Supergirl Costume Revealed!

With production on the pilot commencing this week, CBS’ Supergirl is officially ready for takeoff — as evidenced by these first photos of series lead Melissa Benoist all supersuited up.

Supergirl stars Benoist as Kara Danvers née Zor-El, who since arriving on Earth years ago in the wake of planet Krypton’s destruction has been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin (Kal-El aka Superman). At age 24, Kara decides to embrace her super abilities and become the hero she was destined to be.

The costume for Supergirl was designed by Colleen Atwood, who also designed the costumes for TV’s The Flash and Arrow and whose film credits include Academy Awards for her work on Alice in Wonderland, Memoirs of a Geisha and Chicago. “In designing Supergirl,” she says in a statement, “I wanted to embrace the past, but more importantly, thrust her into the street-style action hero of today.”

But enough blah-blah-blah from us. Check out the full-length and 3/4 shots below (click twice to zoom), and do that thing you do — Comment!

Supergirl_Full_Body_Benoist

Supergirl_Headshot_Benoist

1. Mare says:

I’m…not sure about this one.

• Sally says:

I’m sure that I don’t like it. Those boots look so cheap and wayyyy to high, and she’s wearing nylons under them. Her hair isn’t really all that blonde either. They should have just given her pants, or gave her that version of the costume from the 2000s…..that originated on an animated series…..white ringer tee with logo, blue skirt and black street boots and headband.

2. greg says:

Lookks good!!

3. Yeahman says:

May I be the first to say. Wow! she’s cute!

• romantic524 says:

Agreed. I have to say there’s nothing boring at all about her costume with black nylons. That is so HOT. That does it for me!

4. Lysh says:

She looks cute.

5. She doesn’t look bad. Too bad about her being Kryptonian. That’s lame. Would it be wrong to say that it looks like a cross between the Peter David/John Byrne-era versions with the texture of Superman’s costume from the Man of Steel movie?

• And she’s more of a redhead than a blonde, Byrne intended for his Supergirl to be a redhead and was actually colored as one at one point since she was a clone of Lana Lang. This show gets so many things wrong and a few right , lol.

• Well, it’s safe to say that not since before Peter David changed Supergirl’s costume to the one from the animated series has she worn a belt like the one she’ll wear on the TV show, so clearly the designer got his inspiration from that run and not the Turner redesign or the post 52 version.

• J.B. says:

Again, what? The majority of her costumes throughout the years has had some version of a belt. All of them slightly different but still there. That style they are using is probably the most recognizable.

• This style evokes the one used during the PAD run, before her costume changed to the one from the toon. It hasn’t been used in over a decade, which is telling as to the source material the designer used, which was neither the Turner design from the Loeb reboot or the one from the new 52.

• AND if you go back to look at the Pre Crisis/Pre Byrne/Pre PAD-Frank designs of the early 80’s, the 70’s, and 60’s, you’ll see that the costume from the TV show looks nothing like those versions.

It does look like the one from the movie, which is what Byrne based his design on.

• J.B. says:

What are you talking about? Kara has always been the Kryptonian cousin of Kal-El.

• But Supergirl hasn’t always been Kara, Superman’s cousin. There have been other versions that were not Kryptonian. A Kryptonian Supergirl contradicts the core concept of the story of Superman, which is that he is the LAST of his kind, the LAST survivor of the doomed planet Krypton.

• J.B. says:

That is flat out inaccurate. They’ve addressed the “last of his kind” thing years ago. Any version of Supergirl who is not Kara wasn’t the real Supergirl.

• They are all real in their own unique way. You mean real in the sense that they were not like the version from the 60’s, which doesn’t give her any more validity nor does it invalidate the detrimental effect it had on the core concept of Superman. As a spin off, she should have conformed to the core concept and not been Kryptonian, not contradict it for the sake of a gimmick.

• J.B. says:

Please go back and re-read or actuality read the various comics over the last 30 years.

• I have. You are aware of the Peter David and John Byrne versions, right? They were not Kryptonian and they were not Kara Zor-El. Kara Zor-El is a marketing ploy from the 60’s to sell Superman comics to girls which DC got rid of in the 80’s because it contradicted and watered down the main concept of Superman. The only reason DC brought it back is because the publisher couldn’t understand a version of the character that wasn’t related to Superman and thought making them cousins would be easier to explain — four reboots of the character later prove how wrong he was.

• J.B. says:

Argo City anybody?

• That’s Pre Crisis and post Loeb. There is a WHOLE time in between that during which Supergirl was NOT Kryptonian and NOT related to Superman.

• Draven says:

Michael, Superman is and has always been the Last Son of Krypton

• He has always been the last SURVIVOR of Krypton, except when writers fail to come up with ideas for who he should punch and so they bring back another Kryptonian survivor who happens to be a bad guy, or related to him, or both. As conceived by his creators, he was intended to be the last of his kind, which is why the comics in the 80’s and 90’s followed that edict.

• J.B. says:

You’re talking about Linda Danvers and Matrix who were barely even considered “Supergirl”. You can’t just ignore the actual Supergirl continuity because you don’t like the idea of Superman not being the last person from Krypton. And Superman was never really “the last” anyway. Hello! Krypto. There have always been other characters from Krypton. Why you’re choosing to ignore that is beyond me. If you can’t handle that Superman isn’t the “last KryptonianSo I’m done speaking with you.

• Sally says:

Supergirl has ALWAYS been Kara……Supermans cousin. What other versions of Supergirl weren’t Kryptonian? Don’t include Matrix super girl. You are OBSESSED with drilling The Lone Survivor of Krypton into everyones heads. Every post about SG is filled with your comments about this contradiction. Stop being a troll!

• No, Supergirl hasn’t ALWAYS been Kara. The first Super-Girl was a woman a genie conjured as a wish for Jimmy Olsen. Not Kara. not Kryptonian. Cir-El was not Kara nor was she Kryptonian. Kara In-Ze was a Kara but not a Kryptonian. And yes, I will include Matrix because she WAS a Supergirl, just as valid as any other. Also not a Kryptonian and not a Kara. Kara Zor-El isn’t the only comic book character to have used the name Supergirl. There have been many others. Of all of them, she’s the only one who, conceptually, contradicts the main concept she’s spun out of. Superman’s creators intended for him to be the last of his race, which is why they conceived the back story of his planet exploding.

• MwDrury says:

I’m very old 57,and as a young lad who cud read from a very early age two and a half!! True.
            I used to spend every penny I got on British &American comics , (which sadly I never kept,could have been slightly rich with some of them) but to get to the point, the first version of Supergirl I recall was that just before Krypton exploded Braniac shrank the city of Landor,and its residents and placed them in a bottle as part of a galactic museum piece ,it later came to earth and Superman found a way of releasing one occupant only and that was his cousin,, now as I said I’m old and have read and watched so much ? Too much? stuff, I may be confused in some of my details but that’s about it, as I recall, I loved DC comics but also bought Marvel although I didn’t appreciate them as much until I was older, to me at age four to around ten I was all about Superman when he was Super and kick all of Marvels characters backsides with out really trying, I’ve lately seen some of the new animated story’s and tho not what I was brought up on they are very good ,and my teenage self would have really enjoyed them, my favorite’s after Superman were Green Lantern ,The Martian Manhunter, and the younger version of Superman ,Superboy and lightning lad ultra boy etc, thanks for reading my waffle .

• MwDrury:

The city Brainiac shrunk was called Kandor, and that one had nothing to do with Supergirl. Supergirl hails from Argo, a city that, through very bad and very convenient writing, managed to escape Krypton’s destruction. In recent years, prior to the new 52 relaunch in the comics, DC changed it so that Supergirl and her parents were on Kandor when Brainiac stole it from Krypton, but that’s a fairly recent development that I don’t know if it’s still considered canon following the new 52 reboot.

• Lincoln says:

The other versions are too complicated to explain… a shape-shifting clone of Lana Lang from an alternate dimension created by the Time Trapper…. or… an angel?

• And yet Power Girl, who has a very similar origin, is still part of canon. The 80’s Supergirl is not that complicated to explain at all. “A clone of Lana Lang from an alternate universe whose powers are derived from Superboy”. Simple.

• ultimate troll says:

Alas even watering down Clark with an extra Krptonian relative is nowhere near as awful as clones and (ugh) alternate universes.

For me – no matter how much fun Arrow and Flash are the CW/CBS verse is boxing itself into a corner having to avoid the big three.

Costume is fine. I think the concept and dark background are designed to be UN-cotroversial.

• L says:

In the comics maybe… but for a TV series where people need to figure it out quickly without having a long recap every episode… not at all practical.. come on man be serious.

• There’s nothing impractical about it. AND there are MANY ways to adapt it to TV. Look at Galatea in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon. This Supergirl could be a female clone of Superman created at Star Labs or LexCorp. They don’t NEED to make her come from another reality. There are a million and one ways to have a Supergirl who isn’t Kryptonian and STILL keep it simple. It merely requires creativity.

• MwDrury says:

I did actually write Kandor not Landor damn spell check, I should have checked before submitting,, classic rush mistake,

• JenJ says:

I’ve been around a few years too, and also read those comics in the 50s & 60s and totally agree with Drury. All of those other re-writes over the years were just that, re-writes, and whatever they created afterwards doesn’t change the fact that the original Supergirl was from Krypton.

6. Ugh, I just want to fill in the rest of the yellow inside that “S” shield! The thin stroke just isn’t enough.

7. Marie says:

Cool outfit, but Edna Mode would have a panic attack.

8. In the first photo she looks almost unrecognizable, than in the second one she smiles… And I’m back to Glee and back hating her. Really praying she’s a good surprise in the series like Barry’s Gustin. That said, I get the new suit (kind of like a swim suit hibrid with a skirt), but… Did they really need to cut the skirt on the front? Cause it goes form cool to pre-school uniform skirt really fast.

9. J.B. says:

I actually like it. I don’t know what I expected but I actually like it. Has the comic book feel about it but still looks practical for a superhero show.

10. LOL says:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

11. Jim says:

Do not get this casting at all.

12. ggny says:

Good we dont have to wait 10 years to see the dam costume like Smallville

13. Same vacant expression…

14. “Supergirl stars Benoist as Kara Danvers” so her name is Kara in both id’s? Why not Linda? See, so little right, so much wrong.

15. Not a fan but since I won’t be watching this abomination, it doesn’t matter.

16. dlefeb says:

Did she HAVE to wear a skirt?

17. Johnny Styles says:

I think it’s outstanding.

18. alistaircrane says:

Why such dark hues? The Man of Steel and Flash costumes had the same problem: too dark!

19. Dean says:

I agree that the insides of the ‘S’ shield should be yellow but not too shaby, not too shaby at all.

20. Gail says:

Is she going to put on glasses in her secret identity? Maybe she will put a blonde wig on as Kara Danvers. I bet as a nod to comics fans they will make her middle name Linda.

21. Tran says:

Nice costume but even better than Helen Slater in the movie version.

22. Nate says:

She looks good. Costume would probably look better lighter but good

23. Joe R says:

Drab. Where are the COLORS, Warner Bros???

24. Azerty says:

It looks good. Dark ala Dark Knight and Man of Steele but so are Arrow and Flash’s costumes. Btw any official word to know if this will be or won’t be in the same universe that Arrow and Flash?

25. justsomeguy says:

I don’t buy her in the role at all. Supergirl is supposed to be a grown woman, and she should look like one, not a teenager. I really think they miscast the starring role. I’ve got a bad feeling for this show.

• Lincoln says:

Supergirl IS a teenager, not a grown woman… otherwise she’d be Super Woman.

• JC1 says:

This version of Supergirl IS a grown woman. Did you not read the article? “At age 24, Kara decides to embrace her super abilities and become the hero she was destined to be.” 24 is not a teenager.

26. Drew says:

Not bad. It has elements similar to the Man of Steel Superman costume, but it isn’t a direct copy, which is nice. I am not entirely sure of the skirt, but I guess it is tradition.
    It is still CBS, so I am very wary of this project.
    I am also wondering about Calista Flockhart’s involvement after Harrison Ford’s crash. Will they delay filming her scenes, or recast?

27. Hodan says:

Maybe it would look good on screen cause I am not liking it right now. Anyways, I can’t wait to see the show.

28. Lincoln says:

She’s practicaly unrecognizable in these photos… As one of the few people who liked her in Glee and wanted more of her in whiplash i am hopeful that this works… still curious as to how they are gonna handle Superman.

29. Dingus says:

This looks like a costume in a bag you’d pick up at Spirit Halloween. Will pass on this show.

30. Daryl says:

She looks like a really great super hero, classy suit, even classier looking girl in the suit. I’m hoping this turns out to be an awesome deal. Good luck super girl, sure you will be great!

31. JeffDJ says:

I think the suit looks good. My only issue is I’d prefer to see bare thigh there instead of the leggings, if for no other reason than to break up all the red.

32. Daryl says:

honestly speaking it’ll be something different something nice and regardless of the hair color or pants she’ll probably do well at it. . We will wait and see won’t we. Something new and exciting to watch and see where it goes…

33. SPAMMER says:

[SPAM DELETED]

34. Steve F. says:

Not too bad – the material on the top reminds me of the Brandon Routh Superman outfit.

That said, I wish they could’ve used the Linda Danvers/Superman: The Animated Series costume.

35. nightmareblade177777 says:

Looks ok but you should see her legs more like the old costume I mean the boots are way to high

36. I hate this look., Supergirl was always bright, and wholesome, like the girl next door. The blue and red should be brighter, there needs to be a yellow background to the S to make it pop, and the boots were always below the knee…

37. Matthew B Lawler says:

That costume is hideous I’ve seen better cosplay outfits and the actress is a joke this show is doa

38. Andrew Murn says:

No. No. No. No. No. No.
    I’m tired of dark corners. DC comics used to be bright and colourful. For a decade or two TV has descended into 50 shades of dark grey – trending black. Bring back the brightness.

39. Brennen says:

I don’t neccessarily dislike it… But it just seems DC and Warner Bros. can’t get out of this mentality that you need a grittier darker tone or design to make a super hero appeal to people. We’ve seen it all throughout Man of Steel, Arrow, and even Flash (despite it being WB’s most earnest attempt at a “super hero” in a long time.) Is it too much to ask that the heroes look a little brighter and more hopeful? Especially when it comes to superman (who is supposed to be brightest and most hopeful of all) and his various characters?

• Andrew Murn says:

I’ve given up on row and Flash for this very reason. But maybe I’m in he minority.

• Drew says:

The colors in the comic book are what they are because of the printing process when those comics started. Taking those costumes and copying them directly to the screen would look like those early technicolor movies where they felt a need to make everything as strangely colorful as possible.
      The less colorful costumes work better on screen. The important part is getting the characters right. So far, they’ve done a pretty solid job.

• What?! says:

One of the big shots at WBs stated that DC movies are going to be darker n grittier tone compared to Marvel’s. The Aquaman look is dark too. I think it’s also spilling over into the TV shows… I like this look, I’ll check it out!

40. wingsstef says:

Looks nice too me.

41. Drew says:

Anyone else think she looks like Kerry Bishé from the last season of Scrubs? When I look at the picture, I expect a wacky voiceover.

• jaypea says:

I just realized they are not the same person! holy crap! I was so impressed that she was in scrubs, argo and glee. but they are different people! wow!

42. lame says:

Meh, it’s so yesterday, I was hoping for that one that resembled the matrix costume. It won’t matter if the writing’s good.

43. Pedro says:

Not even padding can hide that Benoist is to tiny and skinny for the part.

44. A. D. says:

Wish it had the crop top to show her stomach/abs…this one is to “Supermanish”

45. RD says:

Can’t get the image of her in Glee out of my mind so it all looks very safe and wholesome. What era is it set in? looks like the ’50’s to me.

46. Trev says:

Omg TVLine why are you lying? That’s clearly Holly J’s older sister, Madison Sinclaire.

47. Co says:

Hopefully she got some acting lessons. Cause her acting on glee sucked!

48. AW says:

Not bad. Reminds me of Man of Steel costume. Definitely better than the Wonder Woman costume worn by Adrienne Padilicki. I still think Laura Vandervoort’s Supergirl/Kara’s costume was the best!

• AW says:

Plus, I like Benoist’s smile, and not grumpy looking like Wonder Woman. Glad she has blond hair, which reminds me of Helen Slater. Let’s wait and see how the pilot goes!

49. James D says:

don’t really have a problem with it. not wild about the boots and stockings but i can live with it. hope this show succeeds lord knows we need more female superheroes on both the big and small screen.

50. Joey Padron says:

She looks good in suit. I thought her hair would be more blonde. Blonde hair she have works. Can’t wait to see the trailer for the show in May!