering that the Kings all but admitted 2 years ago that they wanted to reunite them as friends but that Juliana said NO? It’s OBVIOUS there is more going on here then what they claim

• Grey says:

Double YUP. Sounds like he’s just trying to spin things. In any event the truth will come out eventually. It almost always does. It might be soon or it might years from now – long after the show is done with first-run episodes – but it will eventually come out. Memoirs, exclusive interviews, etc. Someone is always willing to spill the beans or “set the record straight.”

• Triple that yup. Mr. King is just digging himself a grave …

What will he say when Alicia and Kalinda share no scene, or no more than 5 lines, before Kalinda bites the dust?

• KatnissCatnipEnchantress says:

Big mistake making Alicia run for office in my opinion and that I haven’t like Alicia since Will Gardner die

• jinx2014 says:

I read that Alicia is now producer and she said she did not want Kalinda around anymore. I will be sorry to see her go, she was one of my favorites. Last night’s program was just BORING, but then it is just my opinion. When Kalinda leaves, I think I will do the same.

2. EJ says:

Oh, please. It’s obvious that there was a personal issue between the two ladies which escalated into this ongoing situation. It’s such a shame. This past season has been a disaster for TGW and Punjabi’s exit could very well be its death knell.

• Imzadi says:

Everyone, fans and critics alike, are praising the last two season of TGW as the best seasons so far. So I have no idea where you get your idea of disaster.

• itberice says:

I know of at least four people, including myself, that stopped watching the show because we all think it’s terrible now. So I wouldn’t say “everyone.”

• Imzadi says:

You can never please everyone. But most people still love it.

• abz says:

Yeah I think people quit shows really easily, which of course it’s their choice, but I’ve invested almost six seasons into this show and 90% of it since the very beginning has been pretty amazing and that can’t be said about a lot of shows. Even a bad episode or storyline on TGW when compared to many other shows out there is still pretty amazing.
            While this campaign storyline isn’t the show’s best and I think it should be wrapped up soon, I don’t find it that bad and there have been some pretty good episodes (I will always love “Oppo Research”). I remember how many people seemed to hate the Kalinda husband story arc and then they moved on from that storyline and we got that amazing fifth season.

• Eric says:

Wow, you know of at least 4 people that stopped watching? That totally makes a dent in the 8-11 million viewers who tune in every single week. You’re never going to please everybody and some people haven’t liked the past 2 seasons. However, the overall consensus is that The Good Wife has been at it’s best in Seasons 5 and 6. It has always been a critical acclaimed show, but it has had more critical acclaim the past 2 years than ever before. You might not personally like it, but you can’t take that away from it.

• itberice says:

I wasn’t using my four person example to show that tons people stopped watching. I was merely pointing out that I know of more than one person who was a fan and gave up on the show. The show’s critical acclaim is one of the few things that has saved it from getting canceled. It may have 10 millions viewers but it’s 18-49 viewership has always been low and that demo matters most.

• Tom W. says:

I don’t count as one of the four but I totally agree that this last season has been a pile of dung compared to the show in the first two years. They have totally ruined one of TV’s best characters in Kalinda. Now they have her babysitting for a mob guy – PLEASE! Kalinda goes and so do I

• So what is your job on the show Eric? lol Do you seriously think TGW is not losing viewers? If you don’t work on TGW, you must be from Mars.

• Candice says:

Last season made me interested in the show again. I barely watched season 3 and season 4.

• delfiteblu says:

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve watched TGW since the beginning and loved it. But now, with the weird kalinda/Cary romance, Alicia running for an office that she doesn’t appear to want, the silliness of Alicia and Cary forming their own firm, only to move back in to the LG ofices (what was the point?) I don’t ever look forward to watching it like I used to. In fact since Downton Abbey has been back on (and gone) I recorded TGW every week and watched later. But I haven’t watched the last episode and feel no compunction to do so.

Do you realize that since the day Diane (supposedly/maybe) got married, we’ve never heard her SAY she was married, nor have we seen her husband again, so we don’t REALLY know whether they’re married or not? We almost never see Alicia’s kids or even Jackie. Eli nearly has a stroke every episode which drives me completely crazy. I love Kalinda’s part but I’m worn out from trying to figure out her sexuality – which they’re making us do; I wouldn’t normally. I have to admit that as much as I love Juliana Margules, I’ve been flummoxed at her recent nominations for best actress. She is SO wonderful, but this election story has turned her into someone I don’t recognize.

• Rene says:

well said…my sentiments, precisely in every example! thanx. hope someone in a position to do something about it or otherwise ‘cares’ is monitoring this board today.

• abz says:

I don’t think they’re making us question Kalinda’s sexuality. I think she’s clearly established as a bisexual woman. They’re just showing her commitment issues. The fact that she is not someone to settle down. She doesn’t like being tied down and she essentially doesn’t DO relationships. And they’re also showing the other side of people she’s been with who want to be with her exclusively but she can’t commit. I don’t think the show has done an excellent job of dealing with Kalinda’s commitment issues, especially after her husband storyline ended, but as far as her sexuality goes, I think it’s pretty clear.
            JM’s recent Best Actress nomination was based on last season not the current one. Also, I think she’s still amazing in the role regardless of the storyline.
            With regards to the office, perhaps production costs? Maybe it’s cheaper if they have to film more at a location they’ve had for years and allocate costs to other locations while still using the Florrick Agos offices but to a lesser extent. I don’t know. But in the end LG offices are probably much better for the look of the law firm. Their older law firm offices while it was nice seeing them develop it, had so many problems and was very smll and moving was probably better for clients and bringing on more staff as a result of Diane and her people joining.

• delfiteblu says:

I think that possibly my dislike of TGW currently has to do with the idea that I never liked Josh and Alicia together so when he was killed (which I hated and was as shocked by as everyone) I really got tired of her mourning him. I know that’s not the popular opinion and I’m not sayiing we need to pick teams; I just got irritated at her. Probably my fault, not hers. :)

• 1 person in our household already gave up on it.

I’m probably very close … this campaign dragging on is killing my interest.

• johnhelvete says:

Season 5 was praised by everyone. Not sure that this season is as good as season 5 though or what the response has been, my mom for example is a huge fan of the show but a few of the story lines this season have been a little disappointing for her. I would completely agree with you that the other poster is way off base with their “disaster comment”.

• delfiteblu says:

It was talked about a lot because of the shock of Josh being killed. But I don’t think it was the best season; I think it was only slightly less confusing than THIS season.

• abz says:

Last season was critically acclaimed way before Josh left when the whole Florrick Agos firm was forming. The “Hitting the Fan” in particular was one of the most excellent episodes of television I have ever seen.

• DW says:

You are correct here. Critics are heaping praise on the last two seasons and especially the episodes after Will’s departure. Kalinda leaving will just open up even more new story arcs because this show is extremely deep in writing and acting talent. This is one of TVs greatest shows.

• Rene says:

i haven’t watched on Sunday nights since Alicia’s candidacy for state’s attorney–nearly 6 months. when i watched it last Sunday, Alicia looked old and haggard–verrrry scarry! as much as i once liked the character and Juliana, i’m put off by her in the show and as an actor now. I READ she prefers only ‘one take’ of a scene, and Archie is a prefers ‘time to get it as authentic as possible” which may require more than one take. while i understand the importance of Julianna allegedly wanting to do as few takes as possible to keep her work day short, for family reasons, i feel she’s being unfair to wield her producer power in a way that affects other cast members, and ultimately, for me, the enjoyment of the show. I’ll miss Archie’s Kalinda immensely, and the relationship the two once shared, but more importantly the dimension, Archie as Kalinda delivered to the show. Kalinda’s character is why i began watching TGW at all. . so this might be my final season, too! I definitely won’t rush home, or otherwise alter my living schedule to tune in on Sunday nights! Just sayin’

• Kar says:

exactly, they’re lying. Matt Czuchry has said there’s an issue there.

• Grey says:

Agreed.

3. Tori says:

Kalinda has turned into one of my all time favorite television characters, so to see the way the Kings have done her over the past couple years I can’t blame Archie for leaving the show. They’ve done her so wrong. The Alicia/Kalinda interactions are what several of us thrived on. Two strong women in a powerful workforce can actually get along! Apparently not.

4. Abby says:

Sure the separation is intentional it’s intentional that Julianna Margulies doesn’t like anyone but her to be front and center. Thinking that’s also why Charles left and the last two seasons sucked because it’s too much all about her. Going to miss Archie Panjabi and can’t wait for her new show.

• Sally McLinn says:

Well, Juliana is ONE of the producers.

• Dude says:

It’s my understanding that Josh and Julianna are good friends so while I can’t understand why anyone would want to be friends with her, I don’t think that was a big reason in him leaving.

• Eric says:

You are one of the reasons why I don’t like The Good Wife fandom. So over dramatic and continue to spread lies because you’re butt hurt. Get over yourself. First off, Josh Charles left because he wanted to move onto other things. Not to mention, it’s commonly known that Julianna and Josh are very good friends. Second, the last 2 seasons sucked because it’s too much about her? Uh, what show have you been watching this whole time? The show has ALWAYS been all about her. The Good Wife IS Julianna Margulies/Alicia Florrick. The entire show is based around that character with a bunch of secondary characters to fill out HER story. You have no basis for any of your comments because none of them make any sort of sense.

• husband says:

When this show first began it was something I couldn’t wait to watch, not because of Alicia Florrick, but because of the entire cast, especially Kalinda! When Kalinda became more popular than Alicia the writers started scrambling to try and “FIX” it. The last two season sucked because the writers screwed up big time by creating this ridiculous story of Kalinda and Peter having sex. This campaign storyline is ridiculous and pathetic and a lot viewers left because of it. I don’t know the relationship between Josh and Julianna and I bet neither do you, but it really doesn’t matter why Josh left since he was a secondary character to Julianna?

• big cheddar says:

I think Josh Charles was pretty clear about wanting to pursue new projects (this was the longest he had played one character) as well as being tired of the 22 episode time commitment. I remember him saying that if he does another show, he’d want it to be on cable because of the shorter episode orders.

Am i the only person who got over the Kalinda/Alicia lack of scenes thing? I actually loved Kalinda’s interactions with Diane and Eli more. When was last time Kalinda had a scene with Eli?

• I didn’t and don’t have a problem with the Kalinda/Alicia friendship being over. That made sense to me. What doesn’t make sense is the two of them not even sharing work scenes or a scene when Will died. That’s when it became glaring.

• abz says:

“…the last two seasons sucked because it’s too much all about her.”
      This comment makes no sense at all. Whether anyone likes it or not, Alicia will forever be the center of this show and it will always be about her and shell be the main priority. It is built around her character and she is connected to pretty much almost every character on this show in some way.

5. K says:

One of the worst decisions was to throw Kalinda to the side. She’s a great character with an interesting past and psychology that could’ve been wonderfully explored. Like other users have said, it’s very obvious that Julianna has been throwing Archie/Kalinda under the bus.

6. Elle says:

What a pathetic attempt. We all know the reason for the “separation”. Stop insulting our intelligence King. Its a shame you let egos (or more like one, initials JM) dictate your writing direction.

7. H says:

They started building expectations in the middle of season 3, it must be an heck of a pay off!

8. abz says:

That’s just complete bull! The Good Wife is one of my favorite show and still is even this season. I’m all for realism and realistic charcacter portrayals and relationships, etc., but in the end this isn’t life. This is a TV SHOW! There is no reason not to have found a way to organically repair that relationship over the past four seasons especially with the fantastic ability and minds these writers have had over the seasons
    At this point, we can’t do anything about past seasons but they need to give closure to that relationship or have her return as a guest star next season to wrap things up. They can’t end things like this.

9. redjane12 says:

Please spare us the spin… So unnecessary… TGW is one of the best shows on network TV so I’d keep watching regardless but, for whatever reason (involving Margulies or not), Kalinda has been under-utilised as a character since Season 3 with a small perk up in her deals with Bishop this season to save Cary. So just let Archie go in a dignified manner and get on with the show.

10. asm says:

that is bull crap! Not just there are no shared scene between these 2 CHARACTERS, but there are also no photos or proof about these 2 actresses together. The last photos I’ve seen about these 2 ladies are in the 100 eps celebration, of which the group were in a photo together but Julianna are all smiling, while Archie’s stood in the corner, probably afraid of JM. http://www.etonline.com/tv/140042_The_Good_Wife_Cast_Marks_100_Episodes_by_Giving_Back/

11. Dude says:

Saying it’s “intentional”? No duh. Pretty sure we all understand they weren’t accidentally separated for three seasons. It’s pretty obvious what happened. Julianna got jealous when Archie became the fan favourite and she threw her weight around to have her marginalized. I’m glad that someone with Archie’s considerable talent will soon be free to star on a vehicle that appreciates her and deserves her. I don’t blame her for not getting along with Julianna, who comes across like a trash human being.

12. Dan Mason says:

Doesn’t matter to me. I quite watching when I couldn’t recognize Julianna Margulies anymore.

13. XR says:

Speaking of unresolved issues, did we ever find out exactly what happened to Kalinda’s menacing former husband, who mysteriously disappeared a season or two ago and was never really mentioned again.

14. SureFineWhatever says:

Ahahahahah! Oh, it was intentional! I see! Wow, two years and a half intended separation, just to raise expectations, it sure should be a very big pay-off – like Alicia and Kalinda making out in the elevator.

Seriously though, you do realize that The Good Wife fandom is composed of a fair number of highly educated women, right? You really think we’re going to buy that “intentional” spin. Please don’t insult our intelligence.

15. David4 says:

If my best friend slept with my husband I would never ever talk to them again either.

• Evan says:

If we weren’t aware of the real life information behind the scenes, people would be willing to except that as simply what would happen. But because the producers have done every allusion to JM having a problem with Miss Panjabi in every way except flat out stating it due to avoiding a lawsuit (though I’m sure when the show does eventually end, then that info’s gonna come out very easily) we see everything through a very different lens.

16. Denise says:

That’s really weak. Perhaps they could get away with this excuse if they hadn’t orchestrated a brief mending of the fences between them in between S3-S4. Even if Alicia would never trust Kalinda in the same way, which I understand, it doesn’t justify that they’ve never been on a scene together in 2 seasons. Not even a group scene. It’s become rather obvious with Cary’s legal troubles this season and it’s starting to hurt the narrative of the show.

17. fouxdafafa says:

The writing for Kalinda this season continues to be an injustice. I agree with others that it’s obvious the two actresses don’t get along behind the scenes. Peter Florrick continues to prove himself to be a horrible person, and yet Alicia is okay working with his infidelities but not Kalinda, who did what she had to do? And all prior to even knowing Alicia?

With this annoying Bishop storyline, I would not be surprised if they just kill Kalinda off and nobody cares afterwards (except us fans). For what it’s worth, I love Julianna Margulies – she is an amazing actor. But that doesn’t mean I’m also not critical of her producing skills if she did in fact have something to do with the horrible storylines they continue to give Kalinda.

18. foxygrandpa says:

BS. I’m actually glad Archie’s leaving and will continue to follow her future projects. I like the Alicia character…. the actress not so much.

19. Alexa says:

Is anyone actually buying this BS?
    This matter shouldn’t have tarnished the best drama on TV, and yet it has. It’s sad.

20. Hayes says:

The Kings backed themselves into a corner. If fans didn’t notice, I have no doubt they would have let Kalinda leave without Archie and Julianna sharing a scene. They should have thrown in a quick scene here and there, instead of letting it go on for 2 and a half seasons. Now the expectations are way way up there.

21. DW says:

Really going to miss Kalinda. I’m interested to see how Archie’s new series at FOX will eventually look like.

• Ro says:

Moving to FOX has helped Taraji’s career.

• delfiteblu says:

Well, yeah – but she wasn’t on a series that had beeh on TV for six years so it would just about have to help her career. I know there are people who watch Fox but I’ve never found a show on that network that I couldn’t live without and frankly, I wanted to know what all the fuss was about Empire, so I started to watch it On Demand and it wasn’t my cup of tea. Too over the top, too much sex and ugliness.

22. Susan says:

JM does not interact with anyone! I always wondered why there were very few scenes with her and Peter, even when they were on good terms. It seems there has been a line drawn in the sand and JM is calling the shots. However,you can color me Team Kalinda! Bye-bye TGW!

23. Zenobia Jackson says:

The show has hit an all time low with the whole campaign episodes after a great start to last season. And yes, it is well known that Marguiles is a jealous person…she created a lot of drama on ER, causing Sherri Stringfeld to leave and she is super jealous of Panjabi and the critical praise she has gotten. She is likely the reason Archie is leaving.

• Wendy says:

I don’t care one way or another about Julianna Margulies, so this is not meant as a defense, but I understand Sherry Stringfield chose to leave the show as she literally was always working and wanted time for a personal life. I don’t think JM was a factor there.

• delfiteblu says:

I agree with the all-time low; I hate the election storyline, but where did you get all of your info on Juliana? I’m not being facetious, it’s just that I watched ER from the beginning and TGW since the beginning and spend loads of time online and I’ve never, until this thread read ANYTHING about Juliana being jealous of anybody? Why WOULD she be? She’s highly acclaimed, wins Emmys, and is a great actress – well, not so you’d notice in the past two seasons. But I’m so curious to know where everybody gets their FACTS about all this backstage stuff.

24. Mara says:

Oh please. Intentional in that Julianna didn’t like how popular Archie’s character had become and didn’t want to share the spotlight. Instead of supporting a fellow actress she had her character marginalized. So what the story suffered. While the critics may be praising the last two seasons I don’t think they were that great and many people i know have stopped watching or just read the recaps. The friendship between the two women was one of the reasons I watched and Kalinda and Alicia did not even know each other when she slept with Peter. She didn’t deliberately or knowingly sleep with her best friend’s husband.

25. Denise says:

I also don’t believe it was intentional, but people are speculating. None of us knows what happened or why it happened. I personally know nothing, so I’m not comfortable placing blame.

26. Eurydice says:

Well, it’s good to know that keeping Alicia and Kalinda apart wasn’t from a series of weird coincidences, but getting them together at this point seems pretty cynical. Like it’s totally calculated – “Oh no! Just as Alicia finds her friendship again, it’s snatched away from her by cruel, cruel fate! Oh, woe, poor Alicia!!”

27. Aaron says:

6!!!!! 11 sounds good too

28. Viv says:

Here’s hoping all those amazing angels of Taraji P. Henson spend a little time on Archie’s new show! Kickbutt, Archie!!! Screw those jerks!

29. KatnissCatnipEnchantress says:

So they’re really going to have Kailnda die at the end of season 6 of the good wife?

30. SeaDevil says:

Nice try. I do wonder why JM hates AP so much? Archie seems like such a sweetheart. I’ll watch the Kalinda episodes and then I’m done. This whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

31. Ella says:

I still can’t believe she’s leaving :( She’s one of the best things about TGW, especially her relationship with Cary. I just hope they don’t kill her off so there is hope for a finale reunion. A part of me really loathes Julianna Margulies for making a bad situation worse.

32. It’s been a long known “rumor” that Julianna is the person behind the not sharing scenes rule

33. PFitzDC says:

Oh, puh-leeze…talk about spin. The issue is that they haven’t shared a scene together….but they’ve certainly shared “phone calls,” including the devastating Will’s-dead call. So, it’s a lot more than the characters aren’t buddies anymore…there is clearly an issue between the actresses. That b.s. wasn’t worthy of you, Ausiello…..

34. Yuri says:

Saw a few days ago Archie’s Twitter reply to a fan that she was unaware of the paleyfest event & it would have been lovely to do it & now the tweet is gone.

The problem with the defense that this is intentional is that Kalinda and Alicia the characters seem to be just fine! Sure they are no longer drinking buddies, but they’re professionally okay. It’s not like Alicia has been avoiding dealing with Kalinda these past seasons. The affair was hardly ever referred to on the show. It’s just that the ACTRESSES doesn’t interact anymore for a couple of years that is impossible to explain.

• k ra says:

Hasn’t been deleted its still there on the @ replies. Theres definitely something going on between archie and the writers she wasn’t invited to paleyfest and the official good wife twitter account and good wife writers account don’t follow her despite following numerous guest stars (e.g. carrie preston, morena baccarin, graham phillips etc.)

35. dman6015 says:

What a crock of s**t from the Kings. If she really has heartburn over her sleeping with her husband, she’d be out of jobs, regardless of good a detective. Just tell the truth – Margulies can’t stand Panjabi. The only scene they’ll have together this year will be Alicia standing over Kalinda’s cold, dead body.

36. kmw says:

Whatever the intentions of the creators of The Good Wife were in this article all they have managed to do is make a bad situation worse by dumbing down to their fans. While JM is a terrific actress she is terrible producer by allowing her issues with another actress to hurt her show. It may not be realistic for those characters to ever be friends again but they most certainly would have to be in the same room at some point. 3YEARS of no scenes between two characters the fans want to see. It seems unfortunate that Archie Panjabi will probably not get the exit she deserves Given last nights ratings Good Wife is definitely NOT going out the way it should have

37. Deion says:

The saddest part about this deception is the fact that they spent a whole episode this season have have the bail adviser name Kalinda as a bad influence so that she couldn’t be in court, so that Alicia could, lol. Spin it all you like, Kings. Someone here is being unprofessional.

38. Gwen says:

Just give me Alicia bedding Johnny in this next episode, and I’ll keep watching for the aftermath. But it’s the only potential thing still interesting about this show. Sorry. and if it was all a bait and switch, I’m gone. I know, no one here cares. I’m just saying…

39. carol says:

I cant believe in alicia and kalinda together until I see it. and Im a cary/kalinda shipper os please they have to end well!

40. Mary S says:

I clicked through the list (without benefit of being able to see the pictures!) and only liked two of the possibilities: going to law school or going to work for Ray Donovan! I actually don’t believe that any of the offerings are possibilities, or else they would not have been on the list. I believe that whatever happens will come as a surprise, as it should…some spoilers are good, this one would not be beneficial.

41. Andrea Pedrick says:

Archie is the most important actor on The Good Wife. She adds spice and intrigue. I like The Good Wife but without her they better find someone with as much intrigue as Archie. She is such a great actress I can’t even imagine what will happen to the show without her.
    Best of luck Archie Punjabi. I look forward to see you in the future. Your the best.

42. EJ says: