Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Spring Premiere Recap: Oh, the Inhumanity!

Agents SHIELD Recap Skye Inhuman

Coming out of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. winter finale, you’d think that all of the drama would revolve around Skye and her reaction to whatever the fresh hell went on in that temple within the underground alien city.

But you’d be wrong. Instead, when Season 2 resumed, we saw that the whole of Team Coulson had something to say, opine or fret about Skye’s rogue pursuit of Raina, Trip’s ultimately fatal following of Skye and the earthquake that resulted from it all.

First, though, we got a flashback to 1983, where Jiaying (played by Dichen Lachman) is checking in on a young man named Gordon — aka that guy with no eyes glimpsed in the winter finale’s coda — as he teleports to and from within a room. We learn that Jiaying serves as a counselor of sorts to these types,  that without her guidance their souls would be lost.

The S.H.I.E.L.D. team meanwhile is alternately assigning and deflecting blame for Trip’s death. Simply said, quarantined Skye blamesAgents of SHIELD Skye Spoilers herself for giving Trip cause to descend into the subterranean city — and Mack, for one, is inclined to agree. Coulson contends that Skye may have helped them avert a worse catastrophe; regardless, the director is determined to “crush” those at HYDRA responsible, once they are done scrambling in the wake of Whitehall’s demise. Speaking of….

With Whitehall dead, a cabal congregates to deliberate filling that “vacancy” in management. Bakshi is the obvious candidate, but he is now missing (in S.H.I.E.L.D. captivity) — and Baron von Strucker wants no more mistakes. Instead, Dr. List decided that whomever “removes S.H.I.E.L.D. from the landscape” gets dibs on the plum gig.

As List wonders if Whitehall’s fixation with alien tech begot them anything useful, we cut to the underground city, where Simmons has been testing for structural damage before imploding the place. Raina — or whatever she has become — begins attacking (clawing at?) the workers, then escapes on the elevator to the surface. A shaken Simmons reports in on the skirmish, saying that Raina was covered in… thorns… and asks to “come home.”

Back at HQ, Bobbi ADRIANNE PALICKIgives Skye props for being a “rock star” with her derring-do, but Mack — spooked as he was by being “taken over” by that “alien crap” — is having none of it. Rather, he lashes out angrily at Coulson and Skye and their obsession with the alien city in the first place. And as the argument gets heated, the room begins to mildly… quake. Coulson tells Mack that if Trip were alive he wouldn’t be “bitching” but “gearing up” to do what needs to be done.

Coulson pulls Bakshi out of his cell, to trade him to General Talbot for HYDRA help — but their convoy gets Michael Vaughn’d on the drive over, both Coulson and May “shot dead” in the aftermath. Bakshi is whisked away by Hunter (posing as an American HYDRA goon), who drops Bakshi off outside Bloom’s manse, after which Bobbi hops in the SUV.

At S.H.I.E.L.D., Simmons observes how Raina’s DNA (procured from the attack) has been rearranged with macromolecules into something “horrific,” teeing up her own anti-alien rant. As she puts it to Skye, “powers” are a plague, and we wouldn’t even need the Avengers if alien horrors hadn’t been unleashed into the world. (Me: “But… Avengers movies!?!”) Meanwhile in Puerto Rico, SHIELD_RainaCal is found by Raina, who asks — covered as she is with porcupine-like quills! — “What the hell have I become?” Because rather than evolving into some “divine” “angel,” she’s some “gnarled freak of nature” covered in thorns. (“You always didl ike flowers.”) She carps that Cal’s “thankless daughter” reaped the good stuff, or: “That bitch took what was mine!” Cal swats down Raina, then does a happy dance, mulling the prospect of “terribly afraid” Daisy needing his help. As for Raina, who wonders how she is to live like this? “Then don’t,” Cal coldly suggests.

Outside Bloom’s, Hunter taunts Bobbi about the secret she and Mack obviously are hiding; she covers by saying they’ve been hitting a “support group” for S.H.I.E.L.D. survivors. But Hunter’s skeptical about her self-help initiative, seeing as “emotionally healthy is not a phrase I’d ever use to describe you.” Inside Bloom’s mansion, Baksi posits to Dr. List that the baroness, the banker and the sheikh have targeted him; he then sends guards to surround Hunter’s SVU — but they are met by machine guns emerging from the side panels. Elsewhere, the baroness, banker and sheikh each get taken out, while Lance infiltrates the mansion to snuff Bloom. So many HYDRA heads lopped off in a jiffy!

Back at HQ, Mack HENRY SIMMONSapologizes to Coulson for his outburst, while Fitz observes that Skye’s heart rate is 300 bpm — which is not just very fast but “inhuman” (with a lowercase “i”). He suggests that Skye survived the quake because she “caused it,” that Raina isn’t the only one who changed. “There’s something wrong with you.” This reality freaks Skye the eff out, to the point that her anxiety sets off tremors and pops light bulbs. Afterward, with the others around, Fitz lies that Skye’s DNA matched her previous sample and is clear of any alien tinkering. (As he then explains to her in private, her DNA “drastically” changed, but it’s best to wait until everyone calms down from the earthquake crisis. “You’re just different now. And there’s nothing wrong with that,” he comforts her.)

As the episode winds down, Raina steps into traffic to end her life only to surrounded by S.H.I.E.L.D. troopers, then “saved” by eyeless Gordon, who apparates and then just as quickly disappears with her in his arms. (“It’s OK, beautiful. I’ll show you the way.”) Meanwhile at S.H.I.E.L.D., the toy “Lola” that Mack made for Coulson secretly does a scan of the director’s quarters, seeking out Fury’s toolbox. When Mack reports that it is in fact locked inside Coulson’s office — and that he has secured the blueprints for the base — Bobbi responds, “OK, I’ll make contact soon.”

But with whom?

Want scoop on S.H.I.E.L.D., or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Jane says:

And back in viewer’s living rooms, people are still aggravated about not knowing who/what Raina is…

• Jon says:

I’m thinking she’s a completely original character for the show. Possibly taking visual cues from Naja in the new “Inhuman” comic. But other than visual stuff I think she’s a brand new character.

• aplwrites says:

I thought she looked more like Lash. forget gender and the mere fact her appearance changed and her and Naja have nothing in common. Naja is scaley, changes color, and has wings. Raina’s tendrils, especially the hair, look strikingly similar to Lash’s locks.

• Sheila says:

I was surprised that I felt so sorry for her when she tried to commit suicide. She was one of the bad guys, but the actress nearly brought me to tears. The whole show was so good!

2. leahbh says:

I really was disliking Fitz there for a minute, but then I loved him again. Now time for Simmons to not be crazy. :)

• Tai says:

Right! For a minute, I was really not like Fitz. But then he came in and saved the day. And he went right back to being one of my favorites. I’m a little surprised by Simmons and her anti powers rant but given what’s happening, I guess it’s justified. Just hoping that fades away with time.

• Michelle Smith says:

I saw elsewhere that someone mentioned Jemma’s paranoia about a possible alien plague could stem with her own near-death exposure to an alien virus in season 1. Nice continuity!

• Thea says:

Between that and Tripp’s death (after all the flirting and tension between them), it really isn’t at all surprising that they went this route with her character.

3. The stench of Inhumans is revolting. They’ll never be the X-Men Marvel. Never.

• Jordan says:

It’s not like they choose to use Inhumans over mutants. They don’t have the rights to use X-Men so they used Inhumans instead. Not a big deal

• I’m well aware. Marvel will do anything they can to make the Inhuman’s there new X-Men since they don’t have the rights and the X-Men are a powerhouse franshise. Literally taking the themese from the X-Men and dropping them onto a set of characters that aren’t them isn’t right in my book.

• The Inhumans have always carried the same theme as mutant story lines. There biologies are different but mutants and Inhumans have very similar powers. Both of them have members that experience severe “deformities” for lack of a better word. They both experience bigotry and fear. However, where the mutants become generally known throughout the world, the Inhumans have always kept to themselves, partially due to fear of outsiders. There is something so tragic about a group of people with such incredible powers being so afraid of the “normals.”

• Arek says:

“Revolting”? Really? If something this inconsequential is revolting to you, you need to get a life.

• Marvel comics has been actively diminishing the X-Men in all of their print/marketing materials. The studio of course can’t use the characters due to rights, but I don’t appreciate a franchise I’ve followed for years have there metaphor and stories given to another group of characters. Yes,it is revolting. And yes, I will talk about it. I have a life that I love, and the XMen are a part of it. Excuse me for having passion. You’re rudeness was just the bad attitude Marvel has been giving out to X-Men fans.

• Greg Godwin says:

You do know that the inhumans have been a part of the marvel universe for decades don’t you?

• blackconvoy says:

How have they been diminished? X-Men is still one of Marvel’s top selling titles. It’s not going anywhere and Marvel hasn’t been giving any bad attitude to the X-Men fans. What they are doing though, from a smart business perspective, is using another property, which is very similar to mutants in general, and taking the themes from the X-Men and using it in the MCU. Just sit back and enjoy the show for what it is.

• Here is an idea: You don’t like the X-Men being diminished in Marvel U? Stop paying money for the abominations called the X-Men that Fox has been desecrating for years. No sales, they return the rights, and maybe we will get a good version of the X-Men (and stuff the “Wolverine rules” comment on the tip of your fingers. Jackman was a lucky break, an anomaly, and Fox screwed that up, too).

4. M says:

Bobbi and Mack are clearly working for Fury himself. It doesn’t make sense for them to be actual traitors and Fury probably still feels the need to hide certain info from Coulson, including what he needs from his toolbox.

• Dj says:

I thought about Fury, but anything he gave Coulson he would have copies of.

• Philip says:

They are skrulls! Calling it now! After all mockingbird was a replaced by Skrulls in the comics too

• kacey says:

Do they even have the rights to the skulls?

• Jon says:

Pretty sure those rights are still tied up with Fox and the Fantastic Four.

• Philip says:

Tv Rights and Movie Rights are not the same! As it was stated, Fox ( the channel) had to get the “ok” from marvel to start making the X-men series. So yes they have the rights for the tv. The only thing is… Do they want to promote something that belongs to F4?

• Dj says:

Marvel owns partial rights to the Skrulls. As for the TV movie rights not being the same. Well marvel or fox can’t make an x-men tv show without the other signing off on it.

• jazzi92 says:

yeah but maybe they were looking for the cube to keep an eye on it. Fury wouldn’t leave everything in somebody elses hands even Coulson’s without keeping tabs on it. And if they are supposed to observe everything, of course they would need to know where THE CUBE is :P:P:P:P

That’s the only explanation that I could bear after the shock I suffered after Ward :P

5. Dj says:

Great episode. I wonder who Mack and Bobbi are working for. I don’t think they are bad guys so could it be Tony Stark.

• catyuy says:

Tony was my guess as well. It could be another way to lead up to CA:CW.

• Dj says:

Yeah this is why I thought it was Tony. He could be starting his own Shield. When Hill was on the show she said some thing about Tony wanted to privatize a Shield like organization this could set up CA:CW.

6. Skittles&Bits says:

I initially disliked Skye’s character. I found her so utterly annoying I could barely get through a scene with her in it without cringing. Now, she’s not only holding her own weight, she’s on fire. The actress playing her has improved at an inhuman (I had to say it, forgive me!) pace; she’s really bringing quite a bit of emotional depth to a character that otherwise began as awkward/comic humor/eye candy. AoS is really turning around; can’t believe I’m this excited for next week’s episode.

7. Mary says:

I liked that Fitz covered for Skye for now. He’s right that it would be better for the others to calm down some more before they found out, though judging from the preview for the next episode they don’t get to calm down all that much or for all that long with Lady Sif showing up and apparently wanting to take Skye with her when she leaves.

8. laurelnev says:

2 possibilities for Bobbie and Mack: either Fury or Ward. My bet is that Bobbie has taken over for May as Coulson’s “monitor” now May has been made.I’m wondering WHICH blueprints they got. Maybe for the underground city before they flooded it out?

• Jay says:

The blueprints for the base. Mack wanted to make sure the ventilation system was working correctly while Skye/Daisy was in quarantine.

9. Pips says:

Did anyone else feel so bad during the scene where Coulson returns Tripp’s briefcase? It was honestly one of the most emotional scenes of the night (in my opinion)

10. James D says:

Is there something higher than an A because that was freaking fantastic. Great work from all involved especially Chloe. I love all the story arcs that have been set up. I hope they don’t turn on Skye because Quake is a total BAMF in the comics I want to see her let loose and kick some butt. I wonder what the deal is with Bobbi and Mac it better not be to nefarious.

11. luv2cook says:

Absolutely loved all of it!

• luv2cook says:

Oh and Bobbi and Mack are so working for Tony Stark!

• so happy says:

I never thought about Tony Stark! Great idea :0)

• Viv says:

Thought the same thing. Would make sense considering the next CA movie. And I can´t believe they are HYDRA or something like that. That would be to simple. Stark makes a lot more sense and it WOULD mean that Stark knows that Coulson´s alive and that would be great. But maybe they have us fooled and it´s someone else entirely.

12. Bark Star says:

What, no mention of Hunter vs. Hunter ? Or are you TVLine people too young to remember Fred Dryer ?

13. Coal says:

In all honesty Tripp’s loss wasn’t that big for me and I’ll explain why. The first half of the season was spent building up characters which whom we have an entire season to get know while Tripp’s character and role became more and more diminished. Especially for the fact that unlike all the other characters he didn’t have anyone to confide in or be open with, a bff of sorts so we didn’t get to know him more (e.g. Coulson and May, Fitz and Mack) no one would argue his character was the most likely not to be missed. They should have build him up more before killing him. That being said welcome back A.O.S.

14. TVPeong says:

I really enjoy shows where the characters grow, and we feel like we are taking a journey with them. Remember in the first season when we couldn’t (didn’t care enough to) distinguish between Fitz and Simmons. Now they are the heart of the show. Kudos to Elizabeth Henstridge and Iain de Caestecker.

15. Buttercup says:

While I love Agents of Shield and Skye’s character, I think the whole “person with powers runs risk of hurting people she loves until she learns to control them” story is getting repetitive. We saw it first with Elsa in Frozen and then with Emma on Once Upon a Time (who was helped in learning to control her powers by Elsa last fall). We’ve also seen it with Bruce Banner/The Hulk. I hope Agents of Shield puts a new twist on the story, or it will be deja vu all over again.

16. Nick says:

I personally think that Bobbie and Mack are Fury loyalists who do not want Coulson in charge. Thoughts?

• Dj says:

I would hope not. Fury put Coulson in charge for his own reason and if they were Fury loyalist this would be them going against what Fury wanted.

17. fan1am says:

Rather than inhuman, why is Skye not referred to as Super, after all they have met Thor and the gang!

18. Kudos for “Michael Vaughn’d”! Nice verbing of one of the best Abrams creations ever. Too bad those days are a distant memory. And thank the heavens no Whedon will go where no Whedon has gone before (that is, the deeper well of ego and hype)!