Star Trek's Leonard Nimoy Dead at 83, Played the Iconic, Beloved Mr. Spock; Co-Stars Tribute 'Extraordinary' Man

Leonard Nimoy Dead 83 Star Trek

Star Trek icon Leonard Nimoy died at his Los Angeles home on Friday after a battle with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, his wife Susan tells the New York Times. He was 83.

In addition to playing the U.S.S. Enterprise‘s highly logical Vulcan science officer Mr. Spock on the original Star Trek series — which next year marks the 50th anniversary of its launch — and its six big-screen continuances, Nimoy reprised the role in two episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation as well asLeonard Nimoy Dead 83 Star Trek in J.J. Abrams’ first two Star Trek reboot movies.

The actor’s TV credits also included appearances on Fringe (as the nefarious William Bell), Mission: Impossible and the docuseries In Search Of… (which he hosted), plus voice work on The Big Bang Theory (as Sheldon’s Spock action figure), Star Trek: The Animated Series and The Simpsons (as himself).

“The word extraordinary is often overused, but I think it’s really appropriate for Leonard,” Star Trek costar George Takei said Friday on MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell Reports. “He was an extraordinarily talented man, but he was also a very decent human being. His talent embraced directing as well as acting and photography. He was a very sensitive man. And we feel his passing very much…. And we miss him very much.”

Nimoy’s Trek captain, William Shatner, in turn says, “I loved him like a brother”:

Nimoy also worked as a director, helming films including Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and Three Men and a Baby, plus TV episodes of T.J. Hooker, The Powers of Matthew Star and others.

But perhaps most special of all, Nimoy, as Spock, showed little kids such as my younger self that, you know what, it’s kinda cool to be the smartest person in the room. Here, he explains the origin of the Vulcan salute:

Earlier this week, Nimoy shared this bit of poetry on Twitter:

Leonard Nimoy, without a doubt, lived long and prospered.

More remembrances from Nimoy’s peers, colleagues and others his work touched:

1. Steve F. says:

Forever long you will live long and prosper in our hearts, Mr. Nimoy. RIP, and thanks for the memories.

2. Steven says:

RIP. I was hoping this was fake. I’m so sad now. He was great in Fringe.

• ScrubsGuy says:

So grateful that he took that role in Fringe. Saying “live long and prosper” seems so strange in this case, but the sentiment is helping me cope. Good night and good bye, Mr. Spock.

3. Tran says:

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER FOREVER. Thanks for the memories Mr. Nimoy. May he rest in peace. :-(

4. Tran says:

Star Trek has now lost three legendary actors: DeForest Kelley, James Doohan and now Leonard Nimoy.

5. Hannah says:

Oh no :( LLAP Mr. Nimoy

6. Grey says:

Nooooo! No, no, no. This makes me so sad. I know he was in bad health and 83 but it still makes me sad. He’s the same age as my mom and I grew up watching him. Rest in peace and thanks so much for … everything. :-(

7. J says:

Rest in Peace Mr. Nimoy. You are loved.

8. Sheila says:

Oh, my aching childhood! So sad!

9. Annie says:

I am heartbroken.

10. Leigh says:

It is only logical to say RIP.

11. Luis says:

You will live forever in my mind and heart. R.I.P., Mr. Nimoy

12. murley says:

A legend and a gentleman. My heart is with his family. It is alway a sad day when we lose an icon.

13. Lois John says:

so sad for this great loss, to all of us that always loved to hear his comments on Star Trek on how this is logical. Mr. Spock you will be missed.

14. CJ says:

Such a tough loss. He meant so much to me and to many, many others. What a legend. RIP, Mr. Nimoy.

15. TV Gord says:

I am a huge Leonard Nimoy fan, but I’m not mourning his death so much as celebrating his life. I just watched The Bangles’ video, Going Down To Liverpool, which he directed, and it made me so happy to see it again. I bought the special two-disc edition of The Wrath of Khan back when DVDs first started coming out and never watched it. Now, I know why I bought it. I’ll be watching it with friends this weekend. He seemed satisfied with the life he has lived, so I’m not feeling bad today. I will miss him, though. I’ll have to watch some key Fringe episodes this weekend, too!

16. Teresa says:

It is just too sad that we will not be graced with the legendary and beloved Leonard Nimoy. He made scifi cool. My prayers are with his family and friends. Too bummed to say more. You were the best Mr. Nimoy

17. The Carpooler says:

A legend. An icon. A human. I hope is family finds peace with his memory and legacy.

18. Beam him up, Scottie…I am so sad, but thank you so much for enlightening my childhood with STAR TREK…

19. Bernard Baum says:

Mr Nemoy’s famous Kohan sign will finally touch the face of G-d ,as he is welcomed into Hashem’s countenance . You are admired, loved and will be remembered for your graceful presence , superb acting abilities, poetry and being just an all around ‘Mensch’. Go boldly forth .

20. Teresa says:

I must add that I loved him in Fringe and Star Trek, but mostly because of how he shared his gift of acting. He will never be forgotten.

21. BrianR says:

So sad. I grew up watching him on Star Trek, Mission Impossible and so many other shows. But Spock is the best role and he brought so much humanity to a role that was supposed to be alien. Live long and prosper Mr. Nimoy and you will always be remembered as an actor who never just showed up but gave everything to each role he played.

22. Rincewind says:

Reblogged this on Erotixx and commented:
    Oki, guess a Star Trek flick is in order now… RIP Leonard Nimoy

23. Olivia says:

Sad :( He will be missed. RIP Leonard Nimoy

24. Pat says:

I was so sorry to hear this. During the 60’s, this was one of my favorite shows. Leonard, you will always be remembered by me as Mr. Spock. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family and may you REST IN PEACE. I am signing off with the Vulcan hand signal.

25. Sheri says:

I grew up watching Star Trek and enjoy watching the reruns today plus all the big screen movies on my DVDs. Thanks for tje memories Mr. Spock, R.I.P,

26. Q says:

R.I.P MAESTRO!
    You was hero of my aching childhood!
    Bon voyage back to Vulcan.

27. topoopon says:

“You have, and always shall be…my friend. Live long and prosper.” #LLAP

28. John says:

Of all the souls I have encountered, his was the most….human

29. Rest in peace. You will be missed by millions. May your spirit stay in the stars and in our hearts

30. Broker nie przejmuje ryzyka kursowego związanego ze zleceniem klienta na swoją działalność statutową, choć formalnie broker jest drugą stroną
    transakcji.

31. lori says:

So sad to see him go. Thanks for all of the memories.

32. Diz says:

RIP. He was great in everything I saw him in. He will truly be missed.

33. Marty Hunt says:

One of the best programs ever made and mr spock is one of my favrite tv caracters of all time, i am almost in tears this is so sad, thank u leonard thank u 4 everything u hav given frm spock 2 william bell, i wont 4get u, live long and prosper

34. Mel says:

RIP, Mr. Nimoy. :'(

35. geriann says:

R.I.P. Mr. Nemoy. You didn’t see that smile very often when he was playing Mr. Spock, but when he did smile it was wonderful. I will miss the though that he in the same world with us.

36. Tori says:

Very sad day. His Spock exemplified all that was true, best and honorable. He was the most human of all.

My deepest sympathy to his family and my fellow Trekkies.

37. mike says:

We have re – runs of Star Trek every Saturday night. It doesn’t matter how many times I’ve seen them, I still watch like it was the first time. R I P Spock.

38. James D says:

I’m incredibly sad about this. My fondest memories of my childhood was watching reruns of Star Trek with my father. While I’m of the TNG era I always recognized the brilliance of original series that brilliance was in no small part due to the immensely talented Leonard Nimoy. I’m eternally grateful for the joy he brought me and my dad Thank you sir and may you rest in peace. LLAP

39. T says:

I have a Mr. Spock figurine sitting on my computer desk. He is one of the most iconic characters of TV. Everyone knows the Vulcan greeting. Rest in Peace, Mr. Nimoy.

40. greg says:

Leonard Nimoy aka Mr. Spock what pleasure you gave me and millions of other fans Thank You. May you R.I.P……………….

41. Martha Mitovich Leiss says:

Saddened to hear this news. I know this saddens you as well. Many, many memories of watching Star Trek together as kids.
    RIP Mr. Spock

42. Zoe says:

We lost a true television icon today. As a second-generation Trekkie, Mr. Nimoy had a huge impact on my life. He will be sorely missed

43. frustratedwithbadtvshows says:

So sad to hear about Leonard Nimoy’s passing! Wonderful actor and voice over actor. Talented director! Rest in peace!

44. Jenny says:

What sad news. RIP Leonard Nemoy.

45. mdbchud says:

To quote Dr McCoy, “He’s not really dead, as long as we remember him.” Mr Nimoy’s talent as an actor and grace as a human being will always be remembered, now and beyond the 23rd century. “I have been, and always shall be your fan!” Thanks for the memories.

46. kmw says:

Rest in peace Mr.Nimoy. You will be missed

47. Rafael says:

Although, the third rebooted Star Trek film gets aired in movie theaters by sometime in 2016. I know this is already Leonard’s final film appearance by then. RIP Leonard Nimoy.

48. Z taką pomocą nie ma szans by nasze dywany wyglądały jak stare,
    niepotrzebne rzeczy, dlatego pranie dywanów to coś z czego będziemy zadowoleni.