Jane the Virgin's Justin Baldoni on the Big Proposal, Losing to Team Michael

Jane the Virgin Season 1 Photos

Forget living together. On Monday’s Jane the Virgin (The CW, 9/8c), Rafael decides to one-up himself and pop the question to his pregnant girlfriend. But will the pragmatic heroine accept after only six months of dating?

While the hotel owner’s proposal is “very inventive,” his portrayer Justin Baldoni tells TVLine, there are issues that arise just from the idea of cohabiting. So it “doesn’t matter what answer it is, it’ll send a ripple through the telenovela universe.”

Not to mention, her ex Michael is far from out of the romantic picture. Off-screen, the jilted detective is also winning over hearts as the Jane cast is, much to Baldoni’s amusement, all Team Michael, the actor reveals below. (Hello? have they seen Rafael?!)

Read on for scoop on Jane and Rafael’s uncertain future, a possible bromance and the Petra-shaped thorn in Raf’s side.

TVLINE | Rafael suggested to Jane that they move in together, which definitely seems like an “Of course we should do that” thing. But are they on the same page about it?
No, I will say they’re probably probably not. But Rafael has learned to go with the flow a bit when it comes to Jane. We’re going to see what happens when two different people who have two different ideas of what happens in a relationship are presented with an option. Rafael and Jane are both very different people. They come from very different worlds and have very different opinions on things. So what may be the right next step for Rafael may not be the right next step for Jane and vice versa. We’ll see the ambiguity that comes from that situation.

TVLINE | As big as Rafael’s proposal was that they move in together, it looks like there’s an even bigger one in Monday’s episode. What was it like shooting the proposal scene?
There are a few people who have seen me propose in real life after that video went viral. So it was just kind of funny doing it with Jane on camera. What’s nice about it is that’s all stored up in your memory, that feeling of what it’s like to really propose. It was very nice, and it was fun.

Jane the Virgin Season 1 SpoilersTVLINE | We had Jane/Rafael in the “Put a Ring On It” category in our Valentine’s Day gallery, so bravo on taking our advice.
[Laughs] He’s trying! He’s definitely trying. And thank you for including us. It’s one of the most fun, romantic characters that I’ve ever gotten [to play]. The relationship between Jane and Rafael has been one of the most fun things that I’ve gotten to do. Gina [Rodriguez] is just so present and so brilliant and so funny and also available emotionally, that it really reflects life. It’s beautiful.

TVLINE | [Executive producer] Jennie Urman told me she’s always trying to find ways to keep the love triangle alive. Should fans of Jane and Rafael be worried?
You’re never safe in Jane the Virgin, that’s what I’ll say. You’re never safe on a telenovela, that’s for darn sure, and you’re never safe on Jane the Virgin. The fans of Rafael and Jane should be very appreciative of the moment they’re in now. And the fans of Michael and Jane, don’t worry, Michael’s not going away.

Jane the Virgin Season 1 SpoilersTVLINE | Is there a scenario in which you could see these two guys getting along and co-existing?
I would say anything is possible on Jane the Virgin. Brett [Dier] and I have a bromance in real life, which is fun. Brett and I and Jaime [Camil], we’re the three guys on the show. I know that Jaime is undeniably Team Michael. I feel like everyone on our show is Team Michael at the moment. I like to attribute it to him being the underdog, but also, Michael is adorable and Brett is just like a lovable, alien puppy in real life. [Laughs]

TVLINE | When I was on set last November, I was surprised by how many of your cast members said they were Team Michael. I thought it was going to be more evenly split.
I know! What’s up with that? I don’t get it!

TVLINE | And they haven’t changed their minds since then?
No, everybody’s still Team Michael on my show! Again, I try to not take that personally, of course, but I do send them articles and say, “Really, guys?” when people send me articles about my cast mates being Team Michael. Even Gina said she thinks she’s Team Michael. I think Jennie even said she’s Team Michael, and I went, “Wow, is Rafael just…? Alright.” [Laughs] It’s like Rocky. We all root for the underdog. It’s like Rudy. Michael’s like Rudy. [Laughs] That’s a joke, by the way.

Jane the Virgin Season 1 SpoilersTVLINE | Moving on to other Rafael problems, how is he handling Petra’s new very hands-on role at the hotel?
Not very well. When you have your ex-wife who was sleeping with your best friend who stole your sperm sample who set this whole crazy thing in motion now owning a piece of a hotel, it’s not an easy thing to deal with. But Rafael also knows how important this hotel was for his dad and how important it is for him. It’s the only thing he has left of his dad. So he’s going to do whatever it takes to keep it going.

TVLINE | Rewinding a bit, what was your reaction to the Sin Rostro reveal and your TV dad being killed off?
It’s funny, most of us don’t get to read the scripts until the table read because they come the night before and the shooting schedule is so crazy. So a lot of the reveals happen in the room, and I remember we all were just like, “What?!” and yelling. It’s so much fun to find out these major reveals. But I thought it was brilliant, and of course, I loved the guy who played my father. But it was an important step for Rafael. You start to see the chink in his armor.

TVLINE | Jennie said it would be the beginning of a big emotional arc for Rafael. Are you seeing a lot of growth with him in the upcoming episodes?
Yeah, you’re seeing a lot of growth. You’re seeing a lot of real, human behavior. You’re seeing the result of a troubled childhood. It’s a snowball effect. The snowball’s just picking up steam. One thing leads to another… There’s so much happening. You finally get a little bit of what Rafael’s going through.

1. Christine says:

Team Rafael for life!! I’m so sick of the CW ruining my ships. :(

2. JJ says:

I’m Team Rafael for sure!! I love Rafael and Jane b/c the actors have chemistry!!!

3. Rose says:

Surprised the cast is on Michael’s side. I thought I was the only one who liked him.

• Lea says:

Right? I thought I was the only one who liked him too.

• Marci says:

Hello, have you seen Michael, Vlada? He’s adorable and sweet and devoted to Jane. I’ve been upset with the show ever since Jane dumped him and started making out with Rafael two minutes later. Pretty slutty behavior for a young woman who’s supposed to be so good and “special.” If she ends up with Rafael, I’ll be done with the show. I’m not going through another Rory and Dean and Luke and Lorelai.

4. Dude says:

Team Michael! I don’t know what it is. Maybe I’ve just never forgiven Justin Baldoni for coming between Amy and Ephram but Rafael just comes across really sleazy to me. I feel like a lot of girls like him because he’s got a sick body and he comes across like a Disney prince but I’ve always felt like she had stronger chemistry with Michael and that he’s the guy who clearly appreciates her more while Rafael seems to think of Jane as some kind of way to turn his life around. Maybe if their relationship wasn’t as rushed as it is, I’d feel differently.

• Lauren says:

I love you mentioning Amy and Ephram, one of my favourite ships of all time! That was how I knew Justin Baldoni too. And team Michael all the way. They just have a real relationship where they know and respect each other. I feel like Rafael is just a fun new thing for Jane but I don’t think it will work in the long run. Plus Gina Rodriguez is always right!

5. Laura says:

I’m definitely Team Michael. I’ve got nothing against Rafael, he’s fine. I just don’t feel any chemistry between Justin and Gina. The writing carries them, in my opinion. Also Michael is adorable and sweet and perfect and flawed and I just want him to be happy. I’m glad the cast agrees.

6. Anne says:

Definitely Team Rafael, no offense to Michael. This is the closest I’m ever going to get to seeing Daniel and Betty together onscreen, so I’m on board 100%

7. B says:

i’m not a ‘ship’ person but the show would be pretty boring if it was just raphael and jane happily ever after, gotta have that classic love triangle drama

8. Kim Jones says:

Team Rafael and Rafael’s baby who does not want the man that wanted him dead and is trying to destroy his father as a step dad…Don’t see Michael as the underdog at all…Rafael is the one that had his sperm stolen and implanted in a women that has a crazy ex that is lying, tampering with evidence and not following procedure so that he can pin any and every crime on him.

9. Sara says:

Team Rafael for sure. I mean, have you seen the guy?

10. jerrired says:

Based on the original, I’m assuming that she’ll end up with Rafael in the end. However, I’m definitely team Michael. So it makes me happy that the cast is too, even if it’s a doomed ship that probably won’t be endgame. Great interview. So thanks Vlada. Justin does seem like a really good, nice guy, makes me almost feel bad from my past Everwood resentment.

11. Addie says:

Team Rafael for sure! I think if Justin goes online, he’ll see more people on his side. I’m actually a bit surprised that Gina flat out said she was Team Michael, I figured she would have been told to be a bit more diplomatic being the lead and all. Oh well. In the end, it’s just a TV show and I don’t hate Michael, I’d just rather he and Jane be completely over.

12. Peaches says:

Team Rafael, Team Jafael, Team Baby Daddy

13. phuong says:

Team Micheal I stopped watching for a while because I was mad that Jane broke a long term relationship and moved on so quickly

14. Safi says:

TEAM RAFAEL FOR LIFE!!! Rafael & Jane have great chemistry together and is having a baby together….

15. Gerry says:

Jane wanted the baby to have an intact stable loving family. If she marries Michael I see lots of trouble ahead between Jane, Raphael and Michael trying to decide how to split the baby’s time. I want the baby to have a full time mother and father that live together. I don’t think Michael will make a good stepfather for the baby. Jane believes in romance, etc. Would the writers give her and us this beautiful romance with Raphael and then yank it away. Hope not. Michael is obsessed with Jane, and will do whatever it takes even if it means lying or being dishonest to try to get her back.

16. Robin says:

Love a Rafael & Jane! One of my fave TV couples! Justin & Gina are brilliant together!

17. H says:

Team $$$. Rafael is loaded and if Jane should marry him and sustain her family (how exactly do they keep a roof on their head? Jane works as a maid/teacher and Xo has random jigs, their house is not small). if things don’t work out she can always divorce and become Petra 2.0.

18. Amanda says:

Team Rafeal ! Michael was getting frustrating.

19. jm says:

I am not team Rafael, but defenitely i am not TEAM MICHAEL. MICHAEL is a complete moron. I am Team Rogelio. :D

20. rachelle says:

Ugh. I’m Team Rafael all the way! No matter what happens. Just my luck, I’m sure the show will ruin his relationship with Jane in order to pair her with Michael. Yuck.

21. lily says:

TEAM RAFAEL 4 life!!!

22. GC says:

During hiatus went back and watched all episodes so I could decide on who Jane should be with I can’t see her back with Michael and honestly Michael is better to watch and more exciting with Nadine I cannot see Jane wanting Michael if she knows how quickly he and Nadine got together after their breakup Jane deserves to know that as this show has been about getting to the truth quickly Why are writers dragging their feet on this?

• Amanda says:

Ummmm she moved on FASTER than Micheal, she didn’t even change clothes! Kissing can be just as intimate as sex.

• B says:

i’ve seen the ‘michael moved on too fast’ argument before but really what was he supposed to do jane had clearly moved on (lol within a span of what 10 minutes?)

23. Yasmine says:

Micheal is not a very nice guy, he wasn’t honest with Jane, Rafael has been a lot more honest with her than micheal was. Plus micheal truly hate Rafael so I am pretty sure he will be a kinda of evil step father. He will never be able to completely love that Baby plus even xo who was soo team micheal cannot deny the love she sees in Rafael’s eyes or the joy in Jane’s. 2 more things. Aaron is a liar he told petra he heard a lot about her from zaz when they haven’t spoken in a while and micheal will probably die @ the end of the this season. The narrator did say till his last breath he truly believed that he was the best for Jane

24. Ella says:

TEAM MICHAEL!

25. Tess says:

Of course I’m team Rafael! It’s just so obvious. Jane & Rafael make a lovely couple why Jane & Michael are just way too boring. I would love to see Jane & Rafael raise their baby together and for them to overcome every obstacle that’s thrown in their way. Jane & Rafael look so happy together and I really want them to get their happy ever after in the end.

26. TW says:

TEAM MICHAEL ALL THE WAY. Something about Rafael is sleazy, gross & slimy. And him & Jane are so rushed, it’s ridiculous. He went from, “You’re like a sister” to “Hey, I really wanna bone you & maybe move in together” in three seconds. As for people saying Michael isn’t a good guy because he hid the truth of Petra’s affair- he did what almost anyone else would do whilst also giving Petra a chance to end it & focus on her marriage. Besides, he realized that wasn’t what he wanted & was actually willing to raise another man’s child & love it as his own if that was what Jane wanted. And here we have Rafael threatening to leak sex tapes & getting pissy because Jane didn’t wanna marry him after 6 months of knowing him smh.

27. Imani says:

Im team Rafael for reelz watching right now on netflix

28. Imani says:

Im team Rafael for realzzz watching it right now on Netflix

29. Carmen says:

Team Rafael all the way they look so good together I hope the writers realize it before people start getting bored with Jane and Michael. Gina should not pick the cast too. It looks to me that they don’t like Justin they suck she better marry Rafael he’s the baby’s father ….(team Rafael)