Exclusive

American Idol: The Top 24's Motown Week Song Choices Revealed!

They’re singing oldies, but will they be goodies?

American Idol‘s Season 14 semifinalists are gearing up for a second week of performances from Detroit — tonight and Thursday (8/7c on Fox) — and TVLine’s got the exclusive scoop on their Motown-themed song choices.

We’ve got the entire 24-track set list — but while all of last week’s performers prepped tunes and received some mentoring from living legend Aretha Franklin, only 16 of ’em will take the stage.

Four guys will be cut tonight and four women sent to the guillotine on Thursday based on last week’s public vote — without getting to step to the mic.

But let’s not get caught up in the horror of early eliminations — and instead focus our attention on who made savvy selections and who looks primed for a pelting with overripe tomatoes:

Top 12 Women
Adanna Duru — Lionel Richie’s “Hello”
Alexis Gomez — The Four Tops’ “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)”
Jax — Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell’s “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”
Joey Cook — The Miracles’ “Shop Around”
Katherine Winston — The Jackson 5’s “Who’s Lovin’ You”
Loren Lott – Michael Jackson’s “I Wanna Be Where You Are”
Lovey James — The Supremes’ “You Can’t Hurry Love”
Maddie Walker — The Jackson 5’s “I’ll Be There”
Sarina Joi-Crowe — The Miracles’ “You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me”
Shannon Berthiaume — Marvin Gaye’s “I Heard It Through The Grapevine”
Shi Scott — Stevie Wonder’s “Living For The City”
Tyanna Jones — Bobby Day/Michael Jackson’s “Rockin’ Robin”

Top 12 Guys
Adam Ezegelian – The Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back”
Clark Beckham – The Miracles’ “The Tracks Of My Tears
Daniel Seavey – Marvin Gaye’s “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)”
Mark Andrew – The Temptations’ “Papa Was A Rolling Stone”
Michael Simeon – Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On”
Nick Fradiani – Stevie Wonder’s “Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours”
Qaasim Middleton – Stevie Wonder’s “I Wish”
Quentin Alexander — Stevie Wonder’s “Master Blaster (Jammin’)”
Rayvon Owen – The Temptations’ “My Girl”
Riley Bria — Martha Reeves & The Vandellas’ “Dancing in the Street”
Savion Wright — Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On”
Trevor Douglas — Lionel Richie’s “Say You, Say Me”

What do you think of these song selections? Sound off in the comments!

1. Kate says:

Rockin Robin is going to trigger my Megan Joy-related PTSD.

2. Tom says:

Ugh. Theme weeks are back?? And they choose the most over-sung songs on Idol—they might as well have Randy Jackson telling the contestants to “be yourself and own it”

3. Alienate says:

This looks dull. Will prolly watch The Voice first.

4. Gailer says:

My fave Motown songs on this list are:

The tracks of my tears
    You really got a hold on me
    Ain’t no mountain
    What’s going on

Hope the singers do them justice!

5. Timmah says:

I don’t think I could have come up with a worse song list if I’d tried.

6. Kaba says:

Saw the eliminated men’s list…….
    Anyways, I expect a reasonably good night of music I suppose.

7. Leticia Prado says:

WHY, Idol. WHY????
    Dang, I was so hopeful for this season…

Meh.

8. Dale Cannon says:

MY KIND OF MUSIC…MUCH BETTER THAN NEW MUSIC…..CAN FIND OUT WHO CAN REALLY SING WITH EMOTION!

9. Cooper McMann says:

I was really hoping Daniel Seavey would go home and he’s the first one through! Ugh.
    I really like everyone else.

10. Mary Morell says:

The acoustics were not the best; it was hard to hear their voices!

11. Tonight, I was not able to see and hear all of the male contestants perform as the FOX network
    had Technical Difficulty. If this happened to enough people, the voting will be skewed and unfair to the people who performed in the first 15 to 20 minutes.

12. Temperance says:

Yeah, Stevie Wonder songs should be banned.

13. Shroom says:

Interesting to note that only 2 girls have picked songs that were originally sung by a woman (1.5 if you consider that Jax’s choice is a duet) – looks like they all want to avoid being compared to the original Motown singers. That said, Motown has also had a history of the same songs being performed by both male and female performers as the songs were rarely written with a specific performer in mind….. was there a point I was trying to make?

14. Jeśli naszym miejscem docelowym są tereny Polski to firma transportowa nie musi mieć doświadczenia w
    transporcie międzynarodowym.

15. Katlyn Dawson says:

Katherine Winston was robbed of a spot for top 16! She’s alot better than some of the knock offs that got a spot they didn’t deserve.

16. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this
    blog and I am impressed! Very useful info particularly the last part :) I care for such info much.
    I was seeking this particular info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

17. iane says:

After hearing joey cook on Thursday’s show…..I feel that she would be awesome singing Meaghan Trainors song All about that bass!!!

18. Nie wspomniała tylko, że dopiero po 1 miesiącu i tylko za każde kolejne 30 dni, czyli w praktyce
    L4 musi trwać przez 2 miesiące.