Ratings: Last Man Leads Night, Once Returns Up, CBS Dramas Slip

Last Man on Earth Ratings

The Last Man on Earth was not entirely alone after all.

Fox’s freshman drama averaged 5.7 million total viewers and a 2.3 rating across its double-episode debut, topping the night in the demo and standing as the No. 1 comedy launch of the TV season with Men 18-49.

TVLine readers gave Last Man an average grade of “B.”

Opening Fox’s night, Bob’s Burgers (3 mil/1.4), The Simpsons (4 mil/1.8) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.6 mil/1.8) all saw significant spikes versus their last fresh outings opposite the SNL special.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Once Upon a Time returned to 6.6 million viewers and a 2.2 rating, up 16 and 29 percent from its Frozen arc finale and down just 8 percent in the demo from its year-ago spring premiere. Secrets and Lies‘ two-hour launch drew 5.9 mil/1.5, up a good 60 percent from the most recent Resurrection/Revenge average (3.7 mil/0.9) yet mustering less than half of Resurrection‘s freaky strong year-ago debut (13.3 mil/3.6). TVLine readers gave the murder mystery an average grade of “B+.”

CBS | Madam Secretary returned to 11.4 mil and a 1.3, down 6 and 23 percent from its last outing. The Good Wife (8.9 mil/1.1) similarly slipped 7 and 21 percent. Battle Creek — which TVLine readers gave a “B-” grade — debuted to 7.8 mil/1.0, up in audience but down a tenth in the demo versus the CSI finale.

1. Neki says:

2nd comedy launch? Fresh off the boat started with 2.5 for 1st and 2.3 for 2nd episode(on wed). And The Odd Couple (sadly), did better, I think…

2. Tran says:

I have a feeling Battle Creek won’t last that long and the 10 p.m. Sunday night time slot remains a “black hole” for CBS despite when they have football overruns in years past.

3. Tran says:

Here’s my bold prediction for CBS’ Sunday night line-up next season (due to football overruns): 8 p.m. – Supergirl. 9 p.m. – Madam Secretary. 10 p.m. – The Good Wife (if it gets a final season).

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You keep saying that, but I don’t see them putting such a high-value property as SUPERGIRL on such a fluid, time-delayed night. Though I’m sure they could have fun promo-ing it to the football audience.

• RichCD says:

Supergirl will go Thursday @ 9p.

• Tran says:

It would be great but you think for some reason that if Supergirl gets placed in the 9 p.m. Thursday night time slot, does this mean it may go up against Blacklist (if it stays on Thursdays @ 9 p.m.) and Scandal next season?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I’d think that CBS would put its most family friendly drama in ages on at 8 o’clock somewhere. Plus, CBS would never bail on that second Thursday comedy hour.

• Tran says:

It’s OK Matt but don’t blame CBS. Would be great for the network to keep its Thursday night comedy block after football is done but who knows what will happen during the upfronts come May.

• RichCD says:

Then the only day left, really, is Monday. They won’t want to siphon/compete with Arrow on Wednesday.

• Nero tTVf says:

Interesting thought by RichCD – CBS placing Supergirl on Mondays at 8:00. That might happen – does CBS have enough faith in 2 Broke and MM in that hour, or do they/CBS turn over the night to dramas, and move 2 Broke and MM over to Thursday to help fill in there?

Perhaps the answer will lie in what CBS has to offer in the way of comedy pilots this spring. If the batch is strong, then maybe they hold onto that comedy block. If pilots are weak (as they were this season), maybe they have little choice but to fold on Monday and program a night a all dramas.

• Tran says:

I have another option. My bold prediction for CBS’ Sunday night line-up next season (due to football overruns): 8 p.m. – Madam Secretary. 9 p.m. – The Good Wife (if it gets a final season). 10 p.m. – Elementary or RETURNING DRAMA SERIES.

• Nero tTVf says:

Perhaps an even more bold move would be to just move all the dramas back one hour, and schedule in a new hour drama (in the more female-friendly vein of MS and GW) in that 8pm slot. Perhaps better to try new series at 8pm, getting more viewers sampling, and placing the younger Mad. Sec. at 9pm to begin to build around it. If Good Wife is indeed near the end, might be just as well to slot it at 10pm, with CBS hoping it can lure viewers (and/or DVR use) at 10pm, with viewers knowing this is the end of the line for the series and wanting to ensure they see how it wraps up.

But I think if we are learning anything from this season w/CBS on Sunday nights, perhaps best to programs new series at 8pm, and leave 10pm for the returning series, particularly those nearing the end of the line.

4. kmw says:

Good viewers for Madam Sec but not good for demo. Good Wife slipped pretty big too. Battle Creek, bad demo numbers, but not surprising given their lead ins. Good night for FOX. Last Man could be what FOX needs for their comedy line up. Good start for Secrets and Lies given what ABC has aired at that time slot. Interested to see what it does tonight

• Other than Resurrection and Revenge, there hasn’t been that many shows in that time slot. As for the actual rating, a 1.5 is what Red Widow got for its 2 hour premiere and Betrayal did for its premiere.

• Jenna says:

The Good WIfe needs to wrap up the campaign story pronto before the show dips even more. Last night’s episode was another disappointment after a big break. It feels like they’ve tinkered with the formula way too much.

5. Super bummed for Battle Creek. I loved it. :( I hope CBS gives it a chance.

6. Boiler says:

Someday people will figure out that the older population makes up a significantly higher percentage of the population now and our behavior is different than it used to be. If I were an “intelligent” advertiser I would want Mme Secretary’s and Good Wife’s SIGNIFICANTLY higher viewership than the shows they were up against. Fortunately CBS is one network that on the surface appears to get it!

7. Tahina says:

Bye Battle Creek!

8. JenInChicago says:

I was enjoying Last Man On Earth until Kristen Schaal showed up. Now I’m super bummed.

• Nero tTVf says:

I agree, although I think her casting in the role might prove a smart move. The writers want to show the level of frustration the lead character is experiencing – he’s desperate to find a woman, and look who shows up?

I wasn’t a big fan of KS when she was on 30 Rock, but here, on this show, I think she may do well – the casting of her is spot on. She was born to play this role – nagging, frustrating at first, but perhaps, with a chance to show a more ‘human’ side and softer side. Opportunity here big time for Kristen Schaal to win fans over – I think she just may do that.

9. suzyku says:

I really enjoyed Madam Secretary and The Good Wife however I’m “over” the Alicia running for office story line and tired of Bishop already. Time for them to move on and for Alicia to get back to being a lawyer. Also is Matthew Goode returning now that he’s been in Downton Abbey? I hope so.

• Shar says:

I agree.. Alicia needs to be back in the court room. I don’t like the way her character is heading + the girl really needs a boyfriend but perhaps not Ed Asner.

10. greysfan says:

If i didn’t know any better, Sunday looks like Friday right now with all these low figures.

11. HAP says:

Anyone have any idea as to why 2 1/2 million viewers tune off of CBS after Madame Secretary and not watch The Good Wife. Just seems so puzzling.

12. Jim J. says:

Another example of “Strange things will happen on Network TV”: A show gets above a “70” score on Metacritic, yet its premiere bombs because it is in a death slot. A 1.0 rating in the 20-to-50 demo is original-run suicide at CBS.

13. Shiloh says:

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” was pretty funny last night. One of the funniest episodes of the season; had a lot of stuff that made me love it in season one. Also, Rosa was smokin’ in that black dress. And….whatever happened to the whole Boyle/Rosa stuff? I’ve been missing that this season. IDK precisely why, but the actor who plays Kevin, Holt’s husband, I really like him.
    Totally bummed I missed “The Good Wife” last night. I had planned on watching this one, but forgot last night was the night the Ed Asner episode (which sounded intriguing in their interview here) aired. It’s been gone so long and I forgot to set my DVR. I did get to read the live-tweeting the Kings did, after the fact. I love those tweet sessions. It’s, pretty much, getting to look inside the mind of writing geniuses. Their insights and thoughts concerning why they wrote what they wrote, etc., are gold.

14. Jim J. says:

Also, “Last Man on Earth” is a potentially great comedy series with a “73” score on Metacritic, yet it’s gonna get itself bashed by the general public sooner or later. Because it’s on FOX, which is a last-place network. If “LMoE” gets cancelled after one season and if a spot for it can’t be found on next season’s schedule, FOX Broadcasting is pretty much gonna be stuck with boring old “The Simpsons” forever…literally.

15. Jenna says:

Bummed about Battle Creek. I enjoyed it! But it’s a crap time slot that would doom any new show. I guess CBS is more invested in CSI: Cyber.