Ratings: Empire Up Again; Goldbergs, Dunphys and Laura Surge; Idol Dips

Modern Family Ratings

Fox’s Empire this Wednesday drew 13.8 million total viewers and a 5.3 demo rating, rising 6 percent and a tenth week-to-week.

That 5.3 also marks the highest rating for any network drama since Grey’s Anatomy circa September 2010.

Chart attack!
Empire Ratings

Opening Fox’s night, Idol’s Top 12 guys did 10.2 mil and a 2.6, down 5 percent and two tenths week-to-week.

Elsewhere….

CBS | Survivor opened its 30th season with 9.9 million viewers — its most watched premiere since fall 2012 — and a 2.3 rating, down 15 percent in the demo vs. last cycle but off just a tenth from a year ago. The Amazing Race returned on a special night to 6.1 mil/1.5, on par with its year-ago opener and up sharply from this past fall’s Friday launch.

NBC | Bubble drama Mysteries of Laura‘s Will & Grace reunion (7.6 mil/1.4) surged 30 and 27 percent. SVU (7.7 mil/1.6) grew in audience while flat in the demo. Chicago PD (7.3 mil/1.5) slipped two tenths.

ABC | The Goldbergs‘ Ferris Bueller tribute (7.5 mil/2.5, tying a season high) and Modern Family’s iPisode (9.3 mil/3.4) each grew three tenths in the demo. black-ish (6.7 mil/2.3) and Nashville (4.9 mil/1.4) each ticked up one tenth, while The Middle (7.4 mil/2.0) slipped two tenths.

THE CW | Arrow (2.9 mil/1.0) slipped two tenths; The 100 (1.8 mil/0.6) rose 26 and 20 percent, marking its second most watched episode of the season and a season high in the demo.

1. liame says:

Arrow sucks. I stopped watching once Laurel became the new BC, ugh, she’s horrible.

• Ann says:

Arrow is still pretty good. But you’d be happy to know that Laurel gets her butt kicked as BC. She’s pretty dumb.

• Kar says:

Yup its bad i skip it now

• onelastemperor says:

Laurelpocalypse aka the Canary trilogy was so bad, I was going to stop watching myself, but I didn’t and, well, this episode(Nanda Parbat) was awesome, so all the suffering kinda paid off, now I’m actually looking forward to the rest of the season)

• Larry says:

I’m still watching but I agree with you about BC. The producers took way too long to introduce her as BC. I’m having problems believing her transformation this year. The only way I’m going to accept Katie as the BC is they give her the iconic sonic cry. Otherwise, she is the weak link of the team and her backstory is just not that exciting. Plus I think her costume and wig are TOO dominatrix.

• schumi8 says:

Not really loving the friction in general within the team since they came back after Christmas. The ending of last night’s episode was also kind of a given…pretty much a Batman rip off!! I still don’t really understand Oliver’s decision to save Malcolm at all costs. I’m starting to miss the days when laurel was the only one who made stupid decisions.

• Merina says:

That one I understood. As soon as Digg said “why are you doing this” I knew. He can’t live with the fact that somebody beat him. He not so secretly wants to go up against him again to prove that he’s the best, that he can defeat him. Stupid and egotistical but that’s Oliver.

• Dude says:

Laurel has been awesome this season. You Olicity stans are just so blinded by unwarranted hatred that you refuse to see it. The only person who’s been “the worst” this season is Oliver aka Mr. “I know what’s best for everybody even though my life is an f-ing mess”

• Lizo says:

Laurel is awesome. And her journey to become a hero in her own right is inspiring.

• wrstlgirl says:

Yes, it’s inspiring me to change the channel.

• jm says:

Do it and take As…ole Oliver with you. It is so sad that i like all the characters but the main lead. Oliver has been annoying all the year long. Even Rory who i disliked from the beginning is growing on my. Thea also… the weak link Oliver.

• DL says:

Never minded Laurel. She didn’t have great storylines last season, but I think Cassidy is a talented actress, and I like her much better this season being in the know and on the Arrow team. I think it’s always been a matter of the writers not quite knowing how to utilize her.

• Rich Abey says:

Arrow doesn’t suck & Laurel isn’t horrible anymore (okay still horrible but not a much as in Seasons 1-2) but her Lipstick does suck..that dark shade is a complete eye sore!

2. Tran says:

My bold prediction for NBC’s Wednesday night line-up next season: 8 p.m. – hour long comedy block or NEW DRAMA (if Mysteries of Laura gets canceled). 9 p.m. – Law & Order: SVU. 10 p.m. – Chicago PD.

3. Tori Coop says:

#LOLSVU

4. Yoki says:

Love Mysteries of Laura!

5. Empire keeps killin it. Can’t wait to buy Jamal’s version of You are beautiful

6. Jared says:

Can someone please explain to me the obsession with Empire?! Seriously, it’s just ok.

7. Missy Kelly says:

I have been DVRing Empire and haven’t taken the time to watch it. Every week, the numbers go up so I realize I am missing something great! Initially, I recorded it because of Taraji P. Henson, this weekend I must make the time to binge watch.

Arrow is very dark, it would be nice if they could add some charm. Teya probably would make a great Canary – she’s kicking butt.

Laura still charming but please change the name of the show to reflect its ensemble rather than a star because I think I’d still watch it without Debra Messing.

8. saynay says:

Yay, The 100.

9. Thomas H says:

Worst episode EVER of Modern Family, The show is suffering this season for whatever reason. I think I done with it,

On the other hand, GOLDBERGS has become a favorite show at our house. My wife and I like all the 80s references. My teen daughter just finds it funny!

• RUCookie says:

I liked last nights’ Modern Family – I laughed a lot at the inferences to Claire/Phil to the perceived Haley mess.

• HAP says:

Wanna bet on how bad the MF episode was? I predict it be their episode submission for Emmy consideration. It was comic genius.

• Sara says:

I gave up watching MF a few months ago, but caught this one after reading the reviews (thanks Matt!!). It was the best episode of the show that I’ve seen

• Rich Abey says:

Modern Family has been a blast this season & this iepisode is the best of the season and on par with last season’s amazing “Las Vegas”.

10. Thomas H says:

Oh, and I watched ARROW this morning. I think this is maybe the strongest season yet,. A lot of strong character development and moving characters forward.

11. Gerald says:

Arrow was fantastic last night (except the Atom and Felicity thing – really don’t care if he stays in Starling city, that is The Arrow’s city to save). The 100 is getting to be more and more a joke each week. I’m curious about some plots but can’t stand the characters…. any of them. I’m surprised the ratings have gone up.

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree The 100 is getting more and more ridiculous. The whole Mount Weather thing is way to drawn out I don’t even care anymore. Last week’s episode was nothing but filler. Clarke has become very unlikable, at least for me. The character is just not believable, same for Octavia. What is she some kind of War Princess now, lol.

12. justsomeguy says:

Laurel becoming the BC is why I gave up on Arrow. The actress isn’t convincing enough to pull it off, the costume she wears is ridiculous, and the Laurel character was better off not being the BC.

13. Luiza says:

I stopped watching Arrow. I’m not a huge fan of this Ra’s story or how they handled Oliver’s almost death. Thea story is pretty boring too and for God sake, the A.T.O.M. storyline is terrible. I hope it gets better. I really loved the show.

14. kmw says:

Empire is just on fire I cannot wait to see what they get for their finale. CBS did pretty well considering, and really the only reason Laura went up was the hype over Will and Grace reunion. Actually ABC did pretty well too. I cannot get over how well Empire is doing. FOX at least has this night to be happy about

15. Nick says:

I predict that the Clarke/Lexa kiss will have a huge impact on next week’s ratings for The 100. Hopefully it’s a positive impact, because everyone should be watching this show.

16. Pia says:

I’m just here for the chart.

17. Bwhit says:

I really like PD episodes that are Antonio centered, love his character!