Exclusive

American Idol Top 12 Theme Revealed!

American Idol is about to back that thing up.

TVLine has learned exclusively that next Wednesday’s Top 12 performance telecast (8/7c on Fox) will find the remaining Season 14 hopefuls revisiting their audition songs as they fight for a spot in a special Thursday sing-off.

Here’s how the next couple weeks will play out in the House That Made Katharine McPhee an Unlikely TV Star:

On Wednesday, March 11, Ryan Seacrest will reveal the five guys and five women who advanced from this week’s Top 16 performances based on the public vote. Judges Harry Connick Jr., Jennifer Lopez and Keith Urban will then name two Wild Cards to round out the roster of finalists.

That lucky dozen will immediately reprise the songs* that scored them Golden Tickets to Hollywood — only this time in an effort to win over America. (*In rare instances — such as Caleb Johnson’s Season 13 “Back to the Start” performance — contestants may wind up selecting a second audition ditty that they performed in front of the judges — one that did not air during their initial on-camera appareances.)

Thursday’s telecast (March 12) will see one contestant sent to the guillotine — with the remaining 11 finalists once again performing for the public’s fancy.

The following Thursday, March 19 — the first of Idol‘s new once-per-week schedule — will result in one more elimination (along with another set of contestant performances).

Then, beginning March 25 (the week after Empire concludes its freshman run), Idol will air on a Wednesday-only basis — combining performance show and elimination.

As a refresher, here’s what the remaining eight guys and twelve women (four of whom will be eliminated by 9pm ET) covered for their auditions:

Daniel Seavey — “Hallelujah”/”Straight Up”
Mark Andrew – “Soulshine”
Rayvon Owen – “Wide Awake”
Adam Ezegelian – “Born to Be Wild”/”I’m Yours”
Clark Beckham – “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World”
Nick Fradiani, Jr. – “In Your Eyes”
Qaasim Middleton – “Sir Duke”
Quentin Alexander — “Royals”
Lovey James — “Break Free”
Adanna Duru — “You and I”
Alexis Gomez — “Little White Church”
Joey Cook — “King of Spain”
Katherine Winston — “If I Didn’t Know Better”
Shannon Berthiaume — “The House of the Rising Sun”
Loren Lott — “Treasure”/”Saving All My Love for You”
Shi Scott — “Valerie”
Maddie Walker — “Suitcase”
Sarina Joi-Crowe — “Love Runs Out”
Jax — “I Want to Hold Your Hand”
Tyanna Jones — “Wings”

Excited for an encore presentation of the Season 14 auditions? Any theme weeks you want to see between now and May? Sound off in the comments!

1. Kevin says:

sarina joi crowe love runs out YASSSSSSSSSS

2. Pedro says:

Worst theme possible this early in the season.

3. Brandy says:

Not a fan of this theme. Seems like it should be one of the choices that they sing in top 3 week so they can do the comparisons…not spend a whole week on just this.

Also, because I can’t say it enough, the once a week format is going to suck. I love results shows, and I hate the added anxiety contestants have by not knowing if they’re safe before they perform.

4. Karen says:

Do we know if the two wildcards will consist of all the pustes top 24 contestants, or if it’ll only be from the one’s eliminated from the top 16? – I really hope it’s the former, so Savion still has a shot to make it!

• karenb says:

Oh I definitely think Savion is in!

• MAB says:

It will only be from the top 16 according to Mjsbigblog. All it is is that they we will pick the top 10 instead of the top 12. The judges will select two from the eliminated to make the top 12.

5. kcostell says:

So Idol’s going from 2 nights a week, to Thursday only, to Wednesday only?

Good luck keeping viewers through that!

• karenb says:

I think I will print out this article and put it on my fridge for future reference. Geez who can keep all of that straight?! Slezak, obvs.

6. Tom22 says:

Sure seems like an incredible number of songs (23?) for the band to prepare for in one week. Lack of rehearsal time for each kid and each song has got to limit creativity and polish. I’m not sure why we need two full episodes with 12 and 11 singers squeezed in (are they 1 hour shows again? wow). Maybe I read that all wrong.

• Tom22 says:

BTW I thought they did an excellent job with the guys last night, a few in particular really made the Motown songs have a fresh feel to them and the kids were really well rehearsed and together with the band. I haven’t heard the girls yet.

• blackheim says:

Well, unlike the contestants, i’ve seen some of the band with sheet music on stage. Assuming Rickey minor and the rest of them are studs at reading music, they don’t even have to know the songs at all.

7. Sean says:

I would love to see a Carrie Underwood week. She recently released her Greatest Hits: Decade #1. She is an amazing artist and the most successful American Idol winner.

8. Debbie Melamed says:

Hits by the Eagles

9. Melanie says:

Omg!!! Can’t believe that SHI didn’t make it. Absolutely love her. I would have put her in the top five category. Wow. Who’s voting?

10. James says:

I really like Joey Cook but I think Harry’s oblique critic is right: she needs to let go of that affected accent and cutie act and run with her voice. I’d love to see what she can do with that voice unleashed. The cutie pie bit is wearing thin.

11. I loved the Motown theme and it brought out the best in the top contestants. Tyanna’s selection was perfect. I enjoyed her “Rockin’ Robin” better than Megan Joy’s. Quentin and Qaasim did such a terrific job, too. I am enjoying this season immensely.

12. jan says:

would love to hear a past idol winners theme week. also a classic old country/rock week..

13. Barbara Owens says:

there is not one good singer in this bunch…too bad….will not be watching and as long as these same judges remain, I will not watch…they are terrible…this year’s crop only included the boring screamers and screetchers…pathetic and painful to listen to..hence, the reason I will not watch…

14. Rachel says:

Clarks going to win .

15. Cole Stringer says:

These R The Theames I Want To See This Season.

Rock,

Songs From Now And Then,

Love Songs,

America’s Choice,

Competitors Choice,

Hometown’s Choice.

• C says:

Love the idea of a Queen theme night. I still get chills remembering Kat McPhee singing “Who Wants to Live Forever” back in Season 5, if I remember correctly.