Exclusive

Outlander Video: How Caitriona Balfe Nabbed Her Role With One Line

Loading video...

“Stop! Help! He’s going over!”

Caitriona Balfe didn’t know it at the time, but the way she uttered those five words during her Outlander audition guaranteed that she’d eventually make the journey through the mystical standing stones. This exclusive sneak peek at the Starz series’ casting process tells the story.

VIDEO Outlander Trailer: Black Jack Is ‘Not Quite Finished’ With Jamie and Claire

The part of Claire, a time-traveling nurse who winds up married to an 18th-century Scot, “is the show, in a lot of ways,” executive producer Ronald D. Moore narrates. And when the Powers That Be heard Balfe utter Claire’s lines, co-executive producer Maril Davis adds, they’d found their Future Mrs. Fraser.

Add in the screen test with Sam Heughan, and it was a done deal. “As soon as they got together, we just knew,” Davis recalls.

The first half of Outlander‘s first season is available on DVD and BluRay on Tuesday. Until then, press PLAY on the video at the top of the post to watch Balfe in action.

1. Hurl says:

She is awesome

2. Liz says:

She is just great as Claire! And the chemistry with Sam is wonderful..
    Is it April already?!

3. anafraserlallybroch says:

Reblogged this on Ana Fraser Lallybroch Blog.

4. Laurel says:

They are both perfect for these parts.

5. Jools says:

The producers are so lucky they found the perfect Jaime and Claire. Such brilliant acting . I hope this series will keep going till the last book and end of their story.

6. Watching her in the commercials was one of the reasons I started to watch the series. At that point, I had not read the books. But, I knew about from it from people who did. In the books, Claire is a “women’s women” who is equal to Jamie’s “King of Men”. Claire is brave, smart, loyal, and practical. All of this within the whirlwind of the impossibility of time travel could have made this show laughable. With talents like Caitriona, Sam and the other cast members, the music, Ron Moore and the people behind the scenes, this show is so wonderful to watch. Thank you for bringing this to all of us.

• lori says:

I so completely agree. When I heard it was going to be a series I though, “no way will I watch that and let them ruin it for me.” However, after seeing the preview, I though I would give it a try. I love it, although I still consider the book series something separate. I’m glad it’s on and I echo your thanks to all involved!

7. Jackie O says:

I love the cast – everyone is perfect for their roles. I haven’t been this obsessed with a show since “Witchblade” … Good job all!

8. Barbara says:

I have fallen in love with the series, never before have i seen a show That is so spellbinding,great cast. Thank you

9. sharifeekes@gmail.com says:

Ron is right about Claire’s intelligence being key to her character. Catriona plays her brilliantly!

10. Sandi says:

I read Outlander because of the commercial where Fergus is standing over Claire asking if “something caught your eye there lass?” That was all it took; I got the book and have been hooked ever since on the books and the show. So well done and an amazing cast; love Caitriona and Sam, they are great but everyone in the cast is good; they’re doing an amazing job of casting; can’t wait for the second half of the season to begin!!

11. miranda says:

Outlander it’s best Show ever!!

12. mlr548 says:

these are my favorite books.I was a thrill to watch Jamie and Claire actually come alive off the pages.The casting is perfect and the sets and the detail is really something and then there is beautiful Scotland .

13. tsevca says:

It was never the intelligence, what made me like Claire. She is smart, yes, but it isn´t so obvious, because despite her being intelligent, there are still many things she doesn´t know, because she is in the world she doesn´t know. In books, Jamie actually lectures her more than she does him. So do other people quite often, because she gets herself into trouble often for not knowing how to behave as a woman in the 18th century.
    What I did like about her the most was how she is not hysterical, how calmly she takes very stressful situations and even has mood to joke about it. In her head and out loud. Every woman could be on the verge of break down in this situation, but not Claire. That´s what dissapointed me on the show a little. I still like it, but their Claire has been hysterical practicly the whole first half of the season. In moments when book Claire managed to keep calm, look not bothered and even have sarcastic comments, TV Claire looks like she´s about to have a meltdown. Like the wedding night. The book Claire felt bad about it before and after, but when it came to it, she did everything in her power to make it nice for Jamie and enjoyed it. From the moment they kissed for the first time (not counting the kiss in the church), they worked very well together. They had their issues, but they always, from that kiss, had fun together and once they touched, the problems were gone. But in TV show, I have to say, I admire Jamie that he managed it. Looking at Claire, all the courage would leave me if I were in his place. She still keeps having faces, anytime he´s with her, that the situation couldn´t be worse, that she´s this close from a meltdown. The way she handles it is more like we all would handle it, but that´s what I like the most in the books about her, that even in the most stressful situations, she managed it in cold blood. Even something like what happened to her in book 6.

14. segment banzai says:

Love the show. Makes me proud to be a Scot .Dialogue is great w all the Scottish Gaelic. It is different than irish. Jamie:makes my blood roar!

15. Caitriona is wonderful it this series she has absolutely owned the part of Claire. I have read all of the books at least 5 times and although she is not my Claire she has captured and owned the part. Caitriona has made me see faults in other actress work I can see through their work after being exposed to Caitriona’s acting. She is the best.