Supergirl Casts the Heroic Helen Slater and Dean Cain in Top-Secret Roles

Supergirl Casting Cain Slater

How’s this for super-meta casting: Helen Slater and Dean Cain have landed guest-starring roles on CBS’s Supergirl, TVLine has learned.

Slater, of course, played Kara on the big screen in 1984’s Supergirl, while Cain starred as the Man of Steel in ABC’s Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. And both guest-starred on the WB/CW Superman drama Smallville, Slater in the role of Clark/Kal-El’s Krypton mom Lara, and Cain as the immortal Dr. Curtis Knox.

RELATED Supergirl Is (Sorta) Casting Superman

Details on who the pair will be playing in the pilot are being kept under lock and key (but feel free to speculate away in the comments).

UPDATE: Supergirl star Melissa Benoist shared on Twitter this behind-the-scenes photo of her with Slater:

As previously reported, Laura Benanti (Nashville) will play Kara’s birth mother, Alura Zor-El, who continues to guide her daughter across space and time.

RELATED Matt’s Inside Line: Supergirl Scoop!

The cast also includes Grey’s Anatomy‘s Chyler Leigh as Kara’s foster sister Alex, Homeland‘s David Harewood as Department of Extra-Normal Operations chief Hank Henshaw, Ally McBeal‘s Calista Flockhart as Kara’s boss Cat Grant and Desperate Housewives‘ Mehcad Brooks as Jimmy Olsen.

1. Dang. Now I’m conflicted…

• cdhaskell says:

It is no wonder that in June 2015 DC decide to drop the word New 52 from the book title. It have become an joke that no one won’t take serious anymore.

• jimmy woo says:

Don’t be

Boycott Supergirl

Boycott CBS

(Love Dean Cain though.)

• CBS is hopping that all the uproar will help Supergirl the series become a hit. Dean Cain will be playing Dr. Curtis Knox from the Smallville series. Helen Slater will play Superman birth mother also from the Smallville series. I don’t understand the need to used Superman birth mother in the pilot since the pilot is suppose to be about Supergirl on how she escape from krypton and land on earth. I am sorry Jimmy Woo that boycott CBS won’t work. It will help getting more people to watch the show. I would be suprised to see that there will be another Superman series either on CBS or CW.

• It would be odd for Jor-El or Lara to show up. It be gratuitous.

• Given the rumor that Kal-El and Kara will leave Krypton as newborns, it’s easy to conclude the show will alter the origin to show them leave together. I wouldn’t be surprised if they twisted it to say that while his ship arrived on Earth relatively immediately upon leaving Krypton, hers got delayed so that when she arrived he was older than her even though they left Krypton at the same time.

• so you cant read? they said who they played before, not who they would play on the new series….

• Davey Elmer says:

Kara is 12 when Krypton implodes. We might see her birth (hence the casting call for twin infant girls), though.

2. Cain is playing Superman, so that when Hank Henshaw becomes the Cyborg Superman he can reprise the role. How’s that for speculative? heh

• cdhaskell says:

I got a feeling that the series will give Cyborg Superman a new origin and hire one of the WWE wrestler turn actor for the role.

• Wordsmith says:

Except we already know that, for better or worse, Hank Henshaw in this show’s universe is a black man, which makes things complicated for your theory.

• Not necessarily. Remember, in the comics Hank Henshaw was a man whose body died and conciseness became free floating, able to control electronic devices. That consciousness stole the ship that brought Kal-El to Earth and used a sample of Kal-El’s DNA to create a clone body that was equal parts organic (using that DNA) and mechanical (using the stolen ship as a blueprint). REGARDLESS of who played Hank Hensaw, whether they were black or white, male or female, etc, if s/he were to become the Cyborg Superman, the role would eventually need to be recast and played by the same actor who played Superman. Same goes for Bizarro.

• Wordsmith says:

Fair enough. Still though… complicated.

• Well, they could have used Mister Bones instead…

It’s really no more and no less complicated than any other origin in the modern age of comics. Complex storytelling is smart storytelling. DC’s been chasing the “simplicity” of Supergirl being known just for being Superman’s cousin for the last decade like a dog chasing a car and they still haven’t been able to make it work, having had to reboot the characters multiple times.

3. ian says:

inb4 they play her Kryptonian parents

4. Liz says:

I like Hellen Slater she is cute

5. Tyler says:

Jor-El and Lara!

6. Nicole says:

Uncle Jor-El and Aunt Lara. Although I’d love for Slater to be an older Supergirl or Power Girl from the future.

7. Well they is really no secret roles for thes 2 actors dean can will be superman her cousin,and slater will be supergirl’a aunt. They should have asked Tom Welling to play him not Dean Cain

8. Big Z says:

Clark and Lois. CALLING IT!!!!!

9. If they removed Supergirl from this show, it would be an awesome Superman show.

10. Juno says:

Could this be more obvious? They are obviously playing Kara’s parents.

11. Gail says:

I agree they are Jor-el and Lara , Someone has to say, “Krypton is doomed”

12. Dj says:

How about jonathan and martha kent. Although Cain looks like he is in his 30.

13. Jon and martha kent mark my words

14. Cain = Lex Luthor, Slater = Lena Luthor. (Jor-El and Lara seems the most likely. The Danvers would be the more preferable).

15. cdhaskell says:

It will be interested to see what kind of role Dean Cain as Dr. Curtis Knox will play in the Supergirl. I got a feeling if the rating is great that he will make more appear in the series as her deadly foe.

16. spindae2 says:

Think they could play Supergirls foster parents.

17. They should cast Teri Hatcher also. Not like she’s doing anything at the moment.

18. Hopefully Syfy’s Krypton will manage to outdo this.

19. murley says:

My nerdy heart loves this kind of stuff. I think that Jor-el and Lara is a good guess and would be pretty great. Maybe the Kents but that feels more random and also way too much a part of Superman’s world exclusively. At least Kal’s parents have the Krypton connection. I could see Dean Cain as Perry White or even Lex (although it seems premature to introduce Superman’s nemesis as a guest star in the pilot and again it will root Supergirl too much in Superman’s universe. She needs to stand on her own some what). I am hoping their roles are related to each other though so of all those options I say Kara’s aunt and uncle. And that over her foster parents because given their previous roles I want them to be more entrenched in the mythos.

20. James D says:

shoot now I’m going to have to watch this. maybe with these two in it the show won’t be a total blunder

21. josue_can says:

I was thinking they would play Jor-El and Lara, which would make me super happy. But, I like the idea of them playing her adoptive/foster parents. Now, the only problem with that is they should be regulars and not just guest stars. So, I will lean towards Jor-El and Lara. Makes sense, especially with these two actors history with DC, and the Superman, Supergirl universe.

22. Dave says:

her parents lol

23. Jake says:

Nice maybe they’ll play Kara’s foster parents…. and hopefully some time the show will have Clark and Lois show up.

24. Amit says:

Are they playing the Danverses?

25. scribe says:

I say Cain plays Zor-El and Slater plays Kara’s Earth mum.

26. LauraVLover says:

Now we NEED Laura Vandervoort too

27. titoveli says:

Dean Cain playing superman father and Helen Slater playing supergirl foster mother just like the did in flash

28. jimmy woo says:

Boycott Supergirl.

Boycott CBS

(Dean’s OK though)

Thank you.

29. The comments section censors the word b*bies. Odd.

30. NP says:

I was so not interested in this show but the more cast members announced, the more im interested

31. Sparta says:

Helen Slater, so gorgeous. So very gorgeous.

32. AW says:

Fantastic! Now, I have to check out Supergirl!

33. AW says:

Fantastic! Now, I have to check out Supergirl! Wonderful!

34. Joey Padron says:

good casting. can’t wait to find out who they’ll play on the show! glad they’re be part of DC Universe again!

35. sophia says:

tom welling could have the role of a villain would be great!

36. iamkessuki23tw says:

this is one to not miss. laura benanti, helen slater, chyler leigh and calista flockhart are you kidding me!!!! i need to lie down.

• mia says:

I agree the casting is good. I hope the show does do well.

Theres a chance it could fall and become another lois and clark, it does very well for a few seasons. But is canceled after 3 or 4 seasons. Sadly its a hit or miss, I see this show doing more well on CW than CBS.

Supergirl on cable could be better, if I had to pick one.

37. Nicole says:

Please oh please let Cain play Superman!!!! I would love to see him reprise the character that turned into my second tv crush (JTT has the title of first tv crush lol)

38. lorna says:

Greay. Now every cw show will be a superhero, leaving less room for pther endearing shows. They better put shows on sun nights.

39. Jen says:

I dont know how Superman can be used, because if they do bring him in, the attention will go off Supergirl. If he does appear wait for a few seasons, otherwise it will ruin Supergirl’s character.

40. Fab says:

Tom Welling needs to be cast as starring as Superman on the show.

41. The Carpooler says:

Lots of sound, and lots of crazy theories here.

I think they are going to play Mr and Mrs Roper, Kara’s crazy landlords who live downstairs.

42. Restauracja już z zewnątrz zwraca na siebie uwagę.

43. Glenn Wakeling says:

cant wait or this. Helen and Dean Cain together in Supergirl it will be fantastic. Helen Slater must feel shes come full circle now and Dean Cain. Im just Super Happy to hear this, I wonder who will they be playing? Mellissa Benoist as the new Supergirl looks great and im sure she will be great cant wait .

44. mike allen says:

Love this show. What took so long? Oh and will supergirl be coming to the big screen anytime after the justice league movie? Thanks for letting us comment.

45. rho says:

I’m really hoping to see Tom Welling guest on the show. It’s been awhile since he’s really done anything since SMALLVILLE. His role in “Draft Day” was too small. We need to see more of Tom on TV. Afterall, not only was he the longest to play Clark Kent, he was also the best in my opinion and I’m sure others will agree.

• rho says:

I must admit, I was surprisingly impressed with Melisa Benoist. I’m really loving the cast too w/ Jeremy Jordan and Calista Flockhart!

46. MP says:

Keep it coming.This is an awesome series!
    Love the references to Bizarro, Red Kryptonite, et. al.
    Major kudos to Calista Flockhart for her interactions MPwith the “Millennia’s”!