Homeland Season 5 Eyes Time Jump, Location Shift, New Gig for Carrie

TVLine Thankful For

Homeland won’t be returning to the States in Season 5.

Despite buzz that the Showtime drama was headed back to the U.S. after a season spent in South Africa (standing in for Pakistan), exec producer Alex Gansa announced at PaleyFest Friday that Carrie & Co. would be putting down stakes in Europe.

“We’re shooting in Germany,” he told the crowd, before dropping an even bigger bombshell: “Carrie will no longer be an intelligence officer.”

The EP went on to tease that Season 5 — which is set to bow in September — will jump ahead two and a half years.

1. L says:

Hope they can wrap up some of the dangling plot threads from last season.. really want that pakistani intelligence lady to get whats coming to her

2. Jake says:

I’m glad they’re doing a time jump. Don’t really care about the Pakistini stuff, when it comes to foreign CIA stuff nothing is ever tied up in a neatly tied bow for America, so I’m glad they left it as is.. America lost. I wonder what quinn’s up to? Hopefully he comes back for all the episodes. Plus I like his relationship with Carrie so this time jump will be interesting to see what happens on that front. All in all, Germany sounds great, hopefully they’ll shoot there and use all the locations in Europe.

• Alichat says:

I believe Claire mentioned before the panel that they will be filming in Berlin. Doesn’t mean they won’t use other exterior locations, but I think that will be home base.

3. Jog says:

How are they going to do a time jump? They basically refused to answer anything they had set up in season 4 during the finale. How are they going to answer all of that 2.5 years later?

• Patrick says:

Its possible that is why they are doing the time jump. Now they can casually reference past danglers, or not, without having to go into a lot of detail. This is a plot device frequently used by writers when they don’t know where to go next. They can to a time jump, hit re-set on the whole shebang, and do brand new plots.

4. lululime says:

Chip Johannessen and Alexander Cary are also leaving the writing team. They were two of the original writers left, now it’s just Alex Gansa and Meredith Stiehm. I wonder if Howard Gordon will rejoin the show. I don’t think they will or should revisit the Pakistani story line. The mission failed and they are now forced to work with the enemy. I think that was the point of Season 4.

• Eduardo Jencarelli says:

Howard Gordon never really left. The only thing that keeps him from writing more episodes is the fact that he has multiple shows in production, keeping him busy. He didn’t even get the chance to even write the 24 LAD series finale.

Nevertheless, he still found the time to co-write Homeland 4.10 with Alex Gansa this past year.

And technically, the show still employs Charlotte Stoudt, who started in the very beginning as a writer’s assistant before getting the chance to become a full-fledged writer herself at the end of season 3.

• Tran says:

What about Patrick Harbinson? His best episode he wrote was that big game changer in Season Four Episode Nine.

• martina says:

They just released a press release that mentions both Alexander Cary and Chip Johannessen as exec producers. I believe that they‘ll stick around as writers as well, or not?

5. Amelie says:

Yikes! I wonder what this means for Quinn…

• A.B. says:

Actually I think this time jump works in favor of Quinn beign in the story. He was leaving on a mission with no set time so a two and a half time jump can actually wrap up his mission and he can be back and involved.

6. I need Homeland in my life….i miss Carrie

7. Grey's Fan says:

Wonder if that means Carrie will have her daughter with her in Germany?

8. Załóżmy, że rodzic ma grunty warte four mln złotych i zapisuje
    je w spadku swojej córce.

9. David4 says:

Every year that goes by it becomes more clear that this show should have been a 1-2 season show and just call it quits.

• Visitante says:

I found season 3 subpar with the previous two, but I liked season 4 a lot. They found a way to reinvent themselves and, while it was more straightforward than previous years, it was completely worth it.

I think part of the problem was the attachment to Damien Lewis’ character. It should’ve been killed/imprisioned/taken out of the picture before. He’s a terrific actor, but they dragged him around season 3 and the show suffered because of that. Blowing up the bunker on season 1 would’ve been brave and groundbreaking, a great way to say goodbye, instead of that soapy pacemaker-hacking plot.

Just my two cents.

• Julie says:

I agree. I thought season 4 was the best seSon since season one. The fact that the ending didn’t wrap everything up in a nice little bow makes it all the more realistic.

10. Jeżeli wybierze metodę miesięcznego rozliczania się z VAT to zobowiązany jest do comiesięcznego składania deklaracji VAT-7.

11. Nate says:

Damn two and a half years is pretty lofty

12. Jackie says:

State Department, I’m assuming? Interesting to see how they tie up the loose ends from last season with this big of a time jump and what opportunities could be missed because of said time jump.

13. Tran says:

Wonder if Haqqani will be back for Season Five even though he’s still in the wind somewhere and what about a possible return for Virgil? We haven’t seen him since Season Three Episode Nine.

14. Auf der Anfahrt sahen die ersten Einsatzkräfte bereits die Flammen in einer der fünf Wohnungen im obersten Stockwerk.

15. Alex Mindev says:

“Carrie will no longer be an intelligence officer.”

—- Excuse me? On a show about CIA &Covert Ops…Ok then, way to energize the fanbase :)

16. Jerri says:

Why hadn’t they cancelled the show yet? Last season was a huge mess.

17. Sabrina says:

Interesting news. I’m looking forward to seeing where they take the story in season 5.

18. Pati says:

omg this is huge, 2 1/2 years. Is Quinn coming back? he better. This is kinda exciting hope they don’t ruing the show. After last season I have faith. They completely turned around on the mess they created with season 4. I hope they don’t ruin int.

• Marissa says:

Based on what was repreported, Yesssss Quin will be back. However she now has a boyfriend, a lawyer.

19. Shirley Bryant says:

I can’t imagine the show will be near as good without the intrigue of protecting our homeland thru the CIA. That’s what attracted me when the series firsts began. I hope this is not a mistake.

20. Julie says:

They didn’t say that the show would no longer be about the CIA, just that Carrie would no longer be an intelligence officer. She seemed pretty disgusted with Dar Adal and Saul at the end anyway. Not sure if I’m optimistic about Quinn’s return. I really hope Rupert Friend comes back – I do enjoy the completely unhealthy relationship between he and Carrie. :)

21. James says:

I feel that the producers of Homeland folded to the fear of reprisals after the Charlie Hebdo attacks in Paris. That and criticism for their portrayal of Pakistan, and Lebenon.
    They can all play bad ass CIA spooks , but turn into chickens when the thought of any real terrorism might come their way.
    Come on! Like European terrorism is the problem of the day, with the likes of ISIL tearing around the world now.
    I won’t be watching these whips anymore.