Supergirl Scoop: Grey's Anatomy Vet Chyler Leigh Cast as Kara's Sis

Chyler Leigh Supergirl

Supergirl is putting Chyler Leigh back in scrubs.

The onetime Grey’s Anatomy‘s MD has joined the cast of CBS’ prospective series in the regular role of Alexandra “Alex” Danvers, Kara’s (Glee‘s Melissa Benoist) confident foster sister whose fascination with her sibling’s powers inspired her to become a doctor.

The summer dramedy Taxi Brooklyn, on which Leigh starred, will not return for Season 2 on NBC.

SupergirlAdditionally, Homeland‘s David Harewood (more recently seen on ABC’s late, great Selfie) has signed on to play Hank Henshaw, a onetime CIA agent who now runs the Department of Extra-Normal Operations (DEO), which tracks extraterrestrial threats on the planet Earth. (Fans of the comics will know that Hank Henshaw is famous in DC Comics lore for being Cyborg Superman.)

The pair join a cast that also includes Desperate Housewives alum Mehcad Brooks (as Jimmy Olsen), Nashville‘s Laura Benanti (as Kara’s Krypton birth mom) and Calista Flockhart (as Kara’s boss).

And in a major-ish behind-the-scenes development, Andrew Kreisberg will serve as an exec producer-writer on Supergirl alongside his Flash and Arrow colleague Greg Berlanti.

1. In the comic books, Mister Bones is the leader of the DEO. Bones is a black man who has no skin. If they’re going to hire a black man to play the leader of the DEO, why not use Bones?

2. Kat says:

Okay, I must have missed the official announcement that Taxi Brooklyn is dead… after a Cliffhanger like that… Thank you VERY much -.-

• CBWBDK1 says:

Same. I liked taxi brooklyn.

• Rich Abey says:

Okay it wasn’t 24 but for a summer show it was quite addictive & charming. After the first 3 episodes I was a bit hooked (my eternal adoration of Chyler Leigh non withstanding). Miffed. Still we will get to see Chyler on Supergirl soon!

3. KAREN V. says:

NBC has only 1 good show on TV, and now it has canceled Taxi Brooklyn. Big Mistake. It came very close to competeing with CBS. My husband & I both watched it every time it was on. Who picks the shows at NBC? The Mysteries of Laura is thte only show left now.

• KAREN V. says:

Now I see that CBS has scooped up Chyler Leigh, after NBC gave up their best show.
      That is why CBS is on top.

• Wordsmith says:

For the record, NBC is actually the top network right now in the important 18-49 demographic. CBS has more viewers, but apparently they are all very old people or something.

• Wordsmith says:

Though, if Mysteries of Laura and Taxi Brooklyn is what you are holding up as good television, we may be grading on a radically different scale.

• Very disappointing news about Taxi Brooklyn. However, I am part of the “old geezer” community and watch absolutely NOTHING on CBS. I gave up Blue Bloods because it was so darn preachy even though I like Tom Selleck. Like many viewers, I watch very little network TV – mostly cable shows, NETFLIX, and PBS.

• Babygate says:

A disclaimer should be added to that statement though. NBC has the top spot on the demo only because of football and to a lesser degree, The Voice. Without them, NBC would be competing for a third spot at best.

• Dude says:

The fact that you think Mysteries of Laura is NBC’s best show tells me a lot about your taste.

4. Dean says:

Damn I liked TB. Ah well she gets to play supergirl’s sis even trade.

5. Drew says:

Are the Arrow producers stretching themselves a little thin? This season of Arrow has been the weakest by far. The Flash is great, which makes sense, since all of the effort was being made to get it off the ground. But will those shows now suffer even more with their producer/writers focusing on Supergirl?
    I’d have been happier to hear that Kreisberg was going to be making more of an effort to have some sense of logic returned to Oliver Queen. His decision making skills (and fighting skills for that matter) have been way off this season. It’s getting hard to stay in his corner.

6. Ray says:

Prospective series? I thought Supergirl was a definite for CBS’ fall slate. Won’t the incur a severe fine otherwise?

7. Letti says:

So Meghan Ory didn’t get the role of Alex… But I guess I won’t watch anyway.

8. TVNerd says:

Wasn’t this already ordered to series for next year? Also, where does it fit in with CBS’s procedural schedule or multi-cams???

9. Joey Padron says:

good news Andrew will be a producer and writer on the show. the show could be good with Greg and Andrew working together for a third time for a show.

10. Rich Abey says:

This is an impressive cast. With David Tennant added to the mix as Mr. Purple, Supergirl might be a super show afterall!

11. Babygate says:

Awesome news! I have been waiting for Chyler to get a new TV gig, she’s phenomenal. Still miss Lexie so much but I wish Chyler the best and much success to this new show. They have a really solid cast, hope the writing can do it justice.

12. Riana says:

So she’s playing a doctor again. But it’s Not Another Soap Doctor.

13. Tiffany says:

Well I wanted Elizabeth Lail ( Anna) on Once Upon A Time to get the part but it went to Chyler. I’m happy about that. Love Chyler. She will always be Lexie Grey to me. Sad about Taxi Brooklyn.

14. Tran says:

Chyler Leigh is a good choice to play Kara’s sister but people felt bad about the cancellation of Taxi Brooklyn (NBC) and great to see David Estes from Homeland (blown away in the Season Two finale) back on TV.

15. shutuprob says:

Alexandra? So, she’s going to turn out to be the show’s sister-of-Lex, Lena Thorul? They’re gonna have a long row to hoe to make a character more interesting than Smallville’s Lena, Tess Mercer.

16. meatwad says:

Like so many others have said, my biggest takeaway from this article is that Taxi Brooklyn won’t be back.