Jada Pinkett Smith Leaving Gotham

JADA PINKETT SMITH on “Fish Mooney” IN THREE WORDS | “Oooooh….. Vicious. Hot-headed. Delicious!” WHAT WE WILL LEARN |  “What you’re going to see eventually is who Fish is, and how she came to be this woman. How did she get into this mob world? What is her background, what is her story? That will be unveiled.” As for any possible love/lust interests -- be it Harvey or otherwise -- Smith laughs, “Fish doesn’t know a lot about love, but she definitely knows about having a good time!”

Jada Pinkett Smith is cutting bait.

The actress is leaving Gotham and her role as Falcone crime family lieutenant Fish Mooney at the end of the season.

“We’re done, I did my year and I had a good time,” she tells Extra, adding that Fish will go out with a bang. “The show is gonna [have] an awesome finale.”

Smith’s character loomed large during the first half of Gotham’s freshman run. But as of late, ever since running afoul of the Don, the affected villainess has been relegated to a standalone story based out of a dank basement repository filled with non-elective organ donors.

Most recently, in establishing a rebellion against her captors, she used a spoon to carve out her own left eyeball — which was promptly replaced by Dr. Dulmacher with a mismatched orb.

“I’ve always been a comic book fan so it was definitely a dream to be able to participate in an origin story of Batman with an original character,” marveled the actress. “Who would have thought in a million years that I would have the opportunity to do that?”

Fox renewed Gotham for a second season back in January.

In response to Smith’s announcement, the show’s producers released the following statement: “Fish Mooney’s storyline takes a lot of interesting twists and turns into the finale of season one of Gotham.”

1. I took it as a given from the start. I always figured she was a one season player.

• Ditto. We were sold on season 1 being all about the rise of the Penguin; it’s only logical that the season climax would involve him bumping Fish off and taking over her syndicate. I fail to see why this news is so shocking.

• Now, how should it end? I’m thinking the Joker kills her using his toxin, so that she becomes a Joker Fish — because her name is Fish :P (Joker fish are a well-known thing from the comics and toons, heh).

• Me says:

Comic book fans can be very annoying at times..you do realize that these shows are not watched by comic book fans alone right. My knowledge of Gotham is purely based on what has been shown in this show and recent batman movies, so yes! this is shocking news to me.

• I wouldn’t say that her being a one season player has anything to do with the source material. I say it has more to do with who the actress is. I for one never expected Smith to last on the show beyond one season.

• Isobel says:

Not a comic reader, just the animated shows but even watching Gotham alone is obvious she has to be killed off for Penguin to take over. Her storyline isn’t connected to the overall storyline anymore, there’s no reason for her to stick around

• big fan says:

I think that’s where the show screwed up with the character……I guess that’s the way when her character does leave it won’t end abruptly. cause she already disconnected….
            anyway still going to watch the show, can’t wait for more! good luck to all the actors and thanks for making the show worth my time.

• big fan says:

@Thomas J:

I don’t see the shock either, but I did like the villains, Penguin is becoming my fav now,

2. TV Gord says:

She mentioned that on Kelly and Michael this morning (which was recorded yesterday, I believe). She said she only signed a one-year contract.

3. Kaalyn says:

She’s pretty horrible on the show. Chews the hell out of every scene she’s in AND fails to be interesting in the process.

Hope Penguin gets to do it.

• Sally says:

I agree with you. I don’t care for the character. Maybe they can develop Oswald some more, or Riddler. I’d like to see more of Cat and Ivy and Barbara. They should make Barbara a cat burglar and she should use the other two as her minions. I dont think Barbara has what it takes to go from rich kid to cat burglar, unless they develop her some more too. I honestly don’t care for the police procedural side of the show, at all.

• sheri says:

I agree, the police areas are horrible acting too. Fish was HORRIBLY BORING so I’m EXCITED to see that character and very bad acting every show be GONE.

• Isobel says:

Agree I hope they move penguin and the riddler’s storylines along, Barbara I don’t really care for, while selina and Ivy and Bruce’s storylines I think will move very slowly given the actors ages

• big fan says:

I would like to see that too…..more character developing is always good.

• Candy Herzo says:

OMG, that would be awesome!

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree also. The character was more irritating to me than anything else. Way to over the top.

• big fan says:

I think that’s why I liked her character so much! I think a lot of this show is over the top…..but it’s a great show one worth watching week after week.

• Rachel says:

I really agree with your comment. I thought her character ruined every scene she was in, she was so over the top. Though to be fair, I stopped watching the show five episodes in. She might have gotten better.

• Ray says:

O’ Fish Mooney! (More like Oafish Mooney).

• Yuck says:

Of course he will. Penguins eat fish.

• c0rinne says:

Amen. She’s been tedious to watch from the start.

4. and she finally got interesting when she stabbed her eye out.

5. Sarah says:

I could have sworn I read that she was only doing one season from the start. So no major shock. And with the nuttiness and pointlessness of the body harvesting storyline it seems like they didn’t know what to do with her character at this point in the season. I hope they give her a fabulous farewell.

6. Rosemary says:

I am so glad she is leaving. I like her but no in the role of Fish!

7. dragons3 says:

She’s pretty bad, so I can only imagine it will improve the show.

8. Lysh says:

I stopped watching Gotham (I don’t know why) but I figured she would only last a season. Most baddies do.

9. A. D. says:

I figure this also from the get go.

10. Matthew says:

I figured that she would only be around for 1 season anyway I really didn’t see her character going much further past a season

11. obriensg1 says:

I gave up on the show last week. She bored me the most. Maybe I’ll check it out again on Netflix one day. Most shows have growing pains

12. Cas says:

I like her on the show. And I mean I can’t imagine she has that much going on outside the show but I won’t miss her that much. Hopefully they develop some of the other characters now! I really like Barbara and I wish they would use her more.

13. Charles says:

I’m glad. Whether she was directed to act the way she is or not, her character is awful. Straight awful. It’s one of the reasons I’m having a hard time taking the show seriously, and I think getting rid of her and stopping the attempts to introduce every batman villain ever will do them some good.

• Isobel says:

Agree they should work more with the characters they already have like penguin and riddler

• Jimmy says:

Couldn’t agree with you more, they are introducing way too many characters. I like the show overall, but think they need to scale it back a little with that. Also need to concentrate as Isobel says the current characters they have and tighten the reigns around Bruce’s character as well. I understand the name of the show is Gotham but it Bruce (Batman) is the reason we have a Gotham to begin with.

14. Nick says:

Yeah, I was sure that Penguin was going to kill her by the end anyway. No big whoop.

• Azerty says:

That’s was my theory since the beginning too. I hope she will be able to make it back to Gotham before the end of the season so we can be right. That’s would be a great step forward for Penguin.

15. Steven says:

Um, spoilers?

• eye says:

It’s a spoiler, but it when those involved with the show blatantly spoil it, it becomes clear that it isn’t supposed to be a secret.

16. Alex says:

I actually enjoyed her character. It is nice to see a strong woman role and to each is his own, but I thought she did an awesome job. I do however only seeing her character fitting into one season.

• Love Fish, sad to see her go so soon. I know it’s only one indicator but I was surprised to see how many more fans she had following her twitter account than anyone else on the show, including Penguin. All of the shows story lines have begun to drag.
      I loved Fish more with a baseball bat in her hand.
      I liked Penguin more when he looked for something to eat every time he killed someone with a knife. They made it seem a bit more dangerous on his own at the beginning. Now, they show him afraid and cowering behind Falcone. Would rather see him get over Falcone and Maloney.
      On these comic book sites she’s torn down. On Twitter and Youtube, she’s fan favorite.

17. Steve F. says:

Not surprised – seeing how Season 1 was supposed to establish the Penguin’s rise (and as Fish Mooney was created for the series), I figured she was going to be done by season’s end as the person that was gonna take a fall from grace. Wonder if she’ll be killed off, though…

18. Jon says:

And every discerning viewer rejoices.

19. Chad Smith says:

Her character never really struck a chord with me. No big loss as far as I’m concerned.

20. Jared says:

Love Jada but hated the Fish Mooney character on Gotham.

21. Matthew says:

Glad to see her go. She is one of the shows major problems. Major scene chewer.

22. Tina says:

While they’re trimming the fat, they can get rid of Barbara too. I can’t stand her character, and found fish way more interesting than her.

23. Deena says:

Like her but the character is horrible. Too over the top, even for this show. On to bigger & better things Jada!

24. LT says:

WOW. I’m shocked by these comments…granted, I stopped watching after 4 or 5 episodes, but she was the reason to watch for me, so it’s funny everyone didn’t like her.

• Joseph says:

WOW. I’m shocked someone actually liked her on the show. her performance was some of the worst acting in the history of television. Worse than any daytime soap opera. She’s the main reason why the ratings have dropped each week. And for those who think “she’s a strong powerful female character”… NO she is NOT.

25. mewp12 says:

too bad, I really liked her. She is about the only woman with any power on this show.

26. ChicagoDan says:

The character was boxed in when she was forced to flee Gotham. Fish’s story now makes no sense and is pretty bad.

• B says:

agreed, I liked her character when she was still in gotham it felt like she had direction while deceiving falcone

• A says:

Ditto. I like her character and her portrayal, but this Dollmaker arc is boring me. I would have preferred if they wrote her out by having her flee Gotham and be out there, biding her time.

OTOH, as long as her exit moves the main story forward, I’m OK with it.

27. Loretta says:

I am very very glad she is going, she was the main reason I stopped watching the show. I will
    watch next season with her gone. Thank you so much.

28. Dude says:

I feel like she shouldn’t have announced it, even though it’s obvious. Would have been cool to just be surprised by when she bites it,

29. Azerty says:

That’s the best thing that could have happened to the show. I didn’t mind her during the mob war but the Dollmaker arc definitly slowed down the show lately. Now make Morena Baccarin a regular and I will be back next year.

30. greg says:

She did a great job, i very much enjoyed her as Fish Mooney, she played it to the hilt.
    Good job!!!

31. Vinícius Schuchter says:

I liked her but, since the caracter does’t exist on the comic books, I was always wondering if they were making her too big, you know?
    If she was supposed to be a great villain, how come Batman never mentions her?

32. Anne says:

Thank goodness. I was happy when she got the organ donor story as it didn’t affect the other stories and I could fast forward through it. So glad to here this character is not coming back.

33. shalimarali says:

I loved Jada Pinkett on Gotham! She was one of the reasons why I watched. I thought her acting was superb. Her best ever. She will be missed by one of her biggest fans.

• big fan says:

I loved her too, and yes for me she will be missed but you know, “the show must go on” as for ratings going up or down without her character only time will tell us.

34. mike says:

Her character is utterly useless and will NOT be missed

35. Joey says:

As long as it somehow manages to wrap in the story of the Dollmaker with the greater Gotham mythos, I think it will be worth it. If he winds up just getting sick of her and killing her, then what’s the point?

36. Jane says:

Best thing that could have happened to the show. She and the character were horrible.

37. rehabber says:

That is to bad, she is one of my favorite characters and love her in scenes with Penguin.

38. I like Jada Pinkett but really didn’t like her character Fish Mooney on Gotham so I’m happy about this. :)

39. Matt says:

Fantastic news. She is a horrible actress

• big fan says:

I wouldn’t go that far, yes in that character roll (in some eyes) but as an over-all actor I can’t really say.

40. Paula says:

I love Fish Mooney and she was a big reason why I watche Gotham.

41. Amanda says:

I too figured she’d be killed off by Penguin as he became more of what we know from the comics, movies, and cartoons. I though did like Fish and Jada was great imo. I do feel like they need to trim the cast as well. Barbara really is only needed if they’re going with her as Jimmy and the 2nd’s Barbara’s mom, but they still could change that. Also the other two detectives have disappeared and I thought I read Nicholas D’Agosto and Morina Baccaran both will be promoted to regulars in season 2. Adding in the writers want to explore The Joker more in season 2 it makes sense with the shifting storylines and characters.

• Isobel says:

If Montoya isn’t in next season much and dr thompkins is then yeah I can see them promoting that relationship with Gordon and maybe having Barbara in a scene or two but not a big player till Leslie and Gordon split up

42. cee cee says:

yeah!! Now I can watch that show. I refused to watch because she was on there. She is a horrible actress!

43. kwyskiel says:

Awww, I love her character! She’s elegant and powerful. I just wish they could have offered to show a bit more of a character to empathize with slips of humanity tossed in.
    But wow, the outfits!

44. Hodan says:

I loved her character and all the craziness she brought with her. I am going to miss her.

45. Lizo says:

Well there goes my only reason for watching.

• big fan says:

that was my main reason for the show to and now……I’m hooked of course but it won’t be the same for me I don;t think, only time will show me that. but for me she will be missed-for now

46. S says:

I’m fine with Jada leaving, I just wish it had been kept a surprise, Gotham could use a gutsy and shocking move to attract attention, but now we all know its coming.

47. Jimmy says:

This isn’t necessarily surprising, and I have a feeling Penguin is going to be the one to end Fish, but I love Jada Pinkett Smith and I thought she was amazing on the show. Lately, the storyline for Fish hasn’t been amazing, but Jada has been a treat to watch, and definitely one of the better actors on the show. I’m sad to see her go, but I’m looking forward to seeing how she exits, it should be good.

48. Me says:

Gotham is just Bad! Fish was definitely a favorite of mine. Will be sad to see her go

• big fan says:

time will only tell if i stick around for more seasons too. but right now I hooked-not to many good shows left!

49. Dea says:

Is it wrong that I just did the dance of joy? I like JPS, but I never liked this character and am happy to see her move on to other things.

50. Babygate says:

See ya. Won’t miss ya. It’s true that her character has taken some ridiculous turns. Don’t blame her for bailing. I find Bruce, Alfred, Cat and Arkam to be the most interesting aspects of the show. E, Nigma is also pretty interesting.